What Jow Forums memes did you fall for?

What Jow Forums memes did you fall for?

Attached: 7nhd3Z5.png (785x757, 123K)

frogposting, it was fun at first but now it's like telling yo mama jokes to adults

none, because I'm not a gullible fool

Installing GNU/Linux

gentoo, thinkpad, mechanical keyboard, DAC, headphones, C, free software. Also I'm on all the private trackers, but that was before I frequented Jow Forums

They were never fun. Mildly amusing at best.

That ditching web dev and transitioning into embedded would pay off in terms of both life quality (read: "not wanting to kill myself") and salary.

Neither turned out to be true.

trackball, while it is much more comfy the technologies inside it (sensor, refresh rate, max speed/hangs, buttons) are much inferior, and supposedly this is valid for pricier ones too.

Frogs are just as bad as posting rage comic stuff and I can't believe that frog posting hasn't died yet. Same with wojak.

GNU/Linux and ThinkPads. Both are wonderful.

Calling Linux GNU

GNU/Linux, C, Thinkpad, Minimalism, Unix Philosophy

buckling spring - loud as shit
mechanical keyboards, cherry - temperamental as shit, alps - still temperamental but much better for tactical feedback, topre that people will try to talk you out of - unironically good
thinkpads - shit screens, good otherwise
nexus 4 - glued together shit
ikea memeus - good build quality for the price
debian - shit
gentoo - good if on a high core count desktop and only after you've spent a few weeks installing everything you'll ever need so you don't need to spend an hour or longer installing something like dolphin which has a bunch of kde/qt deps
usb dac - actually seems decent for the price but even on my hard to drive headphones it's no different from onboard on a motherboard which has reasonable onboard audio, maybe if you have a laptop or a shit desktop mobo they make more sense
'audiophile headphones' - had em before Jow Forums but Jow Forums edged me towards getting a pair of studio headphones with a flat response which I do like and am thankful for (but I do eq up the bass)
trackball mouse - I got the m570 which has godawful build quality but it's top tier for using in a bed or on an armchair or on something where you have no space, a little better than trackpoints and a lot better than trackpads
probably some other stuff I'm forgetting
also this the only thing Jow Forums really convinced me to buy was the thinkpads which is probably the thing I like most, the rest of it I probably would have bought otherwise

Linux and ThinkPads. I never fall for the programming memes. I fucking program for a living and I know not to listen to these fags saying that C++ is shit. I use it on a daily basis and know that C++ is one of the greatest languages you can learn and use.
Only memes worth falling for are Linux and ThinkPads.

Because Wojak and Pepe aren't fucking rage comics. Reaction images prevail over all. Pepe and Wojak are mere reaction images. They express our emotions at all times. There is a Pepe for how you are feeling right now. They are a form of expression.

>debian - shit
The only thing Debian is bad at is installing properly without fucking up your drives (which is a huge problem that needs to be fixed before I ever touch the distro again). Otherwise, solid as hell.

>gentoo - good if on high core
Hell no. It's own installation commands don't even work sometimes. Gentoo is not good at all.

Except wojak came from leddit

Xiaomi Redmeme Note 4 (worth it)
Gentoo (not really but at least I learned something)
I tried to fell for debian but got lost in their website
Plan 9 and 9 front (worth it but increased my hatred for software)
SICP and Lisp (not worth it although few new algos and theory in SICP)
C++ (abomination without solid replacement)
C (I can only see its ugliness)
mpv
not using reddit
cockli mail

Attached: lies.png (480x320, 192K)

We made it good.
We improved upon it, making it truly our meme.
Reddit never improves upon our memes when using them, therefore what they are doing is pure meme theft.
And of course, when we fixed Wojak, Reddit stole it.

dont you manually partition? i never had problems with drives or paritioning on any distro other than fedora (it somehow fucked up mbr on a windows dual boot but that was a one time thing)

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

shame, we could have made him /oneofus/

Attached: carlos-ramon-the-magic-school-bus-5.46.jpg (210x240, 17K)

Any chance u can get me in there

>Self built gaymen computer
>Thinkpad
>Mechanical Keyboard
>Xiaomeme Phone
>Audiophile Headphones

No, Debian has this weird in-between system where they ask you how you want it partitioned (very minimally, too, a lot of it is just pre-determined) and then it does it for you.
And it sucks at doing it most of the time. You'll have success in VMs.
HDDs have issues with Debian installations though. Your PC won't even boot up from your HDD because it can't read it properly and doesn't detect an OS.
You can fix your drives by uninstalling Debian and installing another OS instead (I know from experience, I tried reinstalling Debian three times before I realized it was Debian's fault (to which then I looked into it to be very sure, and it is) and switched over to OpenSUSE).

honestly I was mostly memeing with those two, I'd recommend debian before gentoo in a heartbeat, my disdain from debian mostly comes with the obtuse manner that seems to come with the defaults for someone not used to debian derivatives which still irks me every time I have to do something on my debian box but otherwise it's not a bad distro at all, although I think if you're going to use it on a desktop with unstable/testing you may as well use something else
also the debian openssl vulnerability was highly amusing

This.

The "Sad" Pepe became "Rare" then "Smug"
Wojak was originally the "Feels guy"

After weird comics showing Pepe bullying Wojak the meme evolved.
Pepe started to represent the "Bully" &"Cunning"
Wojak started to represent the "Cuck" & "Bullied"

The meme further politicized during Trump's election
When Pepe became the "Kek god of Alt-Right", and Wojak started to represent "SJW Leftists"

Wojak variants keep popping up as the "Onions boy" & "Pink Wojak"

Pepe & Wojak memes survived for years.
Rage comics popularity waned.
But Pepe & Wojak keep going for some reason.
I wonder why.

>topre
thats what im buying lol
>shit thinkpad screen
thats why im getting ips

its like im dodging all the bullets

so is it pretty much confirmed that linux as a whole has issues installing to desktop
i am seeing a lot of installation problems as faults with these distros

the ips on my x200t was tainted with the screen door effect form the touch sensor, to be fair my thinkpads are all core2duo era so the screens were especially bad then but the newer model ips screens should be fairly nice

linux is pretty shit at a lot of things on the desktop, you shouldn't be using it if all you want out of it is an osx/windows replacement
for some perspective though I've had bugs on the windows 7 installer before where it won't show any disks if you had a gpt disk installed with the recommended solution being to disconnect those disks before installation

>newer
how about x230 with ips 768p?

should be fine but can't speak from experience
the worst screens were always the tn panels anyway

Chinkphones, but they're a good meme.

Alpine LINUX use musl instead of GNU-Glibc.
Void LINUX has a musl version too.

GNU coreutils are bloated and need to be replaced. Plan9 suckless.

Attached: longcat.png (1126x10000, 1.45M)

>optimizations = bloat
The state of Jow Forums

>plan9 cat vs gnu cat meme
yes, well documented, commented, licenced and authored code with more features, love it or hate it, more portable, support for localisation, etc, is the inferior program here, SLOC is all that matters, if only gnu cat got rid of that and could just import libc.h it'd be abotut 40 lines too

Attached: portrait.jpg (500x335, 19K)

>that picture
Jesus fucking Christ, is that Rob Pike?? I really hope this is the results of some good photoshop skills.

unfortunately it's true, he has a little more dress sense at conventions but still sticks to the god awful brightly colored large frame circular glasses

Attached: 2wl0lc2urs8z.jpg (838x855, 80K)

>GNU coreutils are bloated and need to be replaced. Plan9 suckless.
Suckless are autists that think the sole reason anyone has ever done anything differently is a lower IQ. GNU does need a lot of refactoring, but the verbose designs usually have historical justification and accommodate a lot of weird use cases. It's also insane how fast they are when handling large amounts of data (which does happen even for simpler tasks).

>but still sticks to the god awful brightly colored large frame circular glasses
pic related

Attached: Rob_Pike.jpg (399x421, 23K)

More features is indeed the point. gnu cat is not more portable than plan 9 cat

I had to reverse image search it, but yeah... What the fuck is up with those meme t-shirts as well? He's fucking older than my dad for crying out loud...

This is how he used to dress, back when he gave a talk at my one of the first USENIX I attended.

How did he transition from a modest nerd to a hipster gay start-up CEO?

Attached: rob-pike-usenix.jpg (331x405, 60K)

Wojack came from a Finnish chan.

Wojak is an eastern european meme though.

life

That is what a person who gave up on self sufficiency looks like.

Attached: what_in_the_fuck.png (295x378, 206K)

wojack wasn't "that feels guy"
he came from a Finnish chan and is pronounced with V not W

Pepe is still sad frog in my heart.
>feels bad man

Its from Krautchan actually and was created and called 'a warm man' in polish by the tripfag called wojak

my mistake, i eat dicks
thanks for the clarification user

*German
It came from Krautchan

>I wonder why.
Because of edginess and russians

Linux distros being usable as desktop operating systems

actually from Krautchan (RIP)

I felt for all of them

> Having a Home Server for Plex and NextClound
>The old IBM ThinkPad meme
>The new Lenovo Thinkpad meme
>The Raspberry pi meme
> The Go Programming Language me,e
> The self built gaymin computah
> Arch Linux
> IKEA furnitures
> 16 Gb of ram on my desktop
> OnePlus ChinkPhone
> Mechanical keyboard that makes a lot of noise
> DuckDuckGo

I have becoming one with Jow Forums

Xiaomi

>shit memes (returned or resold immediately)
Thinkpad t420 and x220
Mehcanical Keyboahd
Dual-pivot monitors
Linux on the desktop
Home cloud and mail server
Chink phones
Expensive headphones
>good memes (still used)
Vim

I watched Yuru Yuri because of "Jow Forums-chan, daisuki" threads.

it was fun

Attached: 1513178434786.png (1320x1520, 992K)

Traps are gay meme

Now I know they're totally not gay...

ATH M40x

Attached: 1514433125120.png (1248x728, 47K)

Nigga, no. Wojak (the person it's named after) posted it on krautchan, yes, BUT he found it on vichan.

seen a lot of people talking about mechanical keyboards here but what's wrong with them? i do like mine but i have meme-tism so redpill me hard

i got mine on sale for half off on black friday so i guess i'm lucky but what do you find bad about them?

They just make a lot of noise and not necessarily better (read not more comfortable to use/not making you type faster) than any cheap keyboard you can buy from Logitech.

>More features
Aka bloat

They hurt to wear

Thinkpad X60 a few years back. For reasons I don't understand, despite having other superior machines, it is my cosy couch computer.

wait really? i've always had a big head (6'4) and thought it was only because of that, didn't know that other people had that problem. what other headphones do you recommend?

Thinkpad t420s

I don't have a big head (I think, I'm not a big guy) so I don't think that's a factor. I don't have any recommendations for better headphones, but I've heard that getting different pads for the M40x improves comfort, though at the cost of affecting the sound.

What didn't you like about your headphones? seriously interested, I got mine way before Jow Forums and I think they are a good investment, at least, what I got are not the best sound wise but in terms of comfort and durability they are awesome, but I get the point where you want simplicity and not spending shittons in audio, sometimes I just cant justify, spending every year around 50 bucks in replacing earpads, when for a little more I can be buying a brand new cheap logitech headset, and be done with it, and don't minding if they break or if you trash them too hard.

i messed the post, it was meant for

i worded it poorly, actually did like them just that they hurt my head

It came from yilauta you filthy newfaggot

Blame suckmore faggots

plex and nextcloud are good though
also since when is ikea a Jow Forums meme?

Pic related.

Attached: 1525890627004.png (767x750, 189K)

>What Jow Forums memes did you fall for?
Only Thinkpad, and I don't regret it.
The best piece of technology I ever bought.

Attached: Untitled.png (578x536, 7K)

quite good pepe thread

Attached: 1527969021201.jpg (399x385, 29K)

mechanical keyboard - my wired one is great but the bluetooth module in my other kinda sucks
4k monitor, which is so far the only way I've found to make windows font rendering not shit
arch linux (via antergos because I'm lazy) and it's pretty nice, but mostly zfs is nice and snappy
flawless mouse sensor, it's alright
DAC/$300 headphones that aren't advertised, it's great I started giggling uncontrollably when I first heard them compared to my previous bose earbuds
home server
16gb ram
not having friends

>C

Attached: 1512474952196.png (600x600, 57K)

I wouldn't say Linux is completely awful. Before I got my new job as a software dev, the company was running their platform on Linux. It was great. They made the transition to Windows 10. Windows built-in functions continue to fail us and have weird unexpected outcomes. One such occurrence, Windows has somehow added 4 kB to our binaries which fails our validator. It's been quite the process figuring out how this has happened.

Stax

Attached: 81Xij-j5ayL._SL1500_.jpg (1116x1500, 278K)

Using a Linux distribution on the desktop. Not anywhere near as hard or bad as what you'd expect from naysayers.

Free software. Attempting to use more free software and less proprietary software outside of fields where that's not feasible, like gaming. Not 100% sure so far, but I can say that kdenlive is many times better than any other free video editing program I've tried.

blue yeti microphone

also fury x meme gpu

Attached: me rn.jpg (240x210, 5K)

arch linux

Attached: casting rage.jpg (225x225, 12K)

Arch, thinkpad and learning to program
loving it desu

buying a fucking Thinkpad T400 and installing fully free GNU/Linux Operating System called Trisquel

Attached: saint-ignucius.jpg (655x480, 36K)

I actually already was on a bunch of Jow Forums memes before I first started browsing: Arch, vim, tiling window manager, C and Haskell are best langs. SICP was something I got to more recently.
I think with my next paycheck I might jump ont he libreboot Thinkpad meme.

>t.brainlet
Gentoo is good unless you are an utter brainlet

Is Ikea furniture a meme? I'm swede so 95% of everyone's furniture is ikea

Could it be the DOS EOLs it adds to every goddamn file you open with code in it? If your binaries are compiled from a lot of files, that could account for some/all of the 4kb

Moto G5 Plus
Linux
Botnet Paranoia

multiple monitors = productivity meme

Attached: tempo_os.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

>cherry switch keyboard
>lelnovo chinkpad
>webcam tape

ssd raid on sata 2

I'd say most of those things on that list are pretty good memes. Especially, used ThinkPads, chinkphones, self hosting and free software (fuck arch and gentoo).

Why is Pepe smiling as he's about to punch you? Seems unnecessarily cruel.

Wojak and Pepe are literally the non-normie versions of emojis
I want rage comics to come back tho, they were the shit

Attached: 1524308973189.jpg (603x324, 105K)

I was already using a ThinkPad, Gahnoo/Linux and Vim before discovering Jow Forums. I still happily do to this day.
After discovering Jow Forums, I fell for
>chinkphone
>quality headphones
>cutting off g*ogle from my life
All of them turned out to be great memes which I don't regret at all. My experience with Jow Forums is definitely a net positive.
Thank you.