/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: AndroidPIT-Sony-XZ1-compact-7422-w782.jpg (782x440, 70K)

XZ2 Premium when??

Attached: 1521479254190.png (1080x1057, 726K)

Taking the opportunity to be at the top of the thread.
Selling Pixel 2 to get an OP6, good idea or nah?

Attached: 9k=.jpg (237x213, 8K)

horrid idea

Fuck. Thing is I'm getting tired of the ginormous bezel. I'd like a fullscreen phone and it doesn't seem like Pixel 3 is gonna be very good if the leaks are to be trusted.

wait for one week

What happens in one week?

Besides the leaked notch why wouldn't the Pixel3 be any good?

>biggest notch on a phone so far
>still a full-sized chin

Most likely because of Google's trend of excluding the micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm jack. Happened to all the previous Pixel devices.

Why?

next week there'll be some announcments

Is the mate 10 pro worth 550 euros or what other phone should i buy? I want a big battery, 5.5"+ screen nfc

A very very bad idea dude.

Trading Honda for a BMW.

Asus zenfone 5z this month, bout damn time.

>under $200
>4.7in or below
>at least 3GB ram
>decent camera, by decent i mean better than xiaomi note 4x
>don't really care for anything else

what would you suggest, spg?

X Compact

>around 100€ dollars
>phone
>europoor

What should I buy? I just need a phone. Anything really. It would be nice if it had good battery life and a 1080p screen. But I don't really care too much. I don't game on my phone. I just want to use WhatsApp, get and receive calls and watch some YouTube and surf the internet.

100€ or less, or a few eurodollars more. I don't need anything fancy.

But it needs android too before I forget. And if its easily rootable/"romable" that would also be nice cause bloatware is shit.

Does anyone here have a ZTE Nubia M2? How is it?

>love my Xperia XZ to death
>whore for new technology
>find out the XZ2 has removed the headphone jack
>decide to stick with my XZ until it dies because fuck this backwards industry
>get 70% off retailer employee rebate
>buy one anyway

I AM WEAK KILL ME NOW

lg v40 vs xz2 premium

the wait begins, hold me boys

Attached: 1493526000865.gif (633x758, 14K)

iphone 3gs

Shitty screen to body ratio is what killed Japanese smartphone industry

Yeah, not like the OP6 has an SD slot either. Not him but I'm considering the OP but because of budget, otherwise I'd go for the Pixel 3.

Both manufacturers are making ridiculous compromises and you'd waste money buying either of them.

nokia 1 2 or 3

any confirmed bootloops for lg G7?

So what other option is there? I like Samsung and currently have an S7 edge but the battery has lost like 40% capacity in barely a year and a half so I don't know if I want to stick with them going forward. The Note 9 looks like it's going to be an S9++ too

It's the camera quality on the new mi8\mix 2s worth it over the note 5? Performance won't be a issue since I'm not a gaymer

>I like Samsung and currently have an S7 edge but the battery has lost like 40% capacity in barely a year and a half so I don't know if I want to stick with them going forward
That's the problem, flagships aren't worth it like in the days of the S5. It's either an edge gimmick, a notch, the lack of micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm jack (often both), subpar battery life - but all at a ridiculous price.

Just got a Nokia 7 Plus

Attached: 1p9nvp.jpg (411x310, 24K)

How is it?

please advice some hipster smartphone which will just show everyone how retarded and nonconformist i am. Old windows mobile 2003 became mainstream and it also not really usable (i need whatsapp to write mom that i got home). I have only found golden blackberry q10 but it doesn't have soul, i think

Attached: ncludr_ads_2.jpg (160x300, 59K)

get something like an oukitel k1000 so you can brag about how you don't give a fuck about aesthetics, you just need a big battery to text your mum how big your poos were and compare dick pics with your dad

Attached: file.png (1078x1300, 93K)

get the mate 10 (non pro). It has a jack.

Reminder that there is no good current smartphone right now

Would anons say that a brand new phone with OLED 1440p(500-600pp) screen, snapdragon 835 tier processor for 300-400 bucks will be available within a year or two?

Attached: __assassin_fate_stay_night_and_fate_series_drawn_by_ikiyouz__1da1d7fe0c0477230bb68180664cc3ce.png (530x331, 128K)

Premium chinkshit is an oxymoron and I don't really understand the buzz about the chinkwei p20

If you're buying anything that's more expensive than that new xiaomi m8 or the one plus 6, seriously consider a premium counterpart by companies that know what they're doing

Is Oneplus 6 worth the extra 120 dollars over Nokia 7 Plus

Attached: 005WXnBXly1fro1vhi6qjj31401o0e81.jpg (1440x2160, 1.4M)

blackberry is nice company but their new phone definetly have iphone vibes and it's pretty sad

Attached: blackberry-keyone-mercury-4.jpg (728x455, 39K)

Is Nokia 7+ or 1+ 5t worth extra 100 over Nokia 8

Nope but Mi 8 is

Is the XA2 any good.

In Australia. Telstra's got it, but I'm sick of branded ROM's tbqh famalamadngdong

Nokia 6.1

Cmon lads,doesnt anyone know?

Attached: __rider_fate_hollow_ataraxia_fate_stay_night_and_fate_series_drawn_by_tsukuri_monoji__3891964599a60d (803x604, 82K)

just bought a Moto g6 to use as a VR headset with iVRy, and it's been working great.

>openly admiting to desires for having an OP product

How embarrassing

Attached: Incredulity.png (528x528, 153K)

explain

What phone best represents this girl?

Google Pixel 2

What are some good smartphones with a

>smartphone review
>>this phone has an IPS panel, which is a huge letdown. We would've liked to see an OLED panel on this phone.

Attached: 1494947574287.jpg (612x491, 51K)

Notch and headphone jack aren't even the biggest problems with this phone. It's the jittery soft touchscreen.
And wifi issues.
At least the software is good.

Attached: Screenshot_20180603-212456.png (1312x2560, 155K)

I was looking to upgrade this year sometime and was waiting for the new Pixel phones to drop. However, the screen protector leak revealed that the Pixel XL will have the dreaded notch. What phone should I get guys? Wait for the Lenovo bezeless phone even though Lenovo phones suck? Get a Mi Mix 2? Just get another HTC again? Suck it up and learn to love the notch and get a Pixel3 XL? Current phone's an HTC.

I live in Hong Kong and got my HTC10's battery replaced after it lost capacity. It cost like 40 USD and took an hour. Totally worth it. How much would it cost where you are?

>damn notch, man.

Attached: 04AB457A-7328-4FD8-9530-7733502F8925.jpg (238x211, 20K)

under 200? iPhone SE

with budget? Any of the new iPhones OR ...a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact/XZ2 Compact

Those are your only choices I'm afraid.

t. Small phone connoisseur

I wouldn't mind the notch if the phone didn't have a chin. It literally makes no sense for there to be a notch if there's a chin. I fucking hate how every Android phone maker looked at the iPhoneX and looked at the top and just copied that part without moving their eyes down a few degrees to see what the purpose of the notch was.

>hong Kong
>here in colorado none of the cell phone repair shops i call will touch an HTC 10
>Sorry too hard!

rip life

The chinks can and will refurb anything
Based chinks.

Are there any phones I can root and still get OTA updates, or does rooting necessitate manual updates?

I get that

lol that's what I heard on the internet but when I took it just to see the guy just gave me the price (300HKD) and the time and handed me a receipt. I watched for the last 10 minutes or so and it was pretty complex but nothing THAT hard, especially if you have experience with fixing phones already.

Yeah both the front and back glass are fucked to shit so I'm not repairing this dude, I'd rather just get a new phone. I just don't know what to do with this one, it's way too fucked.

google e-waste disposal in your area. I'm sure they can ship it to Thailand to get the gold and rare earth minerals out.

I'm with you, reviewers think these companies can jam pack everything into their phones and sell it for $400 and still stay afloat

Most phones aren't complex, you could train 10 year olds to fix iPhones for example. the problem with the HTC 10 is that it has a lot of complexity FOR A PHONE .... so repair shops watch a quick video, see all the pit falls and go nope, liability too high, and they refuse.

I'd say you got lucky, because if that guy had destroyed your phone in the process, it's pretty unlikely you would've been compensated. in America, if a shop breaks a thing, they have to make reparations and if they don't, lawyers will eat them alive. in china, people will just rip your shit off and nobody will care and you'd have gotten fucked out of a phone.

t. phone repair shop owner

Hong Kong ain't China. Well, not exactly. If they fucked my phone I would have had recourse.

so i've got an lg escape 3 that im wanting to replace, i have cricket currently so im looking for some suggestions, should i use swappa to buy an unlocked phone and any phone for $150-200 usd or less?

You could go that route, I think you could snag a ZTE Axon 7 for around that price, if not you could always get a Honor 7X

There isnt actually a reason to upgrade my Honor 7 is there?
3 Gigs of ram and 16gbs of memory seem to work just fine. This still runs high end emulators while display has enough pps for a mid-high end phone and good colors/contrast. Battery doesnt last as well either, build quality is on par too.

Goddamn, QHD and OLEDs in reality dont really mean shit when reading.

Attached: feuJTSP.gif (300x299, 3.34M)

>budget
300-400
>Carrier
Straight talk
>requirements
No notch, headphone jack, sd card slot, preferably 1080p but if not thats ok
Any recommendations? I'm currently on a moto x pure edition and it's still fine I'm not sure whether to upgrade or not main issue is shit battery life. Currently looking at Nokia 7/8, xz1, and Motorola z line.

Ok, Nokia 7 isn't released here so forget about it
And all the others you mentioned are out of your price range
I would say get the Mi Mix 2 but you want an SD slot, maybe you should look into the Nokia 6.1

Well I'm willing to wait for price drops or sales

great so far

Well then sit tight for black friday but even then I don't think you'll have many good choices, you're going to have to sacrifice something

I just want a smartphone with a 4-4.2" screen that actually fits in my pocket but isn't poorfag shit. Suggestions?

>Budeget
150-200
>Carrier
Cricket
>Requirements
5.5 inch screen or higher, nice build quality, headphone jack and sd slot preferred but not required. My last phone was an LG Stylo 3 and it was a decent phone, but someone broke it, and now I'm stuck on a ZTE something.

I regret buying such a big phone. It's stupidly uncomfortable when going for walks

Why haven't you bought the Nokia 8 yet? Has the SD835 and it's only £250.

Hello fellow kids, I'm afraid I'll be needing a new phone soon, and I'm unsure which one to get, assuming apple shows the new SE tomorrow.

>new SE
+more future proof
-expensive
-probably no headphone jack and made out of glass
-no keyboard

>old SE
+Looks great
+cheap
+headphone jack
-who cares about the looks, it needs a case anyways
-display too small for this shitty modern world
-how long will that stay fast enough for everyday use?
-no keyboard

>6s
+cheapish
+headphone jack
-looks like ass
+who cares about the looks, it needs a case anyways
+display probably big enough for a few years to come
-fucking huge
-how long will that stay fast enough for everyday use?
-no keyboard

Currently on a Q10, if that helps.

Honor 7X/Huawei Mate SE
Shit camera, shit screen, locked bootloader

XZ1 Compact is currently available for $369 on Amazon

iPhone SE

The Mate SE seems like the better option, but it's like 50 bucks over my budget. So I may go with the Honor 7X.

LG V30 and Essential Phone are in that price range right now

They're basically the same phone, Mate SE just has a nicer build with metal rather than plastic, look on Amazon they're only $225

Only the essential is

Are they rootable? If they aren't that's fine, I just need a better phone ASAP lol.

I think they are still, Huawei released something recently that phones made after a certain date this year will no longer be eligible for bootloader unlock or someshit, Google it because I think I read it as an announcement on XDA

Alright thanks for your help, dude.

No problem man

What are some essential apps for Android?

AdAway
Bromite
Clover
Greenify

Bromite is a fucking joke
Use lightning for general browsing and FF Klar for privacy

i do use Lightning but find that Bromite has better compatibility. any reason you think it's a joke?

pixel 2 and op6 are equally shit
wait for xz2 premium

Looking for a phone that doesn't make typing anything substantial total suffering. The way I see it I have a couple of options.

First would be Blackberry Keyone (which is approaching sensible pricing here now stockists are trying to shift them before Key2 drops), or Key2 (assuming the price on the latter isn't retarded, which knowing Blackberry it probably will be).

The other option is go for a bigger phone, and thus bigger on-screen keyboard. My current phone is 5.5 inch which is fine, I'm pretty confident that going to 6 inches wouldn't be an issue. Is pushing to one of the even larger 6+ inch phones worth it? (something like Xiaomi Mi Max 2 or Oppo F7?) I don't know anyone who has a phone that large, so I'm looking for some real world experience. Online reviews based on a couple of days use are borderline useless for this sort of thing.

I don't use my phone for anything particularly strenuous so specs aren't a huge issue, mostly just browsing, but I take a lot of notes on my phone too hence the need for a better keyboard option.

It's ad-block is horrid even compared to Brave