So the jackasses put the fiber modem at a far away place in my house...

So the jackasses put the fiber modem at a far away place in my house, and I had to get a 20m ethernet cable from my room to my fiber modem to have connectivity.

Will this make my connection slower when I'm on the Internet? How long can the ethernet cable be until it degrades the Internet speed?

Attached: 1501973059471.png (757x507, 557K)

they have this thing called wifi nowadays lad

No

About 100 metres before it turns to shit.

if it's a good Ethernet port on both ends (at least 100M) and the cable is installed right you should always have better connection compared to wifi

>knows nothing about networks
>calls the professionals "jackasses"

kys

t. Normie

I don't want or care about wifi. I'm asking about the signal in the cable.

I'm pretty sure it's at least 150m because of the Ethernet cables in my walls.

Try powerline internet
whatever its called

What's up with all the retards posting on Jow Forums?

Just put it through the walls lad

>retard newfag doesnt know what Im talking about

>Will this make my connection slower when I'm on the Internet?
no
>How long can the ethernet cable be until it degrades the Internet speed?
The recommended maximum for an Ethernet segment is 100m or so

Please don't call the professionals that did your installation jackasses when you yourself know jack shit

Are you autistic? No seriously, are you fucking autistic? What the fuck do you think exists in the walls? FUCKING CABLES.
Holy shit

neo-Jow Forums is full of fucking brainlets and idiots such as yourself lately

You're the one asking if your internet speed will degrade over a 20m ethernet cable

You're the one who believes there are no cables in the walls.

I'm literally saying you should put an ethernet cable inside the wall tho...

just use a cat 7 cable if you're autistic about connection quality.

Are you an idiot? This is a real question.

UTP cable is usually rated 100m max length including patch cables etc. This is reduced if you're using underrated cable like trying to push 10G over cat5e or something. For WAN speeds over 20m you don't need to worry at all regardless of cable type.

Summer and weekenders

There's this thing called "categories", e.g. cat 5e, for network cables, which specify maximum speeds over distances. Look it up.

>don't run cables where other cables are run
>newfag calling someone else neo-Jow Forums

Attached: don't hurt yourself.png (213x237, 35K)

The signal doesn't degrade like how you're thinking, as with wi-fi it gets weaker and 'slower' further along. Rather the signal along the cable will reach a certain cut-off point where the physical layer of the device has a hard time determining a 1 from a 0, as the signal strength isn't above a certain threshold point agreed to in the standard.
[spoiler]In short, 20m won't make a difference to 1m[/spoiler]

should add
>didn't have equipment installed where you wanted it
you're all kinds of retarded

This really belongs in the stupid questions thread you dummy. 2 seconds of googling.

Attached: Table.png (394x183, 8K)

ethernet cables are good up to 100 meters before the signal attenuates

to answer your question, it depends
what is the fiber speed rated at? (the line between your ISP and your fiber modem)
ethernet can be rated at 10Mbps, 100Mbps, gigabit (1Gbps, aka 1000Mbps), or 10Gbps. higher rated cables (category 6 and up) will cost more, but can handle higher speeds.
obviously if your ISP is just 25 Mbps, you're not going to get any boost by using a gigabit ethernet cable. but if your ISP offers gigabit speed, then you'll want a gigabit ethernet-capable cable (100Mbps cable like cat5 or below would hamper speed).

>20m ethernet cable

How do you think every business office in the world is connected if a 20m cable is a problem?

>Summer

Oh yeah, forgot summer just started.

>reddit spacing

Delete this shit thread.

Why didn't you tell them where you wanted it? They would have ran as much fiber optic cable as necessary to put the modem wherever you needed it

Of course we know what powerline Ethernet and WiFi are. The implication is you'd have to be a summer friend to suggest it. Have you never used an actual Ethernet cable before?

Depends on the cable and interference and the ethernet equipment you are using, but 20m should be fine.

yo buckos,

would you guys buy "fiber ethernet cables" if they existed? it would be a normal ethernet cable, but you also plug it into a usb port on one end or someshit.

*usage would be like*
obv it's not a normal cable

Yes, that is a whole 20m that the light has to travel through the ethernet before reaching the fiber. Do you know how slow light travels through ethernet? It's like a snail.

>spacing out your posts for readability makes you a redditor
neo-/4channer/

You have to go back. Stop trying to fit in

Hell no.

Fiber optic cables are a pain to use.
Which is why nobody uses them for audio, and even Intel scrapped the idea of optical "lightning" ports.

- attaching connectors requires some kind of welding technique.
- can't make sharp corners.
- fragile.

Can't you just google it?

Not him but you do realize "reddit" spacing started on Jow Forums, right? Or are you too new to remember?

Cat5 is rated for 100m your not going to have any worse connection just because its going trough a long cable. Any retards telling you to use anything else rather than just the cable is just that, retards

lmao you know moot was a redditor before he founded Jow Forums right? kids these days...

my professor said it's possible nowadays with plastic fiber, which is slightly more bendable than the (better but more expensive) glass fiber

you'll have to do a bit of research though. fiber has a bunch of connectors and you'll need to know what your card supports
something else to look at: is it multimode or single mode fiber? (MMF vs SMF)

there's more connectors out there than pic related, but those are the more common ones. also keep in mind some connectors require two connections, one for send, one for receive.

and if your fiber router doesn't have a fiber connector coming out of it, you're just wasting your time. most ISP routers will have ethernet and wireless, though a rare few will also have USB or coaxial. haven't heard of any sporting fiber connector, but I'm not in the loop on those things.

most people find it complicated, and still not widespread, so find it better to use plain copper UTP!

Attached: 7fdb47041449c2df30194e0292d33b7f.jpg (2399x1628, 343K)

Jow Forums came out a year before reddit

>miniature unit
>common in japan

hurhuehue