Hey Jow Forums, I start a new job tomorrow and they want my laptop / phone's MAC address

Hey Jow Forums, I start a new job tomorrow and they want my laptop / phone's MAC address.

Is there anything that the IT department can find out that would fuck me over? I do some dumb shit on my laptop and I don't want to lose this job.

Attached: main-qimg-56cb4714283066ff8a73cf15e6caf292.png (357x241, 5K)

Where and why would a company want your MAC on your personal devices?

no they wont be able to determine anything from just your mac address. they only want it so they can whitelist you on their internal network

I'm working for a private government contractor.
So I shouldn't be worried about anything? Is there anything else I should avoid (besides avoiding most sites)

This.

Whitelisting and monitoring to make sure he isnt wasting mr goldsteins money.

a MAC address by itself is useless information, hell I've seen NICs with identical mac addresses. if you do stupid shit while connected to their network, then yes it can be traced to you via MAC address but thats only if youre dumb enough to do dumb shit on the company network.

Okay, so as long as I don't do retarded shit while connected to their network, I'm fine? Good shit. Thanks user.

for the most part yeah, however i've seen NAC posture assessments become pretty revealing in the past

>I'm working for a private government contractor.
Then buy a second laptop and use only that for work.

>NAC posture assessments
Is that anything I should worry about? I'm working in a highly sensitive field, but there's more than 100 employees.

i'd honestly just do ask for a company laptop, for their safety and for yours

They probably do MAC whitelisting on the corporate network. As long as you don't do anything you don't want seen on their network, you'll be fine Yes, they can in theory try to hack you, but you really should have a work only laptop with no personal data. I find it odd that they did not provide you with these devices.

That's what I was going to do if they could find out something.
Okay, I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks.
I think they will provide me a phone, but I haven't started yet, so I'm not entirely sure.

What do you mean by dumb shit?

Well they'll be monitoring what you do on their network regardless via your login credentials.

>Is there anything else I should avoid (besides avoiding most sites)

avoid doing dumb shit on your phone/laptop at work.

Just some VPN shit / sites I visit.
Okay, just making sure.

>mac
Found your problem.

Please be bait

1st rule of IT is to never ever ever ever use your personal devices for work(or on a work network) or vice versa noob.

Cern.
...because that's how you register devices on their network in order to use it.

If you do dumb shit that you don't want anyone to know about, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

>bringing a personal laptop to work
>connecting your personal devices to a corporate network

Watch out! They might hack your gibson!

Attached: 26.png (589x1005, 516K)

use tmac

This

Attached: aw.png (732x790, 1.05M)

this is the most sensible choice by far
protip replace the hdd with a fresh ssd even a terrible laptop will feel better to use with a cheap 250GB 850 evo in it

Probably a part of some NAC deployment that the organization uses. MAC filtering isn't secure at all but keeps Julia in marketing from plugging her home laptop into random ethernet ports and spreading fud on a workstation VLAN or something.

They need it to add your device to the list of trusted devices that have access to the internet and other stuff, if you want to do something shady while working use your VPN/proxy and I am sure they wont use it your MAC address somehow against you.

1. cern is not a corporation,
2. if privacy is a major concern to you, you must be stupid not to use a vpn with your device.
3. mac address is the easiest thing to spoof.
you have to have at least 89IQ to think about those.

macs are gay

mactoddlers btfo!

They may want to whitelist your device. Don't do stupid stuff on their network and make sure your torrent software is off if you use it. Many people forget to turn off automatic software and it gets them in trouble. Your MAC address is just one identifier, a good network like the one I run shows many more identifiers and even tells me roughly where the device is at on our property. So, don't bring your own PC if you have a choice (and obviously it is a bad choice for the company security wise). Relax, and keep your nose clean. Most IT departments have too many things to do than to worry about your facebook surfing, but if you hit a filter, they may look into your online behaviour with their network.

please god be bait

Attached: 1498332865744.png (600x600, 174K)