After you finish off an intro programming book, what exactly are you suppose to do after that...

After you finish off an intro programming book, what exactly are you suppose to do after that? I've tried searching for a "roadmap" with no success. I want to have as much of a leg up in the job hunt as possible when I graduate in three years. Is it possible to get a job with only an associates? I'm studying C++ in school and in my self study, and I've decided I want to dive into this language as much as possible. Basically have this as my "main" language skillset wise. Here's what I'm gonna study over the summer, one topic per week

Structured data
Advanced file operations
Introduction to classes
More about classes
Inheritance, polymorphism, and virtual functions
Exceptions, templates, and the standard template library(STL)
Linked lists
Stacks and queues
Recursion
Binary Trees

Based on this list, assuming I fully understand everything covered, what would I be ready to do next? Anything here I should really key in on, or is it all important?

Attached: 1521069775976.jpg (640x1136, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=88046682
cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml
softwarefoundations.cis.upenn.edu/current/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You could know three or five different languages and spend all of your free time coding projects to improve on your skills. What employers really want i-

you need to figure out what employers want.

Learn javascript, python, java and c#. I haven't seen a c++ job in a long time. JavaEE is very popular, so is Python and C#(.net)

Start putting a few project together when you're a student, upload a (revised version on github), that can be your portfolio, provide a link to your portfolio on your resume.

Hot shit right now is AI, crypto (block chain) and a few other things. So if you want to edge put some of that shit on your resume too.

I'm planning to learn C#/.NET Core and HTML/CSS with JS as well, but I want to give this top priority for now. I just want to be able to say "I may not have experience or be the best student, but I'm serious about the field and this is why" by showing that I'm willing to really explore one particular language, or is this not the right way to look at it? The ideal situation is that I'm really good at C++ and C#/.NET Core, but I'm trying to keep my sights on what I can do within a year's time.

Cloud services integration is also hot shit right now.

You'll need to look for internships, if you have no real world experience nobody will hire you unless you know someone.

Does machine learning fall under AI? I've seen a few big tech companies express interest in it, and from my understanding having a solid foundation in OOP gives you an advantage here? I do plan on doing projects, but I'm unsure what the strategy should be there. Should I knock out various challenges, work on open source, or focus on one major project at a time?
The problem is that my GPA is laughably low and I'm forced to take summer courses at this time. If I'm lucky, I'll get accepted to a four year before the end of next spring and won't have to take any summer classes in 2019, but I can't bank on that being the case.

Write a compiler for the language

>The problem is that my GPA
< 3.0?

Don't waste his time please. He needs the okay from an HR fuckwad not approval from his peers.

Who is this?

Fall below that, I had a tough stretch and long story short, I'm bouncing back while on academic probation. But if I do well enough, I could still graduate with a 3.0+ gpa assuming I replace the grades. Again though I can't take anything guaranteed so I'm working with the facts as they are right now.

>I'm bouncing back while on academic probation.
I pulled my shit from a 1.something to a 3.1; I believe in you user!

If you succeed to write a compiler not only will you know the intricacies of the language better than most you will also have an awesome project to show potential employers. Not to mention you will learn shit loads about programming in general.

Why is she posing in an empty house?

"Hey we need someone that knows [meme framework/language]"

"This is my C compiler maam"

"Whats a compiler?"

Please go back, newfag

Attached: AjofC6TQEnzNzFDCIy50yGYgjGROMQD1M6IoHpOrXYM.jpg (381x767, 55K)

If you're already doing C++ then read about how write safe C++
wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=88046682 then casually go through these lecture notes on program correctness cs.cmu.edu/~15122/schedule.shtml
Not obtain some documentation on Solidity and write 'safe' contracts for them as a contractor on some freelancer site. Be aware you still have to compile to bytecode to be run in super buggy EVM, so make no promises of correctness. After a while go fully into program specification softwarefoundations.cis.upenn.edu/current/index.html as you're just proving business logic in these 'contracts', it's pretty straight forward.

Thank you so much for the help and links

i wana spank her butt until she braps

>learn a language
>learn basic SQL
>learn how to write apps with embedded or remote database backend
>make some basic apps

Start with this then build from there to more complex things

Stop right now, start reading SICP and "The Elements of Computing Systems", that's a good start for programming in general, then focus on complex algorithm analysis and you can finally start to learn a language according to what you want to do. And don't forget to study at least undergrad pure mathematics, install a linux distro to be a good programmer, and use vim daily to be efficient.
That's not that hard, in two years you can achieve this level with daily work.

Learn the hacker way and do actual shit, code something, solve a problem etc. Reading stuff without any context just sucks unless you want to be a teacher

depends where you live mate. silicon valley might appreciate the technical skill since they are low on workers but on the east coast experience trumps everything.

this. Pure knowledge is only currency in Academia. I have straight up seen employers give zero fucks about what you can do outside their software stack.

except this doesnt actually make sense. this is like telling a child "haha just learn how to walk faggot"

Attached: 840.jpg (737x889, 89K)

Internships never have realistic posting requirements because the people have no idea what the fuck you actually doing in college these days. If you go for something local that doesn't offer travel or lodging you will probably get it.

But thats what we literally do no one goes to a walking school you absolute faggot

>walking school

Attached: 1517107147804.gif (333x333, 3.94M)

there is no generic path. IBM, Valve, Texas Instruments, Amazon, Blizzard, Microsoft, Google, etc all look for different things in their employees. If you want to work in video games, do video game stuff. If you want to work in web development, do web stuff. If you want to work in mobile, do mobile app stuff. It's really not that complicated. The real world is domain specific not theory like academics.

sauce?