New Rig

I'll build a ryzen PC later today. It's been over a decade since my last amd build.
Will I be disappointed?

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-2.jpg (1280x720, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_nitro_limited_edition_radeon_rx_vega_56_8gb_hbm2/4.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=Mbx72MoKnXA
youtube.com/watch?v=v26TdT4zg58
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes user so dont buy it and let someone with actual knowledge around tech to buy the cpu and spare it from your idiocy

Nah, it's great.
My last AMD build was a Phenom IIx4 965be.
I have a ryzen 2600x now. It's fucking fantastic, a worth successor

Why do you need it? Just buy a i7 like any normal functional human with a life.

>with actual knowledge

Attached: 1528052933240.png (624x352, 161K)

>normal functional human with a life.
Most people don't buy computers at all, user. Most people just use their phones / tablets or maybe a cheapo laptop.

tfw on 1600 but can't justify jumping up one gen but I also don't need an R7.
I wouldn't mind the slightly improved IPC and latencies, but my 1600 is only a year old.

Ryzen is a better choice performance and price wise against Intel.

Intel is seriously lagging behind. They are struggling to make 10nm chips while AMD is getting ready to release 7nm chips.

We're in AMD's 2nd golden age since AMD 64 in early 2000s.

This

Attached: 22528010_1750393331651381_4048072264549074598_n.jpg (480x583, 37K)

I just hope their next GPUs can deliver. Vega 56/64 can't compete sadly

vega cards are just fine the problem of amd is on the software side

they are battling gameworks with only few extensions which naturally wont work at all

plus amd dosnt have a simple cuda like prog lang if ever amd comes with such a thing and are able to utilise their hardware they will streamroll the entire industry
but knowning how good amd is with its software this wont happen anytime soon

Thing is a vega 56 costs as much as a gtx 1080 where I live. It's slower and is much more power hungry. No reason to go that way really

>Just fine
>Performance is gaming
Comparable to 1070 with 100w more power
>Performance is Pro
Comparable to 1080ti with 100w more power

i dont know user seems like undervolting it does give the same perf/watt as 1080(i think the 64 has 29-35watts more) that is ofc if you keep the power limit at check
if you crank it up to infinity while undervolted they will prob surpass even 290x at max boost

No, keep the 1600, it's fine. Great chip, dont worry about it.
Zen2/Ryzen3/3700 or whatever is gonna be my next guy.

RTG is not the priority right now sadly.
Kick ass in CPU sector, get money, then funnel to RTG to make GPUs.
Also 7nm Vega / Navi are compute monsters, but no consumer release for a while. But for most people a rx480/580 is fine so w/e.

what we knew as navi (aka the mcm chip) apparently went for 2020
and now the word navi became the last iteration of the gcn family
i just hope this will be the good one and not yet another flop that cant cull triangles because the software is bottlenecking the card

i mean i still dont understand why they enabled the primitives on the vega fe and yet decided to not do it on the rest..

>amd dosnt have a simple cuda like prog lang if ever amd comes with such a thing and are able to utilise their hardware they will streamroll the entire industry
AMD uses OpenCL and continually performs OpenCL tasks better than Nvidia. Cuda is closed source because Nvidia is petty like that.

You should get the new Intel with my Delid-Die-Mate, some silicone glue and some liquid metal instead
Much better

Getting a VEGA over the 1080/1070/1080Ti is absolutely retarded. Don't listen to shills here.

You can get it, and it'll still be a strong card but even with nvidia's "Haha AMD has no cards" pricing, the only reason to get them is to support AMD.

you missed the point
cuda has a very very very easy learning curve compared to opencl
and even with the amd HIP tool they made to translate cuda into their own they still havent managed to make their own lang as easy as this..

yes its not like the cards constantly get better and better after time right user?
its not like that this has been the case for practicly every amd card there is..

>AMD uses OpenCL and continually performs OpenCL tasks better than Nvidia
Yea... No it doesn't. Nvidia is consistently ahead. Last I checked AMD's openCL compiler is still a bug ridden mess

Nvidia wins on Cuda, not on OpenCL. People using OpenCL intensive applications like Premiere, Resolve, Fusion, After Effects get a much better performance out of AMD cards.

In terms of gaming of gpu rendering, Nvidia is better.

Vega won't get better and better.

AMD was always ahead in GPGPU on CUDA and OpenCL or any other similar frameworks.

>2700x
>1080 g1 2ghz+
>16gb 3200 flarex
Based op all my normies mates shit on me for being the token amdigger

Attached: gotfans.jpg (3920x2592, 2.26M)

>vega cards are just fine the problem of amd is on the software side
no its hardware 100% it was just overclocked fury x crap on a die shrink

Attached: vega in a nutshell.jpg (1920x1200, 175K)

Just delid the Ryzen chip with a mini torch.

Attached: SolderDelid.jpg (3225x755, 403K)

So Vega will be good when? In 5 years?

But given how cut-throat AMD is about segmenting and pressing out the maximum amount of money for the least amount of work, I won't be surprised if it won't go anywhere like always.

>But given how cut-throat AMD is about segmenting and pressing out the maximum amount of money for the least amount of work
our talking about the market not amd bruv

Attached: ToK5nVS.jpg (936x960, 71K)

My CPU running at 1.4v degraded in a year. It was stable at 3.9 but now it's not.
Keep that in mind, people saying upper limit is 1.45v are bullshitting.

>vega cards are just fine the problem of amd is on the software side
Except tile based rasterization is broken in hardware
Except you need to undervolt it to achieve sane power consumption
And if you do, it can no longer outperform competitors.

If anything, amd's drivers are great. Especially if compared to nvidia garbage. But vega is incomplete product with broken gaming oriented technologies and shitty bioses. It's only viable because of miners.
Well there is also antitrust practices from nvidia including gimpworks and cuda shilling but it's not amd's software problem, it's unfair competition.

Vega56 matches/beats the 1070Ti and prices have come down.
It's only the 1080Ti that they don't have a competitor against.

It'd be nice if they were more power efficient, but in America currently it would take 20 years of use for the extra power cost of vega to equal the price difference of vega56+freesync compared to 1070ti+gsync.

And how much more expensive are Gsync monitors?

>spend $200 more for Gsync goy!
>t. shill

>you can overclock Vega more than the voltage locked pascal cards and that's a bad thing
>t. shill

t. shill

>you can overclock Vega more than the voltage locked pascal cards and that's a bad thing
get fucked Raja Poopoocurry your GPU is shit and you're working for the failing intel IGP division now

Attached: amdissapointment.jpg (1894x662, 223K)

>cherry picking GR Wildlands before AMD had their driver update out for the Nvidia sponsored game
>before they even had Vega gaming drivers, even, since that's the FE
Unreal levels of shilling. That's no different than simply lying.

Here are the real results on newer drivers. overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_nitro_limited_edition_radeon_rx_vega_56_8gb_hbm2/4.htm

>the only reason to get them is to support AMD.
Novidya doesn't really support open-source drivers. They also try to sabotage virtualization. So for some use cases, AMD may be your only viable option.

mate i own a fucking 1080 and fury x

the vegas are fucking trash and i say that as a AMD fan (rtg hardware pre vega) not software

Attached: amddead.jpg (633x758, 156K)

Why don't you just sell your current rig and pay the difference for a new PC?

But you can sell your 1600. Upgrading to the 2700X will only cost me £150 once I sell my 1600. Well worth it for two extra cores, higher clock speed and other small improvements.

same here, don't feel like upgrading even if there's better performance to be had, 1600 just werkz fine

>2600k @ 4.6Ghz
>literally no reason to upgrade
>render stuff overnight anyways
>game at 1440p with GTX 1070
>still comfy on windows 7

yes
because no windows 7 on raven ridge :

I bet there is

OP here. Starting to build now. I'll keep you posted

You're underage, get off the board. Amd doesn't even have the right to implement CUDA drivers so they can never run it. And AMD has historically had garbage opencl support, which is why they coerced devs to implement microkernels. Not because microkernels are better but because the AMD opencl drivers couldn't even compile the large monolithic kernels everyone used

>Vega56 matches/beats the 1070Ti and prices have come down.
>prices have come down.
they actually fucking have what the hell happened to cryptofags?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-05 02-17-14.png (1203x621, 192K)

coins crashed, and someone also made an etherium ASIC.

I jumped from an A10 5800k to a Ryzen 5 1600 and holy shit man

Attached: behindthispost.gif (300x169, 501K)

unsubscribe

you need AT LEAST 3000mhz RAM or the CPU will lag. Also check RAM compatibility in the manufacturer's website. The most ryzen-friendly manufacturer is Asus.

Monero is still profitable, and you get great hashrates on lower end cards like RX550s. Where's the smart contract, ASIC resistant, PoW currency?

Well, microkernels are better suited for the vector SIMD model of modern GPUs; megakernels were written with software rendering in mind. It's debatable if the hassle is worth the performance bonus though. It works well in loads like LuxRender and Blender Cycles but not necessarily in HPC applications. Nonetheless, with RTC being stagnant and restructuring (odds are Raja has already done most of the work for Navi before he left, leaving it on probably the very limits of the GCN arch) and their software division team being stretched thin, the AMD LLVM module is likely not to get better any time soon, doesn't matter how good HIP is; if you can't even compile OCl for GPUs, how are going to expect it to compile roll CUDA into C++ and compile that into GPU accelerated code?

Hmm. Could it be time for me to upgrade? Im still using a FX.

>Vega56 matches/beats the 1070Ti and prices have come down.
Fucking lmao. You can still get the nvidia equivalent for cheaper with better driver support. Why waste 900 on a vega56 when you can get a 1080ti for that which blows it out of the water?

>better driver support
Not on Linux

I ordered compatible 3200mhz ram

Weird how i7 8700k still gets higher framerates in almost all games on average.

yeah
even ryzen 1200 is better than any FX cpu

Yeah boi you gon get sum o dat edumacation

Attached: 1512614656096.jpg (588x823, 109K)

Sure, if you want to buy a new motherboard and ram as well.

If you get one of the hexa-cores (or better) then you won't be disappointed unless you care about a more expensive Intel CPU getting 5-10 more frames in games.

You might regret not waiting for Zen 2.

I bought a 2600.

Then you'll be fine.

So MANY coars

I've been insanely happy with my 1800X. Just make sure your ram is compatible. Mine isn't and it runs fine at stock but I can't use XMP

I had that and a 460

now I have a 2600x and a 1060, nice.

im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this

>My last AMD build was a Phenom IIx4 965be.
Phenom II X4 955be for me. Just bought 2700x and Vega 64 last night, will probably put it all together next weekend. I'm excite.

Wait for Zen 2

8700K unless you're doing some sort of heavy workload that needs a shitload of threads then go 1950x.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mbx72MoKnXA at 3:20 vs stock 1600
youtube.com/watch?v=v26TdT4zg58

>justwait.tm

AMD JustWaitFineWine(tm) technology.

>be me
>get r5 1500x
>add the cheapest RAM I could find (2400mhz) because who cares, it's just RAM
>emulators run like shit
>cities skylines lags
>wtf.jpeg
>decide to replace RAM for something faster to see if anything changes (3000mhz)
>emulators fly
>cities skylines runs smooth like a loli's ass
>mfw

Attached: b.jpg (480x395, 26K)

>t. DelidTechnologies

I got a ton of performance in RPCS3 just upgrading from 1607 LTSB to 1803 Enterprise (and/or 1709).

I have shitty 8gb 2400mhz with my ryzen 2600, is it worth to pick 3200mhz ones? and yes my mobo supports those

Could try manually OCing them in your BIOS

There are decent comparisons on YouTube. Search for ryzen ram comparison or something like that

ryzen is great, arguably better than intel's current offerings while being overall cheaper and more efficient

How about you suck a log out of Andy's asshole?

Attached: 1516919055547.jpg (114x125, 3K)

>slightly slower in some arbitrary benchmarks at launch vs mature competitor product
>trash

Literally toddler-tier logic.

>8700k
lul no

Attached: 2nd-Gen-AMD-Ryzen-v-Intel-Confidential.jpg (1328x710, 110K)

I remember i wanted to get a 6700k for Star Citizen, now i know better and i'll just stick with my 2500k for a few years more.

>Amd doesn't even have the right to implement CUDA drivers so they can never run it.
>Calling other underage
How new are you?

Enjoy your bottleneck. Only oc'd 2600k can be viable today.

The only game i would need that for is Scam Citizen, so i'll my ship core when it releases.

>posting a company slide proves my point
dumb shill

>on average
>have to delid
>have to OC until it almost goes nuclear
>all this for a ~2% edge at a rather higher cost
Meanwhile all Ryzen really asks for is good RAM.

>spending more than $100 on an AMD CPU
If you're on a budget in the past a 955/65 was pretty good. Now the Ryzen 3 2200g is pretty good. But if you're spending anymore than $100 even if you only want to spend $140.
Get an i5.

Attached: 1307038554564.jpg (1004x988, 101K)

Truth hurts, kike

OP depends on what you want to do and how much money you want.
If you want the absolute best single thread performance and wants to be certain most applications will run fast go with the 8700K. The AMD counterpart performance depends too much on developers to optimize for certain things and in the real world you can never count on that.

If you need something to be cheap and overall good performer go with the 2200G so you don't even have to buy a dedicated graphics card.

And if you're making a workstation go with the 1950X which loses only in very specific applications like some adobe stuff and even so are usually half the price of the similar intel counterpart in the "almost server tier" cpu but be prepared to buy at a minimum that 140mm TR4 socket cooler from noctua or the enermax liqtech 360 AIO.

>muh joos
Meanwhile AMD produce their 1-10% golden sample cores in turkmany and the rest in Israel and India.

higher min fps > average fps

>not delid inside™

>Get an i5.

Attached: 15281889380071s.jpg (125x123, 2K)

Enjoy your 20% less fps u retard

should've went with Intel

>The AMD counterpart performance depends too much on developers to optimize for certain things and in the real world you can never count on that.
And how up to date is this claim?