Why do some phone carriers lock their boot loader...

Why do some phone carriers lock their boot loader? Isn't it illegal for them to keep your device locked and not give you full control over it? Is AT&T the worst carrier?

Attached: install-cell.jpg (1280x600, 117K)

>Isn't it illegal for them to keep your device locked and not give you full control over it?
lol

I think I read once upon a time that yes, it’s illegal for them to sell you a product and then limit your interaction with that product.

All carriers are shit.
>2018
>still being shafted by devil cell companies

>working on getting new phone
>chose Galaxy S4 because it has a good screen and specs at a good price
>planning on installing LineageOS to get latest Android
>buy Verizon S4 off eBay, didn't do enough reading
>after spending two days following the wrong guide and wondering why nothing is working, learn that Verizon locks out everything from their phone
>mfw
>return it, buy another one off eBay, AT&T
>do more reading, AT&T is just as bad
>FUCK.xbe
>able to get refund before it got shipped out thank God
>did more reading, finally bought Sprint S4
>still waiting on return from first phone
yeah this is all my fault to begin with for not reading but why do we have to deal with this bullshit in the first place

Attached: are you fucking serious.gif (300x164, 1.86M)

If you don't like it why don't you buy the phone elsewhere?

Couldn't you just buy an unlocked one from the start?

Even unlocked ones you can get new on ebay or amazon have this problem. You can't even run flux without root.

I'm low on cash, and unlocked ones tend to be more expensive

Sucks

>Why do some video game brands lock their boot loader? Isn't it illegal for them to keep your device locked and not give you full control over it? Is Sony the worst brand?
Hope this helps

Attached: very big asian woman showing a very big television with a very big resolution.jpg (799x753, 158K)

Unlocked doesn't mean there is an unlocked boot. It just means it can be used on other carriers.

No that's not illegal , buy a brand with unlockable bootloader idiot and don't but a carrier locked phone.

Unlocked also means that no carrier put some custom rom/kernel/bootloader on it. So unlocked smartphone tends to be more unlock bootloader friendly than their carrier locked counterparts

>So unlocked smartphone tends to be more unlock bootloader friendly than their carrier locked counterparts
First time I have heard that.

T-Mobile > AT&T > Verizon
>But prepaid shit like straight talk on the above networks is the best.

>buying any device from any carrier

Attached: ishygddt.png (382x346, 170K)

AT&T sucks if you're not a cellular customer

I bought an LG V410 tablet with AT&T branding from Frys
came with Android 4.1
AT&T support website says Android 4.4 available
connect to WiFi, check for updates
"No updates available"
AT&T customer service says updates only available to current cellular customers

AT&T wants me to signup for a $40/month contract for the privilege of accessing Android updates, big thanks to Google, LG, and AT&T for this crooked business model

damnnn I haven't fucking thought about SafeStrap since my kindle fire hdx

You do know you can unlock the bootloaders of those phones right?

>Buy Verizon Note 4
>Bootloader is unlockable, you gotta jump through a couple hoops though
>Phone arrives
>Previous owner already rooted touchwiz and installed TWRP
>feelsgoodman

Not on Verizon phones.

Safestrap it is then.

>Is AT&T the worst carrier?

Yes. I owned the AT&T variant of the Galaxy S5 for a year and a half. Was never rootable that whole time. Should have bought an unlocked T-Mobile one even though I was using AT&T as my network.

Moral of the story is research the phone in depth before you buy it. Check what people are saying on XDA threads.