Silence, DOA, Vaporware - the state of AV1 in June 2018

It's been two months since these fucks merrily announced the code freeze. Everyone rejoiced and hailed the new non-proprietary era. Shills screamed left and right to "just wait" for the encoders to get super ultra fucking fast.

Where are you now, faggots? What happened? Why is everything so silent all of a sudden? No news, no nothing. No one is working on this shit.

>AV1 is the biggest scam of 2018

Attached: aomedia-av1-logo.jpg (670x503, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

flif.info/
youtu.be/lEdqN22vaWs?t=1352
github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-spec/commits/master
aomedia.googlesource.com/aom/ log/master/
flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1517908713
demo.bitmovin.com/public/firefox/av1/
forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1843338&postcount=691
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Meanwhile it took 6 MONTHS for their neckbeard opus bros from next door to get the 1.3 incremental update from beta to rc.

Why is FOSS so slow? It's not like they're poor fucks. Mozilla is literally drowning in cash.

Attached: Opus1.3.jpg (846x836, 455K)

This saddens me. I really hoped for a standard different from fucking mpeg

If you're not happy you can send your patches. Also jmvalin works on both OPUS and AV1 at the same time.

Oh and another lost hope. I was so happy when they first announced it in 2015:
flif.info/

You were the chosen one. Supposed to replace both jpg and png, both lossy and lossless with crushing quality and efficiency.

Attached: flif.png (352x304, 190)

>anounced the code freeze.
No, it was draft spec release. They will do bitstream freeze after they fix bugs in spec etc.
youtu.be/lEdqN22vaWs?t=1352

Spec updates
github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-spec/commits/master

Code updates
aomedia.googlesource.com/aom/ log/master/

Both are active.

>dozens of superpower megacorps gang up behind the tech
>one guy is working double shifts to keep the whole thing afloat

Attached: AOMedia_members.jpg (490x435, 46K)

eh shit

this only means that those boastful roadmaps about fast software/hardware adoption can be thrown out the window

AV1, AVI

Think about it.

HEVC>>>>>>AV1MEME

flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1517908713

FVC > HEVC > AV1 meme

One of the bug I reported can't be fixed because the dev responsible for that part of the code does not have access to an ARM machine to debug. The fact that some big names "sponsor" the project doesn't mean they have poured tons of money into it.

this is why we will never have nice things

Will end up the same way as HEVC, several pool fighting over ludicrous royalties.

"free software"
Of course.

H.264 took forever to become mainstream, give it time.

watch the demo dipshit, use Firefox Nightly
demo.bitmovin.com/public/firefox/av1/

They want to reap the benefits without spending shekels.

Tell me more about this
What's going on?

is there a precompiled binary for an AV1 encoder on windows yet? I'd love to try out AV1 but I can't even get the encoder to work.

Don't think so.

Just install an msys2 environment with the base devel packages and compile it.

>opus
>theora
>vp9
>webp
>av1
Add it to the list of meme FOSS codecs that never take off.

Opus is more efficient than AAC but not as widely supported on older hardware, VP9 is used on youtube and tons of other sites instead of HEVC, and webp has made it's way onto ebay and has even defeated the SJW turbo-jpg encoder in terms of speed and quality.

AV1 is going to be an absolute flop but don't say all foss codecs were failures because they're not.

Attached: 1469309230745.png (1011x3032, 2.05M)

I use opus literally every day.

What do you think youtube html5 A/V streams use SHIT FOR BRAINS?

Attached: 1527670802298.jpg (344x331, 46K)

>AV1 going to be absolute flop
thank goodness my hevc still stay for a long time.

To be fair vp9 is pretty shit outside youtube. Nobody without a farm of asics has any fucking use for it and while the compression is fantastic I think libvp9 actually enforces low bitrates.

Opus and VP9 are used all the time you mong

When is the final release of 1.3? I've been waiting for the day I can recompress my entire FLAC library.

>the dev responsible for that part of the code does not have access to an ARM machine to debug
well, on the bright side he's not a neckbeard.

i agree that open video formats are shit but opus is the best lossy codec atm imho. i hope something becomes of av1.

Attached: 1527438815215.jpg (800x770, 69K)

>on the bright side he's not a neckbeard.
Why would you ever want your software not made by a neckbeard?

> It's been two months since these fucks merrily announced the code freeze.
And it took several years to come up with the specification.

Basically, you're here complaining that it took a long time to come up with a solution to a difficult problem, made even more difficult by having to avoid patent trolls, which they're releasing the results of FOR FREE.

Just fuck off, you entitled cunt.

> Meanwhile it took 6 MONTHS for their neckbeard opus bros from next door to get the 1.3 incremental update from beta to rc.

And what exactly was wrong with using the already available version 1.2? It's still by far the best audio codec available.

> Why is FOSS so slow? It's not like they're poor fucks. Mozilla is literally drowning in cash.

ALL codec development is slow. It's not just FOSS.

You're just an entitled cunt.

Did you recall what happened in the first few years after the launch of HEVC or even AVC?

bump

I recall what happened all the years after HEVC launched. Fucking nothing.

Doesn't matter if it's released if there is no hardware support yet

I remember they said they're not going to improve quality much starting from version 1.2, so you should already do it. I've been converting some huge FLACs I had, from 2-5 GB to 200 MB.

>I remember they said they're not going to improve quality much starting from version 1.2

>This Opus 1.3-rc release candidate of the upcoming Opus 1.3 includes:
>Minor quality improvement on tones

There's a guy on doom9 who compiles the binaries. There's a download link in his signature.
forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1843338&postcount=691

Youtube uses Opus for audio as well.

minor, in terms of quality it probably means imperceptible

btw the bitrate is very wide, I'm encoding classical and pop @128 Kbps, first gets 100-120 at the end and the second goes up to 145 Kbps, you shouldn't wait any longer