Apple deprecates OpenGL and OpenCL in macOS 10.14 Mojave

developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/

All hail our new Metal overlords.

>Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders.

Attached: 1DE189EC-36EE-4486-83E1-9AC07EE557F4.jpg (271x299, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/higan_emu/status/1003760154993659909
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

kek

they really hate games

Great job Apple, OpenGL is fucking awful.

Stupid tripfag.

How will OpenCL applications now be ported? I don't get it.

>shitGL
Nothing of value was lost. OpenGL applications have disastrous performance on MacOS.

Metal is API for graphics and computing,OpenCL need rewrite to use Metal.

Apple’s really trying to make it easier for iOS developers to come over to the Mac.

Hopefully this means cross-buy games between the two App Stores.

Is there a project like DXVK except OpenGL to Metal instead? There's MoltenGL but it's proprietary and seems to be for phones.

>After years finally make a decent dark mode in OS X.
>Doesn't support my 2011 MBP anymore
SAD!

Makes me think about actually not getting a macbook. I would of gotten one end of this year if it weren't for this memery.
Can't deal with a device that will only work for a made up amount of time. I can get behind technical reasons making it impossible to update, like the lack of SSE4, but what's next? Next ML will not support macs without AVX2 and then everything does not works with 10.16 again? I'd rather fake my SMBIOS and deal with hackery than deal with jewery.

Attached: 15279132152950.png (512x512, 66K)

>Brand new cross platform standard graphics API Vulkan comes out
>Should we use it?
>Nope we need some new proprietary shit

They've always done this. Look at ALAC and m4a.

The only platforms Apple are inclined to care about are their own operating systems. It makes no sense for them to adopt such a standard when they have no use for it. They make their own stuff for their own needs. Software and hardware.

Come on, I wanted a GET for Federighi fucking facebook over.

And the benefits of metal over vulkan are?

They think they can pull off an "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" without even having a double digit percentage of market share.
Holy shit, they really are turning back into 90s Apple, except they have money now. When will we see an unnecessarily segmented computer line with confusing product names again?
Oh, wait.

Attached: Picture 3.png (1687x656, 209K)

A shame. I still play an old game that uses it. Just another reason not to move on from El Capitan.

A little big beaked birdie told me that some pretty bad malware and rootkits will come out specifically affecting elcapitan on mojaves release.

So now we will have a choice between
SchaeferGL -> MetalVk -> Metal
ANGLE -> SchaeferGL -> MetalVk -> Metal

>apple
who cares

DXVK -> MetalVK -> Metal ;)

That'll work too.
Poor ANGLE, they working on getting a DesktopGL backend for Mac, now they have nothing.

>They think they can pull off an "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish"
What?
I know the term, but how does it apply here?
Are you talking about OpenGL and Apple?
Where the fuck are extend and extinguish then?
Apple didnt even bother support recent version on OpenGL, let alone extend it in some meaningful way.

They adopted OpenGL back in the Mac OS 8 days, and have been contributing to the project up until Jobs died. Then they started the whole Metal thing, thinking that since they must be the only ones using OpenGL, they can probably kill it by replacing it with their proprietary shit.

No! How will I play Minecraft now?

EEE implies malice.
Apple just stop giving a fuck about OpenGL.

You cannot kill OpenGL simply because, if you are not on windows, there is no alternative.
And not-windows does not necessary mean apple.

Get a PowerPC Mac, mine works fine for autismcraft and shitposting.
Plus no x86 botnet.

Attached: Picture 4.png (1920x1200, 1.34M)

No alternative besides vulkan, but it's khronos's stuff too, so it doesnt matter.

>EEE implies malice.
So leaving tens of perfectly working computer models that aren't even ten years old so you have to buy their new crippled, soldered together trash isn't malice?
Destroying portability of applications for operating systems that aren't Mac OS or iOS isn't malice?
Locking developers into a vendor-specific ecosystem (the main purpose of EEE) isn't malice?

The difference is that it's malice towards end-users, e.g. planned obsolescence, not towards OpenGL/Khronos.
You misunderstood the concept of EEE.
It does not apply here.

The oldest supported computers for macOS Mojave are over 6 years old. You're acting like Apple have stopped security patches. They still provide those for a while. No one is using a 6 year old Mac as their main machine.

>Destroying portability of applications for operating systems that aren't Mac OS or iOS isn't malice?

Yes because Apple really cares what's going on outside of Apple OSes. Apple really cares about Windows.

>Locking developers into a vendor-specific ecosystem

If you're a developer for Apple stuff you're already willingly in this, you're making no sense.

Pic related.
The oldest computers supported by NSA/Windows are over 15 (fifteen) years old. The Linux kernel supports computers over 20 years old.
>Yes because Apple really cares what's going on outside of Apple OSes.
Yeah, they don't care if people don't buy their computers. After all, who would make products for a profit?
>If you're a developer for Apple stuff you're already willingly in this, you're making no sense.
What's easier: learning both OpenGL and Metal, or just learning OpenGL?

Sorry. Pic related. I shouldn't be arguing on the Internet at 4AM

Attached: moving-goalposts-gif.gif (410x324, 97K)

Are you fucking autistic?
I said EEE does not apply here and i still stand by that.
It's not my problem that you don't understand the concept.

You're the only person who knows what xe's talking about in this thread.

As a matter of fact I am, but that's outside this discussion.
I'm going to bed, take your Internet points and have a (You).

Sent from my Power Macintosh™ G4

Attached: 1527085606475.png (371x336, 179K)

>No one is using a 6 year old Mac as their main machine.
Why not? It's not like Intel CPUs have improved that much in the past 6 years.

My 6 year old CPU will score higher benchmarks than some brand new ones. I guarantee it.

Yeah except now they made some POS metal trash when they should have used Vulkan or sucked MS dick and used Dx12.

Valve did something with MoltenVK for games recently anyway, so at least it's out of their hands to an extent.

>sucked MS dick and used Dx12.
But that would be gay, user. Apple has a strict no-homos-allowed policy.

>a fucking trip
Drop the LSD

Do you even know who the CEO of apple is?

bepis

>microsoft buys github
>apple kills opengl (no one will use it now that it is not fully cross platform)
Already a bad week for FOSS. Also, feels weird that microsoft is looking like a more "friendly to open source" company than apple now

>apple kills opengl
Apple hasn't given a shit about opengl in years. They're still ruing some old as version from like 2012 or something. Nobody is going to develop for their special snowflake API. It'll either be DX12 or Vulkan.

can't apple just block that shit?

On the one hand: OpenGL is shit.
On the other hand: Apple is building up their walled garden.
In the pooper: practically everyone is back to making their own walled gardens now.

Wrong, no developers gives a shit about Apple now

Most developers now just give Apple the middle finger

twitter.com/higan_emu/status/1003760154993659909

>higan will not adopt Metal, a proprietary, macOS-only technology in place of OpenGL, an open, cross-platform standard that is actively maintained.

And yet byuu has supported DirectX APIs since forever. Hypocrite.

Isn't this going to be a massive blow to wine? I recall that park of the reason they've dragged their feet on adopting certain things that run better is poor compatibility with macos, because macos is where they were making their money. Now they're out of luck, or can moltenvk save them?

benis?

>>higan will not adopt Metal, a proprietary, macOS-only technology in place of OpenGL, an open, cross-platform standard that is actively maintained.
this, whoever adopts metal puts himself at the mercy of applel until they scrap metal or replace it something else
the only reason to do that to yourself is iDrone shekels

that would be one of the paid wine derivatives i assume? so no