WINE runs pre-win7 software better than Windows does

>WINE runs pre-win7 software better than Windows does
how did they do it?

Attached: swimming_owl.webm (640x360, 1.41M)

It's actually going to run post-win7 stuff pretty great too, soonish. There's this DXVK libraryy that translates DX11/DX12 calls directly to vulkan.

WINE devs care about improving the functionality of the software they maintain, even in small ways. Microsoft devs only care to the extent that it drives sales. And since most Windows users are locked in, and more and more revenue is coming from advertising anyway, they care less and less about technical excellence. WINE has to be good for people to use it, and people using it is the goal of the devs. Windows only has to be just barely not awful enough that people conclude its less effort to keep using/buying it than it is to switch, because Microsoft doesn't care about people using it, they care about making money.

wait, Linux is soon going to actually be usable..?

Attached: jones.png (500x407, 198K)

It's as usable as you are skilled enough to tweak it. Basically nothing uses DX11/12 except shit games and they're all broken on any OS.

>Blaming companies for people stupidity

No, soon there will be no reason to use poowdos

The linux kernel has been usable for quite some time. What you meant to say is that you can run your windows software on a linux based OS.

>Basically nothing uses DX11

And? It's for (pleb tier) vidya.

yes, that's what I said. Linux will be usable

birds are pretty neat

Attached: 1498026128469.jpg (319x331, 13K)

Pretty good if you want to run proprietary trash but you may as well stick to microshit windaids.

Attached: toilets.png (600x1418, 1.66M)

Tried wine once and as I ran these exe files on linux I felt violated. Gpu passthrough seems like a much saner solution.

pretty cute as well desu
>may as well stick to windows
but why do that if I need only certain software and it works fine? For example I want some program that edits .iso files in a certain way for the PS2 but it's only on windows, seems kinda dumb to install windows just for that
sadly my 2500k doesn't support it and I don't plan on buying a new cpu any time soon

Attached: kimochiiii.webm (480x352, 2.86M)

The only thing that sucks about wine is that when the game crashes while in a lower resolution you have to manually reset the resolution in your DE.

is there no option to force it in a window-mode?

You can always winecfg emulate virtual desktop buuut you can't actually make it scale up that way.

>PS2

PROPRIETARY TRASH

b-but muh vidya!

At least the PS2 won't spy on you.
> I miss when things didn't HAVE to be networked.

set the virtual desktop to your native resolution
The real big issue with wine is that in-game videos are rarely supported, breaking a lot of weeb VNs

well blame that on broken ass video libraries like bink

DX11 has been standard for 6 or 7 years. You're just pulling a fox and the grapes.

>tfw too brainlet to use wine

Attached: 1429825382186.jpg (385x387, 17K)

So what uses it, other than shit games?

Fortnite, witcher 3, every Battlefield since at least 4, Dark Souls 2 and 3, PUBG, Overwatch

If you say any of these games are shit, then you're just proving fox and the grapes argument.

but BRs are shit user

good bait

Attached: grapes.gif (640x918, 10K)

alright toddler, now go back to /v/

Why would he need the grapes if he already has WINE?

Attached: 1010405231.jpg (1920x1080, 120K)

All except Fortnite and PUBG are 100% playable on WINE with DXVK. PUBG and Fortnite are also playable, except you can't run them because of the BattleEye cancerware. The moment WINE can translate ring0 rootkit like code to Linux we're golden.

Attached: 1525733911941.png (512x512, 51K)

seemed like a good idea at first, but then after a few hours you realize all you're doing it collecting random shit for 10 minutes, dying, then doing it again over and over, maybe killing someone if you get lucky
fun to watch, but boring to play

also, inb4 "you just suck"
good games are enjoyable by any skill level

You're in a WINE thread, retard.

Goalpost moving? We're talking about dx 11 here.

So like every other multi-player game?

Attached: 1527567235840.jpg (530x500, 34K)

>So like every other multi-player game?
i think it's the combination of slow starts (can't do shit at the beginning of a map), forcing you to run around collecting stuff, which you can't improve on, since it's randomised
the large and open map, so you can get sniped from anywhere at any time, most of the time i couldn't even figure out who killed me and from where, so no improving myself there, either
and there's the randomly closing play area, forcing you to to take paths that are less than ideal (i understand the need for it, it eliminates camping, but the random nature of it also eliminates planning, and planning is something that can be improved upon)
there's precious little time you have to actually use and improve on your weapon skills, it end up being very slow paced for someone who doesn't play shooters 24/7

Why the sour grapes argument, then? Are you implying he hasn't the hardware that supports DX11? Or the money to afford the games?

>you're in a WINE thread, retard
yea I know, I made it
and I sure as hell didn't make it to discuss bideo gayms made for elementary schoolers

Myself and a hundred million other players are having fun. Maybe you're too much of a brainlet to understand how to play.

DX 11 ran buggy in wine, and he said all DX 11 games are shit. It's obvious he was saying most games made in the last decade were shit because he had problems running them.

i'm hopeful for the day i can run solidworks 2017 and my 3d mouse in wine, it's literally the only thing i have a windows install for these days

Clearly you're not smart enough to be a true gamer.

Attached: 30a.jpg (606x500, 30K)

>At least the PS2 won't spy on you

>Myself and a hundred million other players are having fun.
>it's popular therefore it's good

>You can always winecfg emulate virtual desktop buuut you can't actually make it scale up that way.
Yes you can.

does better than Windows. More at 11.

>It's obvious he was saying most games made in the last decade were shit because he had problems running them.
>/v/ actually believes this.

Attached: 15258583140701-b.jpg (604x604, 69K)

>obvious
How? I don't see it. He could be into 2D. Maybe he's into the oldschool. Hell, maybe he is oldschool. There's plenty of other options, or maybe he just dislikes video games. I personally find only Witcher 3 and the souls series to be great among those mentioned above, and hell, I wouldn't recommend souls to the average guy either. Oh, and the "It's popular" argument doesn't really work, as the thread's topic suggests.

Attached: 58261721_p0.jpg (538x402, 31K)

Why cant wine get their shit together. The instructions on their website are a joke and their repositories are 404. I'm trying to instigate the YOTLD and this isn't helping. Do they have a new website? Is there a better resource for wine than winehq?

Those other hundred million "people" are all chinks.

How? Whenever your virtual desktop's resolution is changed it just shrinks the window.

I'll check at home, user, but I'm pretty certain I just made it fullscreen in bspwm.

>good games are enjoyable by any skill level
holy shit fuck off

hit a nerve?
please describe your pain

What is there to know?

The new comparability laier in Windows 10 is pretty good too though, if you run 32-bit, you can still run Windows 3.0 applications.
Wine is great for those few games that have problems otherwise, even on Windows itself.

>swimming owl
That's called floated, dickheado

They didn't do anything.
It's Microsoft that did things that broke application compatibility.
They were necessary changes because XP users had basically unrestricted write access in places they shouldn't even touch.

Ur floated

that's because you didn't use protection in the form of another user just for wine
always use protection

non shit games

Wine can run 16 bit windows shit on 64 bit CPUs while windows can't

Windows 10 can do that just fine.

Where is all this misinformation coming from??

The 64 bit version doesn't have NTVDM

>Linux - Linux is now usable x

Year of the Linux desktop confirmed.

So then, by about how much how much does WINE raise a game's minimum specs?

0, thats not how wine works

Isnt it just
Su wine program.exe

In fact, in some cases it has lowered them (usually not the case, but it is possible).
I remember when they first got Left4Dead working, for a while it ran like 30% faster than on native windows.