Is it true that leopard is better than nu-macos? How usable it is today(and it's 'brother' tiger) on powerpc...

Is it true that leopard is better than nu-macos? How usable it is today(and it's 'brother' tiger) on powerpc? Should I get myself powermac g5 with leopard as a second desktop machine(first one is docked x220 with gentoo). How well tenfourfox supports addons and shit? Are brew/macports working nice on such machines? Are there community of people running old os x on ppc? What is better - 10.4 or 10.5?

Attached: serveimage.png (1280x800, 1.12M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6SqYMU81l8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, it's a meme parroted by unthinking morons who believe the iPhone ruined Apple before Steve Jobs took what good was left of the company with him.

leopard is shit, tiger was king

>Is it true that leopard is better than nu-macos?
Absolutely.
>What is better - 10.4 or 10.5?
Tiger > Leopard but it doesn't really matter.

Old software ages very poorly. Trying to run a version of Mac OS X / OS X / macOS that is older than five years is a pain in the ass at best and borderline unusable at worst.

Leopard was bloated garbage when it came out, and Snow Leopard was the vastly superior upgrade.

Why in the fuck would you bother with PowerPC macs anymore? The architecture is deprecated and totally useless now, unless if you're a retrofag manbaby who can't let go of old memories in that balding head of yours.

I used Snow Leopard up until last year. Partially out of laziness to clean up my files to prep for reformatting. I haven't checked all of them, but I'm not sure how up to date the web browsers are on it. I was using a combination of Firefox that I'm sure wasn't current, and a version of Safari that was so old I'm sure some Russian must have all my browsing history and passwords.

What problems i'll encounter running it using powermac g5?
Running non (((botnet))) version of os x?

>What problems i'll encounter running it using powermac g5?
Setting your house on fire.

macos was never usable.

Waterfox is still being maintained for Snow Leopard. I kinda want to go back but the new trackpad gestures are so much better.

It's not like I'm some yuropoor with garbage-tier electric wiring from aluminum.

It is when you plug macshit chinktrash into your outlets.

There's no point in using a PowerMac G5 unless you're a collector.

Attached: smuggetysmug.gif (142x146, 876K)

/thread

I think sierra is great desu
didnt bother updating to high sierra, not sure ill update to mojave or not

Mac ui/UX > any degenerate freetard commie "de". Loonix is really good as server os(i'm using it for my home server setup with proxmox and docker) but on desktop is garbage and waste of time.
And what if I want to use os x without being cucked by (((nu-Apple)))?

Almost no supported software.

>>t. literal screeching mactoddler

this

snow leopard was peak apple IMHO

now days a g4/g5 has pretty glacial performance even with fresh Debian PPC install

i own a dual boot snow leopard / debian g4 macbook pro and g5 mac pro: ask me anything

but seriously if you want to nostalgia fuck the creaky hardware and just run snow leopard in VM

Attached: lubuntu_1310_powerbook.jpg (1024x768, 296K)

Are macports or homebrew(tigerbrew) and tenfourfox running good on this things and updating? If yes, it's all I need

There are no snow leopard for ppc. Maybe just leopard or tiger?

Shit, you got me. How did you know I was an Apple user?

How well old ppc versions of os x run new versions of soft from macports or homebrew(latex, fossil, emacs, utilities like ag)?

Like total shit. If you thought new macs being called throttlebooks was a meme, you haven't even seen powerbooks.

It's not like I gonna use g4 because it's bad. I want to get g5 quad and put 16 gb with ssd into it. Is stuff like emacs compatible with old os x versions?

Just get a Rasp-Pi.

No. Snow Leopard is the best MacOS.

my bad i meant just plain leopard...it was end of the line for PPC

i got no idea i never use them they are just time capsules from 2009 that i mainly use for audio production

for me my 2011 256gb ssd debian mac air and xeon server are my main workhorses im really not a fan of mac os these days. I like the aesthetic hardware. it runs linux and windows well enough,

Attached: 1517454601947.png (645x729, 93K)

>And what if I want to use os x without being cucked by (((nu-Apple)))?
iMac G5 is more than enough. Only get a PowerMac if you can get a great deal on it or have a special use case for its features. Otherwise they use absurd amounts of electricity while still getting BTFO by a Core Duo Mac mini from 2006.

Yes

>I want to get g5 quad and put 16 gb with ssd into it.

youtu.be/6SqYMU81l8Y

I spent an ungodly amount of hours figuring out the optimal configuration for my PowerMac G5 Quad when Jow Forums convinced me hardware botnet is real.

Older versions of MacOS were great at the time but pretty shit now. Even the maintained browsers like TenFourFox are slow as fuck. If you only do LIGHT web browsing and use command-line text editors, it will be OK.

The better alternative IMO is Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS. It will continue to be supported for a few years, works out of the box, even the graphics drivers with my nVidia card which is fucking astonishing - even Debian had issues with that shit. I'm talking deep issues: I tracked it down to the newer xorg drivers regressing to not support the card. Open sores meme is real sometimes.

If you DON'T have an nvidia card, use OpenBSD, no question. Still actively has support for PPC based Macs.

tl;dr old macos is unusable nostalgia, ubuntu mate for ppc + nvidia, openbsd for ppc

I daily drive a G5 Quad. For some reason I barely break 1GB of RAM used with most of my usual programs open.
Supposedly the SATA controller on them can't talk to SATA III drives, so my attempt to put in a SSD failed. One of these days, perhaps I'll get a SATA II drive.

Attached: Picture 1.png (321x393, 48K)

You can do a lot on 10.4 or 10.5. Which one you use depends on your computer, I'd say. If you have anything below 1.5GHz with less than 1GB of RAM, I'd say you should use Tiger. The only real benefit of Leopard over Tiger is Webkit.
For web browsing use TenFourFox, Webkit, Camino, or a text browser. For terminal programs use Macports. For Youtube use PowerPC Media Center. For getting other software use PowerPC App Store. For email use Mutt or Thunderbird. Spotify works very well on PowerPC. I'd recommend you look for a 1.67GHz Powerbook G4. They're really good machines and they won't draw a shit tonne of power like a PowerMac does. Just make sure you install G4 Fan Control, or it'll get really hot.

>>command-line text editors

I use TextWrangler on my G5. Seems fine to me. I also have Office 2004 which isn't bad at all.

Would like to hear a bit about your setup. I'm and my takeaway was that the G5 is pretty unusable as a daily driver, despite being a really sweet piece of hardware.

If you're going to use PPC then you'll have to run Linux for any useful software.

/thread

Snow leopard was nice

But you need an Intel processor to use it.

Not him but didn't the first Snow Leopard machines run on non-ME Intel CPUs?

Well, they were running Core Duos. I think Intel started using their ME a couple of years after Apple switched to Intel. So I would say yes to that.

>Camino
That died a while ago.

What on Earth software do you even run?

Grindr

Yes, but it can still render most webpages well and is faster than TFF.

>Supposedly the SATA controller on them can't talk to SATA III drives, so my attempt to put in a SSD failed.
That's odd. I had an SSD and 4TB HDD in my dp single-core G5