Goddamit, google

stop splitting the community!
we will never enter the year of the linux desktop if we keep getting divided

Attached: x11.png (1126x596, 110K)

>just make it yourself lol
>also why is the community so fractured

But Chrome OS is Linux.

It is GNU+Linux.

Fuck weiland, it doesn't work with synaptics touchpad. Xorg forever.
Why it is popular in GNU community to break things? There were gorgeous sysVinit - now fucking zoo of shit. There is xorg - there will be fucking millions of non-x11 compliant shit.

>we will never enter the year of the linux desktop if we keep getting divided
YOTLD happened in about 2010, chum

linux on the desktop is almost seamless these days, far better than windows

fuck google in general, but they have nothing to do with the fact that the year of the linux desktop is never coming

thank you brother!
soon, when xorg gets its smooth video playback extension, your loyalty to the cause will be rewarded!

not him, but xorg has smooth video playback since forever

right, right
i forgot that we can't see above 30 fps

good one, made me roll my eyes

Fuck X. However, it's often the only usable option, so rip

SwayWM/Wayland all day.

X.org cucked.

The year of the Linux desktop was like 10 years ago.

t. redhat cuck

X Window is the most retarded system ever devised. WHY THE FUCK IS YOUR DISPLAY SYSTEM RUNNING AS CLIENT SERVER YOU FUCKING RETARDS. It wouldn't be so bad if it were actually capable of running remote applications, but no, it exists as a client and server to and from itself ON THE SAME BOX. Over a network it is all-but-useless.
WHY
WHYYYYY

> Over a network it is all-but-useless.
Except it's not?
Are you too stupid to use remote x?

x11 just werks 2bh

X does run remotely over networks, actually, and even on a local machine it doesn't affect performance.

Make everything a client/server split desu. It's so comfy. Xorg, mpd, deluge, tmux, ssh

Embrace, extend, and extinguish

facts

are you fucking dumb?????

try ssh -X sometime fag, get your GUI applications remotely served.

uneducated idiot
first of all sysv and systemd arent the only two options. both are shit.
second, x11 is objectively garbage and is long due for a replacement

Didn't they switch away from a gnu userland years ago?

I believe that is called plan 9.

Wayland also uses a client/server architecture.

For real though fuck Xorg. Literally anything is an improvement.

>Seamless
lmao. Last time I tried ubuntu I couldn't even choose the position of my screens through the OS.

Fun fact, at some point Google is going to sue for ownership of every bit of free shit they can.
Anyone that can't pay for lawyers will lose their code.
Same reason why companies have to sue people for misusing/redistributing their assets, to show they have not abandoned them and prove they are still retaining their rights.

Free software is dying, and Google is paying for it.

GPL protects you from this

It is just one courtroom away from being made useless since no contract is signed.

>Google would cut off their cock just on a bet for a dollar.
No.
Free source code is their lifeblood, give back as little as possible but use as much as they can is their operative. Fat companies love MIT.
And if someone threatens the basis of the GPL; all other licenses are under duress.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_suu_banana__c4c240fcf07157576b234024eba01d7e.jpg (2448x3264, 1.19M)

Let me spell it out for you. There will NEVER be mainstream desktop popularity for Linux. I repeat, NEVER.
And you should already know exactly why. And no it's not Microsoft, Apple or Google's fault, though many many things are.
If you're so autistic you don't know why ask and I'll spell it out for you, but otherwise just enjoy your personal choice in operating system and stop this dumbass 'year of Linux desktop' meme.

it's the fault of whoever makes software that isn't platform-independent. You can "kinda" run MS Office in a browser, by which I mean for anything beyond basic functionality you still have to have the native app. It's almost like they released the Web version and then realised "shit, if Office can run in the browser then why would anyone buy Windows?? I know, let's leave it crippled."

you can try and shove blame on anyone here, just like you can justify the actions of any one group. the corporations who cling onto this business model because it's the most profitable, devs who contribute to this mess because they get paid for it, or the users who use the software because there's no viable alternative. it's circular and everyone participating is equally guilty.

No it's more simple than that in many cases.
1 Linux fragmentation.
2 Software installation (things not in repository).
3 Command line.

And this is honestly about it. People have no problem going between osx and windows even in the days when office didn't work on Mac. It's not software availability...it's just not normie 'just werks' friendly. And frankly never will be.

Normies barely even use the Microsoft store, they just download shit and click it when it's done. Linux doesn't really approve of this flagrant disregard for security.

And then the fragmentation just confuses the puny normie brain. They don't care about desktop environment, it just has to be simple and work simple. Linux is normie repellent.

And before you type 'linux is easy -insert terminal command here- see that wasn't hard!' that is also WAY too much for most people.

Linux isn't unpopular because of software compatibility (never stopped apple) it's just hard for normal people.

it's too difficult for a normie to click on the Chrome icon then type in "office" and click the first link in the search results? way to completely ignore my entire point

I will further point out Android/chromeos. No command line and very little fragmentation (sure some phone makers use custom shit but it's never that different nor something they user needs to worry about) and it's retard easy.

With desktop Linux you will eventually hit the wall of 'hey I need x software not in the repo, let's download from the net click and install...wait why isn't this working?' and that's the point most people get past the Linux experimentation phase. The terminal is just too much to handle.

Most times sure these people are too stupid to be trusted with a calculator let alone a computer, but quite often it's also a matter of time and effort. When you work a 40+ hour job, have a wife/husband and kids, you just don't have time or drive to learn that shit.

And lastly the Linux community is fucking bitchy and elitist.

So yeah 'year of Linux desktop' just isn't going to happen. It's just not normie friendly and never will be.

You didn't have a point. Re-read what was typed. We are discussing two different and non related things.

>The back end of Linux is terrible
>The front end of Linux is terrible

Why would I ever want to use this on my PC?

>We are discussing two different and non related things
yeah, clearly. my whole point was that consumer software needn't be platform dependent and can just run in the Web browser, at which point the OS becomes irrelevant and an expensive license for Windows becomes pointless. it's fine if you can't understand this simple proposition, but why bother responding with walls of text about something completely unrelated?

Stop this GNU/Linux shit. Linus was right: Linux is Linux. It is NOT just a kernel. The rest of the components do not have to be GNU. That being stated, there have been many examples where it is not GNU.

>WHY THE FUCK IS YOUR DISPLAY SYSTEM RUNNING AS CLIENT SERVER YOU FUCKING RETARDS
its called good design

Chrome OS use a different display server for years if not from the start.

>no contract is signed
Arguing that GPL is invalid since there's no signed contract is the most retarded defence ever since copyrighted works default to "all rights reserved by author" in the absence of license agreement.

You'd be basically admitting to copyright infringement for financial gain with that defence.

>doesn't work with synaptics
>what is libinput

You're fucking retarded.

>Hurr Durr what are Shepherd, runit, and Wayland?

so that's what all the fuss was about? saw a thread about plan9 some time ago where some user was developing it. to me it seemed like it had something to do with decentralization but i am too /v/-tier to understand.

Attached: 1521533813320.jpg (512x498, 30K)

There's also GNU HURD, which goes further by trying to modularize the kernel in a similar fashion.
Thing is, developing and debugging these systems while they're unstable in the beginning is notoriously hard.

yeah, that makes sense since hurd has been in development since 90s if i'm not mistaken. would be cool to see it work, though.

The second it becomes usuable as a daily driver, I'm ditching Linux.
Other than getting a coherent GNU OS (finally!), it should be much much more robust and much safer to use.

>The second it becomes usuable as a daily driver
Too bad its never gonna happen

I'm not counting on it happening, currently OK with Linux as a kernel, but it would be a nice thing.

>muh runit
broken

The nice thing is that if X freezes you can just do CTRL+ALT+F2 to open a new tty. If Windows DWM freezes you have to restart.