Is 8GB RAM enough for C++ development?

Is 8GB RAM enough for C++ development?

Fug, I found a 13" dell xps with a STEAL price but RAM is not upgradable.

Is 16GiBs really a meme?

Attached: dell xps 15.jpg (1600x1066, 231K)

yes.
actually 4 gb is enough, unles you need to emulatorsvms or some other software

Just dont use visual studio. That piece of bloat will not help your machine.

No one who knows their ass from a hole in the ground would use visual studio lmao

There is literally nothing wrong with visual studio.

>just don't develop professionally
fixed it for you

For tiny toy projects in g++ which you'll update to BasedHub you'll be fine

Hi, Pajeet. Nice to see you.

Pajeet probably develops in Eclipse with G++.

Jelly OP. My laptop has only 4Gb and that's enough for SQL, Apache and Angular server used to parse 500mb XML files In C. Though I free memory at each node.

I have an xps 13. The retardedly high resolution means it’s actually pretty terrible for productivity. It’s an expensive favebook machine.

Even 512mb is enough if you kow what you are doing.

Even 640 KB is enough if you ignore 30 years of progress and don't do anything that modern developers do.

The one I found is 1080p. i7 8550u (that's why i actually want it because 8th gen has 4 cores 8 threads, make -j8). So it's either:

>i7 7550u 2 cores 4 threads and 16GB
>i7 8550u 4 cores 8 threads and 8GB

what would you choose?

My XPS13 has 16GB but my desktop still only has 8GB, literally nothing wrong with it unless you're developing professional software on an enormous project (which you would probably be using company computers for anyway)

what's wrong with it? other than looking like shit, i like eclipse quite a lot.

Dude wtf 2 GB is enough ram for just about anything when you get down to it.

I will use CLion or Visual Studio, keep in mind.

2GB is enough for C++ development
on LXDE plus any non Java bloated IDE..

>will 8gb be enough to develop in a programming language invented when the standard was 300mb of RAM
>should I go higher

How do you think people developed in C++ 15 years ago ? Or 10 ? Or 5 ? Just don't use bloated Visual Studio and you'll be fine with even 1Gb

And I used to run Visual Studio(older versions of it) years ago on a 2Gb machine - but please don't use it - even if your university forces you. My uni used to force me to use it, but I would do homeworks in Vim+Compiler and it than just defend my projects on uni PCs. It's a bloated software that doesn't even work properly - most of the development of VS focuses on how edgy, modern and nice the design will look - software hasn't really improved in at least 5 years. I remember that I had to make a profile on VS just to use it, and since my name is not in Latin alphabet VS crashed on startup (because it couldn't read it) and saved my name somewhere in it's config files. No matter how many times I would delete it, reinstall it or how thoroughly I did it, it would always remember my name and crash on startup. So I had to grep my name using linux just to delete it so that this stupid piece of shit could even start. And even with top-tier SSD it would load for fucking 20 seconds, crash every few minutes because it couldn't handle me turning debug on and off everytime I wanted to change something. It's a useless piece of crap

I read 4 gb is all you need in case you have an SSD, and it's just a 10% performance increase going 8 gb from 4.

>He fell for the bloat meme

Attached: technology-quiz-8-728.jpg (728x546, 59K)

Cant you just use an lowe resolution?

can cofirm, best for productivity is big simple fonts for which you really don't need high resulution. With high res, everything tends to be as small as possible. You don't want things to be small, you want things to be easiliy readable - something like scientifica font

Attached: scientifica.png (498x403, 10K)

C++? Sure. Be wary of visual studio though.

sublime ahoy

Honestly it depends on the size and complexity of the code and the compiler you're using. If it's a small project 8GB will be fine, but larger projects will need 16GB minimum.

Most of our devs are using more than 8GB of RAM right now with the majority using VS.

C++ development itself doesn't require that much RAM for stuff you'd do on a laptop, and in case your project is too big you'd be compiling it remotely anyway.

Now then for normal operation of a computer - the more RAM you can get the better, even browsers are incredible memory hogs these days. Personally I'm aiming for a 32GB memory laptop next, but that's because my development involves running three IDEs at the same time, a backend VM, at least one mobile VM, and several dozen chrome tabs. 16GB is just barely enough for that, and I have to close everything I don't need.

tl;dr it's probably okay for you if it's a steal

8GB is minimum for a pleasant web browsing experience for modern browsers. You can do C++ just fine.

Take the quad core, you will see far more performance benefits from such, than you would ever see from 16 GB's of ram.

>don't do anything that modern developers do.
That's very good advice actually considering how fucking awful 'modern developers' have gotten.

Turbo C++ on a 90s machine was a better developer experience than Visual Studio 2017 on todays hardware.

Back in the day 16mb was enough for Borland c++

>le pajeet meme xD
here's your (You)

Unless you plan on java development, you are good to go

How much?

8MiB of ram was more than enough for me.

You can use the visual studio compilers without the ide ;)

Attached: 1527690507419.jpg (1496x881, 579K)

>RAM is not upgradable
Redflag right there

This is incredibly sad because for a lot of uses (not C++ though) IntelliJ-based IDEs are the best choice with little competition, and their convenience is worth it despite the memory hogging.

But nonetheless eating so much RAM and the constant goddamn caching are annoying as fuck.

Yeah IntelliJ IDEs are faggotry. I will probably stick to Visual Studio in Win10 and use WSL when necessary.

Thangz anonz :DDD I will take the quad core.

msvc is SHIT compared to gcc except for windows development and debugging.
GCC has much more macros (msvc doesn't even have endianess macro)
Use mingw64 and msys2 toolchain when you master C++
You don't have to use VS as an IDE for C++. Just use a text editor with simple highlighting and target msvc compiler

>Just use a text editor with simple highlighting

Jesus have you guys ever worked on a >=moderate C++ project before? Text editor is almost a no-go for ESPECIALLY C++11 projects. You need that intellisense when things get more complicated.

Autism

I hate intellisense, it's distracting and annoying.
The useful parts of an IDE is the integrated debugging and code navigation stuff (find all references, goto definition, etc)

8GB is enough but you really should invest in 16GB to future proof it.

This. Use the compilers on their own and then use VS Code or Sublime Text or whatever your preferred text editor is. I do the same thing with VS Code on Linux, except I compile C with GCC.

it depends what you're developing

Macs are better for C++ development in my experiences, PCs are overrated.

50MB is enough.

Pycharm + Chrome (~15 tabs) + Ubuntu + terminals + Telegram sits at about 3GB for me. Unless you dev stuff that uses memory, you're going to be ok

>What does ctrl + ctrl - do in every program ever.

Nigga, just zoom the fck in.

Attached: GNigga.png (1746x1015, 204K)

What's a computer?