/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: tpg.png (600x600, 278K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T60-LAPTOP-WINDOWS-10-32bit-NOTEBOOK-COMPUTER-DVD-HD-WiFi-PC/311439817900?epid=1560545947&hash=item4883427cac
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Should I turn off the thinkvantage hard drive protection if the thing's permanently on the desk?

Attached: 1527206172330.jpg (2701x1826, 372K)

Should I go for a 30 model or 40p or can they both have 32gb ram and a quad core processor?

Why not go with something newer. I have p51s now and t440p is a fucking joke compared to this thing. Battery life is solid.

i want a p series fuck i wished i had money

r8 pls. Made them myself, bought them on aliexpress, 50 for 8 euros

Attached: 34529441_10210196729068914_6253368504896978944_n.jpg (2048x1536, 634K)

Going to get the x210. Is there any reason I shouldn't do it? The total cost is around $500 max

they look like shit, are you 40+yo, retarded or a beta loser?

400€-ish budget
IPS screen
i Series CPU
Lightweight
Those are my main requirements
What would you recommend and why?
Currently leaning towards t440s or x240

>IPS screen
>i Series CPU
>Lightweight
Retina Macbook Pro

I said IPS, not necessarily hi res.
Also 400€ budget.

Is $240 a decent price for a W530? i7 quad core, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd, looks in decent conditions from the pictures. How hard is it to swap out the chiclet keyboard for an older one? Unrelated question, can you stick a ssd in a X40?

What resolution, exact CPU name, and post the picture

>That price for a W530
Of course, unless it's on a shit state.
>SSD in a X40
You need an IDE to mSATA adapter, I think

>having stickers
t. loser

>X230 i7
>8GB DDR3-12800 (1600MHz) - (Up to 16 GB)
>128GB-Solid State Drive SSD
>Intel® HD4000 Graphics
>12.5" HD+ Matte Screen (1366x768) LED Panel

I need a compact laptop and this baby looks nice. The seller asks 270 euros. Would you pay that much?

So should I just wait for the p52 then?

it's worth more around 200 euros
but if it's in mint condition i'd take it

What is the smallest Thinkpad there is? I need something tiny.

Attached: 8c2d90e7-ab5e-4969-95b6-5e1e824b214b.jpg (92x68, 2K)

WHERE IS IT?!

Attached: csm_7nw_Thinkpad_P52_Hero_Birdseye_B_C_Cover_copy_ac534dc0f4.png (1481x1200, 808K)

Numpads was a mistake.

Smallest that is relatively modern and worth buying? Probably the X200s.

Need some help lads, I currently use a Thinkpad T420 with the 800p screen and 8gb of ram. I'm finding severe slowdown while using Lightroom with heavy workloads and obviously video rendering is a nightmare. I've listed the laptop for sale and need a replacement.

Any option for around £350? I'm happy with Dell, Macbooks, Thinkpads, as long as it's sturdy and handles heavy photo editing and some video work.

Attached: 1516142057639.png (593x635, 260K)

Oh and my main drive is a fast SSD

Attached: 1467438343916.jpg (2008x2292, 637K)

I'm looking to get my girlfriend a thinkpad for university, would a T440p be a good choice? Would make a few upgrades like 8GB RAM if it doesnt have it. Ideally dont want to spend more than £250 overall.

Try to imagine a dumb 3dpd roastie using a t440p outside for a moment, now tell me if it'd be a good choice.

Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

Does 90w charger (barrel plug) work on airplanes? Or do I need a 65w charger to not trip the fuse?

T430 with quad core cpu (45w)

What kind of Lightroom work?

Batches of hundreds of photos a day. I volunteer locally as a photographer, when I import hundreds of photos my Thinkpad slows to a chug and batch editing with sync I have to get up to make a cup of tea or two as it thinks it over. The screen isn't the best for editing either, I find my colours are off a lot.

I was thinking something like a Dell Precision M6400, I'll see if any Macbook Pro with retinas are available.

I read somewhere that most airplanes limit the in-seat power to 75W

I'll get an extra 65w then, ty.

>tfw 135w brick

>any reason
the cost ... shouldn't pay more than 200 for an x210
yes
god i can feel the chiclet from here
shilling is not a real job

>god I can feel the chiclet from here
Isn't it the same as the rest of the p series?

Why is the t440p a joke?

yeah and that's the only thing that kept me from buying one all this time
i know how they feel, i own some of the newer T series and just their sight makes me cringe
user meant that the power can't compare to the P series

Make Thinkpads Great Again!

Other than snagging a fabulous deal locally, try to snag a W530 with the K2000m GPU.
If you want something massive, a 8760W or M6600 are good, both can get upgraded dGPUs if you need more performance.

Heck probably an iGPU T450p might do pretty well.

Attached: PowerLaptopEWS.jpg (1202x1246, 865K)

>user meant that the power can't compare to the P series
But the OP compared a P51s to the T440p and the T440p quad core processor is ~1.5x better in performance compared to the best processor available for the P51s.

>T440p
integrated graphics a shit

why?

look at this, stronger than asus*acer2
aluminium lid, pic related

Attached: Al.jpg (1880x1080, 475K)

Does Libreboot allow for HDAPSD on Parabola? Parabola is prompting me to downgrade linux_libre.

T25 is on sale for $1,266. Worth it at that price? Thinking of grabbing it.

Is $240 a good deal for a T430 with i5 3320M, 8gb of ram and 240SSD?

Attached: 2913129310.png (885x1080, 472K)

yeah but if i were you i'd buy one that comes with shittier stuff because any ssd or ram in it is guarenteed to be the cheapest shit
also i'd get a t420 cuz keyboard unless you plan on modding

Do you use your thickbad's fingerprint reader?

Attached: 1528233453452.jpg (1000x691, 72K)

yeah it makes me feel cool after typing sudo something and having a nice custom gui for fingerprint-gui that looks 31337 as fuck

No.
It's pretty much another useless stupid gimmick like backlit keyboards.

NO!
1. it won't always be on the desk.
2. it's insurance
3. i've knocked shit off the desk, trust me
4. you have nothing to gain by turning it off
5. you have a lot to lose by turning it offf

is it better to get 2 chinks batteries vs 1 genuine one?

if you plan on using them both at once (switching them out on long travel) then yes
if you plan on waiting for one to die then no

Found a 70€ x201 and a 100€ x230, is it worth it?

>x201
Deprecated
>x230
If it's not IPS it goes in the trash

Removed the stickers on my thinkpad and they left an outline.
Should I just cover the spot with a bigger sticker now?

>Removed the stickers on my thinkpad
but why

They're both in great state, but yeah I didn't ask yet if the x230 got ips or if their batteries are in good state

No, get some 90% rubbing alcohol and wipe the spot to remove the leftover adhesive

That's -50% off the resell price

>sold desktop
>need mobile computer
>had T420 in the past
>want to buy another ThinkPad
>simple, will install Win7/10 first
>go to Linux in the future possibly but Win easiest for work/accessibility for me right now
>so be nice

Whats a decent, modern ThinkPad now? Any current model recommendations?

>E570
>are the E Series acceptable?

T480 is pretty decent iirc, haven't owned one though so any input is welcome

I am user

I'm looking for entry to mid Thinkpad, newest gen they make. Is that a decent choice and are they still robust? Amazon, Newegg, and Lenovo website have conflicting reports as to which models I should be considering.

The Windows 7 sticker was pissing me off because I use Windows 10

It's not residue, the spots under the stickers weren't darkened by uv light like the rest of the plastic, so there's a visible light outline from where the stickers were

Fug.

Yeah, I have plans to mod it later. I found a t410 keyboard for $10 but I don't know which keyboard models the t430 chassis can accept.

Attached: [email protected] (617x786, 583K)

And the award for the best thinkpad keyboard ever goes to...

W510 guy here
Ordered the full HD screen last week, and it came in today. Managed to get a legitimate B156HW01 V4, not a knockoff.
You guys weren't kidding, this screen is amazing.

X300/301. It's like the others, but with slightly more travel. Also has the glowy thinkvantage button. The esc/F1 layout is a turnoff for some people though.

Attached: IMG_0955.jpg (3024x4032, 1.92M)

How are you sure that it's the exact model
Also, wide gamut support is a bitch regardless of OS

Once you know what Thinkpad you want to buy, how do you find good sellers? Do you go through Amazon? Ebay? Craigslist?

I have a W510 too, that screen looks sweet.

Have you ever tried using any expresscards with your W510? I've gone through two different ones that work if I insert it after Windows boots but causes the BIOS to hang at the Thinkpad logo if I keep it in during boot.

Good, now unless you have the panel calibrated, and using a color managed program, and are viewing aRGB content, reds will look neon-like, blue will look cyan-ish (you'll never see proper deep blue) and colors in general will appear overly saturated.

Asked the seller, also it has the model number written on the back, and AUO stamped into the metal frame. If it's a fake, it's a damn good one.

What sucks is that I was trying to look for a machine (probably a T510) that I could cannibalize for the screen+RAM+storage, but very few ebay listings actually specify the resolution.

I'd also like to look into doing something with the old screen.

No. I've wanted to eGPU but I have a desktop for that.

Yep, the reds are....red.

Some look ok, some look like cheap knockoffs. 4/10.

Sorry desu

Attached: 1487045437024.jpg (782x366, 139K)

Craigslist is your best bet if you can find the model that you want on there. You get to inspect the laptop in person and the prices are usually cheaper.

Ebay is your next best bet, use all your common Ebay sense.

>Local IT place has cheap W500s
>T9400
>FireGL V5700
>Resolution listed as 1280x800 which they were never made with
>would go buy today if it had 1920x1200 screen
>call up and ask if they can double check the resolution
>they can't get them out
>they give me serial number instead
>Lenovo website has serial ID lookup disabled for products that old

Anyone have a W500 with this cpu/gpu?
pls gib display res

Attached: 1477795152547.png (688x578, 32K)

>they give me serial number instead
gibe

ebay.com/itm/IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-T60-LAPTOP-WINDOWS-10-32bit-NOTEBOOK-COMPUTER-DVD-HD-WiFi-PC/311439817900?epid=1560545947&hash=item4883427cac

Is this worth?

R8DNDTT
Not the exact one but same batch

what about the machine type xxxx-xxx

>no pictures of actual product
>one hundred and fifteen united states dollars for a decade old laptop
>"refurbished"

But memes aside that's a terrible deal. You can get a T420 for that price.

Guys why are Latitudes and Elitebooks cheaper than Thinkpads on ebay? Is it this general's fault?

Cute girl!

Attached: Screenshot_20180606-193337.png (1920x1080, 1.09M)

Attached: Screenshot_20180606-193700.png (1057x1055, 417K)

>The Windows 7 sticker was pissing me off because I use Windows 10
Maybe the sticker was trying to tell you something

W520 here, bought mine with the 1080p panel. Not sure if there is a difference between the two but can confirm that this screen is among the best I've ever used. If you need a calibrated colour profile, I can probably share.

It's many peoples' fault, but frankly /tpg/ does not have enough bodies to cause any noticeable shift in price. I think Reddit and the trannies are mostly to blame. Also, based on my personal experience, Elitebooks are just worse. Latitudes are underpriced value options because whenever someone thinks of Dell, they think of shitty consumer notebooks and consequently the Latitude line gets overlooked. They are not QUITE as good as Thinkpads because the nub mouse isn't as good (although since the patents expired this year, maybe Dell will be smart and just copy Lenovo's design). But otherwise extremely capable machines available on the cheap.

I'm curious now, do you know what Dell/HP's offerings in the 13" line are?
I'm thinking something like the x240.

That would be the 5000 and 700 series I think. I personally used an E5250 (equivalent of an X260), which was good EXCEPT for the lack of a pointing stick. Dell must have had to choose between a runt trackpad with pointing stick, or big trackpad and no pointing stick. Seeing as most people look at me with a befuddled expression when I use the trackpoint on my W520, I can't really blame Dell for excluding it, but that in my opinion is a huge disadvantage vs the X series.

that's a boy, my dude.

They didn't seem to be any cheaper than the x240 I was looking at, so I ordered that.
Thanks for the info!

Share the profile then? What's the model name of the panel?

I have a LEN40B2, not sure which revision. Must not be the v1 because apparently they're awful

Does /tpg/ stand with Fujitsu?

The Lifebook T734

+4th gen intel
+socketted CPU
+Expresscard slot
+pen input
+3 disks possible despite being 12.5"
+secondary drive bay can take another 6-cell battery
+Goes for ~$100

As a 12.5" laptop it seems very nice. Only thing missing is the trackpoint.

Attached: t734q.jpg (640x480, 40K)

kek

faggit detected

because faggot skateboarders do that shit

>No. I've wanted to eGPU but I have a desktop for that.
TFW the desktop _is_ the eGPU

>socketed Haswell on a convertible lappie
>the rest of its characteristics
Based nip engineering.

>Lifebook
the irony

Hi Jow Forums my 8-cell battery gets delivered tomorrow (hopefully). Which distro is best for battery life? Atm i'm just using ubuntu coz it just werks. Any tweaks I could make?

Attached: IMG_0030.jpg (2728x2728, 1.6M)

tlp or laptop-mode-tools
powertop
LED conversion kit

If I install Windows XP with SP3 on a T42, is there any need to have it do the updates after it installs or will it work fine without them? Also, how do I find what hardware is in my specific laptop so that I can get the correct drivers?