What's the deal with smartphones lasting only a couple of years (max)...

What's the deal with smartphones lasting only a couple of years (max)? Why can't/won't they build models that last 7 years like any decent laptop? Is technology really moving this fast forward or are we getting bamboozled here?

Attached: throwing-away-old-cellphones-feeding-consumerism.png (560x350, 18K)

>what is planned obsolescence

Gotta make your money off the fat Americans to exploit the Chinese kids.

Manufactures can't possibly make something that will last forever or else they'll go out of business. Fuck I still bitch about a piece of clothing that only lasted six months.

you can still comfily use the galaxy s4, which was released back in 2013. it's still a fast phone and unless you want le gaymes it will do you just fine

tale as old as time

Attached: accidentallyonpurpose.jpg (1200x1200, 83K)

Laptops have more failsafe hardware, a whole lot less competitive a market, and a much,much more scummy business model belongs to cellphones.

I have a Huawei Y6 for over three years now, a little slower, but does the job and it's hella durable (i have a screen protector and a "mask" for the back , sides and the corners of the phone), Android 5.1, but still has lots of support

>Android 5.1
>lots of support
The fuck you on?

>mfw still using Blackberry Classic
>mfw only issue is i left it in car and the case is starting to separate from frame in one corner
prob should super glue that soon

hey, it doesn't have firmware updates, but if it has chrome and messenger support, that's all i need

Capitalism at work.
The only way to keep increasing prodictivity without having to get rid of people in the workforce is to decrease the lifecycle of the products.

I'm still on an iphone4 i got brand new back in 2010/2011. only thing that doesnt work is the physical home button but you can use a virtual one on the screen. outside of that and the shit camera/video quality it's still a decent phone. i do plan on getting a new iphone for the camera/4g/ability to update apps&get newer apps. ive dropped mine onto tile at least 10x and it only has dents on the metal or scratches on the glass.

gee I wonder why

Attached: 5b13ae825386a73f1d35693aebe7730155724d23_jpg.png (255x251, 9K)

Look at postmarketOS, you can literally install mainstream Linux on phone from 2009 with full DE and software suite, as
said it's planned obsolescence on software level

>buying shit phones
Shiggydo. My Note2 still runs lineage with fantastic connectivity and battey life. I've replaced the battery two times over the years and that's it. Just works.

>adopted iWatch version 1
>clunky, ugly, uncomfortable, can't upgrade
>don't even want to use it as a fitness tracker

Any brilliant ideas of what to do with it?

>iMac_as_fishtank.pdf

Can't find it.

i use an S4, it doesn't feel slow, it runs several things at once without paging, has a really nice 1080x1920 OLED display, battery lasts all day, lineage provides weekly updates
i see no need to replace it until it breaks

/thread

>tfw I've shaven with a hatchet for the past decade and only have to sharpen it once a week with a diamond stone
Only downside is because of the 20° bevel, I doubt this will ever be able to chop wood for very long.

Attached: F9M22KYICPP2MZD.LARGE_.jpg (1024x722, 113K)

Have my htc one m8 from 2014
It still works, but slowly dies, changed the battery, the new one didnt even last 8 months before swelling, Display got a white dot recently, and you can tell its times over cuz the 16gb of memory isnt enough for shit
All in all a really tough phone, survived crazy beating got heavy scars and dents in its aluminium body
>display didnt break lmao
But i hated htc before i bought it and i hate em even more now

>Buy phone to replace phone I dropped in 2016
>End up buying 3 new phones due to software / hardware issues
>Decide to go ahead and keep using 2016 phone.
I'll keep using my UMI Diamond until 2G goes away.

Galaxy S5 is still going strong. I don't mind using my S2 with cyanogenmod either.

Seconded, unless you want to emulate PSP on your phone, it is never obsolete.

Gay ass plastic shit, cheap as fuck old ass design, worth nothing, it wouldnt even survived half the shit my htc one has seen

Yeah better make it glass so it breaks easily!
Can you replace your battery without sliding a box opener into your phone? Didn't think so.

It's also twice as old. Even my battery is still fine.

Wtf u subhumans talk about, my htc one m8 is a aluminium unibody it dropped several times extremly hard but still works, any other phone especially cheap ass thin abs plastic and thin iphone aluminium would be in thousands of pieces after this
Also yes i need to hair dry it to remove the glue to switch the battery but its a good price for a phone thats from 2014 and still can compete to 2018 shit in terms of design and unique features like propably still the best stereo speakers
Also nigger the s5 and htc one m8 are from the same timeline of releases

Do you have any kind of burn in on your screen?

I'm talking about my S2. The S5 isn't even plastic

Yes in his hands from that samsung housefire

Attached: AC06BAA3CFD24E7AB374C2ACD3040F36.jpg (640x480, 45K)

in a dark room, with a very dim greyish picture on screen, i can see some slight non-linearity (too faint to tell what it might have been)
however, that was already there when i got this phone second hand in 2014, it hasn't gotten worse as far as i can tell, and it's entirely unnoticeable during normal usage
that said, i don't use my phone as much as the average person, i'd say, and i don't leave the same thing on screen for long periods of time. i don't see this being an issue for the lifetime of this phone

>the s5 iant even plastic
It is dumb nigger
>s2
Even cheaper abs shit ass plastic

>Why can't/won't they build models that last 7 years
They can, those are called iPhones. I still use my 7 year old iPhone 4S daily, runs like a dream. You just have to replace the battery every 3 years or so. Costs maybe $8 a pop.

Wanna take this outside HTC faglord?

I actually hate htc
But yes cmon bich i will low kick urbubble head

>having a smartphone
oh no sweetie...

Capitalism is only sustainable in its current form through constant progress and profit. Got to keep up if you don't want your company to go under. There is no profit if a lot of your users keep using one phone for half a decade.

For some reason everyone wants to pack as much fast shit into a phone as possible, which is part of whats driving the quick rate of obsolescence.

Also the age old problem of software devs don't know how to optimize hardware.

my iPhone 5 is 6 years old and it's perfectly fine.

Problem is that they're packing hardware that's too fast for its size.
A modern phone can't run at full speed for over 5 minutes without overheating/throttling to a crawl.

Attached: 1525964738554.jpg (910x854, 134K)

Mine from 2011 still works fine. Sure it can't run the latest firefox or chrome, but there are other lightweight non-botnet alternatives. And even though I have a kinda newer, modern phone, this little one still is my dedicated Jow Forums browser. I have a soft spot for small phones.

Attached: samsung-galaxy-w-i8150.jpg (539x455, 122K)

Note2 wtf so old