How many Jow Forumsentleman have drank the FSF koolaid and use only libre software?

How many Jow Forumsentleman have drank the FSF koolaid and use only libre software?

Will 100% free software solutions ever be practical for a business let alone a developer or IT professional?

Is the FSF a dying cause?

Attached: fsf.png (580x580, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Firmware
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wish I could, but sadly it's not practical for me.
In the future i'd like to have my home/personal system be 100% libre or close to it, and have a "good goy" PC for anything that demands the usage of botnet hardware or software.

>ATi firmware
almost none

why would you want to go marxist copyleft?
but really foss can't compete yet, it's in a mediocre state I don't see it getting out of unless people stop being so fragmeneted and put some people with genuine interest in freedom who aren' radical meme people like stallman

>tfw too poorfag to buy Vikings D16 Libre Workstation
>tfw botnet wants me to go to work

I use open source software near exclusively with an exception of wifi driver, BIOS and whatever JavaScript the browser pushes me, but hell I hate Stallman and FSF. Completely free systems (as in price) with permissive license existed before GNU.

>have drank
The war on the present perfect continues

Yes, their cause is garbage. The focus should be on open source. The licensing matters fuckall on an individual or small group level. If I have the source code, I can fork it however the fuck I please. If a proprietary but open source operating system has spyware built in like Winshit does, I can just strip it out and recompile. If the company comes after me I can just build my own tool to automatically strip out the trash, accomplishing the same thing without redistributing their code.

Attached: 1485671751442.gif (500x500, 1.79M)

>Will 100% free software solutions ever be practical for a business
Linux rocks for Servers.

Some good replacements are
Unity Engine -> Unreal Engine
Adobe Photoshop -> Krita (since Gimp sucks)
Adobe Illustrator -> Inkscape
Adobe Audition -> Audacity
Autodesk Maya -> Blender
Adobe Premiere -> Blender
MS Office -> Libre Office, Latex, Markdown
Mathematica -> GNU Octave, Jupyter
mathLab -> SciLab, Jupyter
Chrome, Firefox -> Waterfox
IDEs, Sublime Text, VSCode -> Gedit or Vim

>Will 100% free software solutions ever be practical for a business let alone a developer or IT professional?

No

>Is the FSF a dying cause?

Yes

>Gedit or Vim
>Not emacs

Emacs is bloated af.

I wish they'd update their page on SBC's

Their cause is a good one, why should someone be forced to run something that is harmful to their security, privacy and freedom on a device they own?

But sadly capitalism seeks a higher profit and there is more money to be made by dicking over users than treating them logically and fairly.

Take DRM, it's basically from music label and film distributors who are trying to arbitrarily keep their industry relevent when technology has made them largely obsolete. People these days can and do make all of their music on a computer and it's stupidly easy to get your music out there for people to hear and record companies aren't interested in an internet artist if they haven't already gotten a million billion views on YouTube. So what the fuck are they actuallly for? What gives them the right to continue dicking over both artists and listeners?

other than AMDGPU for firepro cards, pretty much most of their graphics stack is open sores

Last time I checked unreal engine just offered public source, not open source and definitely not free software.
Also no GNU Icecat.

Yeah, but it will take time. Operating systems are stagnating. You can accomplish the same tasks with similar difficulty on Linux, Mac, and Windows. The real issues are hardware and software support. Mac and Windows has several industry-standards under their belt that have no real equivalent on Linux. This isn't an inherent flaw of Linux that is impossible to remedy, but it is an uphill battle. The good thing is that Windows is starting to shove lots of excess cruft into their OS that people don't actually need which makes GNU/Linux's generally minimalist approach more appealing. Ads? Candy Crush? How about you stop running scans/updating when I tell you to? Oh, Cortana is required even though I use it for nothing? Dope, wasted disk space, RAM, CPU cycles, and UI space. Yeah, complaining about OS is seriously a first world problem but the implications of being in control of our computing are huge.

Can you imagine if Microsoft actually puts their money where their mouth is and frees the NT Kernel and core Windows components?

Overnight Jow Forums would ditch Gentoo and Arch for an NT distro.

wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Firmware

Implying NT and core Windows isn't vulnerable AF

>koolaid
What?

This.

Pretty accurate take here.

It's a pretty slim operating system considering how furnished it is.

>GIMP sucks

What a faggot.

Why do you presume people would ditch Linux for NT? All the open sourced code would just get introduced into the Wine project enabling Linux full compatibility with Windows software. If DirectX was also freed there'd literally no longer be a reason to use Windows whatsoever. Even now Wine runs (some) Windows software way better than Windows runs Linux software with the Linux subsystem. And Wine had to work with closed source all this time. Not to mention the progress that would be made on ReactOS, rendering Windows entirely redundant.

I sure wouldn't ditch my GNU/Linux distribution, but I would ditch my dual-booted Windows in a heartbeat if that happened.

I believe unreal engine allows you to change the source and redistribute copies with/without your changes; isn't that free software? the only requirement i know is that if you earn a certain amount of money using unreal engine then you need to pay a small percentage of it, which doesn't go against free software?

I don't use libre software exclusively, but whether free software is ever practical for business is inconsequential. Developers usually do use the GNU or BSD userlands anyway and if you're a Windows dev none of these questions are worth much. IT Pros are in the same situation.

Free software and specifically the GPL may or may not be dying but none the less its a better license than BSD and way better than proprietary. If a company wants to distribute modified copies the community they pull from should have access to those changes. Theyre indirectly paying for the development of the project like they should. Otherwise the economic gains are not seen by the community unless they're nice enough to donate. It also allows EEE situations since they can take something open, make it nicer, and then never contribute back and close it off (see MacOS). And funnily enough norms will think the company did everything.

So the FSF I think should continue to keep chamioning the GPL mostly. The GNU tools may have warts, but they support so many ISAs which is handy. Stallman is a polarizing figure, but a purist is needed for that kind of cause to be taken seriously.

It would be nice
Right now i'm on the botnet known as Windows 10
But it would drastically limit my internet
So I just lie on everything and anything

Librebooted Parabola GNU/Linux-libre 100% free software.

any kind of forced payments are against free software

I have a libre x60 for fun.
>business
You could do all your basic business computing on it through open office. No real problems communicating either. The trick would be clients wanting to use things like Skype or Hangouts which are widely used.
>developer
I am a developer so it works fine for that.
>IT pro
Can't see why not, but again the popular platform and tool issue. Most IT has proprietary in their tool chain. Hard to affect the standards of an industry.
>dying cause
Maybe. I don't really care. It's a hobby for me not a life mission. MIT licensing is what I use most of the time.