Preferred Linux Distro?

Jow Forums, what is your preferred linux distro and why?

> first time Linux user

Attached: 1ov51f.jpg (460x422, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io/
docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:kernelbuilding
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like debian because I've used it for a decade and never switched.

i like debian because i started with ubuntu so i know apt and debian is less retarded than ubunut

Arch
pacman is just better

install gentoo

arc users, everyone

I

Kubuntu

Ubuntu is convenient because so much shit is available & optimized for it.

The Kubuntu official flavor specifically because Gnome is shit

Xubuntu - stable, not bloated, good UX, easy to use
I avoid GNOME and GNOME-based DEs. KDE would be great if the devs weren't visually handicapped and if the DE itself were as stable as Xfce.

why not kde neon

ubuntu. its cute and comfy

Strong, virile Men use Fedora as their home OS, so they can go to work, make millions of dollars with Redhat and slay Pussy.

Attached: lrg.jpg (500x628, 269K)

my own based on LFS and Arch because it's the best way for me to waste time with my OS.

Slackware

Because it has the "just werks" policy out of the box, shipping with both generic and a huge kernel and no unresolved deps. so you can choose what you want to use and it will all work guaranteed, even the software you compile onto it from various repos.

You compile your own source to suit your needs, much like Gentoo, and Slackware does, indeed have several package managers which do not suffer from same Python-related problems as Portage does, because most prominent of them are written in Perl which is a much better language for those sorts of things than Python.

It is the most stable distribution, period. Software is never changed to suit the distribution and things will never magically crash. Everything is well tested and you would be hard pressed to find a single bug. And even if your applications do crash by some ungodly chance, there is no monolith like SystemD standing in your way when it comes to debugging. Slackware and all of its files are just small scripts.

All in all, you spend around a week building it, and when you do actually build it in the end, you don't have to touch it ever again.

I remember that shit was the first ever distro I tried. Glad it's still around tbqh
>Installed off floppy disks
>tried to run xwindows
>didn't touch it again for years

Attached: vdb09m.jpg (512x401, 23K)

Void Linux is great, because it's pretty stable, easy to use, has no systemd, is fast and minimal.
Now I want to try Gentoo, I'm at my 2nd day installing it, I messed something with partitions, but I won't give up.

I like debian, lots of tutorials and support available. the Arch wiki is also very good.

Attached: Pope.jpg (540x393, 17K)

alpine
needed to get away from glibc and systemd

This guy is a virgin.

elementaryOS is so comfy
elementary.io/

i like manjaro because it just werks and also looks nice without having to touch anything

I assume you're not using genkernel?

Debian

Debian for servers, Ubuntu for personal use. Keeps everything consistent across machines, and apt is based

Arch for the repos.

Arch
it feels better

I like linux mint. Stable, comfortable to use, and easy for use. I'm a lazy person so mint fits perfectly.

And cinnamon is a great DE so why should i use other distro for cinnamon than distro made by creators of cinnamon?

Attached: s2wbia.png (375x360, 84K)

I used to like Lubuntu but I've moved to xubuntu. I'm so used to apt that I can't be bothered to learn arch or anything really but I do like the low ram use of xubuntu and Lubuntu. Debian is fine as well but by the time I install a desktop such as lxde I might have well put Lubuntu on it instead. And Lubuntu/xubuntu handles laptop brightness keys a lot better than I found Debian to do so. I would like to try arch but not for my main machine. Not yet.

I like Linux mint, but I find it kind of slow even on Decent hardware. Mint xfce is nice however

Yeah. Sometimes cinnamon felt clumsy before but at linux mint 19 they improved cinnamon performamce.

We cant deny mint dev team starts doing their job well.

Attached: 1513704293222.png (483x701, 311K)

pacman a shit, the AUR is based
t. Arch user

mint or manjaro always xfce

I am before compiling kernel part, if it's what you mean. If not, I'm installing gentoo minimal with default stage3 and I'm at chroot part and can't do stuff with /boot/ because my partition has wrong filesystem type(ext4)

install source mage

Antergos for Beginners
Arch for Advanced users

Because they are very modern (bleeding edge) & customizable.

Although I'm considering switch to Void Linux. Which seems more secure.

Because Void unlike other distros don't include the controversial systemd.

Most distros such as Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian & Arch include the systemd.

Systemd is controversial because it was made by a "former" NSA employee, so it possibly includes a Spyware.

Ubuntu LTS for servers, desktops and laptops.
Stable and extendable with PPAs, best distro all round, used by governments, companies and schools around the world.
Has checkboxes for proprietary drivers and bits to choose during installation, just about all hardware will RUN out of the box and if it doesn't it can easily be enabled or installed later.
Due to high usage there are plenty of tutorials and howtos.

Trisquel for librebooted laptop, basically Ubuntu without proprietary packages, slow on updates but Free as in Libre.

Attached: ubuntubike.jpg (1200x900, 245K)

debian. because apt, and anything not in the testing/sid repository usually has a deb file which makes everything easy with dependencies. convenience and comfort, I never want to change.

Shilling for openPEPE.

>>Systemd is controversial because it was made by a "former" NSA employee, so it possibly includes a Spyware.
I don't use and don't even like systemd from a purely technical point of view (running Gentoo with the default OpenRC init on all my machines), but to be honest I highly doubt all those conspiracy theories are true. Whether you like it or not, systemd is free software, and the NSA has access to hardware backdoors in CPUs anyway.
Why would they put so much effort into putting a backdoor in a system used by a relatively small number of people when they don't even need it to access said machines?

To me Mint < Manjaro because AUR and the fact that it's a rolling distro. I've always ran into problems when upgrading Mint and I'd constantly have to fiddle with the mirrors because the it would fail to update 9 times out of 10. Then one time I tried to do a fresh install and the installer would just freeze. Downloaded the Manjaro iso and never looked back. Still running Lubuntu since 13.04 on three older machines if you don't mind LXDE that's an awesome distro for Jurassic-era computers.

Antergos because I'm too lazy to install Arch.

Manjaro because it just werks and the AUR

Debian because I know it already.

Would love to get into SUSE, as it's German, but I don't want to spend the effort converting my server and I don't have any other Linux systems at home aside from a NUC that is currently running debian and is fucking unusable until I get it a desktop environment that isn't KDE's abortion.

>Ubuntu is convenient because so much shit is available & optimized for it.
Have they finally introduced a mouse acceleration toggle?

Arch because it's Arch and you can install what YOU want and not what some company installs for you after installing the distro. Convenient and simple, but a bit of tinkering is required.
On my T400 currently using Trisquel because muh freedoms, also a nice distro to me, sleek and good looking.

Guys, how hard would it be to get into NixOS?
As a sysadmin type, this looks like a very appealing system to toy with.
It kinda looks like a distribution that is trying to solve some longstanding issues of the OS.

>Why would they put so much effort into putting a backdoor in a system used by a relatively small number of people
>few people
Most of servers use Linux though.

True, but again, they still have access to hardware backdoors even without systemd.
An addtional software backdoor is just unnecessary.

Arch because it's the best

I really like opensuse. Stable, looks good out of the box, and comes equipped with everything you may need
>inb4 gazzilion packages
I don't care, it works well
>inb4 kde crashes
Maybe some years ago, it doesn't anymore

Linux is just a kernel, it's used in systems like GNU and Android.

Irrelevant?

Void Linux.

It works no matter what and has better security by default without all the downsides that usually come with that.

Also, no systemd and Firefox with ALSA support.

I like Ubuntu MATE because it just works and gives me nostalgia to the time when Ubuntu used GNOME 2.

I use Mint Mate on my home/work laptops because they come with most of what I need out of the box.. just change a few configs here and there and add a couple of programs and I'm good to go, plus it doesn't scare my girlfriend too much if she wants to use my home laptop for something, she's not tech illiterate but doesn't give a fuck about installing linux anywhere, but she is willing to learn a little to use it.

Gentoo

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-07_19-19-46.png (1366x768, 86K)

>Arch
Doesn't break after updating like Void did otherwise I'd still be using Void. Also, Void's main guy is MIA or anhero. Arch is better supported and established as one of the main distros

>Doesn't break after updating like Void did otherwise I'd still be using Void
How is life in a parallel universe?

Linux Mint w/ Cinnamon
come at me

>using ganoo loonix
>2018

Attached: 1528353598701.png (500x387, 114K)

Manjaro w/ Cinnamon
fite me

Manjaro
Matches everything I use Linux for, and comparitively simpler than the distro from which it's derived (that being Arch)

I want to switch out, but nothing I want matches my use case as well as Manjaro. Void, Devuan, and Artix are all in the direction I want to go but a step down for my use cases.

Ubuntu, I swore by Manjaro for the longest time but the AUR made me lazy and I forgot how to build from scratch. Ubuntu also has the least out of the box you have to fix yourself in my experience.

OpenSUSE is good for day to day use. It has great tools that are integrated such as YaST that make system configuration really easy. The package manager, zypper, is fast and pleasant to use. The default KDE implementation patches Firefox to show thumbnails in the file picker. The whole thing just works.

Attached: Screenshot_20180607_161335.png (1366x768, 1.15M)

Im using Ubuntu 18.04 with i3 for my workstation and Debian for my thinkpad.
I originally planned to use debian exclusively but had problems with graphics drivers for my pc (fell for the gaymin meme).

Attached: 1464442752120.png (1080x1080, 1.37M)

Arch xfce is pretty much all I use for daily use. although I tried Budgie and it was OK

Gentoo because its actually nice and enjoyable

Sounds cool, can you compile your own kernel on Slackware? Portage being written in Python2.7 drives me crazy on Gentoo, although they are at least moving to 3.6 soon. I'd prefer a Perl package manager but its hard to maintain Perl software (especially if you didn't write it).

MX Linux.
Its Debian. It uses systemd-shim in place of pure systemd. I don't have to bother with configuring anything because MX is perfect out of the box.

You can build on your kernel on any distro.
docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:kernelbuilding

Alpine because it's tiny, fast, extremely simple to install, easy to get that riced out desktop. Its like arch without the autism

Implying arch is a good distro

I was using ubuntu mate and switched to lxde. I dont feel the need to look back.
I tried arch, manjaro, gentoo, i3 and some other edgy stuff, learned a lot but they are time consuming stuff.
Would use ubuntu with i3 but ootb is 1000 times better than ricing shit.

Once you go Gentoo
there's no can'ting into

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.