What's a good XLR condenser microphone under $100?

What's a good XLR condenser microphone under $100?
I got a BM800 right now but it sounds like shit

Attached: 219578105672.jpg (600x600, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sweetwater.com/insync/studio-microphone-buying-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Maybe your voice is just bad

I'm obviously hoping a nice microphone would compensate for that fact

Maybe your voice is just temporarily bad, and will improve with exercise

i was joking bro, it's genuinely a bad microphone

under $100?
its not really going to sound any different than your BM800

it's not though. pretty much the best you can get for that price

Up your budget and buy a used Rode NT1. Should be able to find it for about $150, and it'll sound leaps and bounds better than the BM800. Try to avoid the Rode NT1A as although it's cheaper, the response isn't as flat.

You can sometimes find good bargains on ebay or similar sites. I picked up an Oktava MK-319 for about 90 USD several years ago which is a great deal.

What audio interface are you using it with?

NW-100

There's your problem. If you're into tinkering, try pick related too.

Attached: Bmeme_220uF_mod.jpg (3456x4608, 1.34M)

Why do you need a condenser? They are only good for spaces with good soundproofing and isolation. Otherwise they pick up everything, even when you don't need them to.

because i don't want to make my phantom psu redundant, but if what say's is true and it's shit anyway then i might as well get a usb mic, what would you recommend

> it sounds like shit
No, it sounds very good.

But that's not how you decide on which mic to buy. First think of what kind of mic you need. Then buy whatever other stuff you need for it.

See? Now you don't even know if you need a condenser or a cardioid. And you bought that phantom power supply before deciding that.

The best thing you can do is stop asking and start doing research. It took me weeks of research before deciding on a mic, interface etc. And even then, I still returned some things I didn't like or need.

This guys got the idea. A condenser mic is very dependent on the environment its being recorded in, even an expensive condenser will sound like it was recorded in a tin can if the room is not treated for reflections. If you can't get your room treated you are better off with something dynamic like an sm57 for now.

The fact that you think "cardioid" is a type of mic means you know absolutely nothing about this. Or, worse, you know a little bit of vocab and don't understand anything beneath it.

Please don't ever post about mics again until you know more. You can apologize now.

SM57 is the gold standard, no idea why these streamers keep buying meme brands when there's few tools as true and tested

i bought a phantom psu because i expected more from a bm800

you are fucking insanely clueless. cardioid is a type, along with dynamic, ribbon, PMZ, etc.

not him, but it's not a type in the same way that a dynamic, pizoelectric and condenser mic e.g. is categorized by the transducer. you don't go around saying supercardioid or hypercardioid either

>cardioid is a type, along with dynamic
At this point I feel like I'm being trolled, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're serious.

"Cardioid" is a pickup pattern. It describes the microphone's sensitivity to sounds from different directions. "Omnidirectional" and "Supercardioid" are other examples of pickup patterns.

"Dynamic" is a type of microphone, along with "condenser" and "ribbon" (plus a few other less common technologies). This describes what method the mic uses to capture sound, ie measuring current from a conductor vibrating in a magnetic field (dynamic) or measuring capacitance between a diaphragm and backplate (condenser).

Here's an article with pictures to explain: sweetwater.com/insync/studio-microphone-buying-guide/

Let me ask you this: if "cardioid" is a type of mic, then would it make sense to ask a salesperson for an "omnidirectional cardioid" mic? No?

Then it's not a type. It's a pickup pattern.

I did mine, but mine sounded pretty good even before the mod.

>that 63V capacitor
You only get about 9V at that point in the circuit. That's way overkill.

Attached: DSC_0090.jpg (3035x2228, 2.13M)

And I'm sorry for being mean to you, user. That was uncalled for.

Now kiss

I meant dynamic, but with a cardioid pattern. You can stop sperging now. Yeah, I'm no sound engineer, I'm just familiar with the basic concepts.

Including impedance, frequency response, transduction and so on.

Heh cool. I was just searching for microphones and wanted to start a thread.
I was looking at Neewer BM-800 because of this 1 guy on youtube which shilled it by comparing to a 3000$ mic.

Now I'm looking at the Snowball Ice budget mic. The other mics which everyone tells me sounds good is the Blue Yeti, but that one is 150$

What is a good microphone that works good by itself? or should I invest into a cheap but good audio hardware to couple it with?

SM57 is a decent, general-purpose mic. But it's not particularly great for voice, I find. It's not very bright/crisp and the lows are also not very pronounced.

I heard a comparison between the SM57 and the Sennheiser E835 S and I really liked how the E835 sounded more. It seems to have better high-frequency presence than the Shure.

But it is possible to make the SM57 sound decent for voice too, with a bit of EQ and a windscreen (like A2WS).

And if you got extra dough, you can add a Triton Audio FetHead and enjoy some extra 27 dBs of clean gain.

But it seems OP is on a tight budget, so that's out of the question.

OP, unfortunately if you want decent voice sound, a decent entry-level mic is about 100 bucks and a decent entry-level interface is about the same.

Anything cheaper sounds cheaper. So, if you buy some 30 bucks USB mic you won't get a better sound than a 100 bucks mic.

>>What is a good microphone that works good by itself?
/csg/ had another mic for like $8 besides the BM-800 in its infographic that works fine unpowered. Particularly for speech and such, not necessarily for recording an orchestra.

But currently I can't call up the infographic pdf.

A better interface will do you better then a better microphone. Also the room around you could make you sound like shit, fix your acoustics.

Just like a better sound card will do me better than a pair of expensive headphones?

he might have mixed up condenser with cardioid

I'll hijack this thread.
I bought one of those cheap Sony lapel condenser microphones, but obviously it needs some external power to not sound like ass. I use it only for video calls at work. Any cheap way of providing external power to it? I've been recommended USB sound cards but I don't want to deal with the pain in the ass that's USB audio in Linux. Something like external USB power and analog audio in the 3.5mm jack would be perfect, does something like that exist?

Attached: huhdog.png (256x253, 117K)

There is no good condense mic under 100! Stay away from Blue at this price range. Decent brand in the higher range tho. Check out audio technica at2020