What's wrong with Arch. I legitimately want to know...

What's wrong with Arch. I legitimately want to know. You guys throw shade at it but never give valid reasons as to why you dislike it.

Attached: arch.png (250x74, 7K)

It's best distro

Attached: screenshot6.jpg (1366x768, 142K)

You bet your ass.
Jow Forums seems to have some sort of issue with it though.

AUR is unsafe.

Don't mind Firefox with Facebook open, I don't actually use either of them

systemd. If it used any other init it would be perfect

What's the problem with systemd though, I use it a lot and it seems alright. Don't give me meme reasons plox

I don't mind SystemD personally, so Arch is perfect.

I don't use it and neither should you, just disregard it.

I don't care what you use as long as you know what you are doing and don't mind botnet.

I said it for my own sake to be honest, this screenshot is old and I moved away from the botnet, so it was mentioning you but was actually directed towards me :D I hate those botnets

my only issue with it is how ridiculously hard it is to set up a wireless connection during installation
can someone help me with that?

The repo is tiny and the AUR is a shitshow.

>open terminal
>type wifi-menu
>connect
It's as easy as that to be honest

Vulnerabilities that may or may not be fixed by now but I can't trust it. Also bloat

Attached: 1520888154301.png (1024x1024, 74K)

I don't.

That's the only issue I have with it though.

what? that isn't how the wiki instructed me to do it at al.
URRGGGG i'm salty now.
be back, i'm going to go try to install Arch to an old laptop I have lying around again

I find everything I need in the repos mostly, and if not, I can find others in AUR, people there are really cool!
Well, it all depends on the taste I guess, I am not hardcore bloat fighter, though I dislike bloat, else I'd go with Gentoo :P

Just shut the fuck up you stupid faggot.

I know they didn't, I saw it in the forums haha. Just don't forget to get widgets package from repos and transfer it to the hard disk because AFTER you install the system, you won't be able to use wifi-menu because of the missing package("widget" I think, maybe "widgets"). If you get it offline, you can just install it after the system installation.

>Arch Linux
Reddit

Attached: 1519016171965.png (1682x2684, 292K)

You seem upset.

>I find everything I need in the repos mostly
I don't
>if not, I can find others in AUR
you can find them, sure, but they're all unmaintained and broken. arch has half of the packages of Gentoo and a sixth of the ones in Fedora.

Attached: 1528299588051.png (650x4377, 871K)

Archfags won't admit it, but it's userbase is complete shit.

i see the same thread every fucking week, its just annoying at this point

Because the wiki is designed to scare you away by bit giving you the right answers and letting you figure it out, teaching you how to manage the rest of Arch

Actually, if you are not a complete brainlet, you won't need any of those books kek. Learning config files is stupid as, if you can't find them at last, you can always look stuff up online because someone already asked the same thing probably.
This

I admit it and I just ignore it.

THEN IGNORE IT TAKE YOUR SHITPOSTING BACK TO
OR
FAGGOT.

The wiki is trash.
Not as bad as the Gentoo wiki though, oh my god.

like in real life, nobody cares about you so when you whine about something not working you should expect most people will give you shit and tell you to figure it out yourself. if you at least make the attempt to find yourself a solution, many will jump in to pull you up.

the arch wiki keeps getting vandalized, and the maintainers never fix it
this isn't a normal problem, but, because arch requires so much supplementary material, and because of the sparse tutorials outside of the arch wiki, its actually a pretty massive flaw with the distro

>needing to do any of that in the first place

I will admit it, I use Arch because I find fun in fiddling with my OS. It's a massive source of fun. You use use your OS as a tool, I use my OS as a toy. You are free to use your OS however you want and so am I.

>I admit it and I just ignore it.
Good man

You misunderstand, I've never asked for help from an Archfag. I just don't like their I've read a wiki so I'm better than you mentality.

> systemd
> claims to be minimal and "give you control over your system" but all it's binaries come with all the dependencies the package devs built in
> claims to "teach you how your computer really works" which translates to "manually writing text configuration files"

I've never had issues and the only people I've seen bitch about the community are the people that can't go google shit themselves. When they're told to check the wiki or w/e they immediately start crying about how arch users are just such assholes. If you need the community to wipe your ass then yeah, arch in't for you.

>the only people I've seen bitch about the community are the people that can't go google shit themselves
Your currently seeing a person bitch about the community for a reason other than not being able to google shit themselves and yet you continue to ignore that fact. Enjoy your false reality.

Gentoo is more fun and less frustrating.

Attached: giphy.gif (400x300, 735K)

t. never tried gentoo

I'd go for it, but I prefer having my packages compiled, I am not flattered with idea of waiting for compilation for every package

only arch has all the packages I need. Gentoo and Fedora doesn't even have opendht which arch even has in community repository.

these

>bitch about the community for a reason other than not being able to google shit

All that was said in that post was that the userbase is complete shit. Did he say why? Ok cool, so the only people I see bitching about the arch user base are people that can't google stuff and people that just say "the userbase sucks" for no particular reason. Is that better?

It's Linux

I connected to wifi through wifi menu and it still is giving me errors what the fuck why is Arch so gay at connecting to the internet.

Post the error user

Bloated

oh, fixed itself somehow, nevermind

iz le top

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-08_00-18-14.jpg (770x524, 125K)

I use Arch, but was thinking about going to Gentoo. Only thing that's making me not do it is that I expect long compilation times, which is quite boring. Am I wrong or Gentoo isn't for me?

It's not debian sid.

Attached: debian-sid.jpg (218x218, 11K)

>that RAM usage

Check out Sabayon. It's basically a binary version of Gentoo.

I left when they started using systemD.
Using Artix now (arch based, with openrc).
That said, its good, but running "pacman -Syu" is like playing russian roulette. Every once in a while it fucks the system hard.
Admittedly it was much worse years back when I ran arch, but it happened once with Artix when they removed "init" instead of symlinking it to openrc-init.

Attached: sheeit.jpg (501x373, 42K)

>AUR is unsafe.
Only if you are too stupid to understand 20 lines of PKGBUILD.

updating have broke my system 5 times since I started using it (like 2 years ago). I could fix every proble and learnt a lot from it, but is a pain in the ass when you lose one entire day of study/work because a stupid update.

OKAY HELP NOW I FINISHED PACSTRAPPING BASE TO /MNT AND IT IS SAYING IT FAILED.
"Invalid argument."

Everything else is the same? Gentoo sounds quite fun except the waiting part. Can you post the full error?

plenty of stuff

Mostly the same. Sabayon is precompiled Gentoo

"error could not open file /mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg/vi-1:070224-3-x86-64.pkg.tar.xz.part: Invalid argument"
"warning: failed to retrieve some files"
"error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files".

I need to go, but maybe you can try again? Maybe someone else here can help, else try looking it up

Read into wpa_supplicant
A basic wpa2 config is literally 2 lines, just the ssid and psk and you can call wpa_supplicant with the -c to the config and -i with the interface
Dont forget to call dhcpcd to get an ip after connecting

I think you didn't uncomment something gotta go

Also -B makes it a backgroundprocess. You could always throw an & after the line aswell

"In English, Doc!"
I am retarded, be patient.

R.I.P.

There is nothing wrong with arch and you shouldn't listen to every idiot who bashes it or worse, judge you for using it. Grow a pair OP and get a brain upgrade with troll detection.

>Decide to update
>Breaks beyond repair or worthwhile

I want something that just works, which is not Arch based on my last few installs of it.

If I want a distro with precompiled packages and systemd, I'm going with something that actually is worthwhile like Debian. If I want minimalism and customizability, I go with Gentoo. Arch is "the middle ground" and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do well enough. There is just no real reason to use Arch.

Hmm, it used to say to do that, I distinctly remember doing that when I installed Arch. Did those bastards remove those instructions? Pretty lame if they did.

Arch gets shade thrown at it because it's users are [perceived to be] smug and elitist. It's popular enough to have some annoying users, even if they are a minority their existence still confirms the biases of others.
Idk, it's maybe just disliked because it's popular. I used Arch for about three years and it was a really pleasant experience.

Anyone who moved from Arch to Parabola (openrc)? I want to know if there are any huge differences, other than it being openrc and not systemd.

Same. Haven't used Arch for a couple years (moved to Gentoo) and if for whatever reason I had to drop Gentoo, I'd go back to Arch, or at least something Arch-based.

I used arch for about 7-8 years but I got tired of being thought of as the "I use Arch, btw" type of person, so I installed Ubuntu and started trying it out. I actually liked Ubuntu quite a bit actually, but now I've found Debian, and I'll never hop ever again. It's like I've finally came home.

Unstable by design.

>I don't use it and neither should you
The amount of provided packages is a joke.

systemd, but I use artix with runit instead so it's all good.

>i hate things that make me do stuff
>god I hate those jet planes, those are really hard to fly - why can't all planes be like those GTA planes ?
>damn I hate those fucking trucks with their complicated dash boards, why the fuck can't it all be just one button I push like on TeslaCarShit
>FUCKING OSCILLOSCOPES, WHY ARE THOSE SO COMPLICATED- WHY CAN"T THERE BE AN OSCILLOSCOPE THAT HAS LIKE ONE BUTTON - I PRESS IT AND IT JUST DESCRIBES ME IN WORDS THE ELECTRICAL CURRENT AND HOW IT BEHAVES> FUCKING CUNTS WHO USE THIS SHIT ARE FUCKING STUPID GOD I HATE THEM
this is you. Arch linux is a tool like any other, if you find it too complicated to use -than just don't. It's as simple as that

Haters gonna hate. There is no perfect distro anyways. Just mind your own Linux and follow your heart.

this. It's not hard. AUR has some really great stuff.

I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD and Ubuntu, and when I Google how to configure certain things I often end up on the Arch wiki, and it's very good quality.

Makes me want to install it and play with it.

every community other than slackware is a shit desu.
t. archfag.

Parabola is fully free, so no proprietary software. You could've just searched for this though.

NixOS community is the best

nothing, I hate it

AUR is the only reason why I use arch

Attached: 1470101013203.jpg (800x527, 24K)

I love arch but theres nothing more frustrating than wanting to do a certain task but all the packages available that do said task have guides written by illiterates and haven't been updated since 2012, missing dependencies, an abundance of errors for wanting to do a simple task that has to be tied in to another package.
Your gonna be spending most of your time on arch fixing broken packages and creating scripts.

This is not your personal IRC. (posts link to irrelevant guide on how to setup arch)
Thread locked.

>user@loonix
>10m uptime
>default i3

Hey man I use arch on all machines, but this VirtualBox larping isn't helping the cause

Literally what is the point of using Arch?

It's a meme distro. Not that it's "Bad" just not practical for actual day to day use.

So much bullshit in one thread.

>the wiki is shit
Bullshit. Arch has the best wiki, even considering gentoo.
>systemd is (insert meme opinion)
No.
>scary, bad AUR
AUR is a feature many people cite for their top reason to use arch. It's unsafe if one is too lazy to read a couple lines. But even then, in most cases, similar to the wiki, someone else probably already did the job for the lazy guy.
>bloat
Autism.
>shit userbase, nazi forum mods, yadda yadda
That's not the fault of the distro and I couldn't care less.
>unstable by design
By design, the unstable elements (testing, AUR) are deactivated. Anything that compromises stability has to be done by the user.

As you can see, there's nothing wrong with it. Unless you attribute "attracting idiocy, memes and saltiness" to the distro, it's top tier.

I always see this exact post, why is this the case? Please spare the "it's annoying to set up" though. That is true, but once you set everything up one weekend then everything does itself. What's so impracticable about it?

Hey man maybe u didn't try running "netctl start (tab complete to find the profile that wifi-menu made)" wifi-menu makes the profile but doesn't always connect to it.

the wiki is unnecessarily verbose and takes 3 paragraphs to get to the point
systemd is trying to be everything when it should just be an init system
prove me wrong redditor

>Anything that compromises stability has to be done by the user.
>just never update lol

I used Arch for about 6 years and I've seen it through it's ups and down but I no longer use it for a few reasons.

First, let me dispel the myth that Arch Linux is only for advanced users who know exactly how linux works on a kernel level or the intricacies of the X server or whatever. It probably isn't a great distro for someone who has never used a command line before, but even then it is feasible for someone to copy in line by line the installation instructions from the wiki with no experience and end up with a fully functional system. This might not hold if you want to install some exotic minimal wm setup or set your system up for a very specific purpose, but these are of equal difficulty on any distro.

Arch Linux runs on the principle that all the software is always brand new all the time, and while this rolling release model may seem pretty cool, and is pretty feasible for a personal machine or certain type of person, in practice it can be a bit of a pain. Using it breeds in the user an unquenchable thirst for higher incremental version numbers in everything possible and you end up running pacman -Syu every time you get the chance. "It breaks all the time" isn't really true, but what is true is "if you don't update often, chances are things will stop working". If you don't update for about a month, especially if your thirst for higher version numbers has made you want to enable all the [*-testing] repos (it will), then chances are you're going to have to pull in about a gigabytes worth of updates that can't be expected to leave you with a nicely working system if you stop it half way through. "Partial updates are not supported" yell everyone everywhere, and this is fine if you can keep up with it, but you better not have a limited amount of data because you will be downloading a LOT of data just keeping your system up to date.

(1/?)

Attached: FlyBitch.jpg (540x540, 230K)

Arch is so adamant about making sure every piece of software on the system is at the maximum version that older versions of packages are simply not available anywhere. This can be an issue if you need a specific version of something, whatever it may be, in your workflow. There are of course ways that you can do it, but arch seems to be engineered in such a way that this be as difficult as possible for you to do, and of course any mention of such activities will have you barred from any all all support (if you can call it support), but I'll get onto that in a bit.

As such, installing arch linux on a machine that you want to "do work" on a daunting prospect. Either you will realise right away that it it can't do what you want without extensive bodging, or you'll experience something close and realise how much effort it could be in the future. While arch breaking everything all of the time is certainly not true, it is true that you can never really trust the future to let you do what you want.

The AUR is touted as arch linux's biggest attraction; a vast, centralised, mostly unmoderated ocean of poorly written (on the whole) and seldom maintained build scripts for every piece of shitware you could possibly imagine. A reliable package on the AUR is the exception, not the rule. Absolutely anyone can upload absolutely anything up there, and unless your package becomes popular it will recieve no scrutiny whatsoever; this makes it not only inherently unreliable that anything there will work, it is also a huge security risk that most arch users, despite loudly and snidely telling everybody "if you dont read all the pkgbuilds then its your fault", don't read the pkgbuilds and leave themselves at risk.

(2/?)

Attached: FragileEgos.jpg (530x488, 86K)

The main issue, however, is the culture of the users. The type of user that Arch linux attracts is a direct result of what it is. It is a basic and simple to use distro that looks like its complicated and difficult. It's got a reputation for being for "advanced users" when really advanced users would use a distro with proper support. It's a distro where you're encouraged to snidely tell anyone who wants help "ugh no spoonfeeding" yet with a wiki that literally spoonfeeds you every command you need to do things with no real explanation of what happens
Therefore the average arch linux user is someone who wants to go around showing everyone how smart they are, but without actually having solved anything themself. They enjoy the idea of everyone thinking they're an advanced user and convincing themself that they are, and be hang around in support channels to be deliberately condescending to everyone else. Hang around in the SJW dominated #archlinux channel on freenode for a while or on the forums for endless examples. This makes the community around the distro particularly annoying and unhelpful.
For all these reasons I don't use arch any more, it simply isn't reliable enough to use for anything serious without a bunch of effort that wouldn't be necessary on another distro. Don't get sucked in and let yourself be enticed by the ability to say "btw i use archlinux", just use the best tool for the job you need to do, if that's arch linux for your purposes then fine. If you're just using linux for the sake of tinkering with it, then you'll get more satisfaction from gentoo. If you're going to use mostly gui applications and a big DE then just go with something like kubuntu or whatever, there isn't really any reason to believe that the sum of you + the personally shitty and opiniated people that put arch together can build a more stable and usable base than those who run debian or redhat or pretty much any other distro.
(3/?)

Attached: BestThingAboutArch.png (460x478, 27K)