Someone helps and answers question on IRC

>someone helps and answers question on IRC
>say "thanks"
>yells at me and tells me not to post pointless messages
I'M SORY

Attached: 1524892746554.jpg (240x193, 49K)

Tell them to go fuck themseleves

>being so petty over your own little fiefdom
>Feeling bad about someone so fucking insignificant they feel they need to set up said fiefdom admonishing you
Both of you are petty faggots

Attached: 1459727319999.gif (500x500, 1.65M)

just say, "Eat my ass, cumlord"

So it seems that IRC is way more friendly than Jow Forums.

> IRC
I hope you meant Discord, grandpa

nice words, faggot

>IRC
>yells at me and tells me not to post pointless messages
welcome to IRC.
also, welcome to Jow Forums.

>Discord
Not in this good free household.

if it's a general channel, then fuck that cunt and you should have said as much

if it's a help focused channel... well, if it's not some stupid active shit like say, the ubuntu or debian IRC channel, they should still go fuck themselves, the only point to a rule like that is to keep an already way-too-high message flow down

ah-bloo-bloo

dumb frog poster

>irc
I hate discord for a multitude of reasons but at least the chats aren't full of aspies

Haha, good one.

I'm not talking about the discords linked on Jow Forums
I mean some of the more normal chats.

Administrators for IRC chats trying to keep a "clean" server are on the same level of retarded power trip as the DarkRP gmod admins.

>someone helps and answers question on IRC
>say "thanks" on private to not spam
>yells at me and tells me not to message people without asking first
truestory

>Discord
>this guys' mic is LOUD
>this guys' mic is quiet
i really hate this pos

turn up your mic as loud as you want, I've never had to turn anyone down to 1% other than someone I know that yells 24/7.

Attached: 1528424764238.jpg (670x670, 43K)

>Discord
What do you expect, going on a botnet for children?

>discord

no discord in this conservative christian household

get a load of this peasant

>they already answered your question

>being polite to them

i will just call them a giganigga and leave before they can ban me

> IRC
> having to be online on the botnet of a sperg running a server 24/7 or you lose all history of the channels
> being spied on by the sperg that runs said server
wew lad

Right click on their names and individually adjust their volume.

IRC is still 100% better than Discord. Why did everyone jump ship to a proprietary untrustworthy platform?

based frogposter

Attached: 1528348741344.png (839x657, 39K)

IRC is not a Discord replacement or even remotely close, why do you faggots keep parroting this endlessly.

Discord is easy to use, has a nice UI, has voice/video chat, file sharing and works on anything.

No IRC client has anything Discord delivers so why would you compare the two? How is IRC better if no one uses it and it has none of the features Discord excels at?

XMPP

XMPP has voice/video, file sharing and works on anything. It's also federated and supports OTR encryption.

>2018
>IRC
I bet every channel is inhabited by raging autists.

>Normie-free zones are somehow bad

Attached: 1516437583951.jpg (225x225, 14K)

>OTR encryption
OMEMO >> OTR

makes sense only aspielords still use irc

Try searching the web before asking. Learn to ask good questions.

>Discord
Enjoy your data mining botnet (pic related)

Attached: reportalldiscordthreads.png (581x522, 176K)

Discord serves an important purpose as a /v/ toddler containment center.

>makes sense only aspielords still use irc
This is the state of Jow Forums in 2018. I bet you own a iBad, too.

Attached: 1460427980359.jpg (900x900, 261K)

>implying youre not a normie
>while posting on a costa rican normie anime board

based autistic eslbro

XMPP is a messaging protocol standard, right? What does that have to do with IRC in any way?
There's quite a few XMPP clients that support things Discord do so why haven't any of them gained popularity?

It's Discord focus on usability and ease of use along with clever marketing that made it popular.

The data collection has been thoroughly debunked multiple times, and it's a null argument because nobody fucking cares about "botnets" or data mining in the slightest, they care about usable software that works. Do you really think data apparently mined from chats will be valuable in any way? Most servers are filled with gamers playing and talking about games, where's the value in selling this data at all?

>so why haven't any of them gained popularity?
XMPP doesn't have epic 420 MLG 720 noscope gamer memes built into the standard specification

Twenty rupees have been deposited on your Discord Hype Squad account

Attached: 20_INR_Obs_LR.png (412x176, 202K)

Can confirm, this is the standard IRC greeting

>The data collection has been thoroughly debunked multiple times
Wasn't the company that made Discord the one that got in trouble for collecting peoples data?

The only good thing about discord is that all the gaymer mirc faggots left irc for it.

>still being part of elitist circlejerks
go make friends OP

you where just confirming it works
xer can go fuck itself

Attached: shrek.png (1019x746, 1.03M)

Are the splash screens really worth complaining about? None of them gained popularity because none of them focused on usability.

They got in trouble for the security of data not the collection, and it was basic stuff like account details, not messages and the like. This was a bug in the software that was patched before they sold Discord to GREE.

No gamer was using IRC who are you kidding? They would have been using TeamSpeak, Skype or Vent.

>No gamer was using IRC
QuakeNet was literally one of the largest Internet Relay Chat networks.

>I don't understand why botnet is bad.
>What is metadata
>I actually enjoy getting cucked by the CIA
Pls go read a couple of web pages or books. Your own ignorance isn't an argument.

>DarkRP
Damn, I'd never have guessed someone would ever mention this cancer on Jow Forums. Literally LARPing in a game, how far can autism go?

>People RP in games
>People start doing it IRL too so we name it LARP
>People start using the word LARP as roleplaying in general
>now we can see the ultimate La Creatura, "LARPing in a game" and the circle is closed

I love mankind sometimes

It's the human centipede of life.

gamers rise up

>dumb frog poster
you deserved it.

Quake was released 20 years ago.
How we consume online media has completely changed in 20 years.

For the last 10 years or so VOIP apps have dominated.

Can you stop memespouting for a second? Botnet does not mean any app that is proprietary you drooling retard.

>What is metadata
It was the device ID which wasn't secured properly.
Is that better?

>I actually enjoy getting cucked by the CIA
First of all I'm not American so it'll be GCHQ not CIA, and if you think using privacy-centric apps with supposedly "uncracked" encryption will help you from CIA you are either very naive or downright retarded. If you wanted to avoid these entities snooping you wouldn't be using the internet. That is the sorry state of the internet and there's nothing you can do about it.

>anything programming related that has "coffee" in the name

Attached: 1518920103635s.jpg (250x241, 7K)

>we

Attached: 1500361643643.png (571x618, 29K)

Human beans ya doofus

If your household is free does that mean I can open it up and look at the operations between your wife and tyrone?

Not every human on Earth "consumes" social media.

Furthermore:
“Consume” refers to what we do with food: we ingest it, after which the food as such no longer exists. By analogy, we employ the same word for other products whose use uses them up. Applying it to durable goods, such as clothing or appliances, is a stretch. Applying it to published works (programs, recordings on a disk or in a file, books on paper or in a file), whose nature is to last indefinitely and which can be run, played or read any number of times, is stretching the word so far that it snaps. Playing a recording, or running a program, does not consume it.

Those who use “consume” in this context will say they don't mean it literally. What, then, does it mean? It means to regard copies of software and other works from a narrow economistic point of view. “Consume” is associated with the economics of material commodities, such as the fuel or electricity that a car uses up. Gasoline is a commodity, and so is electricity. Commodities are fungible: there is nothing special about a drop of gasoline that your car burns today versus another drop that it burned last week.

Why is this perverse usage spreading? Some may feel that the term sounds sophisticated, but rejecting it with cogent reasons can appear even more sophisticated. Some want to generalize about all kinds of media, but the usual English verbs (“read,” “listen to,” “watch”) don't do this. Others may be acting from business interests.

What to use instead? You can use specific verbs such as “read,” “listen to,” “watch” or “look at,” since they help to restrain the tendency to overgeneralize.

Nobody mentioned social media you dumb fuck.

Looking at a Jow Forums thread on your filthy cum-crusted thinkpad is consuming online media. Consume is absolutely fine and appropriate to use in this scenario as I'm talking about online activity in general, you "listen" to podcasts, "watch" videos, "read" articles online, I'm generalising because I'm talking about the internet IN GENERAL you blithering sperglord.

>Consume is absolutely fine and appropriate to use in this scenario
How come Jow Forums still exists after I read it?

because 4 chan is shit. eat shit, shit shit.

Not an argument.
If Jow Forums threads are indeed consumed, they should cease to exist immediately after being "consumed" by merely one person.
However, this thread, for example, still exists.
A mystery.

A fire "consumes" a house.
Your thinkpad "consumes" power.
Your parents are likely "consumed" by guilt from raising such a retard.

>A fire "consumes" a house.
Definitely.
>Your thinkpad "consumes" power.
Debatable. I'd rather say it consumes energy, but power is fine too, in layman's terms.
>Your parents are likely "consumed" by guilt from raising such a retard.
Possibly. That doesn't change the fact that consumption implies transformation of matter. Consumed food is digested.
Reading a book or an online article however generally leaves it intact.

Things that didn't happen, the post.

>consumes energy
Reeeeeeeeeeee
Energy cannot be consumed you brainlet.

Attached: 1421835831076.jpg (1789x2112, 474K)

You're confusing consumption with annihilation.
Consumption is always transformation.

Human consumes food = digestion = transformation.
Fire consumes wood = combustion = transformation.
Devices consumes energy = transformation into radiation

That doesn't change the fact that consumption implies transformation of matter.

No it doesn't you turd. Look at any dictionary ever made and it'll mention multiple ways to consume and no mention of the transformation of matter.

No one that matters uses Discord.

wow mean people at irc
never gonna go there