Mars human landing WHEN

>Mars human landing WHEN
Don't we already have the technology to land a person there? Is it an issue of cost or are we just not advanced enough?

Attached: OSIRIS_Mars_true_color.jpg (2205x2205, 1.22M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zaCPJrx8U0E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is it an issue of cost or are we just not advanced enough?
Both. There are a couple of issues that needs to be solved:
- Radiation protection
- Bringing enough fuel for launching the return
- Staying for a prolonged period of time (food, oxygen)

We could send fuel ahead or into Martian. orbit but the biggest problem is bone and muscle degeneration.

Artificial grivity will be necessary. So we need to build a rotational ship in our orbit to transfer humans to and from Mars like a ferry.

Building a ship is space would be very costly.

>radiation protection
>not putting solar powered magnets in Mars' L1 Lagrange to deflect solar winds for really low cost

what about the rest of the trip

>We could send fuel ahead or into Martian
Risky process, but could work.

>but the biggest problem is bone and muscle degeneration.
Not really, astronauts have been on the ISS for 500+ days. There will always be some degeneration, but heavy regular workout routines slow this down.

>Artificial grivity will be necessary
Artificial gravity is sci fi user. We're not even remotely close to having that.

>So we need to build a rotational ship
No, because Newton's laws of action and reaction. A rotational ship would require massive propulsion keeping it rotating and on a steady course at the same time. It's not feasible.

You're also forgetting the main issue, which is exposure to radiation. There's no van Allen belt to protect the astronauts from radiation out there.

Sending people there would probavly be a one way trip anyway.
I guess they would need ISS tier equipment to prevent bone and muscle loss, food and water will be a problem unless we discover a good way to produce food in a really short circuit recycling system. Like hydroponics on steroids.
But then, staying on Mars would probably need to install a permanent base to prevent people going crazy too fast.

>Sending people there would probavly be a one way trip anyway.
Not any longer. I mean, that's not what NASA is aiming for at least. They want to bring them back.

You can strap your astronauts with springs to a running machine like they do in the ISS already. Gravity isn't the only conservative force, you know

>No, because Newton's laws of action and reaction. A rotational ship would require massive propulsion keeping it rotating and on a steady course at the same time.
You can have 2 sections of equal mass rotating in different directions.

True, but it still requires power though and moving parts and motors and stuff, which complicates space craft design. While it looks neat on film, there really isn't a need for it, since people have been on the IIS for prolonged periods of time and survived just fine with the workout routines they have.

you cant land on a red light retard

Then it's a whole different problem, depending on how long you make them stay on that shitty red rock.

>not using the torque to propel your craft
Anyway using ISS equipment would be probably easier and cheaper.

communists, communists are the reason.
We need to get rid of them before we can explore the stars.

>Then it's a whole different problem, depending on how long you make them stay on that shitty red rock.
I agree. But it's more feasible than making a permanent base there, with constant supply of food, oxygen, water and necessary parts to repair something if it goes wrong.

>They want to bring them back.
There's no need, we could send a couple of hikikomoris. They wouldn't suffer from loneliness and claustrophobia, they'd be on their computer all day long computing stuff. Wouldn't be afraid to go on a suicide mission because they have no desire to live combined with grorious kamikaze genes,

Attached: typical4chanuser.png (500x375, 285K)

>not using the torque to propel your craft
pls explain how would you convert that torque into forward momentum in space, use short words and a drawing if possible

kek

>But it's more feasible than making a permanent base there
You'll have to make a semi permanent base anyways. If Mars and Earth are not properly aligned, the trip could end up using way more fuel, or last way, way longer, so going there means staying there for a few months

It’s literally just the cost. It would literally cost trillions of dollars just to plant a flag there and there’s no actual practical reason for going. Except just to say we did

It costs billions to send a golf cart unmanned one way

Soft landing a human and bringing him back would cost 1000 times more

3d printing, man.
But yeah, food oxygen and water, main problem.

Currently phoneposting so drawing is impossible, but basically, when something spins it gets momentum in perpendicular direction. Have this pic.

Attached: Torque-Conversion-Calculator.jpg (975x1017, 119K)

Well, that I agree with.

yeah but you can strip mine mars all you want and the epa can do fuck all

You are correct. Humans can be in space for quite some time but however when they land they would have trouble moving on the surface.

Space not only weakens you but it also makes your bones more brittle and fucks your spinal fluid. Some recovery is required.

It will would be possible but it will also be a very risky misson if self injury occurs.

I say fuck it and just send synthetic intelligent drones to Mars like the Geth from Mass Effect.

Attached: 1527985237293-g.jpg (2386x4584, 968K)

The problem is that there isn't a reason, nothing to mins and no commercial value. Science wise, we can continue using robots. Elon is just a hack who's just gripping for investment money.

Good point about recovery period and moving around on the surface.

>I say fuck it and just send synthetic intelligent drones to Mars like the Geth from Mass Effect.
I don't see why NASA doesn't send a few self replicating machines to Mars and the Moon so they can start bulldozing shit and prepping a base with 0 human intervention. I think there are papers about outright refining lunar regolith into useful materials so you only have to carry the extremely rare stuff.

>yeah but you can strip mine mars all you want and the epa can do fuck all

If there were pure gold bricks just sitting on the Martian service waiting to be picked up and brought back to earth it would still be too expensive to do so. Right now if you could send a lead bar to the space station and bring it back as gold just by letting it sit there for a week you would lose money. People just don’t understand how much fuel costs combined with aerodynamic soft reentry

We really need to start doing this/planning this. Not the "so so vague yes" theme that's been bated around for years. Earth's population is steady growing larger. There is only so much land available for farming/living on. Sooner or later it'll all be used up or the whole world will be like Japan; so bunched up that the amusement/entertainment stuff will be built on top of skyscrapers and you can reach an arm out a window (if lucky to get one) and hit your neighbor's apt. Not trying to imply anything bad about Japan but that's kinda the truth.

to get off of earth maybe, but nuclear rockets are much easier to use when there's no biosphere or population to preserve.

We just aren't there yet with technology.

We need to get self-adapting manufacturing and assembly lines working here on earth first.

I'm I crazy for thinking we should have a subterranean moon base that holds seed archives and backup servers with surface laser communicattions and solar/nuclear power?

We are less then 20 years from net positive fusion thanks in part to REBCO supermagnets.

Us humans have a lot of organization and smaller advancements to do down here before we reach for the stars.

Attached: 1528398769164-pol.jpg (720x720, 90K)

>We really need to start doing this/planning this.
NASA, ESA, and most government agencies have papers about it, going back decades. There's been people getting paid to throw ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks for a long time.

>Earth's population is steady growing larger
Eh... only in Africa, and the African countries that are improving their HDI and GDP are actually experiencing a decrease in natality, something sociologists observes on every country that starts developing actually.

>There is only so much land available for farming/living on.
Trust me, it would be way, way cheaper to just start building floating cities in the middle of the oceans than move entire nations worth of people to space. Only 3% of the Earth surface is urban areas, and that 3% holds most of the world's population. The rest of it can provide much more food than it is doing right now using techniques that are unprofitable right now, but in a context of an overpopulated Earth? Hell the Netherlands is full on automated farming already.

we've been 20 years from useful nuclear fusion for the last 70 years

>I'm I crazy for thinking we should have a subterranean moon base that holds seed archives and backup servers with surface laser communicattions and solar/nuclear power?
Sounds like a nice little and doable end goal actually.

Heh... yeah, but the MIT had some advancements recently, and a few European institutions too. If Global Warming is real, which most governments seem to think it is, the budget for that stuff will grow significantly. And the Poos and Chinks might be terrible programmers but with 1 in every million being a genius, you have quite some talent and brain being incorporated into top notch research institutions. There are far more scientists nowadays than there were back in the 70s.

Attached: 1491695801862.png (3200x2400, 323K)

This. REBCO allows for higher plasma density. If more funding was pumped into the mit ARC & SPARC we could have fusion in a decade.

>to get off of earth maybe, but nuclear rockets are much easier to use when there's no biosphere or population to preserve.
lol

Everyone's too busy bombing random third world countries on the behalf of the military industrial complex. Actually advancing the human species isn't fucking important, apparently. The United States is a country with an abundance of educated workers, a rich economy, and a not overly great need for military defence spending, due to a large nuclear weapons armament. This *should* be a recipe for expansion into the new frontier, but Americans are just too fucking stupid to realise their country’s potential. The greatest power in the world is run by a hoard of vain partisans who treat politics like a football game. I mean – for fuck’s sake – they’re still stuck up on whether climate change is real. Half of them don’t believe in fucking evolution. How do you convince that cesspit to vote for something that even slightly deviates from the norm? They’re more bothered by whatever inane crap it is that their sensationalist media’s currently pushing. Imagine where we’d be if NASA had kept its space race funding – instead of it being cut the moment its propaganda utility was lost. I hope we someday snap out of this, and actually put our existence to good use. I can’t bear the thought that this is all that humanity is destined to be. This has to just be a rare dark patch in history. It has to be. I don’t care if we get advancements in medicine, or cleaner energy, nothing matters if we don’t get off this god forsaken rock.

do it with your money not my taxes

Everyone who goes will die its just a matter to time. Send people and supplies every 5 years until there is a stable colony.
No one who goes should think of living more then a decade at most. But they get to die on Mars so maybe it will be worth it.

Cost is an illusion.

Let's just pull an Australia and send all our prisoners to mars until they become a sovereign body

youtube.com/watch?v=zaCPJrx8U0E

>don't we have the technology to land a sufficiently large human containing vessel traveling at hypersonic speeds to a safe stop with trace atmosphere?

literally only reason they can put giant SUVs on mars is because they can bounce them at like ~100G inflated balls.

You meant a fake mars landing

Lol holy shit get over yourself

Space doesn't matter, you'll be dead before we colonize other planets you fucking sperg

>this guy

Kek

>Don't we already have the technology to land a person there?
we do
>Is it an issue of cost or are we just not advanced enough?
Money is not an issue, countries spend more on dumb shit like mid-east war, immigration gibs and war on drugs etc.
The bigger issue is that it's a one way ticket currently. I'm not sure if any of the current astronauts is willing to go to Mars, get the achievement then well, die.

When will we colonize The Belt?

Attached: pepemolecule.jpg (800x800, 301K)

ANDY2020.NET, DO SOME TRUTH RESEARCH user

Attached: Andy2016-SearchingMissingTrillions.jpg (960x502, 146K)

Get cancer and you degenerate piece of shit.

this is brilliant

holy shit imagine mars being colonized by antisocial japs with anoholes. this is a future i want to believe in

>Is it an issue of cost
Basically, yes. You need the plan. And better if that plan doesn't involve returning back to Earth. You can spent shitton of money to drop a nigger on Mars but what will he do there?

Nigga what makes you think terraforming Mars is easier than terraforming deserts in Earth? That's so fucking dumb. We are few thouthand years from actually thinking about farming/living on Mars.

You seem to think that nothing matters unless you personally gain from it. Get over yourself.

Thing is that, even if you don't see it, those things do have an almost immediate return. Wars are profitable and can strengthen the position of an hegemonic power, immigration and demographics are something that states have to keep an eye on to guarantee their survival, drug epidemics wreck an otherwise productive tax paying society, etc.

>nigger on Mars but what will he do there?
Steal all the rocks

I thought that the pic was an arm tattoo on microscope

If Ol'Musky can get the BFR working, we will see Mars landings in a decade or two. SpaceX has been making great progress, and even if the BFR is five years late & cost twice as much as current projections, Mars trips would still be viable.

Attached: 105118477-Screen-Shot-2018-04-09-at-9.36.13-AM.530x298.jpg (530x298, 25K)

>or are we just not advanced enough
lizard people are stopping our advancement

Here is a picture of SpaceX's current plan - the first BFR or two would be unmanned, and carry a bunch of solar panels & automated water drilling equipment to make methane & LOX from Martian water & CO2 for the follow up manned trip home.

Attached: BFR-missions-1200x750.png (1200x750, 479K)

Here is a picture of the LOX tank for the BFR, that SpaceX is running testing on.

Attached: IMG_4198-1.jpg (1449x1600, 152K)

Great idea I've already come up with a logo!

Attached: Ultor_Logo.png (256x256, 35K)

We could've been on mars in the 70s or 80s if the money and desire was there.

If the chinese had missiles on mars we'd be there in a week.

A mission to Mars? What could go wrong?

Attached: PrtScr capture_2.png (836x474, 244K)

everything is an issue of cost
without it, we'd already colonized cities on mars.
if you could test and fail constantly without losing money we'd develop "perfection" faster than we currently develop "works decently"

>rotating section on ship for artificial gravity
>Send fuel beforehand and store it in orbit
>Huge fucking magnet on L1 point for artificial gravity.
I mean come on, it is not that hard.

It would be more feasible to cool Venus and make it habitable.

We should colonize the Moon first.

>No, because Newton's laws of action and reaction. A rotational ship would require massive propulsion keeping it rotating and on a steady course at the same time. It's not feasible.
Nigga wat? Once you start it rotating it stays rotating. Use two counter rotating rings to negate any gyroscopic effects.

Venus actually has the most earth-like environment in the solar system. In the upper altitudes pressure and temperature are such that a human would only need breathing gear and acid rain protection to go outside, and the atmosphere is dense enough that breathable air functions as a lifting gas for floating habitats.

Would the mars colonists use earths date or would they star thier own date?

LMAO the absolute state of Jow Forums.
>what is friction
>what are human movments inside the rings

Haven't you heard of this amazing invention called a bearing? Because your ship will be under zero or minuscule (ion drive) acceleration for almost the entire travel time the friction will be very little. As for your other point people have so little mass compared to a large spacecraft that their effect on the angular momentum is almost non-existent.

I never understood why torque vector goes perpendicular
Torque is newton-meters, I just don't comprehend why it would be represented as going in that direction

70% of our own planet's surface is unexplored. It's no more than 5 miles away from the shore.
And you want to go to another planet.
Why?
Is sea-water that scary?

Isn't that just sign convention to represent rotation about an axis (right hand rule shit)?

>go to mars
>nothing to do because it's a fucking wasteland
>they won't let you go back because they spent trillions of dollars on you to get there
>you have to stay and collect rocks and do some boring bullshit
>can't even get out of the space suit

people who will be the first martians will be actual corporate slaves

We have the technology to get there. See all that infrastructure to do so that we have here on Earth? Well, you'd need that on Mars to get back off again. Otherwise it's a one-way trip.

They make rotating counterbalances, they have them ISS to prevent the station from tumbling due to the movement of people in the station, also
>Friction
They make bearings lol