What's Jow Forums's stance on 2-in-1s/convertibles?

What's Jow Forums's stance on 2-in-1s/convertibles?
I came to realize that I don't really have a use for desktops anymore since my desire to game completely died down in the last couple of years so I'm thinking about picking up one of these.

Pic semi-related, what are some good models that won't burn a hole in my pocket but are well built and powerful enough for media playback and some light gaming (mostly indies).

Attached: subseries-hero-yoga-720-13-725x515.png (725x515, 67K)

>don't want a desktop because I don't want to game
>recommend me a 2-in-1 for gaming

Attached: 1524792661204.jpg (372x516, 29K)

>occasional 2d platformer
>equivalent to ""gaming""

I just want to play some FTL, VNs and shit like that, it mostly will be used for documents, browsing and media playback.

I am not a Jow Forums certified representative, but I think 2-in-1's are a very useless gimmick. Does anyone ever use them as tablets? It's awkward to hold, even, since the keyboard goes to the back on most of them.

Laptops are either meant as workstation replacements (15.6" and whatnot, ThinkPad T-series), or modest portable computers (13" and below, ThinkPad X-series).

the answer is any of them then

you could always get one with a detachable keyboard

Folding the keyboard to the back could save you some space on the table while you are using external monitor and keyboard while still wanting to use the laptop display as a second screen.

Two options
Galaxy Book
Samsung notebook 9 pro

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just having all my peripherals on a hub so I can take it with me and walk around the house whenever I feel like it without needing to plug in a fuckton of cables when I'm sitting down at my desk again.

I regularly use my 2-in-1 as a tablet, mostly for media consumption (watching movies and shit), some web browsing, and I also use it as a sort of second monitor when I'm using my desktop, usually to have some sort of document up when I'm working on a project son my desk isn't covered in papers and shit.

Non-neet, school+work here.

2in1 are good only with pen support. They are enough to note and code and occasional indie stuff if you get celeron or m3. Atoms are enough as long as you don't plan to play games on them. Buy them looking at ergonomics and battery, not for specs - you won't see any noticeable difference within the same tier cpus (atoms vs atom, m3 vs m3 etc). Also battery life. Also 10"+ but less than 13". If a tablet convertible, then look for one with well supported keyboard that connects. BT ones are sh8t.

Tl;Dr Ignore neets who want to play games or to bake 3D on laptops.

Seems like I'd be better off just building a low specced small desktop PC and get an Android tablet along with it (for media and such). These little shits are way too expensive, didn't know what I was getting myself into until I did some research.

What I was about to say

Buy the cheapest iPad and a laptop/small PC system

Attached: RE1FU5k.jpg (752x423, 66K)

Yeah, probably what's gonna happen. Now I'm just asking myself if it won't turn out to be a huge mistake to get rid of my gaming system (i5 6600k, 1080, IPS G-Sync monitor) but honestly gaming just bores the fuck out of me and it pains me to see all this shit just go to waste and lose value over the years. Will I regret it Jow Forums?

You seem horribly normie, I'm having hard time following your logic.

Did you want a mobile device because you grew up and need mobility and productivity over games or because you are envious of aesthetics of some youtubers empty desk? If second then just keep your dekstop and clean your desk out of anime figurines.
>i5 6600k
I do 3D on i5 2400 just fine. You seem confused by gorrila marketing on /v/. It's still fine. Don't sell anything, just get any 50$ tablet if you just want to read websites away from your desk. It will last for another decade.

I was legitimately looking at the XPS 13 2in1, but overall i think a dedicated tablet device would be better overall.

That windows ink support would be kind of cool to have though.

Scrap the 2-in-1 idea, I didn't know these things were so insanely expensive.
see
Like I've said, I've got like $2k worth of stuff sitting on my desk which I have hardly been using for the last couple of years/months and the value I'm losing as this shit gets older could be put towards other stuff. Does that make sense?

>I've got like $2k worth of stuff sitting on my desk
Yes.
>I have hardly been using for the last couple of years/months
And you will buy something else that does exactly the same and even better, hope anyone will buy it from you at a reasonable price?

>value I'm losing as this shit gets older
Again. It's not losing any value. People here use ancient dual cores, half of the people in the world of people use 750ti (4 years old?), and I'm fine for heavy tasks with i5 2500 (over 4 years older cpu). Computers aren't cars or whatever normie thing you compare them to. Just keep it and buy the cheapest working tablet if you want something small, because you aren't buying it with a dedicated purpose (work, mobility, etc), it's just a gadget to save on power or to make you feel better.

>tfw x230t is bulky but I still love it

Attached: x230t.jpg (1280x960, 283K)

Also I'm not mean, just trying to help you to not waste money on trinkets. Computers are tools (even if the purpose is to play games). Don't invest more than you need, especially if you don't have anything specific in mind.

I use the tablet mode all the time when at home.
The monitor on the left is my laptop.

Attached: IMG_20180413_230300.jpg (4160x3120, 2.59M)

It does not do exactly the same as my previous setup since it would be way less powerful and also a fraction of the cost. Hoping that people will buy my shit is a whole different story, I'll give you that.
I guess what this thread kinda boils down to is buyer's remorse that I just can't fucking cope with while I desperately try to damage control which according to you is a mistake so thanks for redpilling me on that.

It's all good. Unfortunately the damage has been done (to my wallet) and I can't turn back time.

I have a 2 in 1 that flips over to be a tablet. I have never used it in tablet mode though since I have an iPad Pro.

A large 2in1 with mediocre build quality generally means an unweildy tablet combined with a laptop with a screen that's always shaking.

The best is a small laptop with a good build, thin and light that makes it a comfortable and portable tablet.

Chromebooks are great for this.

Try the new Ryzen ones if you want pocket friendly. HP has one I believe.

Used a SP2 for a bit and it was fine but not great. Moved to a TabPro S and this has been more my style as i'm looking for more so 70% tablet 30% laptop. They fixed this in later surface pros but the TabPro S is actually perfectly usable for work trips and whatnot due to a surprisingly decent trackpad and keyboard. Don't feel like I need a mouse so don't bust that out until I'm at the hotel and skip it on the plane and everywhere else.

That being said I still keep my desktop around for gaymin and for very serious multi-tasking. So this combo has been working really for me.