/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 26092736_p0.png (800x924, 503K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LlnR_woEGrU
ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-ET-1000-electrostatic-N-1000/163078202373?hash=item25f837e405:g:tJEAAOSwruVa6vFe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Electrostatic
kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm
github.com/Azrael3000/headphone-guide
staxheadphones.com
mega.nz/#!SB9AkJLQ!6EoF4yDUuEH1OOLN_0vG42NEhn8nnhLunmLXP8p1Y7E
youtube.com/watch?v=oBGzxPa5hfo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/yaggy-measurements-deconstructing-asr-amirs-hack-job.6442/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for HD800.

Attached: HD800 Master Race.jpg (1024x768, 521K)

I'm gonna buy stax 009s

Starting a collection of quirky vintage headphones worth it?

Paint looks like it's separating from the plastic already on the headband, bottom left

Indo sold them years ago.

no. you will turn into this guy youtube.com/watch?v=LlnR_woEGrU

yes, start with these
ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-ET-1000-electrostatic-N-1000/163078202373?hash=item25f837e405:g:tJEAAOSwruVa6vFe

It's a shame the HD800S ditched the silver colour, they definitely look better in that.

Name one headphone prettier than th900

Attached: 20180509_124959.jpg (3264x2448, 2.22M)

depends on how sincere your interest is. that's the kind of thing that can be cool or lame hipster shit depending more on you than the act itself.

Auteur

you should buy the red and blue versions as well and shitpost your RGB headphones

I didn't know they're available in green.

is there any technical resource I can read to learn how electrostats work and why do they need 6 pin connection?

you look really fat in the reflection

Vintage estats are shit just like every vintage headphone except for maybe the t50v2

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Electrostatic

kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm

Limited edition version, only 100 made. You can also get them in blue, same story.
If I was millionaire I would. I've spent money purely for shitposting reasons before.
I mean I am out of shape but
>convex surface

Attached: 20180528_200645-1.jpg (2640x1894, 1013K)

coconuts

post fingers & wrist to prove you're not fat

none of these "technical"

github.com/Azrael3000/headphone-guide

oh neat, thanks

Nice try you finger/wrist fetishist weirdo pervert. This thread is for HEADPHONES not for you to come jerk off in.

Attached: 1522571855701.jpg (608x342, 27K)

But without the shitty accent. What is it even, Paki?

Also I don't even think there are that many worthwhile vintage cans that are both quirky and still sounding good today.

AKG K280 Parabolic with ear cups containing angled double dynamic drivers and computer calculated reflection surfaces.
AKG K340 with one dynamic driver, one electrostatic tweeter and five passive membranes.
Pioneer SE-505 with double dynamic drivers and separate volume and tone dials for each cup.
Pioneer SE-500 or SE-700 piezo electric headphones.
I already own Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation II from the early '90s that I'd simply keep for personal nostalgia.

I mean, what else is there even? Such a collection would be assembled pretty quickly. I wouldn't just go out buying any vintage headphones I could find.

Attached: dcb642cc587b77d7558471a8d629ddf1.jpg (1500x1404, 1.01M)

Fatass.

I'll get u next time

Oh nice, another one to add to my collection of links

Okay Stax shills. You've worn me down. Where do you buy from in the US? Ebay?

EBay or staxaudio

Does the SRS-3100 ever come back into stock? Everytime I go there it's sold out

you didn't hear it from me, but stax is opening up a direct web store with the help of edifier

staxheadphones.com

details soon..... coming with the official launch of the d50

Is this literally four headphone threads in a day?

I bought a Japanese one off eBay. Just make sure you also get a step down transformer to change 120v to 100v

There's loads of Stax to talk about - requires a lot of threads.

Check hifishark and devbrada.com

I want to lick her feet

Anyone else dismiss electrostats for the sole reason of them requiring a separate amp kinda thing?

It's like a household where every device can just be plugged into the generic wall outlets except for that one weird fucking Japanese vacuum that has a different plug and needs a voltage converter.

Attached: 1527040701541.jpg (367x446, 41K)

No.

Chapter 3 (ESL) and 14 (Headphones). Not that anyone has ever read it.
mega.nz/#!SB9AkJLQ!6EoF4yDUuEH1OOLN_0vG42NEhn8nnhLunmLXP8p1Y7E

Stax Shills have elevated themselves to a cancer that might just beat HD600s shills.

Okay. Your choice.

No shit, sherlock

needing a special driver is by far the biggest drawback of electrostats, it shouldn't be downplayed. their advantage is the incredible sound, but the disadvantage is very real. you can get away with a $100 amp and have great sound with dynamic headphones, but you don't even have that option with electrostats.

other than the fiio e10k, are there any other budget dac/amps?

Attached: 1493694049713.jpg (1088x944, 244K)

There's no reason to buy the e10k

Yeah, you have to buy a $300 amp instead.

That and the lower-end models have the same thinnish and brightish sound signature. It's really not everyone's cup of tea and I'm personally an HD600 kind of guy.

Why can't you but e10k? For under $100 its truly the only decent option

youtube.com/watch?v=oBGzxPa5hfo

Seal them if you want that you moron

why not

A dedicated amp with mobo used as a dac will perform better for cheaper

Why do you shills have such difficulty accepting that not everyone is into STAX? Even if it's sealed it still has a lot of energy in the 1-2kHz range and sounds thin.

You have never heard stax and you don't know how to EQ

the constant stax spam makes me not want to buy stax

ever

This. I haven't seen a single person who has posted proof of owning/having heard stax and not liking it.

Your loss

it had the opposite effect on me, I'm planning my purchase now after having tried some locally

Literally no one cares about you personally not buying stax, someone else will try them and start shilling them.

Getting paranoid, shill?

Feel free to prove it

The /hpg/ shilling is just for fun, demo them and you'll see what we're talking about. You won't be butthurt anymore after you own stax.

Attached: suicat.jpg (265x565, 33K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

what stax owners suffer from, hence the reason why they need to spam in this general everyday

Just demo them you buffoon.

>what stax owners suffer from, hence the reason why they need to spam in this general everyday
Whatever helps you sleep and night and whatever helps you reconcile not owning stax

I might have felt the same way had I not tried electrostats. I'd also be happy to shill for other electrostats but there aren't any other companies offering low end models like stax does, most start at 2 thousand or more.

I'll rec the voce if they're good, probably going to try and get a demo in three months or less.

seething

Attached: argon_anon_0.png (601x508, 205K)

I REALLY want the voce to be good, I hope there's more competition in electrostats because I'd really prefer to have more options. a rising tide raises all ships after all, and I'd love there to be more estat drivers available too.

I tried the L series models and they're simply not for people who prefer a smooth, warmish-neutral sound signatures. There is a reason that the Ethers and LCD2 Classics are far more popular than them, they're more easy going on the ears.

>buying modded Fostex now that T60RP exist and are doing everything you could've ever wished for, including balanced input

Attached: 1525724111945.jpg (324x600, 75K)

this

i tried the stax srs-5100 in store, and cannot see a reason to spend $2500

yet these staxfags keep telling me to try stax

>balanced
meme

pics or it didn't happen

>BUD-BUD-BEYER-DYNAMIC-DING-DING

Attached: Beyond-Boiling-Point.jpg (252x200, 14K)

$1500, but it's not for everybody. if you actually tried them I respect your opinion and I agree that it's not for everybody.

its 2000-2500 in my country

Maybe, point is it's supported out of the box, whereas elsewhere you would've had to buy ZMF or something for 700 bucks to get Fostex planars with balanced connections.

>Maybe
no maybe about it. balanced headphones being an improvement over normal headphones is a physical impossibility. a normal headphone jack is inherently balanced. if the wire doesn't terminate inside an amplifier there cannot be a benefit of a balanced line.

>tell friends about how I'm planning on buying STAX
>they make fun out of me for spending the absurd price of £550 on a pair of earspeakers + energiser

now I know they're retarded normans but it still hurt.

Attached: 1510513993462.png (1024x962, 354K)

>if the wire doesn't terminate inside an amplifier
That's literally what it does though, the current doesn't just disappear at the driver, it tries to continue to the place where there's a lack of electrons.

>Normans
You're just upset that we conquered you frenchies.

no. this is a flat out misunderstanding of what balanced connections improve and what they're to do. a basic headphone jack terminating in a driver is already balanced.

Next time mock them for spending 500 quid on a phone or 1000 quid on a TV.

your friends are right

but the good thing is, you will be only using your stax inside your smelly gaming hovel

so who cares

AMIR IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/yaggy-measurements-deconstructing-asr-amirs-hack-job.6442/

AMIR IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/yaggy-measurements-deconstructing-asr-amirs-hack-job.6442/

But it doesn't terminate in the driver. There's a return. Otherwise no current will flow.

lol marvey

why should people trust you and jude when you both get paid to shill schiit

the fulla 2 is the best budget all in one imo. Ignore the predictable comments I'll get for this. Some autists just cannot stand schiit. I agree that most of their products are overpriced, but the fulla 2 and magni 3 are great.

poor frogposter :(

>french literally invade england in 1066 and win

what did he mean by this?

Both are shady if you ask me. They should send the DAC to a neutral party for measurements, like that Stereophile guy.

My fulla 2 developed scratchiness (loud) within two months. SMSL idea is much better, albeit less powerful.

Mine did too, and I got it fixed. Besides that it's the best cheap all in one imo. It powers 600's and others very, very well.

Good for you, you got lucky. Schiit has refused many others' attempts to get it fixed including mine.

Does this kid really expect me to trust superbestaudiofriends? They literally went on a crusade against the man because he dared to show measurements that weren't favorable for schiit.

well the schiit fulla is literally double the price of the e10k in australia

knowing the issues americans have with schiit, im inclined to avoid them