Are there any modern processors without universal backdoors like Intel ME and AMD PSP?

are there any modern processors without universal backdoors like Intel ME and AMD PSP?

Attached: craig.png (214x281, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/content/TL1BC1/intro.html
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/support-the-talos-ii-a-candidate-for-respects-your-freedom-certification-by-pre-ordering-by-september-15
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/only-a-short-time-left-to-pre-order-the-talos-ii-pre-orders-end-september-15th
libreboot.org/news/talos.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Power v7

Stick with Intel. ME can be removed/neutered, PSP can't.

>3 posts
>no mention of TALOS II
shamefur dispray
raptorcs.com/content/TL1BC1/intro.html

Attached: boardsmall.png (750x500, 198K)

AMD can play PSP games?

Its still beyond me how IBM let that get made. Most likely someone there there is not happy about its existence.

>4000 dollars
yeah, no

Can be gotten much cheaper by buying the RAM, GPU, and storage separate.

still $2000

Filter out vpro on ark.intel.com

There were whispers of being able to "disable" it in the bios on some Asrock boards a few months back. Did anything come of that?
Some people were saying that just disabled your access to it, but other people argued that it shut itself off after initializing the CPU.
If AMD provided a way to disable it in the bios that would be awesome. I saw that some manufacturers were implementing it but I never found any confirmation on what it did.

Power chips, but they're extremely expensive. DoD issued Dell laptops also have the IME switched completely off (not just the HAP bit) but to get one you'd have to steal the closely guarded property of one of the most powerful nations on Earth.

You could also use me_cleaner on most Intel based machines for similar results.

IBM doesn't care. Once they sell the Power 9 chips it's not like they can do shit about what another company does with them. Raptor Engineering would just buy them for a little more from a reseller if IBM stopped supplying them, but IBM won't because IBM loves money.

You can't shut it off. It'll always run. The best you can do with the PSP is limit the access to the OS, but in reality you're probably just limiting that specific interface. It'll still have DMA and control of the CPU, and possibly other things.

its just not raptor getting the chips, its the knoledge of how to roll your own bios and northbridge to suit the new power chips

newer supercomputers are running the new power - i bet it was on of those researchers who helped build talos.

I could justify buy one if I can run x86 VMs on it.
Can or not?

yes with QEMU+KVM

How its the performance?
Does QEMU emulate or translate x86?

If this is completely "owner-controllable", then how is this not FSF endorsed? Is there a proprietary BIOS on the board?

Attached: 1495078585671.png (512x415, 349K)

Because is in process of evaluation user.

Well that sounds exciting. It would be great to finally have an option for a brand new device with RYF certification rather than refurbished stuff (as fine as it is).

It uses OpenBMC.
As for FSF, they made a bunch of blog posts a while back shilling for it and implying that it could end up getting the RYF cert, but since then there's been no word on whether they've denied it or it's still pending or whatever. For all I know they haven't even bought one yet.
I'll probably email them tomorrow for clarification or something.

Seems odd they wouldn't jump on the opportunity to get it certified sooner. It would definitely be in their best interest to finally have something brand new to endorse to further their cause. The fact that it's only been computers from last decade has to turn some people off from trying a 100% free system.

Got your solution right here

Alternatively, run make your own custom processor IP for critical applications and run it in an FPGA like that guy from DEF CON 25. Only way to be sure

Attached: hifive-unleashed-board-angle_jpg_project-tile_1.jpg (770x400, 46K)

oh and in addition to the blog posts here,
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/support-the-talos-ii-a-candidate-for-respects-your-freedom-certification-by-pre-ordering-by-september-15
fsf.org/blogs/licensing/only-a-short-time-left-to-pre-order-the-talos-ii-pre-orders-end-september-15th
the libreboot tranny posted this:
libreboot.org/news/talos.html

Keep in mind that all of this was from a while ago while the original line of TALOS products was in the preorder phase. They're now all just generally available except for the very recent new Lite model that I linked at the top of the thread.

Attached: Leahpost.png (1077x798, 272K)

QUADS OwO WHATS THIS??

Also I agree. What's taking them so long?
I'm getting tired, and will probably just email them tomorrow. Unless one of you fags wanna do it now.

2 quads in a row

nice work Jow Forums

Yes. Current AMD CPUs all contain an integrated PSP.

QEMU runs just about any architecture on any other architecture. It's what's used in those PC emulators for phones, running x86 code on the phone's ARM CPU.

It does this by translating blocks of code into the target architecture code on the fly as it enters them, and caching them.

KVM is strictly x86 on x86 using VT-x or AMD-V virtualization technology. It would not be used in this. QEMU alone is quite slow, but still faster than Bochs which interprets each instruction. QEMU using KVM only does its translation thing on pieces of code that cannot be run in VT-x/AMD-V. This makes most operating systems and programs run at practically native performance.

Ah, I never looked into why Leah stopped selling D16s despite putting so much money into porting Libreboot to it. Makes more sense now. That being said, I don't think it's bad still having them as an option. We're talking about a market that's already quite small, and some people might like having one of the only librebooted desktop boards that one can actually find.

>modern
>not backdoored
pentium 3 is as new as you can get

FYI the performance is garbage but it runs things.