/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1528493751039.jpg (695x697, 471K)

Other urls found in this thread:

saveyourinternet.eu
ccm.net/faq/14922
superuser.com/questions/302396/how-to-set-current-time-on-linux
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#UTC_in_Windows
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rm rf /*

Attached: GNU plus Linux.webm (450x360, 2.89M)

Attached: wbvwpkaofb5x.png (1024x750, 43K)

Manjaro xfce vs Manjaro Deepin.
Go. Tell me which is better. No Chinese bot memes. I wanna know the answer but the time I wake up.

First for budgie.

Threadly reminder to stop picking your distro SOLELY based on what's popular on distrowatch.

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (500x750, 92K)

what is gentoo linux all about?

Attached: gentoo.png (80x15, 4K)

Memes, neckbeards and 30 year old boomers.

>Install ubuntu
>screen tearing out the ass
>my 2nd monitor looks like shit

Why

it depends on personal preference, so the best way is probably to just try out both.

I actually meant what makes Gentoo unique, what are the technical specialites of this distro?

Either your graphics card is cutting edge or it a pos.

Most likely the second, but it works fine on W7, and it seems like having problems with nvidia cards in Linux is something usual.

Gentoo prides itself on having USE flags and they pride themselves on having Portage, their Python written package manager with automatic dependency resolution and they have PROFILES you can select with their special tool "eselect" which is pretty much unique to Gentoo.

Compiling programs from source. Compiling only the parts you need because "muh minimalism" and "muh bloat" (pretty pointless in the current day and age). Legends tell that you can sometimes get a slight performance boost if you use processor specific CFLAGS. Can also serve as a systemd-refugee distro, but Slackware is better in that regard because it keeps even closer with Unix philosophy.

What's a good replacement for foobar2000?

I need something that let's me sort my library by folder structure. I installed DeadBeef but shit ain't working with my symlinks even if I have the 'follow symlinks' box checked.

Can you set a separate wallpaper for each display yet?

No

Attached: PRAISE ME.jpg (1920x1080, 246K)

>Unix philosophy
A shit.

mpd

>./configure --help
so fucking hard

Your tiny brian hosting a sick mind is unable to fathom the consequences of breaking the Unix philosophy. Alas, they've already been broken in many distros but the concept is still alive. Until the time you are able to see the error in your ways, we consider you our enemy even though you are the very same people we are trying to save.

Does anyone have experience with illiterate parents/grandparents on Linux? I think about installing Mint for my mother. Just seems like less hassle than pirating Windows 10. She just browses the web.

Why would browsing the web on Linux be problematic for your folks?

Does linux have a browser module?

A what?

Can you please fuck off? Nobody likes you and your kind.

Just install ChaletOS and tell them it's a new version of Windows.

I've installed xubuntu for my parents and grandparents.

Figured as much, but maybe some people have stories of their parents/grandparents not liking it or whatever
(you)

Install GuixSD

Attached: 1528546778931.png (602x500, 25K)

Thanks, but I don't eat dirt from my feet.

my sd card has 28gb total and 14gb of free space, but my files have fucking disappeared. I checked with dolphin using kde connect and i cant find them also, but my android device says half of that fucking storage is full, so the files must be still there. any suggestions on what i could try to get em back?

see

I'm not gonna associate myself with a pedo.

see

>The Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) is an advanced distribution of the GNU operating system developed by the GNU Project—which respects the freedom of computer users.
GNU is just a userspace.

see

Trying to remap capslock to enter. Setxkbmap seems to only work with preset remappings that don't include that one, so I guess I need to go all-out and create a custom keyboard layout?

Still looking for a music player that has VST support or good integrated effects.
Especially looking for Playback Speed adjustments.
Quodlibet has it, but when you increase the playback speed it has trouble starting the next song.
I really don't want to keep having to run foobar through wine

If you were a programmer of more than a couple years you'd see the importance of it.

>The Linux Programming Interface - Michael Kerrisk
> Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment - Stevens, Rago
> The UNIX Programming Environment - Kernighan, Pike
in which order should I read these books as someone who's beginning to learn programming and wants to learn gnu/linux?

99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs in the code

Take one down, patch it around

127 little bugs in the code

Attached: littlebugs.jpg (639x320, 25K)

gnu's not unix

I've only read the first because I needed to write a driver. It describes how the kernel is built and what services it provides to drivers or the callers of drivers. It is very good, and you'll find skimming it to get a broad overview of the kernel interesting, but the entire topic is quite beyond the scope of "beginning to learn programming".

I don't know 2 but The Unix Programming Environment by Pike and Kernighan will teach you C and the workings of Unix and Unix like OSes.

Check with root rights on your Android. Or take the SD card out and use it with root rights on your PC.

If that doesn't work, dd and then fsck.

saveyourinternet.eu

What are some good emoji-font libraries for Linux?
The one I'm using doesn't have any colour.

>site requires nonfree javascript to put text on the screen
nice try nsa

noto color emoji

Hello guys, I'm the user with tearing doubts from I've been trying and checking on things and I think I reached a conclusion:

Seems like is compton the one giving me the tearing. The thing is that I'm using i3 + polybar for my setup and the only way to get some things is using compton for transparency. On the other hand, the TearFree option from xf86-video-amdgpu (r9 390 here) comes with "Auto" by default, which means it will give vsync to rotated screens only.
So when I put together both vsync methods, I fuck up the rotated screen and the landscape one comes perfect.

Someone had this issue or could help me to know if I'm wrong at some point? I think next thing I'm trying is to created a xorg.conf file to force TearFree on everything.

compositing is a funny meme

using either the radeon or amdgpu driver i get pretty much no tearing with compositing disabled + it's a lot smoother and more responsive that way

i always disabled it in windows too when it still let you do that

thanks for replying. I guess the right route then is to read the 3rd then the 1st when I have some more experience

In windows? From Radeon panel?

Gentoo is designed to be simple, light weight, and highly configurable. The idea is that the user should have as much control as possible of how the system works, and that the system should be as well optimized for the machine its running on as possible. Its unusually hands-on installation process, its source based package manager, and its (optional) use of OpenRC, a project that aims to add modern features to the classic SysVinit system, all serve these goals, and these are the primary ways that it stands out from other distros.

it's a system setting: ccm.net/faq/14922

it was removed in windows 8 along with the classic theme

Fuck off Lennart

I enabled composition, using a nvidia card, and I still notice tearing, not that much but it's still present.

I'm about to rip this fucking card out of my rig and use my ancient ATI 5670.

I have a question, guys...
If I buy those 2 in 1 laptops that you detach the screen and it turns into a tablet, will I be able to use the touchscreen on GNU/Linux?

Depends if the wacom driver supports your monitor, but I guess it will.

Just installed Ubuntu and

mpv
VCS
gmusicbrowser
LibreOffice
Transmission

And I'm pretty much set.

Do you guys have a suggestion for a good PDF viewer or should I go with the default one? Same question for the terminal.

Yeah, but usually they are trash hardware-wise and overprized. I bought one too thinking I'd use the tablet for reading and used it like twice to jerk off in the bathroom
Well, as your other choices are pretty pajeet-tier (except mpv) you can use the default terminal and pdf viewer without a problem

If you are a developer or some other type of heavy terminal user you might want to get terminator for easier 2x2/3x3 etc

>I bought one too thinking I'd use the tablet for reading and used it like twice to jerk off in the bathroom
KEK
I want it for the small size tho.

>pajeet-tier

As for LibreOffice and Transmission I just wanted something that worked, since I won't be using them much.

What's wrong with gmusicbrowser and VCS?

Not even mad, I genuinely want to learn.

Getting my feet into web dev, nothing serious yet.

What is VCS?

Fucking typo, Visual Studio Code.

Patrician choice.

don't moeize the gnu

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question; but is there any other DE that handles multi desktop dynamically like gnome?

Attached: nJ5B846H04W10.jpg (972x952, 548K)

Almost every tiling WM. At a fraction of the resource usage too.

hi /fglt/. since i have booted windows on my computer, my clock on gnu+linux is messed up. how to restore the time?

Solid keks

Reminder that ganoo/linnicks still has no proper hardware acceleration in browsers.

You're using Linux.
IF you can't figure this simple problem, maybe you should just go back to your gaming OS.

ok. sorry for bothering you.

superuser.com/questions/302396/how-to-set-current-time-on-linux
date should be distribution-agnostic. If you take some time and setup NTPD though, you won't have to worry about desynchronization ever again.

The thread is not so friendly today.

What side of the bed did you wake up on?
Threadly reminder that this is a FRIENDLY linux thread.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#UTC_in_Windows

There are two approaches to keeping the time on a computer. You can either set the hardware clock to local time, or you can set your hardware clock to UTC and set your operating system to offset the time according to your set timezone. Often your operating system will check its clock against an online "time server" in order to correct for drift that may occur in your hardware clock, and at shutdown your operating system will update your hardware clock if the two don't agree. Because of this update to the hardware clock that happens at shutdown, different operating systems will mess with each other's clocks if they have different opinions about whether the hardware clock should be set to UTC or local time.

Should I ditch Ubuntu for Manjaro ? Are there any benefits using a rolling release distro ?

Yes.
No.

Maybe

how does this affect the user's browser experience?

What's the best way to review the packages I have installed? I'm using Debian, and I have ~1200 packages right now, most of which I don't understand and doubt I need. I would like to trim it down and learn about it, but dpkg -l | less is really tedious.

Try synaptic. A graphical package manager for Debian.

$ apt-mark showmanual
this only shows explicitly installed packages, i.e. non-dependencies

OK, this is going to reveal how dumb I am but what is the difference between pavucontrol and alsa-utils beyond GTK/ncurses? Can I safely get rid of pavucontrol if I prefer to use alsa-utils?

It's been a long time since I used pulseaudio, but I think that pavucontrol is a pulseaudio tool. Alsamixer is not a pulseaudio tool. Having looked up some screenshots, it looks like pavucontrol allows you to control the volume of individual programs, which is a feature of pulseaudio and something that alsamixer can't do.

pavucontrol controls pulseaudio, a sound server that you run on top of ALSA to get fancy features like sound over network

I see, so pulseaudio is like an "extension" for ALSA? I don't really care about sound over network or controlling the sound of individual programs (I only listen to one at a time anyway). If I remove pulseaudio, will alsa still work? I'm on debian buster and not using a DE. Sound stuff like this always gives me a headache.

GNU was always moe

Attached: 1507485248197.png (1339x951, 1.28M)

if sound works for you why bother messing with your setup? ALSA works fine but it is actually quite barebones

>if sound works for you why bother messing with your setup?
Because I want to understand it better, I am just curious about it.

Nice pic OP.

also keep in mind some things like firefox depend on pulseaudio, although you could work around this by using apulse but really, if pulseaudio works for you I don't see why you would want to mess with it

So what's the payoff of learning Vim?

More pussy than you can imagine.