US overtakes China with world's fastest supercomputer

>US overtakes China with world's fastest supercomputer
>It features a hybrid architecture containing multiple IBM Power9 CPUs and NVIDIA Volta GPUs
THE END OF X86 IS NEAR
THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF SHINTEL/POOMD

Attached: summit-supercomputer.jpg (3200x1800, 846K)

Other urls found in this thread:

top500.org/news/summit-up-and-running-at-oak-ridge-claims-first-exascale-application/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do you type like that?
Are you a child?
Are you retarded?

Attached: ASdLxTi.png (1080x1124, 1.15M)

>power9
>slower than epyc
>slower than even xeon

>super computers are just a bunch of regular computers
what the fug

>Using Nvidia GPU to make real work and had Nvlink CPU to GPU.

Well it makes some sense. x86 processors carry a lot of baggage that makes them burn power, most notably the instruction decoder. Which is a problem considering that these supercomputers require a enough energy to power a small city. I know that Arm is trying to get their hand in the HPC game as well. However, the market share for supercomputers is pretty small so it won't make much of a difference to their bottom line. What will really make a difference is if people stop building their servers and workstations with x86 chips.

>Intel: You need CPU for HPC.
>Nvidia: Most powerful supercomputers get 95% flops from Nvidia GPU.

i was dissapointed when i found out that supercomputers are no longer like, entirely custom specially designed machines, but rather are basically just a thousand desktops hooked together.

This is old news. They're basically compute clusters but with faster networking and fancy software.

>>Intel: You need CPU for HPC.
>>Nvidia: Most powerful supercomputers get 95% flops from Nvidia GPU.
You forgot to mention that the 5% that isn't coming from GPUs is being used to tell the GPUs what to do.

Daily reminder that one of the most powerful supercomputers was just a bunch of ps3s and you are fucking stupid for thinking supercomputers are one piece of hardware. It's not 1955, retard.

top500.org/news/summit-up-and-running-at-oak-ridge-claims-first-exascale-application/
Holy fuck, this thing will do 3.3 exaflops during machine learning tasks thanks to nvidia's tensor cores. For reference, the previous world's fastest machine could only do 93 petaflos.

you're fucking stupid, not me. supercomputers aren't something people should know about, and the average person should be optimistic about the halcyon of a technological civilization. a super computer designed from the ground up as a super computer would be superior to the nigger rigged clusters we have, and conceding these two points, the average person ought to assume that supercomputers are awesome rather than disappointing. your fetish for minutiae is probably more bad for you than it is good, and for not considering this issue in greater nuance, you prove that it is you, not i, who is fucking stupid.

>posts a fugly upscaled png like a sub-80 IQ normie

>people should
>person should be
>computer would be
>person ought to
no one cares about your opinion. go play with your gundam figurines you fat NEET pig

What kind of hash rate would this thing get mining ethereum?

Please don't pretend to understand why they went w/ Power9 vs x86 the biggest reason is because Power9 packages things like Nvlink on the die of their processors to faster reach and feed the GPUs.
Pretty much what they are
Simple calculations that can be highly parallelized like in hurricane simulators are best suited for GPUs. Other tasks for CPUs. Depends on what you're trying to achieve.
Correct.. Faster networking hilariously can be purchased for a desktop computer if you really need it. It all plugs into PCI-E.
> mfw 40gbps nic for under $100
Meh', I know the many revisions and changes found in super computers but it really isn't that all exciting when you discover its tech from the 70s/80s still because they perfected it back then. Furthermore the big reason you dont have access to it is because they want to be niggers and charge enterprise customers 100x markup.

>Please don't pretend to understand why they went w/ Power9 vs x86 the biggest reason is because Power9 packages things like Nvlink on the die of their processors to faster reach and feed the GPUs.
Finally someone with some sense in this thread, interconnects are the limiting factor in supercomputers these days

It was interesting but not one of the most powerful. Not even remotely close. Also context is important.

Yeah lmao can this thing even run BATTLEFIELD ONE??

people do care about my opinion, first of all, and second of all, i am not a fat neet pig. i think that it is more likely that it is you who is the poor , bad, and foolish person. yes, things should be. yes, persons ought to. yes, it would be. and you need to be less bitter and hostile about things, you come off as having real mental issues.

Sadly this is what many CPU, GPU, and networking companies nigger at the consumer level... The biggest being RDMA which allows one computer to directly access the memory of another w/o intervention of the CPU. RDMA has been around forever but companies like Nvidia and even AMD ensure to nigger the feature so consumers don't have access to it and the ability to scale their compute. Honestly, if you're crafty enough and know what to buy, you can rig your own up on the cheap from hand me down enterprise hardware that gets cleared out pretty often to make room for the 'cutting edge'. However, many don't need such compute at the consumer level making it pointless. But yep, it's all about the interconnects as you say. Attached is pic of the interconnects branching off Power9 ..

Attached: interconnect.jpg (500x311, 20K)

Someone's triggered

I think POWER has a bright future, Google seems to be leaning towards using it in future datacenters. CAPI + Tensor processing units?

Power9 has a future in data centers and HPC because it has been uniquely designed for it. Enterprise customers set targets and sit on board meetings to influence the direction of these architectures. If you've been around for long enough you've seen this change wildly over various time periods. Microsoft has a pretty exotic architecture running azure.

It was ranked 33 largest in the world and could do 500tflops for a very low hardware investment. Tell me how ranking top 50 is not one of the most powerful.

Shut up, retard

Attached: 3a89597ed7a0d909022f58c7fc0b2d966ad68522fbe677ca5932d86f978560cd.jpg (881x960, 101K)

The video of the explosion is pretty sick

Attached: 1dfa9a09e514c54aea9a8e4c6910ed0955371ace930e13bce3db108adc9fd2e0.jpg (1846x818, 112K)

what the hell is the point of these super computers? they seem like a waste of money

running molecular interactions to research drugs mostly
fucktons of money saved on drug research makes them more than worth the price

Consumer and business hardware will continue being x86 based for the foreseeable future. ARM is the only architecture with even a passing chance at overtaking it, software isn't going to be ported overnight.

why did they build it at oak ridge then? they don't do much medical research

from the Jew York Times:
>Supercomputers now perform tasks that include simulating nuclear tests, predicting climate trends, finding oil deposits and cracking encryption codes. Scientists say that further gains and fresh discoveries in fields like medicine, new materials and energy technology will rely on the approach that Summit embodies.
>“These are big data and artificial intelligence machines,” said John E. Kelly, who oversees IBM Research, which helped build Summit. “That’s where the future lies.”

>m-muh Power9
>m-muh RISC-V

>simulating nuclear tests

Attached: north-koreas-leader-has-executed-15-senior-officials-this-year-as-punishment-for-challenging-his-aut (739x554, 26K)

>m-muh RISC-V
What's wing with this one?
With more people were using them.

This, basically, and IBM living in the supercomputing space and nowhere else is not exactly news this decade