The fastest computer in the world is operated by Red Hat Enterprise Linux

The fastest computer in the world is operated by Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Windows is only for gaming and Photoshop.

Worlds most complicated calculations are done by scientists using Linux!
It's for real work and it's 100% stable.

Windows is just a bloated buggy botnet.

Attached: 134858-165493-165492_rc.jpg (832x468, 97K)

Yes

All the software is written for bare metal. Linux is the OS you use when you really don't want an OS.

Yes, all the calculations are done by C programs.
But the OS is Linux(also a C program)

Only because there's no reason to write basic file management functions when Linux already has them available for free.
High performance software doesn't use the OS APIs. You can do this when you spend millions on development.
Desktop software isn't written this way. It really needs a good OS, thus Windows.

>The fastest computer in the world is operated by Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
That means the fastest, most powerful computer in the world is using systemd. OpenRC and SysV BTFO

>good OS
>Windows.
So, why don't most supercomputers run Windows?

*GNU/Linux

That's if it's on the latest version of RHEL and not custom made.

Because it's not a good os for a supercomputer, the same reason microwaves dont run on XP, and your dildo doesn't run server 2012.

Fucking retard trying to be clever.

It's not as if I install RHEL, my PC suddenly turn into an SC.

>So, why don't most supercomputers run Windows?
>Why is this operating system, written mostly for business/normalfag use cases, not used to run supercomputers?
It's a mystery to everyone.

yes and? this is common fucking knowledge

OP reads like a trump tweet

So, why are you so stupid?

Windows is for casual use, supercomputers need just a barebones operating system with only necessary things
It's not even about the os really, you could do the same thing with windows if microsoft weren't cunts and let you remove 99% of the things you don't need in supercomputers

>the whole point of the os is to get in the way of the user as little as possible and to allow easy use of programs
>instead of linux, a relatively light and barebones operating system that works, people opt for windows, a monolith of useless and slow code.
really makes my neurons fire

And you're a faggot

But anons tell me nvidia doesn't work with linux and only amd has drivers.
How can a super computer loaded with nvidia gpus run linux?

Linnicks still doesn't have proper hardware acceleration :^)

Linux doesn't allow for easy use of programs whatsoever though
Not only are the programs more barebomes and inferior to their windows counterpart, updating and installing anything in linux is a nightmare and not worth the payoff for a casual user, which is why it should be reserved for niche uses

Because the license would cost too much. That's really the only reason.
All idiots.

Are you mentally challenged or what

>Windows is for casual use, supercomputers need just a barebones operating system
Yeah bullshit I work in FinTech heaps of banks are moving their critical transaction workloads from IBM mainframes to x86 Windows Servers.

Actually the fastest one is operated by RaiseOS, a custom Linux distro

Attached: sunway.jpg (634x421, 60K)

>updating
sudo yum update
>installing
sudo yum install [thing]

wow that was hard!!

You can just pirate windows online, grandpa

Banks also don't use supercomputers you retard

He said windows is for casual use which is just plain wrong.

>packages don't work like they should
>hundreds of random package manager errors
>packages not compatible with other packages
>can't do anything useful without bloating to windows levels
Wew, lad

Windows is for casual use, windows server is not
Also not useful in supercomputers, which is what we are talking about

>Windows is for casual use, windows server is not
>Also not useful in supercomputers, which is what we are talking about
Windows Server is Windows you stupid faggot

>shit that never happened
Wew, lad

This must be the world's strongest bait

>all this denial
At least wincuck users can admit that their os has faults, but this is just sad
Yeah and ubuntu is the same as gentoo because they're both linux distros right ?

>Yeah and ubuntu is the same as gentoo because they're both linux distros right ?
There is *far* more similarities between Windows and Windows Server than there is between different distributions of GNU/Linux. Beyond sharing the same kernel, the userland utilities are practically identical. The differences are the services installed on the system, and the UI is slightly different.

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

>Windows = Windows Server
>Drop of Water = Ocean
Please stop

>Please stop
Oh wow you sure showed me.

Yes, there are similarities but the general purpose is still different you moron
Both a ferrari and a garbage truck are vehicles, but you're not gonna carry tons of trash around with a ferrari

Many flagship apps are written in C++. Fortran is also used.

Boy you gotta keep up. Summit is now the fastest. US number 1.

HPCfag here. My buddy was at the announcement on Friday at ORNL. AMA.

> (You) #
>Yes, there are similarities but the general purpose is still different you moron
>Both a ferrari and a garbage truck are vehicles, but you're not gonna carry tons of trash around with a ferrari
Jesus you're getting dumber by the minute!

It's like saying Ubuntu and Ubuntu server with a GUI installed different because their purposes are different.

I'll tell you what Windows Server is: It's Microsoft actively raping your wallet by artificially locking certain functionality behind a paywall. On Linux, there are indeed server installs and desktop installs, but there's nothing stopping you from running server daemons on an Ubuntu desktop system, or installing X11 and a GUI on a RHEL server. There is no actual technological reason for why you shouldn't be able to use regular Windows as a server system. Microsoft is just intentionally preventing that from happening so they can make some extra shekels.
>At least wincuck users can admit that their os has faults, but this is just sad
oh believe me, Linux definitely has faults, such as not being a Microkernel OS or some components like Btrfs STILL not having stable parity RAID, but it is still far superior to Microsoft's shite

If they weren't different they wouldnt release them separately

Attached: retardedcowboy.jpg (713x713, 85K)

How the fuck is it "denial"? Yes, Linux certainly has its faults, but you're literally just making shit up. This post honestly sounds like it's written from the perspective that's only heard of Linux tangentially and decided they hated it. Like, "huh, I've heard there's this thing called a package manager before, I bet it sucks".

>I'll tell you what Windows Server is: It's Microsoft actively raping your wallet by artificially locking certain functionality behind a paywall.

I'm the windows = windows server guy above, and I agree with this. You're effectively paying for extra services to be enabled. You're also forcing yourself into CALs which is a fucking retarded licencing scheme unless you're in an institution big enough to get custom licence agreements with Microsoft...

In terms of core OS, it's all identical.... Windows NT kernel, NTOS, Win32... It's all the same.

Meant this for this:

Really? I guess most sites haven't updated their list yet, either that or you're bullshitting.
I can definitely appreciate the fact that it's using IBM's own based POWER9 CPUs

>If they weren't different they wouldnt release them separately

Substance over form.

>you're literally just making shit up
Lmao, try installing anything other than firefox on ubuntu you retard

Can you please stop pretending like you've ever actually touched a package manager in your life? Your posts really do reek of someone that has no clue what they're talking about, but is trying to sound informed by throwing out random terms.

This speed was just announced on Friday with a theoretical max of 200PF. Once the new Top500 list comes out later this month at ISC, it will be at the top, barring any surprises from China.

I agree it's nice to see more competition at the top. I fucking hate Intel.

Okay, I can elaborate if you wish
>want to get into linux
>g suggest mint or manjaro
>whatever try both
>can't change wallpaper for whatever reason
>search for help
>turns out the default image viewing program can't set wallpapers
>what the fuck
>need to install a separate program
>downloads all the packages and starts installing
>halfway through get a package manager error
>jesus christ
>search for help, apparently need to update the package manager
>yeah okay
>download the update, starts installing
>halway through get the same error
>mfw you need to update the package manager to get rid of the error that prevents you from updating the package manager

Attached: 1516417387098.jpg (600x800, 65K)

I started using Ubuntu when I was in HS. I remember it was 5.10 or something. Not once in my life I have trouble changing wallpaper. Either you are absolute brainlet or trolling.

>clearly mention mint and manjaro
>B-BUH UBLUNTU
Holy shit at least learn to read before saying something

>But anons tell me nvidia doesn't work with linux and only amd has drivers.
Anons don't want to install nvidia drivers for linux they want free as in freedom drivers which is hypocritical since they use nonfree drivers for theri wireless cards most of the time else they can't shitpost from their chinkpads.

I just finish whatever critical and important stuff in that hour while listening to the final countdown

Mint is ubuntu in different taste retard. I also used mint. You can't even figured out how to change fucking wallpaper. Holy fuck, I dual boot win 7 now because job, but goddamn get a real complain next time.

Well, I had suspected that you had either never used Linux before, or you had tried it once, had problems, and swore off of it forever.

>wallpaper
I don't really even know what to say to this one. Every Linux desktop environment has the facilities to change your wallpaper, you shouldn't need to install any additional software. Perhaps the desktop environment you were using simply lacked the facility to do so via the image viewer? Bear in mind that there are a wide range of desktop environments for Linux.

I'm using GNOME right now (it's temporary, don't sperg out at me everybody) and I can set the wallpaper via right clicking on the desktop, right clicking in the file manager, right clicking in the image viewer, and in the system settings.

>package manager
Well, without knowing specifically what was going on, I can't really comment. I'm inclined to say there may have been a misunderstanding or user error, because you really shouldn't have any problems simply installing software. By "update package manager", do you mean running sudo apt update ? Were you trying to install software from some janky PPA or something?

Okay but they don't have to keep it secure because its probably offline. I can make a car faster by taking the doors off.

Not that anything is secure after 2007 anyway, but,

Ya'll are fucking retarded
The reason everyone uses Linux is that you can easily PXE-boot a huge amount of servers, configure them with puppet or something similar, then shoot out commands with SSH/PDSH/PSSH.
Noone wants to use a desktop OS for server management. Only mildly computer illiterate people do.

Attached: 1525464684141.jpg (833x925, 88K)

kek.. indeed brainlet complaints are real.
Never give into them.
Mint/Manjaro.. Meanwhile in the dev world where people actually have to get shit done as opposed to play w/ their OS Ubuntu is the flavor of choice. I love how morons 'want to get into linux' and start w/ these off color bullshit flavors as if it makes them leet to struggle through the horseshit of a bum ass distro. Install Ubuntu you fucking brainlet and learn how to write in C.

Old news.

>Many flagship apps are written in C++. Fortran is also used.

I know fortran is used due to legacy support of scientific code but how is C++ used in conjunction with parallelization libs such as openmpi that don't support C++? Do they just write C++ code and add C bindings to it so that it can be integrated?