Gahnoo plus cat or gahnoo slash cat?

gahnoo plus cat or gahnoo slash cat?

Attached: IMG_20180609_210148.jpg (2448x3264, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LofzYGATK9o
gotek.in/
youtube.com/watch?v=hx45d6-7w5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: i2nn19imkdmx.jpg (240x300, 16K)

5151/Kot

i miss those older monitors that were thicker. My family had one in a computer cabinet and our cat would climb up behind it and lay on top, with her paw dangling slightly over the front. it was cute

I picked an entire setup today for $100 for an IBM PC XT and Model F, original monitor and printer. HD seems fine, monitor has no phosphor burn, and it boots tp some DOS menu program called LEMENU ? I havent used a dos system since I was in single digit ages.

Attached: IMG_20180610_001842.jpg (3264x2448, 904K)

I bought it from Ed today. May use it for a bit and resell or keep it has a antique or xonverstaion peice. Maybe I can print letters with it but its more of less obsolete.
The computer is built like a tank. all metal. the HD has a plastic shell but is still somewhat lightweight and durable. The keyboard I think is a model F. it has a metal case and cork feet underneath.

Attached: IMG_20180610_003237.jpg (2448x3264, 953K)

The monitor** has a plastic shell...
I mean its absolutely gorgeous. I just don't know what to do with it.

Is that a Samsung TV remote?

>Model F
holy shit, that's basically the holy grail of buckling spring keyboards

Yes. Good eye. We have an Samsung HDTV im not sure kf its great like a sony FV310/320 or whatever. It seems ok and has a component input.

Yeah i know, its awesome. i prefer my unicomp ultraclassic. might pickup another better ibm model m whoch is better than the unicomp for sure.

Attached: IMG_20180610_011753.jpg (3264x2448, 1018K)

Get a Gotek to replace the floppy drive and...what video card is that? Is it the IBM MDA or is it a clone/Hercules? The fact that the menu mentions games/graphics suggests the latter.

Nice retro microwave

Also if you get a Gotek, you want the 720k version.

He needs to tell us what games are on that thing. Could just be text/ASCII stuff, if it's graphics it's probably CGA stuff run via SIMCGA.

VCFED is the best place to ask about it.

I havent cracked it open to look inside and dust it yet. I'll try to ID it. I dont know what a Gotek is.

Thanks. It runs great!

Pic related. Not many good games... maybe time to load some if I can figure it out and load a IO cable. I'll need some help and documentation. But asking about games instead if its very fine productivity software like Lotus 123, shouldnt you be heading to /v/ :)

Football? I think Ed may have been a Chad.

Attached: IMG_20180610_024036.jpg (3264x2448, 790K)

Since I'm in the Midwest, the packers will play the bears until I'm sick of this and we'll look inside at the hardware.

Attached: IMG_20180610_024341.jpg (3264x2448, 984K)

So in this program (game) you pick a team, and opposing team. you can do pvp or p vs computer. you select your plays and the pc computes the outcome after about 10 seconds. and shows the result of the play.
I dont know much about FB so Im just selecting offensive plays that sound cool for the bears.

Its storming out. So I'm going to park the HD heads for now and turn it off, unplug from the wall and clean it and open it.

Attached: IMG_20180610_024954.jpg (3264x2448, 1.01M)

New fallout interface does look nice.

Floppy emulator so you don't have to fuck around with actual floppies and it lets you store disk images on a USB stick.

I remember putting date and time in my autoexec.bat file on my XT to make sure to type it every time the PC booted up, that way timestamps wouldn't be wacky

>SIMCGA
Goody, it is a Hercules card and not an MDA. Also that game is NFL Challenge by XOR Software (also released for the Mac). It mostly uses ASCII characters but it does have some graphics if a CGA card is used (or SIMCGA in your case).

Sierra adventures are always nice and they support Hercules natively.

Putting some good text based games could really be a nice use for this thing with some friends.
Any recommendations?

Holy shit I'm hard, that green colour is so pretty

Infocom stuff if text adventures, if graphics adventures Sierra ones support Hercules natively. As for LucasArts games, only Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken have native Hercules support, later ones just have to be run in SIMCGA.

youtube.com/watch?v=LofzYGATK9o

The phosphor on 5151 monitors is outside the RGB spectrum so photos don't capture it accurately. It's darker and not as washed out as the photos suggest, also the phosphor leaves huge smear trails due to the persistence.

This was a Minneapolis-based outfit who developed sports titles and it's amusing how the game box art for NFL Challenge depicts the 49ers and not the Vikings.

IBM Model Ms should work on an XT unless they're those later Lexmark-produced ones, but the extended keys won't work and it will only recognize the 83 the BIOS supports. Also you won't be able to use the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock LEDs.

kiss him...please...!

I doubt you'd want to run Monkey Island on an XT anyway; it would be slow as balls unless you have an NEC V20 in there.

Generally speaking a V20 is a good idea unless you need to run timing sensitive software. The performance difference between the V20 and the original 8088 chip is considerable--not only is the clock speed over twice as fast but it has hardware multiply/divide which also speeds things up a lot. You can also run some 286 software.

Important point. The 8086/88 uses microcodes when a MUL, DIV, IMUL, or IDIV instruction is executed. This results in those instructions being horrendously slow and so programmers were advised to just use SHL or something instructions for multiply and divide the way you'd do it on an 8-bit CPU.

The 286 adopted hardware multiply and divide so you could actually use those instructions. However, a lot of poorly coded compilers would generate MUL and DIV instructions that made software written with them run like molasses on an 8086.

OP's could have a V20; it was a not uncommon upgrade.

I think he has a Seagate ST-225 in there which is probably the single most common XT hard disk.

You can use a null modem cable to transfer files over the serial port, but it would also require the computer to have appropriate transfer software on it.

Attached: ST225.png (489x419, 348K)

>implying Seagate were ever good
You poor, underage person, you. Actually some ST-225s had an infamous PCB defect although it's been a while and I don't remember the exact details of it.

I thought they were so durable that they lasted well into the 2000s, when everything else had already died off

Not really. No MFM or ESDI hard disk had the reliability of modern drives.

Attached: kg95995090.png (1384x437, 30K)

Don't get why this fellow would intentionally limit himself to a 10MB drive. I mean, shit, in 1990 those things had been obsolete for half a decade.

Either he was poor or he suffered from autism.

Linux plus GNU

Attached: anime girl.jpg (555x490, 147K)

You know how much 150 was in 1990? For the uses he described it was probably more than enough.

truly ebin, user. absolute unit haha. XD bravo OP

The storms in my area seem to have subsided. I may try to do some more and take some shots.
Sierra/LucasArts stuff sounda excellent. I'll have to figure out how to get it on there. Someone else mentioned using that floppy USB storage thing. I'd have to order one. I heard you can use an IO cable somehow.
My camera on this phone blows too. Upgrading to a 2014 OnePlus One soon because of that. Using a Moto G4 Play now. It lacks in some areas. The phosphor looks pretty good and I can adjust it to be bright or dark. It seems to have a very wide range. You sound like you know what you're talking about with these monochrome models though, so I believe you. The persistence is definitely very long. But its another aspect of the charm of using one of these and doesnt really bother me much.
The 49’ers were doing well around the 90s and such. Maybe they figured, Silicon Valley people might be their demographic and they should put up the SF team?
Yes the model M's should work. I don't actually have one currently. I sold my last one and have a USB Unicomp ultra classic right now that I use on my desk with a laptop and dock. A lot of M's have the AT connector, later models have the PS2. Thanks for the info. I was looking at getting one of those perhaps.
Its a her, and shes a bitch. Not a nice kitty at all. If you meant the monitor, well, I wouldn't want sully it.
I'll get hardware details soon. I'll do my best at least. Wanted to clean the interior and blow it out anyways.
Wow Jow Forums has some vets around.

Attached: IMG_20180515_164819.jpg (2592x1944, 733K)

Considering what a 10MB hard disk cost in 1983 when it was brand-new technology, actually $150 was not a lot of money at all.

>The 49’ers were doing well around the 90s and such. Maybe they figured, Silicon Valley people might be their demographic and they should put up the SF team?

The game is from 1985. Most likely they slapped the 49ers on there because they'd just won the Super Bowl.

can the PC XT address anything larger that large?
I recall at some point the BIOS had set drive sizes, like type 28 or type 42. I think there were 47 types, and if you had something else you had to enter the cylinders, heads, and sectors manually. until they created autodetect

Attached: ami_titan_05_s.jpg (500x375, 48K)

Don't run the brightness and contrast at high levels; it's bad for the CRT and can also cause screen burn.

MFM hard disks have their own separate controller+ROM and XT BIOSes don't have any hard disk support. The main limitation is DOS since DOS versions

gotek.in/

Or you can get an HxC but they're more expensive. Get a 720k Gotek because XT floppy controllers can't use 1.2MB or 1.44MB ones.

That doesn't matter, still a lot of money to spend in more hardware than you need, specially considering they didn't last that much.
It would be like buying anything above 120GB today to just use Office and emails, it doesn't matter that 2TB is relatively cheap.
I would probably have to get a 500GB one because smaller ones are not sold, but it is a complete overkill.

Makes sense. I wasn't born yet.
I wont. It came with a black netted privacy or dimming screen. i took it off for that exact reason, could run it with less brightness and besides, the adhesive Velcro strips look atrocious on that monitor.

If you just used it for light application stuff and playing games as the original owner seems to have done, probably not. You're more likely to come across a V20-equipped XT if it was used for heavy duty stuff like CAD and spreadsheets.

It's a bit hard to imagine just how much cheaper computer hardware is today compared with the 80s when you would pay about the same money as it cost to buy a small car.

It's common to find 5151 monitors with screen burn thanks to the design of the CRT and the fact that they were often run for long periods of time in office settings or as PoS terminals. You're more likely to find CGA monitors in good condition since they were not used in harsh operating environments as often and color CRTs are not as prone to burn in.

Could also depend on the operating environment. Hard disks used in an office or factory would be typically run for longer hours which contributed to heat buildup and pre-IDE hard disks have no shutdown feature if not accessed for a while and can't auto-park the heads when powered off.

It wasn't uncommon for 101 key keyboards made before 1993 or so to have a manual XT/AT selector switch on the bottom, but the Model M is auto-switching. IBM also made a special XT-only version with no LEDs.

Attached: IBM_Model_M_1390120_19860331_front.jpg (1920x1080, 365K)

Plus they have a huge giant stepper motor and electronics that are not as energy-efficient as modern ones.

The mechanic I go to is using the same terminal as when they opened in 1983.
Its kinda fucking nuts.

Super Bowl Sunday, another early football game and this one has full graphics support. Developed by the same guys who did the IBM version of Jumpman. The C64 version is better though.

Attached: 7686-super-bowl-sunday-pc-booter-screenshot-watch-the-outcome-cga.gif (320x200, 4K)

This was on a self-booting disk unlike NFL Challenge; it wouldn't work with a Hercules card and you'd just get a rude message that the game requires CGA.

what's the brand of the cat? Is it cisco?

Demonlord's site used to have a lot of disk images of booter PC games but he never had Super Bowl Sunday.

Like I said, I wouldn't bother with it anyway when you can just play the superior C64 version on VICE.

youtube.com/watch?v=hx45d6-7w5U

Here it is on the Apple II. I can't find any video of the C64 version for some reason.

It's not even listed on Lemon64.

John Madden Football is a lot better and still runs well on 8086 machines.