GNU/Linux

To any GNU/Linux users out there (past or current):

What got you into GNU/Linux?

Attached: 34088_469913099895_616599895_6466054_6469726_n.jpg (506x600, 41K)

Had a laptop with windows that would refuse to cooperate with my wifi card. Installed Linux on said laptop and never had wifi problems again.

I sat next to a Jow Forumsentleman in one of my classes in high school. He gave me a usb with ubuntu on it, and I haven't looked back since.

RMS

I used XP until 2010 or 2011 I think, and there was this guy, a friend of mine, he didn't had a pc so I always borrowed mine so he can do work from school, he was constantly getting my pc infected with virus. I got bored and installed Ubuntu, since then every single laptop I had I installed Linux as my main os.

Just wanted to try a new thing, fell in love with it.

For me it was the incredible speed increase from using Linux over Windows.

Same here. Such a beautiful fucking thing Linux is.

I wanted to customize my desktop when I was younger.

Now I use it because it makes software development easier.

PC Had Alzheimer's, Linux made it bootable and able to live for another year.

spotted a neighbour running slax from a 256M flash drive, asked what it was and he gave me a quick explanation, and gave me a copy of SimplyMEPIS
played with it for a few years before switching over completely

I just burned out on trying to keep Windows secure and clean - I tired of playing whack-a-mole with its countless security holes and telemetry "features."

I did volunteer work for a local organization that recycles old computer parts, and in return they gave me a computer with Xubuntu installed. I was a little disappointed because I was 13 and I wanted to play video games, but now I honestly feel lucky.

Rational thought.

YouTube videos and my curiosity about computers and computer software
The only way I "installed" Linux, Ubuntu was by using Wubi

Thought I was a l33t phr3ak3r kid back in middle/highschool. Installed RedHat 6 on my grandmother's computer, couldn't get fucking dialup to work.

Attached: 1507909381867.jpg (435x435, 18K)

I got into Linux because I found out it existed.

Windows being spyware.

Windows 10 started to piss me off. It would get slower with each update and install shit i didn't ask it to install.
The greyed out option to uninstall that xbox crap took the cake. My PC should do exactly what i tell it to do. And no, i won't go fiddling with the registry just to remove some software i didn't want in the first place.

I'd go Mac if i could afford it right now though.

I went with a Mac I could afford 6 years ago and am still using it, why not do the same?

Because i literally lack the money to purchase it unless i sell my crypto or something, and i won't do that just to buy a new PC.

You don't literally have a few hundred dollars? That's literally pathetic.

This.
You can buy refurbished too.

It's few thousands, not hundreds.

MacBook Pro 2015 15'' is around 1k on Ebay. No, i don't have that much at this time. I'm a balkanfag, our minimum wage is around 500$. Sucks, but oh well.

I can't. They don't deliver here. And even if they did, the model i want is around 1600$ refurbished

Windows would randomly restart my PC. couldn't find any error logs so decided to switch to GNU/Linux and haven't had this problem since.

I never said new. I spent $500 on my iMac in 2012, I could get the exact model I'm using right now for ~$200-$300 and it's still my desktop.

>this model of this age costs too much
Have you considered getting an older model?

>Have you considered getting an older model?
3 years old model isn't older?

It was about 1995. I had a PC that wasn't on the internet, and I used to get CDs from magazines to try out new stuff.
One of the magazines had an article about linux in the back. The schmuck "reviewing" it was waxing lyrical about how stable it was.
Week or so later, I got a magazine that had a copy of some distro on it. Took me a month to get it to work. A few years later I was happily using Mandrake for my daily usage, then I switched to Debian. Now I use Gentoo for fucking around with, and Debian for everything else.

No, a 3 year old model isn't older than a 3 year old model.

What are you even trying to say?
Bottom line is, if i were to buy a Mac, i'd get the 2015 15'' one.
I can find that model for around 1k.
I don't have 1k currently, and i won't buy an older model than that because that wouldn't exactly be an upgrade to my current laptop

>What are you even trying to say?
That by "Have you considered getting an older model?" I meant older than the fucking one you're discussing.

I installed parallels on my Mac to use windows 7 and some distros were offered as free OS’s to download. I gave it a try because I was always curious about what Linux was like. I tried fedora at first and thought it was pretty neat. Eventually I got a thinkpad and I use Debian now.

>I meant older than the fucking one you're discussing
No, i haven't. I'll save up for the one i want instead of buying an older one just so i can say i have a Mac

unix design
autism
freedom

Why can't mactoddlers contain their homosexual urges?
Fuck off.

Who said you should buy a Mac just to be able to say you have a Mac?

desktop threads and being neet

What would be the reason to buy an even older model if i specifically want the 2015 MBP?

autism

>What would be the reason to buy an even older model if i specifically want the 2015 MBP?
I didn't know that specifically the 2015 MBP gave you a hard-on. I guess if that's the case then save up till you can wank to it daily. In my case, I bought a Mac that could run the latest OS X so I could run the latest OS X.

>the 2015 MBP gave you a hard-on
Yeah. Nice and slim, more than enough in specs to suit my needs(web dev), runs the latest OSX, retina display etc etc.
Was debating between that and the Dell xps 15, decided on a Mac.
I'll get it this year eventually

>Nice and slim

Attached: 1475219624986.gif (270x180, 1.27M)

The 2012 one has a fucking CD drive

Attached: 1350275778260_0.png (432x576, 101K)

>What got you into GNU/Linux?
There aren't any good alternatives in this decade.

Also this.

>I'd go Mac if i could afford it right now though.
There are always cheap refurbished Apple laptops being sold on eBay, Amazon and such.

No, it has a fucking DVD drive. And you're free to ignore its existence, swap it for a Blu-ray drive, or swap it for an HDD/SSD.

>There aren't any good alternatives in this decade.
Wrong

what got me was MS-DOS.
I got so used to that shit I didn't know why win95 was thinking i want to run it all the time. then i discovered linux after win98 and thought great, someone else thinks the CLI is superior

>Wrong
Name 1

>No, it has a fucking DVD drive
You nitpicky cunt

Attached: 1433172496048.jpg (216x265, 21K)

OpenBSD

>No, it has a fucking DVD drive.
ACKTUALLY
It's called an Apple™ SuperDrive®, which is way better than a shitty peecee CD/DVD Combo Writer, as it has an Apple™ logo on it.

Attached: you thought i was fucking joking.jpg (550x548, 76K)

In other words it has a fucking DVD drive

Ye.

pretty sure he said it was called a super drive

>bought PC World around 2005?
>suse 8.2 CD was included with it

Windows Chicago. Was in the beta, installed it, lost access to every piece of software that was written in 16bit versions of VB. Basically if it wasn't just a frontend for a DOS program I'd get the "This is not a valid win32 application" error. So I was on IRC complaining about it and this dude shoots me a query telling me about this thing called Slackware Linux. I installed it, and after a pretty steep learning curve and a lot of R'ing TFM, I had learned how to install dependencies and programs, and had found working Linux alternatives for everything I lost when upgrading to Chicago. I used Linux exclusively for 24 years after that, it got me through high school, a pre-med program and med school. Wasn't until this past Xmas when my best friend gave me a macbook after my Ideapad bit the dust that I became a part time macfag. I still run kubuntu most of the time, but anytime I need to run commercial software, instead of dicking around with wine I can just reboot to macOS and run it natively. IMO, macbook air dual booting kubuntu and macOS is the ultimate comfy.

>couldn't get fucking dialup to work
It probably had a winmodem. Those things were notorious for not working with Linux. I don't miss those days. I had an external modem that I kept around just in case I picked up a system that had a winmodem in it

>old desktop pc w/ windows 7
>bloated as fuck
>barely boots up or runs
>beginning to have hardware issues
>wake up one morning
>pc now running windows 10
>pic related
>ididntaskforthis.dll
>realize micro$hit just remotely cucked my machine to artificially inflate their failing download numbers
>remember linux exists
>dduck linux distros
>decide on ubuntu because noob
>back up files and install
>pc works like new again, old hardware and all
>continues to work like new until recently
>old ass motherboard finally ate shit
>new pc
>immediately wipe and install xubuntu
also
>saved wife's old laptop in a similar manner
>struggled to boot windows
>install ubuntu
>again, magically works
>even the wireless nic we thought was trashed
Now instead of a new laptop, I just need to replace her battery and keyboard and it'll be like new. I'm absolutely never going back to winshit.
>

Attached: IMG_20180610_080751.jpg (640x428, 36K)

some ubuntu live cd from a magazine (7.10 or 8.04), tried it because was bored, was suprised that even my adsl modem worked ootb. Later on i tried debian squeeze and wheezy, both were comfy.

My friend once gifted me a Knoppix CD when we were twelve or so. Since then I'm into it.

Attached: 1528252438768.jpg (3264x2448, 310K)

This for me.

that light bleed.
glad i'm on a benq va

linux was faster then windows vista so i deciced to just fuck up windows after a backup and install linux

Klaus!

this.
i was blown away by my comp teacher in high school when she tells me that there are hundreds OS that isn't windows, since then i became distro hopper but then i look retarded so i sticking with the major one.

favorite distro: arch and slack

I like to be different.