Thinking about installing Arch so I can learn more about linux. Why is there such a bad repuation around Arch...

Thinking about installing Arch so I can learn more about linux. Why is there such a bad repuation around Arch? Is it the userbase?

Attached: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (2000x2000, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Arch_Linux
gist.github.com/ubone/952ecccb1e6d3d9dd635559ae3c529bd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pretty much the users yeah

it is the userbase
autistic freshmen university students goto distro

What's the chad distro

It is hands down much easier to install than it appears, you dont need to be a rocket scientist but you cant be a total dumbass like the other two commenters before me

this,
The arch wiki is amazing, use it for everything

>installing Arch so I can learn more about linux
installing a packaged OS, including Arch, is the easiest thing in the world
if you actually want to learn about linux then build your own kernel, set up servers, create useful software, and do pentesting.

Xubuntu

Thanks anons. I'll check out the wiki.

anything without systemd

CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu
.t professional

don't think about it's userbase it's great distro to learn linux, it's like an easier LFS

userbase yes, but more importantly the fact it uses systemd

A blowback from the reputation as an "advanced" distro would be my guess (even though it's not that advanced compare to Gentoo for example). Also the popularity causes people here to be by default against it. But I really like it and it gives you enough options without being overwhelming IMO.

Avoid their forums as much as possible and you'll never be exposed to the extreme levels of douche-baggery Arch is famous for. I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's the userbase who is bad,it's mainly the moderators and some of the "veterans".

Attached: hint_hint.jpg (736x827, 66K)

Debian, all the other distributions are either bloated or a neckbeard meme distro.

Gentoo is better if you want to learn more of Linux like using GCC and configuring kernel.

you need to install lfs or gentoo if you actually want to learn something.

I have to add that I prefer Gentoo wiki over Arch wiki, because Gentoo wiki tells you what you're doing unlike Arch wiki which holds your hand without explaining what is up.

>so I can learn more about linux
>so I can learn more about text based configuration files
ftfy

>The arch wiki is amazing, use it for everything
If by everything you mean writing text based configuration files for superficial functionality

this

>
>CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu
>.t professional

This. CentOS in particular. That's what you will be using on the job. The CentOS desktop sux, but you can install CentOS minimal and throw Gnome or Cinimmon on top of that.

Attached: did u know I use arch.png (492x611, 407K)

It's actually an excellent distro, don't listen to haters. Used it for years before switching to Glorious Gentoo.
It's the perfect sweet spot between large, bloated newbie-friendly distros and truly advanced, minimalist ones.
Contrary to popular belief, it won't break unless you do something stupid, and it has given me less trouble during installation than Debian, which autistically complains even using the nonfree iso. I can already hear debianfags say
>hurr durr werkz on my machine
which leads me to believe Debian's supoosed "stability" is built on lies by its fanboys.
Arch is NOT a true minimalist distribution, it aims to be a simple, straightforward distribution for the competent user.
If you *really* want something that will teach you how Linux in general works, though, use Slackware. If you want high customizability and full control of your binaries, Gentoo is a great choice. Arch is a good stepping stone, but it's also good as a long-term OS, thanks to its wide package count.

>debian
>systemd
Bloat.

>If you *really* want something that will teach you how Linux in general works, though, use Slackware.
why?

install gentoo

This, I once asked something on the forums and they responded with some fuckin crypic ass shit and I had to figure it out myself anyways

The userbase is shit. If you ever use something other than the shitty installation guide, then you cannot be a part of the fourms/ask questions. I can do it, but not everyone can.

Install Debian Sid. Way better.

Arch has actually been failing me lately. Actually flattened my computer entirely because my Windows partition was fucked somehow and the clock was wrong on every reboot. I decided to say fuck the Windows partition, I'll just do GPU passthrough using QEMU. It's not exactly difficult on paper and I'm familiar with the software and did some homework on what was expected.

Holy shit was I wrong. I got the distro running under xfce and everything set up properly as if I was going to be using it for day to day use. Then the process to start installing QEMU and shit like Virt-mananger came into play. I outright couldn't get the fucking libvirtd daemon to fucking start. Every fucking search yielded a different fucking thread with the most retarded "solutions" ever. Mongoloids were suggesting "uninstall and reinstall the package" which was totally irrelevant on a clean install. The fucking other half were claiming it was a locale problem which I had set up properly because I'm not a moron. Eventually I just gave up and formatted the entire thing and made a Windows partition once again, looks like Dual Booting is on the menu. I use Arch because the AUR appeals to my halfass nature. I'm not interested in finding 300 random PPAs to install shit using apt. My experiences with CentOS lead me to conclude that Fedora isn't probably too far from that as well. I'd install Gentoo but god do I get sick of diagnosing things. Last thing I want to do is get stuck compiling shit for 30 minutes each trying to figure out some mouth breathers latest code fuckup.

Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Macfags install programs by fucking unpacking zip files that open a window with the application and the "Applications" folder next to it and drag it over to it. That the amazing developers of MacOS didn't figure out that computers could handle this task automatically shows their incompetence.

>learn more about linux
INSTALL GENTOO

>unpacking zip files that open a window with the application and the "Applications
lol... you never used macOS. if you're gonna troll and pretend to be outraged over some shit, at least save some rupees and buy a Mac and use it for a while, pajeet.

I'd recommend actually learning about the OS you're trolling for before making these kind of statements. .DMG files open up with an icon of the application that needs to be dragged onto the Application folder to be installed.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 2.11.36 PM.png (801x674, 283K)

Than I'm not the only one feeling this way.
I could got arch, and gentoo to work pretty easily, but debian I just can't grasp for some reason, their packages are wierd.
As for the bad rep it depends, some programs broke after update, but it could've been my incompetence at the time.
{\blog}

it's not a zip you stupid shithead. and there's many ways to install a Mac app you dumbass.

>What's the chad distro
I've met several CompSci PhDs who use Ubuntu.

>Gentoo is better if you want to learn more of Linux like using GCC and configuring kernel.
You can use GCC and configure your kernel on Ubuntu or Debian just as easily.

>have a douchey friend who studies engineering
>he posts a screen fetch of his arch computer on instagram
>message him
>his literal response is "linux is life"
>ask him if its hard to install arch because i've never used it myself
>no response

he probably had someone install it for him
the literal state of arch users

Gentoo basically forces you to learn about kernel configuration because there are no properly maintained tools (genkernel, looking at you) for automated kernel building.

>Gentoo basically forces you to learn about kernel configuration because there are no properly maintained tools (genkernel, looking at you) for automated kernel building.
Sounds like you're not quite motivated if you need to be forced.

>and there's many ways to install a Mac app you dumbass.
Lel, what a shitshow.

I still don't understand what your point is other than just trolling. Mac still has the best and most reliable installation procedure that's easy and causes the least amount of issues. No DLL hell, no library incompatibilities, easy backup etc.
Anyway, stay mad.

Because kids think using Arch is some real badass hackerino thing to do so nowadays Arch become the meme distro.

"BTW I use Arch" [Moto of the hackerinos]

Attached: 10440714_10204200972804445_5523511888444127024_n.jpg (403x403, 45K)

The difference is that Gentoo is designed to be configured by the user unlike Ubuntu.

Why don't you do the same with Fedora?

CentOS really has archaic packages. Actually in 2015 or 2016 it was using the LTS kernel that was no longer supported for months. It's not good for desktops or laptops. You also need to create packages for a lot of things yourself if you want because their repos are not really geared towards desktop or laptops.

It is really useful when you only need to run CAD software though. Almost guaranteed compatibility.

why the fuck do you care about "the userbase"?
how is that a measure of how good an operating system is?

I just use Linux Mint

Attached: 1499931060172.gif (370x288, 1.5M)

Arch is the best distro.
Well, it has the opportunity to be.
All it has to do is remove Systemd and get rid of the AUR, then it'd be 100% perfect.

Ubuntu.
Chads tend to be stupid and Ubuntu is simplistic.

Attached: ArchHelpFile.png (924x3386, 281K)

If I remember correctly, Slackware requires you to compile everything.Never used it, it sounds a bit miserable, desu.

ARG LINUGS? :DDDDD

Attached: 1525733911941.png (512x512, 51K)

Not him, but Debian always turns into a nightmare for me too. Either the install fails or apt shits itself shortly after I get things set up nice and comfy. Never had any problems with any LTS version of Ubuntu though.

>Because kids think using Arch is some real badass hackerino thing to do
Nobody thinks this.

God, Trilby is an insufferable fucking prick. If I agree with anything in this thread, it's this. I've been a happy Arch user for years now, but the forums are a complete trainwreck if you're not an experienced user. Pricks like Trilby make sure of that. I wouldn't wish the "new user on the Arch Forums" experience to anyone.

>If I remember correctly, Slackware requires you to compile everything.
And you don't remember correctly.

im not an archer but isnt the AUR one of its best features?
whats the problem?

>watching -Wall output scroll on your screen == learning
sure kid

This.
>Debian - the suicide OS
Used with
>Reiserfs - The murder file system

What is make.conf?

Not him but wow... that sure sounds like a distro I would reccomend.

Its difficult to install and the AUR isn't always to be trusted to be safe or up to date
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Arch_Linux

fonts.conf 4u if ever install it
gist.github.com/ubone/952ecccb1e6d3d9dd635559ae3c529bd

>so I can learn more about linux
you won't learn jack shit and you don't need Arch for it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a pretentious underaged retard who thinks generating fstab is something amazing, hardcore and requires a lot of knowledge

>Why is there such a bad repuation around Arch?
it's only on Jow Forums
but then Jow Forums majority eagerly tell you debian is best
in my exp [on desktop] arch was good, debian was crap and yes i installed the proprietary firmwares n shit, hot pile of garbage
if you want something debian see lubuntu

>gparted
>mount
>chroot
>pacstrap
>set time/bootloader
you won't learn much form installing it
learning could happen eventually but this could also if you use ubuntu