Linux rant

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THOSE IDIOTS MAKE A FUNCTIONING DESKTOP?!

Gnome was a fully working, cozy piece of software. THOSE IDIOTS CRIPPLED IT BEYOND USABILITY, REQUIRING YOU TO USE JS EXTENSIONS. They use the low-level language C with FUCKING JAVASCRIPT, making ugly code while being IMPOSSIBLE TO HACK ON! DON'T DO SOMETHING JUST FOR THE SAKE OF BEING UNIQUE

Gnome forks aren't good either. THEY POLISH THE TURD WITH FUCKING EXTENSIONS, MAKING IT UNSTABLE AND EVEN WORSE.

On the other side, there is KDE. They almost made it, but instead of making something that works, they made it into a half-assed bloated ugly desktop with animations that freeze my computer and crash every 5 minutes.
YOU'RE BETTER OFF WITH USING JUST A WINDOW MANAGER.

And instead of banding together and building a working OS, we make hundreds of distros and develop shit like BSD just to be cucked by Apple. Why are we like this?

Attached: triggernometry.gif (512x680, 267K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/GnomeShell/GnomeShell4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>half-assed bloated ugly desktop with animations that freeze my computer and crash every 5 minutes.
then use something like xlde or xfce on your 20 year old thonkpad

Why the hell does Android, MacOS and Windows manage this, with a smaller developer base? I just want a normal, fully free desktop, but i have to use i3wm instead

If you're upset about new GNOME just use MATE - literally just GNOME 2 but maintained.

Can it compete with Windows (features)? After min. 20 years of development we should be able to

>Why the hell does Android, MacOS and Windows manage this,
Because they literally sit down and develop an approach and get it done. In Linux, there is so much noise and in-fighting, nobody can accomplish anything. Squawkers who have nothing to do with a project wage their annoying little campaigns against anything they dislike.Open your eyes folks,people like this are ruining the world.Gnome devs sort of have the right idea in telling people to fuck off, it's just a problem that they lack tact and PR skills.

In all honesty, no, not yet. But Mate is certainly improving a lot recently.

i'll let you in on a little secret

linux is only useful as a server OS for enterprise deployment. the only reason the linux kernel even exists is because companies pay professional devs to contribute to it. all of the best linux software is some version of a web server or database; again developed by paid pros

then some autists realized they could 1-up the apple hipsters by using muh super sekrit hacker OS on a personal computer. 20 years later the result of this chaotic open source circlejerk is a bunch of bastardized barely-functional distros with absolutely shit usability

but hey if they succeeded in making a "good" OS they'd lose their exclusivity and defy the entire point of linux desktop. just as ubuntu started picking up steam they decide to launch arch, an os specifically designed to be broken. kek.

Atleast it isn't Unity.

Seriously tho try xfce or Cinnamon.

Just use a WM.

>Can it compete with Windows (features)
But Windows 8 and 10 are broken inconsistent pieces of shit, just like gnome 3 and kde, why would you want that? What fucking features?
The point of MATE is that it is fully functional without being bloated as it used to be, an option you DON'T have on modern Windows sadly.

So what options for a foss os do we have? Can we ever recover from proprietary software?

Kys, aside from a few games and SDR#, I have literally no reason to bother with Windows. Linux does actually work really well these days. In fact, unless you are using Windows LTSB, Windows is MORE likely to be problematic, due to their new updates system, than Linux is or was.

linux on the desktop is a cesspit but fanatics will deny it. it's like the developers of desktop environments focus solely on shitty apps no one uses.

So if i were to use make a desktop, should i use Rust, Golang, C or something else that is portable and popular?

go or c, never rust

if you make a desktop environment it'll just be another on the shitpile

features are security flaws and bugs

Why is that?

windowmaker is actually useful, even if it's pretty abandonded

yep

>WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THOSE IDIOTS MAKE A FUNCTIONING DESKTOP?!
linux is a kernel, not a desktop environment

>Gnome was a fully working, cozy piece of software.
you should try mate, it's a fork of gnome2

>Gnome forks aren't good either.
most of the userbase love the forks, maybe you should give it a better look

>On the other side, there is KDE. They almost made it, but instead of making something that works, they made it into a half-assed bloated ugly desktop with animations that freeze my computer and crash every 5 minutes.
sounds like a personal problem, try figuring out your graphics drivers or install a de/wm that you can actually run

>YOU'RE BETTER OFF WITH USING JUST A WINDOW MANAGER.
many of us use just a window manager and we like it that way

>And instead of banding together and building a working OS, we make hundreds of distros and develop shit like BSD just to be cucked by Apple. Why are we like this?
instead of banding together and building a working OS, we made hundreds of them

To make GNOME lag less you need it running on SSD and not running on Wayland because it's designed wrong lmao. proof: wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Wayland/GnomeShell/GnomeShell4
I simply took the rice pill and went balls deep with i3-wm. I wanted something that just works out of the box but it's not a thing in Linux today. GNOME comes close with its polish but does some really stupid stuff that piss me off. Best you have today is "just works, provided you have already had the trouble of learning it and making your config for it".