/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: Tux_Guebara.png (512x512, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/blob/master/docs/changes.txt
trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3685
geckolinux.github.io/
cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nvidia-screen-tearing-in-xfce-mate-kde-lxde-and-others/
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
(infinitechan.orc)/lv/index.html
cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218389
github.com/BasioMeusPuga/Lector
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whats the best distro for hitting yeets?

Attached: .png (1920x1080, 8K)

I have a Pi3 sitting around but want to control it via my Nexus 7 tablet for on the go stuff.

What do?

1. set up ssh. remember to change the port
2. on your router forward that port to your pie
3. access it via ssh

Is that it? Thought I had to install TigerVNC and all other shit to make it work.

What client/app do you use for Android that's good? (if any)

You can also set up VNC if you want to access your desktop.
For ssh I use ConnectBot.

>GNU/Cuba edition

Attached: imagebig.jpg (800x600, 64K)

How do I take something I've compiled from source and make it into a package and include all its dependencies? Pure Data isn't in the Alpine repos so I've compiled it and I want to submit it to the repo or at least just have the one file for future use

depends on your package manager, apt has checkinstall, pacman has makepkg, etc.

Do these automatically get the dependencies and stuff? Im using Alpine so the package manager is apk

if you want to include dependencies then look into snap/flatpak/appimage

ok i decided to go with a samba setup instead for file access

currently this is my conf

GNU nano 2.7.4 File: smbshared.conf

[home]
force user = x
path = /home/x
writable = no
public = yes

[secondhdd]
force user = x
path = /dev/sdb
writable = no
public = yes

what do i need to do to make the secondary hdd work? the home folder shows up without issue, but all the media is really on the secondary hdd.

How to generate xorg.conf? I try but the device don't appear or simply got a black screen. I want to drop compton and solve screen tearing properly.

>/dev
You fucking retard. Mount the drive somewhere and use the mountpoint, not the device node.

Yesterday, before going to sleep (~2 am), i typed in the console the command trizen -Syu to update archlinux, a rolling release distribution of gnu+linux. Since then, snes9x, a open source super nes/famicom elumator written in c++, does run too fast. Is there any logging file to see what trizen has updated? Chotto tasukete kudasai!

Cool, thanks

wicked, i never would have guessed that its under /media/x/drivename

thanks a plenty

is there a "limit framerate" option in snes9x or something?

No that note, the speeds dont seem to be that great, only about 8mbit/s which is "ok" but id prefer it to be faster. Is their some sort of configuration that i need to do? Its on a 5ghz band on a decent router so i dont think its a hardware issue

yes but i haven't changed anything. I have found the logging text file at /var/log/pacman.log which has
[2018-06-10 01:50] [ALPM] upgraded snes9x-gtk (1.55-2 -> 1.56.1-1)
. Note that pacman is the package manager that trizen is based off (on?)
now, looking at the changes log of snes9x
github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x/blob/master/docs/changes.txt
they add/modified at quite a lot of stuff since 1.55

I have been playing a japanese rpg (a genre that mix ultima and wizardry plus manga/anime culture) for several days now and i don't want to lose my save state.

off topic: looking a the log, i used pacman for the first time at [2015-08-27 17:07]

i don't need help anymore. thank you everyone for helping me.

how did you fix it

I did not but now i know where to look at; it's probably because of the new snes9x version.

I'm using Manjaro+Mate. If you use Archlinux you might be able to help.

I want the context menu to popup when I right click. Then I click the context menu items with left click only. In Linux, I can click the context menu items with right click. I want this part disabled. How do I do this?

Also how do I make it so middle click closes tasks on the taskbar?

I'm almost done on my migration from Windows.

I have all my software replacements covered except for MS Office.

I don't really like LibreOffice, what could I use instead?

I only need text and spreadsheet editors.

Why dont you really like it?

can you use wine for ms office?

Need some magic.
I have 2 folders. They have the same files & subfolders.
Folder 1 has all filenames uncapitalized
Folder 2 has some letters capitalized
How can I rename all of Folder 1's names to match Folder 2's names.
Copying 2 over 1 is no option, because the filecontents differ.

Thoughts on Parabola OpenRC edition?

Is it possible to have Firefox bookmarks display in GNOME applications menu?

I essentially want Chrome's "Add to Desktop" feature but do not want to use Chrome. I'm sick of having a local app menu, a bookmark menu in the browser, and a "top sites" thing in the browser. is there a Firefox or GNOME extension for this? is there a way to have this by editing dconf?

Attached: 05 Gnome Shell Applicaton View.jpg (1280x800, 185K)

>xfce
>panel -> window buttons

I have my windows grouped with no handles. However, when I have multiple windows opened in the group (more than 1 firefox window, for example, which is common due to 2 monitors), there's no indicator whatsoever in the panel button.

How can I add a little dot for each open window in the panel or some other indicator?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-10_15-22-58.png (197x49, 5K)

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

okay now serious
my mom has got a laptop which is probably older than good percentage of Jow Forums users as its from 2004
Its Dell Latitude D800 with pentium M 1.7 GHz single core, 512 MB of 266MHz ram and 30GB storage
win7 runs quite nicely as long as my mom decides to play a youtube video then its shits it self up and barely keeps up, stutering video and running fans at full speed
i tried puppy linux from live usb, it work entirely from ram and that could have been a reson for it to run even worse than original XP it was shipped with
so im looking for rather user friendly distro that can run on severly limited specs

xfce, the desktop environment (like gnome, KDE, Unity, cinnamon, MATE, whatever)
It's very functional and lightweight

trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3685

Attached: Screenshot_20180610_193228.png (1147x117, 21K)

any modern distro with xfce, lxde or maybe MATE.
Tell your mother to forget jewtube and use hooktube (remember to enable cookies for it and set it to a low res).

You can install the firefox add-on "open with" and set it to open all videos with mpv. I'm on a pentium 4 and I can easily queue up multiple videos with mpv and it runs no problem. Debian is also a lightweight distro, you can do a minimal install and use xfce as the DE.

Attached: 1528324524874.jpg (240x210, 11K)

>Xfeces

im closer to complete noob than to a proper begginer but i will try my best
the hardest part would be to convience my mum to transfer to loonix, so i dont think she will like those mpv windows poping up instead of watching them on yt
anyway, last time got myself a mint cinamon but it was 64 bit and kind of postponed getting 32 bit version for quite some time, is it any good for low spec laptop? dont really know much about DEs and what are the differences between them, hell i dont even know what are desktop enviorments to begin with to be honest

Ubuntu and Debian booth have fully supported 32bit versions.

for f in folder2/*
do
name=$(basename "$f")
find folder1 -iname "$name" -exec mv {} "folder1/$name" \;
done

So, just got this error when opening a program:

error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.66.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What do?

Linux Mint xfce might be what you're looking for.
Mint is one of the most noob-friendly distros, and xfce is super lightweight, you can tweak the panel just a little bit to look just like windows.
Xubuntu might be ok too (Ubuntu with xfce).

Another lightweight DE is LXDE (Lubuntu, for example), but Xfce seems to be more stable and used overall, so I'd go with that.

Reinstall boost first, then the program, you have a mismatch on versions somewhere

Thing is... libboost is there but it's a newer lib version 1.67.

Guessing the program is looking for that older version specifically?

Read my post, then do what i told you, then come back if you have problems.
It is not nice to waste peoples time.

teach a man to fish

Google docs and sheets

geckolinux.github.io/
GeckoLinux updated their spins on OpenSUSE,

Any reason why I shouldn't just use GeckoLinux version over OpenSUSE seeing that it has better defaults.

Calligra

What is a good replacement for Void now that Void is trashcanned?

Stop being cheap and get an Office 365 subscription, user.

So, hello again guys. I'm and before that. I'm glad to say I fixed my issue at 99% and I would like to share my solution in case someone would have same problem as me.

As said, if your system is working with amdgpu driver and you have TearFree option in your conf, you shouldn't have any kind of tearing on any kind of monitor. He's right at 100% and I'm experimenting it right now, really smooth. So, if you have said things running in your system and you have to use compton to get rid off the tearing, your system is not loading/working with said driver, like it was my case.

The process is really simple, although it can fail:

>Uninstall ati drivers
>Install amdgpu drivers
>Rebuild your initramfs
>Reboot

If your issue remains:
>Blacklist from /etc/modprobe.d and in my case from /etc/dracut.conf.d
>Rebuild and reboot

In my case it didn't work yet, since system was freezing at "fb: switching to amdgpudrmfb from EFI VGA" so I found the next solution:
>In GRUB screen, add this to the "linux" line (usually the first one)
radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1

If your system boots, you can add it to your /etc/default/grub file in "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX". In my case for some reason this workaround makes my monitor lose the input, but I just use the physical buttons to recover it.

It feels a little cheap, but at least it works. Now I'm gonna search the way to make the workaround something cleaner and/or fix the monitor thingy.

That's all, thank you guys.

>hurr be a good goy
>t. MS shill
Office Online still hangs and breaks

If your server and client are both connected via wireless, your speed will suck.

X -configure

This. LibreOffice is just too fucking painful to use.

cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nvidia-screen-tearing-in-xfce-mate-kde-lxde-and-others/

in i3 can i make the cursor arrows appear when i hover over the border (like in windows) rather than after i click?

>botnet docs and shits

Is this meme legit?

Attached: 15285374667513.png (627x1013, 536K)

I dunno, why don't you try it out and see if a beard spawns on your face

Not quite. First of all, there are quite a few steps in there which open interactive tools, such as fdisk, nano and links, which require you to edit a file / find and download a file / go through the disk partitioning process according to your requirements. Even if you did everything necessary during these steps however, this still wouldn't work since it does `chroot ... && ...`, which would only run the following commands after exiting the chrooted shell, when they should be run in the shell. Also they seem to have written at least one command which would only work outside the chroot amongst the commands intended to be ran inside the chroot.

It would definitely be possible to write a one-liner like that which would successfully install Gentoo though.

can somebody identify this icon theme

Attached: 73811-1.jpg (1024x768, 116K)

>sudo pacman -Syu
>more than 1000 packages
I... I will be alright, y-yes?

Attached: terminal.png (819x688, 154K)

Go to your system themes folder and find the icon folder
OR install lxappearance

only one way to find out!

R.I.P.

Attached: 15026488283262.png (734x778, 80K)

Best GPU for GNU/Linux and Libre Vidya (you know, with best fps and best nouveau support and shieet)?

>"vidya"
>assuming it'll be nvidia
>"shieet"
dont talk to me

i wouldn't be asking if that were my system you idiot

You would be surprised by the people that post...

NouveXT

First problems and it didn't even begin to install.
5 packages had "untrusted" keys and refused to install. Only way to solve it has been to delete the gnupg folder and set up the keyrings from scratch.

Now it is fucking conflicting files. Trying --force.

Attached: 1517798553099s.jpg (125x125, 2K)

Sorry it's actually called "nuoveXT", and it's the LXDE icon theme (packaged as lxde-icon-theme on Gentoo).

Sorry, i just want to know what would be the best GPU for Libre gayming, well supported by free software and stuff, I don't care if it'll be nVIDYA (haha, you get me?) or whatever.

thnx

gtx 1080 ti

thank you fren

Attached: 6.jpg (1000x800, 50K)

Since i dont want to pay 300 dallahs for windows 7, does any gnu/linux let me play muh vidya games?

Gonna fuck with GPU passthrough and plug in a second nvidia card (I have an AMD processor so I don't have integrated graphics)

Can I leave my 770 in my first two slots and be alright, or do I need to move it to the other slots since it won't be my primary anymore?

Attached: eating.gif (286x286, 525K)

>paying for wangblows
Well, depends, for nonfree vidya you don't really have any help here, if it sucks/doesn't work, then it will suck/don't work, but for libre vidya trisquel netinst + i3 is comfy
t. trisquel netinst + i3 user ouo
also check these for libre vidya:
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
(infinitechan.orc)/lv/index.html (slow board tho)

What do you think of this? Doom as a process manager. An oldie but a goodie.

cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

Limit snes9x framerate.

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=218389

Ubuntu 16.04. Oracle VirtualBox seems to be trying and failing to open on startup. How do I stop it from even trying? It's not in the Startup Applications list.

>trying to install Gentoo
>have done so before
>for some reason every time I dd the minimal iso to a usb drive the usb installation can't find and boot the kernel

Is the current minimal iso just fuckt? It just werkt for me b4.

have you disabled some uefi-bios compatibility setting recently? the minimal iso doesn't support uefi
$ md5sum install-amd64-minimal-20180415T214502Z.iso
fd92e8bea7d8a51a02cee3e54c8f4d31 install-amd64-minimal-20180415T214502Z.iso
this iso works for me

>Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again.
sha256sum too strong

I'll look in BIOS settings for this next time I'm at home. Thanks.

But why? It shouldnt be this bad surely?

manjaro?

Attached: 1525401073936.jpg (1440x1080, 118K)

I might have borked my KDE install on 18.04 a bit. It's all still working except for the "Desktop Grid" and "Present Windows " actions. "Show Desktop still works. I first thought my screen edges my be borked but other screen edge actions still work. I can still switch desktops via the pager.. I recently installed and uninstalled some other DE, among them Cinnamon. I think I might have removed it by accident while doing that.

Any help how I check what I am missing? I tried doing an update via Muon and Discover but it didnt help.

Attached: worried eat.gif (379x440, 140K)

this is cool github.com/BasioMeusPuga/Lector

Attached: lector.png (1780x986, 222K)

What's the hype surrounding polybar?

anyone getting flashbacks to the trillian chatclient that did this before wikipedia was this huge thing everyone always fucking quotes?

>trillian
HOLY SHIT.

I am running Arch.
Finished the update. I had to boot from live usb and reinstall pacman. Updated, rebooted and every shit seems to be running fine.
Good Lord... I am lucky.

Attached: 1506573072132.png (394x360, 144K)

>get japanese keyboard for comfy keys
>messing with layouts
>enable japanese on the list of layouts
>AltGr stops working properly
>although it enables the correct layer, it triggers alt key press which takes precedence (for example instead of typing in "ł" with AltGr+L it'll select menu entry for "L" if there is one as if I pressed LAlt+L)
It definitely is caused by the japanese layout being available on the list of layouts. I don't even need japanese layout, I was just curious if Linux handles moonrunes out of the box and now I'm curious why it fucked up my main layout.

$> setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
Applied rules from evdev:
rules: evdev
model: pc104
layout: pl,pl,jp
variant: colemak,,kana86
options: caps:escape,shift:both_capslock
Trying to build keymap using the following components:
keycodes: evdev+aliases(qwerty)
types: complete
compat: complete
symbols: pc+pl(colemak)+pl:2+jp(kana86):3+inet(evdev)+capslock(escape)+shift(both_capslock)
geometry: pc(pc104)
xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+pl(colemak)+pl:2+jp(kana86):3+inet(evdev)+capslock(escape)+shift(both_capslock)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
};

Does it mean it somehow merges available layouts into one with layers or something? Running KDE by the way.

You need:

pacman-key --init && pacman-key --populate archlinux

Why doesn't feh let me change my wallpaper anymore?