Javascript appreciation thread

You do enjoy using it, right?

Attached: js.png (1200x1200, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
windows93.net/?res=5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its actually a really terrible language. I hate how its being shoehorned into fucking everything

It gets the job done but I can't say I enjoy using it.

Only if it's TypeScript.

"use strict"; is enough.

no. it's shit and only used by onions-latte chugging skinny-jean wearing hipster faggots in stupid web startups, because they can't learn a proper language

>proper language
what?

Yes, js is great. There is no need to learn other languages.

You can already use it with a framework of a framework of a framework to run a server, a front end, a backend, an API, and even a fucking video game. What's next, a linux distro written in javascript? Jesus fucking christ

I have the You Don't Know JS books but haven't begun reading them yet. I'm still learning Jquery. I found them at Thriftbooks (a used bookstore) super lucky.

Attached: Snapchat-1894755308.jpg (1920x1080, 767K)

>Not using a pirated PDF
Pathetic

Attached: images (4).png (232x217, 9K)

Yeah I'm not a NEET with a fixed income and can go in public places without crippling anxiety.

whats the point learning jq without js base?

>I like spending my money on stupid shit and wasting my time scrolling through pages.

You can't even say you are supporting the original author. KYS cuck.

>You can't even say you are supporting the original author. KYS cuck.
the author put up all those books for free to read on his github
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS

I wouldn't recommend anyone learning a library or framework over the core language first but Jquery has been super helpful in easing me into vanilla JS.

Knowing Jquery is also helpful when looking for an internship or a very entry-level position at an agency or firm. I don't know vanilla JS but I know enough HTML/CSS and Jquery to show them that I'm capable of making a website do what a client wants.

1 month of learning Jquery will have a bigger impact on the way your sites look than 1 month of vanilla JS and ultimately that is going to secure me a job faster.

Learn enough to get the job then get paid to learn on the job.

learn algebra and code on youtube insted those over theoretic books are useless

let me ask you something if you get across js functions on someone else site you will know how to fix or improve them? or you will just rewrite the whole thing with jq?

I wouldn't touch the code.

You guys I'm learning Jquery as a stepping stone to learning the DOM and being able to see what vanilla JS can do without actually writing vanilla JS. I'm not going to be using Jquery forever I have aspirations to be better, that's why I bought the You Don't KNow JS books because they're highly recommended.

All I want is an entry-level job so I can begin to get better with professional experience. Learning Jquery is still a big thing. Lots of sites are still using it just like Wordpress.

>What's next, a linux distro written in javascript?
Not linux but windows93.net/?res=5

'use strict' can't into static analysis.

I do not want to disappoint you, but you will not get any job beyond a minimum wage, just from knowing jq

We all have to start somewhere.

Well, it's good to know how to animate websites or whatever, but believe you'll start hating jQuery when working with Vanilla JS. Some people load the whole fucking library just to be able to select components wisth $('#whatever'). Besides that, JS itself is a very nice language to learn, don't listen to those compiled fuckers

I am a long time in web languages
Let me give your childish vigor advice
Instead of reading practice ..
Most of the tricks are somewhere in the documentation
if You will learn js for at least 4 months you will see that it take a day or two to learn jq
learn ajax
learn server language like php, python, node-js ...
learn to work with a bunch of framework now you fullstack enjoy your new shity life

Thank you so much for your advice sincerely sir. I want to become a full-stack dev one day. I've gotten out of the habit of just watching video courses and reading but not actually applying what I just watched.

I've been taking physical notes now too and making projects and it's really helped me.

Attached: jquery notes.jpg (1080x1516, 642K)

Agree, but jquery can give you hints about what to learn when it comes to DOM manipulation.
I learned js lurking the jquery source code.

I am experienced dev who knows vanilla and i would still choose JQuery when working with DOM.

Purescript*

Just learn angular/vue/react and let jquery finally die, you'll thank me later.

I enjoy scripting with it myself, but I certainly don't trust websites having 3MB minified webpacked JS code running.
I wouldn't download a 3MB executable so I don't trust it in the browser either

It's unironically my favorite language because of how free it is to do whatever the fuck you want with it regardless of safety, and it's easy to write. Doing something in JS sometimes takes 4x less lines of code than the java equivalent

same answer to you at

fpbp

Fpbp and underrated

Good choice, the async and performance book is a great read if you want to get into the nitty gritty.

fuck this piece of garbage
can't wait for python on the web

You understand what your learning isn't rocket science. Even brainlet front ends know vanilla JS isn't that hard. If you want a entry level job at this day and age learn a front end framework like react or vue. Designing static webpages isn't employable what so ever, since someone can make a Wix site just by dragging and dropping for a couple of minutes.

Until you need to debug it

What's wrong with JS debugging? The Chrome debugger is mint. Or do you mean the type issues that every js dev will face? Then I'd agree, it's a straight up nightmare unless you write extremely defensive code, something no one wants to do. Flow does fix this while letting you write standard JS, it's a good option, but the third party types are minimal and often unmaintained.

>GitHub

Enjoy your botnet

I debug it all the time, what's wrong with it? My job even uses deprecated frameworks that are shit and it's not too bad

I just don't like how every fucking "extension" of JS exists to be used instead of pure JS, such as things like JQuery, CoffeeScript, TypeScript and node.js.

If you want to do Interactive Webpages, just use one fucking language for it, one language/API for the CGI back-end, and then followed by your typical HTML and CSS.

>Proper language
You are so fucking dumb omg, gtfo

For all the flak js gets, it's much nicer than lua

Its pretty easy to debug, not harder than python or any non compiled language. And you can put it through babel for syntax errors and shit

Great thing for experimenting, prototyping and writing microservices in node.js. Yesterday I've discovered that there is js for embedded called Espruino and my nucleo f446 is compatible with one of their binaries.
My favourite feature of languge is first-class functions and everything beyond es5 makes this language very clear in writing.

Have you ever heard of a language with 5 idiomatic ways to do asynchronous procedures and they all suck?

Javascript to the rescue:

1. function callbacks (callback hell)
2. promises (eager, so noncomposable)
3. await-async (eager, same as above)
4. iterators (just callbacks with another name)
5. generators (just iterators with another name)

Now they want to implement a better "async generator" thing. FUCK YOU.

I was messing around with it yesterday and it had the most convoluted way to add two floats together and maintain precision. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

The language itself isn't very good compared to most languages and its getting way worse with all the different styles being slapped on.
The way its currently used, wow its just horrible, these people deserve no respect at all. After reading the most popular sizable javascript libraries on github I seriously doubt there's more than a handful of javascript """programmers""" who are actually competent at anything. Not a single one has any clue why they are writing it the way they do, just pushing out bloated badly written garbage because some person who knows just as much as they do wrote tutorial about it in a blog because they thought it was a good way to learn the language.

Fuck you, GTFO

> "use strict";
instead of:
(function() {
"use strict";
//your code
})();
OR
(function strict() {
//your code
})();

Use rxjs