The collapse of the USSR set back space transportation technology development by 30+ years

The collapse of the USSR set back space transportation technology development by 30+ years.

Attached: Sweet prince.jpg (284x177, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/infographic.view.php?id=11358
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera
newsweek.com/russia-and-china-are-building-hypersonic-missiles-faster-us-officials-warn-861692
news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/the-us-needs-to-put-more-into-the-development-of-invincible-hypersonic-missiles/news-story/95024addeeae0b1efbd238a005d7e60b
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_orbital_rocket_engines#Engine_data
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

commie.

true, but now there is SpaceX...
hopefully the russians will do the thing they always do: copy SpaceX, then improve it while making it cheaper

Yeah. HGVs and Superheavy rockets are more important than all year around banana sales.
Also, you cant deny that with the USSR still existing NASA would've been much better funded and that could've allowed the space shuttle to mature, and the Ares Rocket family to be ready by this decade.

The Angara rocket, Soyuz 5, Baikal resuable glide booster, and Sunkar are as far away from the concept of the Falcon series as they can be. Besides, the USSR was on the cusp of building hypersonic manned glide vehicles(the MAKS project) in 1991. Nobody has has invested or will invest in this type of technology for the forseeable future(8-9 decades).

>Haha! We wasted all our money on pie in the sky projects and collapsed, take that crapitalism!
Maybe if you spent money on feeding your people instead of rockets the USSR would actually still be around.

Who cares?

Corruption and treason was the problem, not food
Me

I wonder when people will start pushing funding into the space program again. All those precious metals arent gonna mine themselves

Go to hell

The defeat of the 3rd reich advanced space exploration by 30 years.
All space programs decent from nazi rockets.
How bou da?

>All space programs decent from nazi rockets.
Only the US space program

Attached: the-ussr-won-the-space-race_o_6069185.jpg (838x740, 204K)

Number of operational satellites in orbit by country:
US 803
China 204
Russia 142

>first man and first women in space is separate
>somehow relevant
Nice try, Putin

Americans brought to us moonsugar, you, uneducated faggot

the space race wasn't about putting people in space or the moon

Attached: Soviet_Union_USSR_GDP_per_capita.png (1138x714, 162K)

You wish. Their design was heavily based on western technology like the Buran spaceship and the Tupolev 144. Basically Brezhnev realized that industrial spying was cheaper than investing into R&D.

Also there is the fact that the Soviet Union had a pathological case of NIN and everything they made served no purpose other that to show the west that they could.

Only delusional communists believe in this USDR tech bullshit.

god damn japan's economy was like a rocket ship back then

don't forget, some of the most efficient engines out there. even to this day, the US can't compete.

and, sorta related, Russia, even today, is still far beyond the US in hypersonic missiles (ramjets/scramjets) technology, even to the point where the US military doubts they can defeat them at all.

If their spying was so good, why did they have to build Buran to find out how shitty the concept was?

Also the only remarkable soviet achievements in space flight happened in Kurshnev government and the guy was practically erased from soviet story because he admired the West too much.

>Kurshnev
nigga what

Buran was amazing. They managed to land it perfectly using automatic pilots. The project however was incredibly expensive and by then Brezhnev retarded economics had taken its toll on the Soviet Union.

Khrushchev

thats what happens when the US feels kinda bad about nuking you and then sees an investment op

You posted the thumbnail retard

>Giving Australopithicus-Americans welfare has set back space transportation by 30+ years.

It's just a down-payment for being a satellite state.

>Japan
>that drop in '45

Attached: hehe.jpg (212x200, 6K)

>USA dropped even more at the same time
What did you mean by this?

>based on western technology like the Buran spaceship and the Tupolev 144
And was better than """""western technology""""". Even now.
Shuttle 2.0 is what soviets did in 80s lel.

waste of money really

spend billions every decade to make a new launch vehicle or some shit

>What did you mean by this?
GDP wasnt the only thing that dropped in Japan in '45

>I know nothing about technology at all, just shitposting CPUs and GPUs

>using the buran as an example of soviet technology
>the spaceship that was developed just because soviet statesmen said "hey, there HAS to be a reason the Americans have a shuttle! do the same!"
>even tho their technicians told them that it was a dumb idea
>even tho it was demonstrated that using Saturn rockets would have been cheaper than shuttles
>even tho the shuttle only existed because the pentagon and politicians decided to chime in the design of it
>the Buran, the spaceship that flew twice and was stored indefinitely, the Russian Federation not even caring enough to do basic maintenance on its hangar
>THAT Buran
yeah, na

saw one irl in moscow

Attached: IMG_20160828_133033.jpg (4032x3024, 2.3M)

yeah glad we know 1 plant still grows upright on the ISS

jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/infographic.view.php?id=11358

look at this lame shit. half of them are just someone worked at NASA or some vague link to the item

>jaws of life which use hydralics came about from explosive separators on the space shuttle

They also claim to have invented the mouse in 1960.....

Attached: mouse.jpg (632x267, 34K)

The difference is that the American economy was artificially on overdrive since late 30s, early 40s, operating outside its equilibrium through state policies, a.k.a. throw every penny to munition factories. 1945 was just ramping down that spending since... well.. no more WW2. So, if you exclude '39 to '45 numbers, and jump from '38 to '46, you see that... the economy expanded at a normal rate. Japan on the other hand took like 2 decades to get to pre 40s levels

Correct.

It's time to accelerate it.

Attached: 1528772220664-biz.jpg (601x599, 124K)

The Van Buran tech was recycled into newer Basedez tech, and most of it was knocked off of the space shuttle, which is a shitty design, by the way

You don't get it. Without the USSR, the US doesn't need to keep up much of a space program to beat the commies. No commies means no commies to beat
I was going to say that the US is working on far more ambitious hypersonics, which is why the US is behind. And that they want planes more than missiles. But no, it appears Russia really does have a maneuvering hypersonic missile powered by scramjets. The US really is behind. Because the Russian's missile can maneuver they could potentially apply some of the same tech to planes.

>Because the Russian's missile can maneuver they could potentially apply some of the same tech to planes.
yes, and they could use it in other areas as well. why aren't they doing that, I don't know...
the russians also helped (in the 60s) advance the current (yes, CURRENT) CPU tech, with their studies on solid state physics.
what happened to the USSR is quite sad, IMO. lots of things that we will probably never recover, because "the markets" don't give a shit, even when they could be more efficient economically.

How many probes did Russia send to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune?

they sent some to venus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera

I agree with this, it was a copy of what we now know it's shit tech

>Jow Forums talking about Jow Forums's hypersonic missile territory
>acting like anyone is ahead of the US in terms of hypersonic missiles or ancient mystical russian engines being better than what burgers have

youre a fucking embarrassment fuck off everyone

Attached: 1528709419289.jpg (570x479, 21K)

wait, are you really saying the russians aren't ahead of the US in those things? prove me wrong

prove this dick wrong bitch

so, I suspected you were a US kid mad that someone else in the world is really better at something than US engineers/scientists
btw, have you ever seen statistic showing how many of those "US" engineers/scientists were born in the US or had some other citizenship many "american" engineers/scientists weren't really americans...

*does a fat shit on your tiny slavic head*

newsweek.com/russia-and-china-are-building-hypersonic-missiles-faster-us-officials-warn-861692
news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/the-us-needs-to-put-more-into-the-development-of-invincible-hypersonic-missiles/news-story/95024addeeae0b1efbd238a005d7e60b

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_orbital_rocket_engines#Engine_data
sort by "Thrust/ weight ratio", notice the ones with the soviet flag

poor kid can't believe the reality, so he simply denies and talks shit
pro-tip: the only thing the US is good at, is marketing, i.e., jewing people by brainwashing them

Is there a bigger money pit then space exploration?
>NASA develops new satellite
>explodes on launch
>bilion down the drain
>oops

Fuck your "what-if" scenario. Considering the potentiality of the USSR in any realm of endeavor without collapse is absolutely nonsensical considering its collapse is completely indicative of its performance in any endeavor. Anyone can say any statement regarding a fallen state, but don't forget your premise lies entirely on fantasy to begin with. You can role play all you want, but the USSR was a piece of trash, and that it collapsed exemplies this.

The emergence of sattelites has created 10 dollars of economic worth per 1 dollar spent. If you disagree, stop using your phone. Stop using GPS. Stop using the internet. If you can't see how these things have positively influenced the economy, you don't deserve modern amenities.

Japan's economy was in war overdrive since 1936, though, when they invaded China and started their massive naval rearmament program. And they lost their empire, with its access to cheap Manchurian and Korean coal and iron.

you are an absolute brainlet if you really believe you can measure value or performance in terms of money.

Please show me in my post where any mention of money or any general form of wealth was made.

-> >considering its collapse is completely indicative of its performance in any endeavor
as an obvious counterpoint, you could have had all poorer than the USSR countries collapsing at the same time or even earlier, because of their terrible "performance in any endeavor". obviously that didn't happen in all cases, because there are many, MANY factors involved when a system collapses (culture, politics, external pressure/attacks, etc, etc)

in fact, there is some theory out there that claims the USSR collapsed not only because of political or economical reasons, but for a much bigger factor: nationalism.

What we need is a few asteroids every now and then, not the planetary extinction kind, just large enough to have then keep the funding up for when the planetary extinction one does arrive.

Attached: armageddon-launch[1].jpg (635x343, 36K)

Billions! What ever shall we do?! How will the US government ever be able to scrape up billions of dollars for a whole decade of research and mission funding?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II
>Program cost: 1.508 trillion USD

...unless congressmen are making fat stacks under the table because of it.

...what?

There was nothing regarding money in that post as the reason the USSR collapsed. Yes there are many factors involved in a collapse. There was nothing in the post saying what the factor was yet you directly assumed it said it was because of money even though nothing in the post says so. Hell, you're only bolstering my claims by demonstrating how many cracks played role into the collapse.

>Buran
>made 30+ years ago
>still better than modern xXxShuttlexXx
>"it's shit tech" said burger brainlet

Attached: 106xo6.jpg (600x450, 66K)

All while NASA got both the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy developed and operational for less than $1B.

Somewhere along line a lot of somebody is getting their pockets very thoroughly lined.

Buran was a brilliant execution of an awful idea

I'm not America, also
>modern xXxShuttlexXx
The shuttle predates Buran. And it was a shit design. And the soviets copied it just because. The only thing worse than funding an expensive piece of shit, is imitating that expensive piece of shit at a time of economic struggles. The tech wasn't bad, at no point did I point out anything about tech. It was the design. The purpose of it. You could have a paperweight with a thousand moving parts designed by the best team of engineers, but at the end of the day, a rock can perform just as well.

>NASA
>developed
>Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy

My relatives worked on Buran telemetry. They said it did the first autonomous landing in history.

It was destroyed when its hangar collapsed without maintenance funds. Yay motherland.

fine, then. tell us what you meant by
>Considering the potentiality of the USSR in any realm of endeavor without collapse is absolutely nonsensical considering its collapse is completely indicative of its performance in any endeavor
afaik, the soviets were good at their shit, their problems were mostly social/political

>>NASA
>>developed
>>Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy
I didn't say NASA developed the Falcons, I'm saying they got them developed (by SpaceX) for under a billion. Bad wording on my part, but the point was to emphasize how little NASA had to pay to be able to use these vehicles.

>russia
>rockets
>it were ukrainians and poles who introduced rocket science in the ussr
Russians cant do shit without ukrainian rocket engines and components

>op image is a compressed to hell low res jpg with a gay as fuck file name
It's like anudduh holodomor.

Attached: 1521829282683.jpg (657x527, 38K)

>t. Ruski pig

I'm a burger, you gay nigger.

OP is right. Without competition, there's ZERO incentive to put resources into space exploration.

But, all that competition was more motivated by who built the better rocket to destroy each other.

For competition to ignite again, some unknown mineral needs to be discovered, and hold some incredible properties. But that could just send us into a whole new era of Star Wars IRL. It'll be like discovering the new world and exploiting it for all its resources.

Attached: AbeOik6.jpg (160x160, 3K)

soviets doing soviet things

they made buran to be completely radio controlled on a era that radio had barely any strength on its signal

that literally was the only thing that killed that beauty

That wasn't the question. Venus is the closest planet, Neptune is the farthest.

The shuttle set back space transport tech by 30+ years. The thing was a fucking disaster.

Holy shit the propaganda eating is strong on Jow Forums. Russia is working on HGVs - re-entry vehicles that go hypersonic. The US has been working on hypersonic transport vehicles since 2004. One is only useful as a missile, the other can actually transport people.