/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 15269040333820.png (2396x1578, 2.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/DNSCrypt
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Unbound
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DNSCrypt#Unbound
neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is there an equivalent program for (ubuntu) that's pretty much like SoundSwitch?

hitting ctrl+shift+F11 and having that switch between sound coming from speakers and headphones was a godsend

Can some of the desktop-thread crowd recommend me a GTK theme? I'm looking for something that has both GTK2 and GTK3 support, and that looks fairly vanilla. That is, is not trying to emulate Windows 10 or Mac OS. Basically I want the kind of themes that come with Xfce, but with GTK3 support.

pactl and xbindkeys

I want to run a linux vm to program in C for windows (to make DLLs). I want to use valgrind and similar tools.

the thing is that I've always found virtual machines too slow, even if my computer is quite fast (ryzen 1700x, plenty of ram). what is the best way of running a linux vm under windows?

HOW DO I GET DNSCRYPT+UNBOUND TO WORK IN GENTOO
THESE GUIDES DO NOTHING
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/DNSCrypt
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Unbound
I AM GOGIGN TO KIL MYSLEF

Attached: 1506962792099.jpg (250x183, 7K)

How do I shrink these buttons in xfce?

Attached: 1511298504138.png (600x169, 18K)

So let's be friendly then

Any cool tips for SpaceFM?
Any lightweight terminal that has panels like iterm2?

Currently using Ubuntu Studio, because why not.

Making the transition to Linux on my main PC by setting up a dual boot and the hardest part by far has been any step involving windows. It's such bullshit, you were right Jow Forums.

>hardest part by far has been any step involving windows.
you must be dumb

what does your guys' rsync commands look like?

It's not my fault creating a bootabe usb drive to windows from a linux machine is literally impossible

And oh my god the drivers after finally installing it. Again, bullshit. Would happily go full Linux if I could and save so much stress.

>HOW DO I GET DNSCRYPT+UNBOUND TO WORK IN GENTOO
if you're in gentoo you should know how to post an error message. what are you googlin?
>what is the best way of running a linux vm under windows?
running windows under kvm in linux.
nice -n19 rsync -ah --delete-before --no-inc-recursive --info=progress2 --partial --append-verify /source /destination

The only dumb thing was installing windows... Everything else is just the fallout of it

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DNSCrypt#Unbound

>It's not my fault creating a bootabe usb drive to windows from a linux machine
that's literally your fault. do it on windows, dumb dumb.

What's considered "basic" knowledge of the command line? Like, knowing ls, cd, pwd, is a basic as I can get at this point.

What should I do to be command line savvy?

It just instantly crashes and the log is fucking empty...

That's substantially less helpful...

grep, ln, systemctl if you are on systemd, nano|emacs|vim, your package manager

do the following
>how do I list files in current directory?
>search "how do I list files in current directory?"
>found ls command
>what the heck is ls command
>ls --help
>man ls
>cool, ls has -1 switch
and repeat

Put some colors in you GNU already!

# Colored completition.
bind 'set colored-stats On'
bind 'set visible-stats On'
bind 'set mark-symlinked-directories On'
bind 'set colored-completion-prefix On'
bind 'set menu-complete-display-prefix On'

Attached: 1528770038057.png (720x420, 83K)

info coreutils

Hello friendlies, i have CD roms that i can burn, they're 700mb. I want to install Kali Linux on a dedicated laptop that i have bought for kali and their "lite" version is 745mb.

What do

>cds
>2018
>not usb
>ftw

Buy an USB stick.

B-b-but. Is there no way?

help me pls ;_:

just installed windows and ubuntu, but once i installed ubuntu, it restarted and now it autoboots to windows

i cant seem to figure out how to switch the default OS to ubuntu...

BIOS

OK, so im in BIOS, but where do i go and what do i change?

i have both OS's on seperate partitions on the same HDD

(Gigabye MOBO)

im reading online that after one has installed both OS's, when i reboot, i should have the option to choose between windows or ubuntu...but that option never happened for me...

i dont know what im doing wrong

But user. Your screenshot is black and white

Did you run os-prober?
WIndows bootloader might still exist and thatrs why its going right in to windows instead of giving you an option.
Boot a live usb then run a chroot to the linux install and setup os-prober and install grub so that you get a choice on boot

why don't you just use DNS-over-TLS, which unbound supports on its own?

no user, desu i dont know what os-prober is
im not at all that advanced, so im not sure what youre advising :/

In BIOS you want to change the boot order or boot device priority. You'll see a few options, usually any disk drive, CD/DVD drive, USB, or network. It sets which drive the computer will try to boot from first.
If you have made two partitions of the same drive bootable, the drive will be listed twice usually as "drive (0)" and "drive (1)". Figure out which of the two corresponds with ubuntu and set it to top priority, first in the boot order.
You should be presented with a GRUB menu at boot time that comes from ubuntu. This menu gives you the option of booting into ubuntu or booting into windows. You won't get this option from windows.

I had already uninstalled windows by the time I needed to burn a new image. It was a complicated process, ended up asking a stranger in the libary to let me use their laptop for 5 mins

Does it?

>It just instantly crashes and the log is fucking empty...
well journalctl could tell you what's going on but since it's gentoo I wouldn't know where the equivalent would be, but I assume the syslog would have it.
os-prober finds and adds boot entries to other operating systems to your grub entries (the menu that appears when you start the computer after the BIOS)
windows probably still has control of the boot sequence. you should see which disk your BIOS wants to boot from and/or see what grub is booting into. probably has something specific to do with how windows has fastboot or something like that.
>ended up asking a stranger in the libary to let me use their laptop for 5 mins
that's one trusting guy

unless there is some menu im not seeing, i only see [Hard Disk], CD, USB-FDD/-ZIP/-CDROM/-HDD, Legacy LAN, P2_ATAPI iHAS, and Disabled as options for the first, second, and third boot devided.

i dont see anywhere with drive (0) / (1)
did i fugg something up?

we're all gonna make it bro

Attached: 1318060963777.jpg (645x773, 82K)

>fastboot
sorry, fastboot is android. windows is "turn on fast startup"
completely unrelated

Is this a UEFI?
Do you have an option to select a boot device after post (i.e F10 for BIOS, F9 to select boot device)? See what options it gives you there. Mileage may vary on what function key gets you there (equivalent to F9 above) but you should see it as soon as the machine powers on.

Can anyone with a vega gpu (ideally 56) comment on how good the drivers are on linux? mainly the following
1)fanless desktop mode?
2)ease of undervolting
3)actual game + blender testing?

especially in relation to the open source driver. If i can just do general desktop stuff without any screentearing and without fans spinning up (gonna be a asus strix vega) id be more than happy

Yes, set do-tcp: yes and ssl-upstream: yes in unbound.conf. Then in the forward-zone forward everything (name: "*.*") to a forward-addr: of 9.9.9.9@853 (853 being the weirdo port number they assigned for this). Quad9 and cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 support it, if you don't want those (and I don't blame you) there are others (securedns.eu, censurfridns.dk, various others)

i dont think it's a UEFI
so for me, DEL is BIOS, and F12 is the boot menu as you say
and i get similar options:
Hard Disk
CDROM
USB-FDD
SUB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USD-HDD
Legacy LAN
P2-ATAPI iHAS

there is a little + next to the first priority (Hard Disk)

still cant find device 0 and 1

i also looked around and tried this in command prompt on windows but that didnt work either:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

Boot your ubuntu live CD and open gparted. Confirm there are actually two partitions on this drive. Ubuntu may not have installed correctly

Also confirm they both have a boot flag. And you are likely to see more than two partitions, check there are two of appropriate size to contain an OS.

So maybe I did something wrong in my installation?

Check this:

Attached: IMG_1227.jpg (3024x3024, 3.01M)

sda2 is where i have windows7 installed, and sda3 is where i installed ubuntu

is this, perhaps the culprit to my problems? if it is, then i do i correctly partition this?

Seems ok to me. Doesn't look incorrect
What is your mobo specifically?

Attached: reading pepe.png (655x527, 360K)

Since you can only get into windows we can try something from there. Get EasyBSD here
neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
Scroll down to the bottom a click register. Give them a fake name and email or whatever. You don't need to buy this software.
Open EasyBSD, click Edit Boot Menu. Uncheck windows as default and check Ubuntu. Click on the Ubuntu entry and then the Up button to move it above windows.

Also remember to save settings. and *BCD

>Then in the forward-zone forward everything (name: "*.*") to a forward-addr: of 9.9.9.9@853
>the guide said to make it 127.0.0.1@40
jesus fucking christ.... any particular use flags I should enable? dnstap, gost, libressl, python..?

>no music notifications
what do

Can't I make a .cfg for grub to boot to windows with just the partition direction? it's retarded you have to make so many 'hints' to grub to actually find something you already know is there (search by UUID, drive partition hd0, n etc). Or I am too stupid still to understand? I understand the fact that you have to specify MBR or EFI and the actual location of the file though.
Just installed arch Linux from the wiki yesterday I'm tired lol. I already did it with UUIDs though, just wondering.

Oh my god it just keeps fucking crashing.. no log.. god damn man, i give up, fuck this

HEYYYY IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot senpai!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone send me a guide to rice my arch linoox? I like i3 but it looks ugly af though, I can't even figure out how to put a wallpaper or activate transparency. I installed a composer I don't recall what is called but nothing changed. I'd like that there was some space between the windows to feel like I can just clean the screen for a while lol, I guess I'm retarded. I like the using terminal teditor thing to fix things but the terminal is still so unreadable (urxvt can't find the cfg to change transparency or color), the font is too small (96dpi suposedly 15.6'' 1080p 16:9). I want to believe is because I haven't setup actual good drivers for the graphics

There's no such thing as a one-guide-fits-all, if you want gaps install i3-gaps, if you want to fix urxvt read up on its wiki page, etc.

Not same user. I think you are a girl.
No offense, friendly guess. Confirmation?
Lots of things to fix, I'm still half the way there. I was even scared of compiling something because I never thought there was something as intuitive as this distribution to learn. Thanks Jow Forums. I guess after this I will try gentoo. Is there a limit for primary partitions? I can't delete windows because my sister has to use it sometimes.

ExFAT transfer guy from the last thread. I carefully removed the 8TB from its case and installed it internally. System will not post with it installed. Post error code refers to a drive problem.
Checking the reviews and Q&A it seems this is a common problem with this drive as per amazon.
"Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB8000100)"
I guess its some kind of firmware limitation with this model. Maybe it has something to do with the linux transfer rate?

Attached: MeIRL.jpg (800x533, 71K)

Not that user but maybe try installing grub again. Maybe something went wrong with grub's installation

Getting
do_IRQ: no irq handler for vector
usb-port: over-current condition

at boot. Should I be worried?

So I heard you guys rebind your Caps Lock key to Escape.

Vim people like escape, some other folks use it for ctrl. I think you can make it an extra bucky bit too, which the Emacs crowd probably has a use for. But pretty much anything you bind it to will be more useful than the capslock function.

I swapped them. Capslock is brain damaged in its regular position.

Inching my way towards GPU passthrough. Real fucking close right now.

Struggling with the error 43 in the guest because nvidia is a bunch of jews, I guess. I've appended
to it, but with no luck. Do I need to reinstall drivers or the guest to get this to work?

Attached: 1361457561628.jpg (600x450, 218K)

>GPU passthrough
>novideo
The absolute madman.

i've had usb drives die on me before. you're describing what happened to me. it's dead jim. last time a usb drive died it was after the power company installed new meters which resulted in a hard power off.

Fuck nvidia, honestly. I'll probably never buy any of their products again as long as I live.

Works just fine after placing it back in the enclosure though, also passed SMART etc.

still slow only under linux though :/

By using a diffrent theme.

bucky bit?

See a lot of games that say they run on Linux, but then only name off Ubuntu. Does this mean the game will only run off Debian based distros? It won't run on distros like Arch or Fedora?

Attached: 1483861971115.jpg (343x354, 26K)

They probably will, just get all the libs and dependencies.

well fugg :DD

So ends my attempt to install Gentoo. Thankfully only in a VM. I fucked up the kernel configuration somehow, didn't I?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-12_01-35-40.png (1918x1004, 385K)

So essentially it shouldn't matter? Just how the package manager handles things when installing?

control, alt, and so on. keys that modify other keys.

It basically means they only test for ubuntu, if you are using GNU/Linux already, you should be able to figure out how to run it on any distro

Being able to make a game "for X distro" is nothing more than a way to please companies. When they complain about there being tons of distros we just tell them "well then develop for Ubuntu or SteamOS".
Because in actuality it doesn't matter. Worst case scenario you have to add some simple environment variable to the launch command or install a missing library.

Barring some very unusual case I might not be aware of, basically any game that works on one distro can be made to work on any. Usually with little to no effort. Especially steam games since most of them use the steam runtime libraries.

Ah nice nice. Thanks for the info. Didn't want to go and change distros, even though I'm thinking about it anyways, just because of that. Or rather didn't want to be forced to use a debian based distro.

Speaking of which has anyone used SteamOS here?

are you using Arch?
no

SteamOS is literally Debian except with proprietary software preinstalled.

I came across one issue where the library file wasn't in the same place Ubuntu put it or wasn't named the same. So it couldn't call it. But this doesn't apply to steam games

No. Why?

Yeah but is it cool?

What did you do to fix it? Just put it in the same place Ubuntu did and renamed it?

Some games have folder called include where it is installed. You put the required file in there. So game/include/required.so

fedora then

>spend 2 hours reading and configuring my custom kernel
>go over to the exit button and click it
>it didn't write a config file
>exiting by pressing ESC twice makes it write a config file
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY FUCK THIS AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1.png (858x725, 361K)

Why does my computer/CPU buzz when using Linux but not when using Windows?

Disabling all but the C1 c-state of the CPU removes all buzzing. Does this mean Windows disables them by default?

>clicking buttons
There's your problem.

Ah okay. Thanks.

I might test it out. Thanks.

well I fixed it, apparently I didn't put in the virtio drivers. wonder what other landmines I left for myself

>menuconfig
Load / Save an Alternate Configuration File

no, I assumed that you're using fedora, not encouraging you to use it

You can always make a steamos chroot, might have a bit of a mare using the hosts graphics, but I'm sure its possible.

All you have to do to fix it is tell it where the library actually is.
>LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/library.so
You can also use LD_LIBRARY_PATH. You shouldn't have to move or copy libraries around.

Also you're being more paranoid than you need to. 95% of games are going to "just work" if you're using a distro that's at least somewhat mainstream. Of the remaining 5% or so times that it fails 4 out of 5 times you can just google it and the solution will be right there. So that leaves about 1% of the time where you can't get it working.
Then it's time to just go and join your distros forum or IRC and ask there and you'll almost always get the answer.

Getting games to work is not rocket science.

>Disabling all but the C1 c-state of the CPU removes all buzzing.
Haha, wtf?

Can anyone recommend a program to normalize the volume of my audio collection? Its a relatively large collection so I would like a program that does it in bulk.

Attached: fake_card___darkly_big_rabbi_by_gaaraxhinata6666.jpg (728x1041, 481K)

Ffmpeg ebur128