Why is BSD so "specific"...

Why is BSD so "specific"? They all seem to have and enjoy some forms of foundations where they talk more about CoC than about funding the shit itself and while Linux kernel is developed through mailing list, BSD fags actually meet irl like some dirty normies and every BSD fork group hates the other fork, every project leader thinks he is the mastermind who things only he knows he can do the things correct way and hates everyone else. Why is BSD dev community such a huge circus compared to Linux dev community?

Attached: 1200px-OpenBSD_Logo_-_Cartoon_Puffy_with_textual_logo_below.svg.png (1200x781, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

Do you dedicate your life on posting this on every openbsd thread or something?

At least he's more useful than the Stallman posters.

because Linux is developed by corporations

>shitposting about x is more useful than shitposting about y

OpenBSD development happens on mailing lists (openbsd-tech and openbsd-ports).
They were the first open source project in history to do so! That's why they're called OpenBSD. Before that, development was not done in the open; people simply published the .tar.gz of the final products when they were done. They were the first to publish their CVS repository online.

OpenBSD has no code of conduct. In fact, their semi-official motto is "shut up and hack".

Same with NetBSD and DragonFly; they're just doing coding without bothering anyone.

The drama queens of the BSD world are the FreeBSD people.

Attached: c2k2.gif (600x246, 35K)

>Same with NetBSD and DragonFly; they're just doing coding without bothering anyone.
Fucking comfy

Ignore that butthurt freeBSD cuck. He is paid shill by the foundation.

kys lol

Give me 5 good reasons to use openbsd over netbsd

netbsd is pain to install, i dont know if openbsd is the same

OpenBSD is one of the easiest installs ever.

Partitioning is a bit weird but it's legit one of the fastest installs you'll ever do. Just answer a few questions and you're done.

Will install it tonight then.

Remember that OpenBSD doesn't ship with nonfree firmware so if your wifi card requires that drop it into a flash drive and then install manually

You don't really need to change the default partitioning.

The only bit that is not completely automated is setting up full disk encryption. Otherwise I can install or upgrade OpenBSD while being drunk.

Perfect OS for a simple httpd or smtpd / dovecot server. As desktop OS too slow for me, sorry.

Developers of NetBSD, DragonflyBSD and OpenBSD are gems indeed.

Though I found it way easier than on any Linux distro. Only thing some people might not like is to have to manually decrypt on boot (or at least create a little script on rc.local).

>You don't really need to change the default partitioning.
Wrong. The partitions aren't large enough to compile the OS, by default. I think most of the partitions should at least be doubled.

Why would you use a separate partition for everything

home partition for example would mean I can reinstall the OS but have all my user files not be destroyed

I think he probably meant the partitioning scheme, in which case I would agree that beginners should stick with the default partition layout and leave some empty space to change it later if they want to.

I literally spent less than a minute to find this:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

Look the first section.