Is there anything inherently wrong with using node for CLI tools and scripts?

Is there anything inherently wrong with using node for CLI tools and scripts?
Bash is a real nuisance when it comes to something more complex than few commands and ifs. Especially when you have arrays and want to do some operations on them.
I don't know Python and I see no reason to learn it, and JS just works.

Attached: 6a7967d9c8.png (541x86, 11K)

Just use python

Nope its alright, but remember the target maschine need node installed otherwise nothing will work, thats the bash advantage

Lrn2bash then faggot. You're not as good as you think you are at programming if you find bash to be "a real nuisance" while solving brainlet level problems

But I would have to learn it. Is there any advantage of python for tools/scripts that just fetch some data, manipulate images, do some filesystem operations and stuff?

Yeah I know. I use it mostly on my desktop anyway. Eg. I'm making puush.me client at this moment.

>Is there any advantage of python for tools/scripts that just fetch some data
python comes with most distros by default but if you'd have to learn then stick with js. if you have few hours to spare learn python. it's really fucking simple and powerful if a bit slow. there's a package for literally anything.

it's like splicing wires with duct tape and a pocket knife instead of a soldering iron and heatshrink. Does it work? Yes. But it's also an ugly bodge job that will offend the sensibilities of anyone with taste.

The syntax is killing me. Whole bash scripting feels like ugly hack on shell by design.

Well, I use Arch on my computer and development servers, so it's not much of a help. And there are packages for everything on npm too.

>is there anything wrong with using js
I mean, you already answered your own question.

If it's for personal use sure, it's your choice to have node installed in everything. If I were to find out a terminal program I use runs on javascript, id get rid of it in a heartbeat because I hate the language so fucking much

Yeah, node is massive. Use a runtime that is not a burden to install or port. Like mruby, lua or duktape

Seems unreasonable.

Seems reasonable.
I forgot about Lua, I haven't used it in years. I even have some Lua scripts here and there.
But are Lua packages even close to what npm and python can offer?

Lua has very few packages in comparison. But you can use the FFI and call native system functions.

>server
>Arch
do sudo pacman -Syu

Basically if it's for your own use them you can use .NET cli applications for all anyone cares. If you can make it work well and it suits you, go right ahead. That said might I point you to zsh which has good array syntax (and other improvements).

If you intend to distribute it to others please keep it to stuff that's usually installed on a typical distro. For instance, while I have personal zsh scripts, I stick to POSIX shell for anything that someone else might want to use. Look at it this way: I'm not gonna install the entirety of npm just to use one script. Instead I'll find or make an alternative.
So POSIX shell, Python, Perl are good starting points.

>bash
use posix shell instead

>not yaourt -Syyu

Attached: 1495221756023.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

>yaourt
>not trizen

>posix shell
use assembly language i stead

>trizen
>not aura
pleb

>POSIX shell
>compatible with practically everything, except windows's cmd and possibly some really snowflake stuff like Haiku
>assembly
>literally only compatible with one architecture
How is that a logical next step

Who are you? My mom?
Fuck off!

Attached: 1509127350293.jpg (540x635, 124K)

I update it when I update my desktop, every week or two.
40 packages to update at this moment.

I'll check this out. I use zsh as main shell, but didn't knew it had some improvements in scripts.
I don't distribute these to anyone. It's mostly for fetching data from my own services or bots etc.

>yaourt -Syyu
>not yaourt -Syyua
I actually broke my X this way. I updated fontconfig(?) to new mayor version, but had some configs from AUR which weren't compatible with new version.

Python with subprocess imported and python & bash dreamy

>But I would have to learn it.

kid, if you can use bash you can use Python. It's a psedu-language.