So I installed pfSense and appear to have my own LAN

So I installed pfSense and appear to have my own LAN.

Now what?

Attached: index.png (373x135, 3K)

1. Put your router in your ass
2. Yell "ganoo for lyfe"
3. ???
4.kys

I'd like to learn to use the common practical features of it, but don't really have an idea of what that might be. Packet filtering? Load balancing? VLAN setup?

What are some real-life scenarios that would make me leverage what's offered by pfSense?

You can replicate a big network with it.

what do you mean by "big network"?

A network of a big company. 1000+ devices on one location. For lab purposes.
Or you can add extra security to your router.

how would i go about simulating such a network?

Virtual serve, virtual PCs and some virtual routers.

what's the most lightweight Unix-like OS I can put on the virtual PCs?

What are you planning on doing with it? I have been using PFsense for my router for a few years now and use it for virtual routers in my lab. PFsense is very very very versatile and very very powerful.

I wish to enter the networking industry and would simply like some ideas of what I could do with it now that I have it set up. I realise it's a tool and one can't simply "learn it" without any concrete objectives, so I'm looking for examples of such objectives. Simulating a large network with VLANS, NFS and load balancing seems fun enough. Would a virtual router mean pfSense running in a virtual machine or is this a built in feature of pfSense?

Install pfblockerng and snort or suricata. There are some other good packages you might want too.

>Now what?
Realize that you can't do anything with it because you can't add static routes on your ISP's shitty router, which makes your new LAN unreachable from your existing one. Also realize you're too stupid to properly implement NAT/PAT.

Shitpost on Jow Forums apparently

nigger I'm perfectly happy with having a LAN that's completely separate from the existing one, since the whole point is to allow me to fuck around with it without affecting my whole house.

What are some interesting daemons/services for pfSense/home networks? Curious if there's some neat obscure tools. I can't really imagine anything other an IDS, maybe a few proxies and a firewall though.

freeradius for WPA2 Enterprise.

>not doing it in production
Faggot

yes, putting pfSense behind "ISP's shitty router" is something that would totally happen in production.

also,
>being employed

You know, like CBS or NBC.
Not that small time shit like AMC.

i'm sure someone out there finds you funny

Is Squid Cache still useful in modern times? I heard it can be a pain in the ass to configure. A lot of content on the web is dynamic on top of being HTTPS.

Attached: pfSense.jpg (474x474, 16K)

pfblocker is pretty comfy. thanks.

Bump for interest

you research this stuff BEFORE you set it up

Now redo everything and connect it to your WAN

I have one of these (pci card with rj11 port) from a very old computer and I also have an DSL connection to my home
I would love to run pfsense on it but my old desktop consumes way too much power
Is there way to attach this shit to a notebook or raspi?

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x225, 8K)