HP Z400

Hey Jow Forumsuys,
The IT guy from work offered me an older computer that the company was tossing. It's an HP Z400. He said thought maybe I can use some of the components but that the comp works.

When I opened it up, it had 12 gigs of ram and a Nvidia Quadro gpu.
Basically I want to get this pc running, but it was just totally wiped.
It has a Windows 7 pro OA license sticker on it.
I tried to download an ISO but apparently because it's an enterprise copy of windows, Microsoft won't let me download it.
What should I do?
Is it even worth it to try and get this computer running, or should I just recycle it?

Attached: SideEdit_1024x1024.jpg (1024x1024, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20180415T214502Z/install-amd64-minimal-20180415T214502Z.iso
computerworm.net/tag/gold-xp-2016-torrent-download/
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/
hp.com/latam/mx/pyme/workstations/images/z400_datasheet_090811.pdf
tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-z400-workstation,2718-2.html
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677651.iso
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Guts

Attached: 20180611_220456.jpg (2048x1536, 1.39M)

install gentoo

2/2

Attached: 20180611_220504.jpg (2048x1536, 1.6M)

No. Any idea where I can either find a safe ISO download?

OR ideally I could find a download of one of the actual recovery disks for this Z400. But I was looking online and didn't see any download links, only offers from HP to sell me one, and I'm not puting any money into this pc.

Attached: 20180611_220450.jpg (2048x1536, 1.16M)

paying hp for a windows discovery disk...

Attached: 1528391814582.jpg (1122x1114, 95K)

... This is what I'm saying. I'm not going to. I haven't had to reinstall an OS in years. I read digital river no longer works.
So you know where I could get either an iso or a recovery disk that doesn't give sheckles to the kikes at hp?

Attached: 1528747663817m.jpg (444x1024, 54K)

distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20180415T214502Z/install-amd64-minimal-20180415T214502Z.iso

computerworm.net/tag/gold-xp-2016-torrent-download/

For Christ's sake. Someone tell me this thread is bait. Please.

It isn't bait. Was just looking to be directed. What am I missing that is so obvious. The drive is fully formatted with no recovery partitions.

Just install a GNU/Linux distro and enjoy your free computer.

It's not hard to find a safe iso.
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/ and torrent.

But I have a licence key though. Just need an iso

Windows is shit. Don't bother with it.

Thanks for the link. I'll give this a shot when I get home this evening.

I guess I'll ask about the proper Z400 recovery disks one last time, anyone know if its possible to find a download for these or should I just use a clean win7 iso and start fresh without any HP bloat?
I figure the recovery disks would be handy because they would already have the drivers which would save me a lot of time. Any idea where I could maybe find a download of those ?

Attached: 1528493130783.jpg (1000x829, 146K)

What CPU did you get OP.

I'd always go fresh. Starting new isn't going to take long to set up.

I didn't want to take the heatsync off to check. That's why I wanted to boot into Windows to run Cpu Z and hope to find one of the quad core xenons.

if you can't find a proper iso then just give that pc away, you're too stupid. just call it a day

To your knowledge would I have any gaps regarding drivers if I just install all the Hp ones from their product page for the Z400 workstation? Idk if there would be any drivers from the individual manufactures that I would need.
Also, would I have to go install one driver at a time, or could I find some kind of pack for this pc which will include all the core drivers? Sorry if That's a stupid question.

I can do it though! But yah I know I'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers. I'm trying to learn though.

Windows 7 and later will do it all for you. I can't see why you'd need HP's ones. You won't need them. I'd only go to their site if anything didn't work.

I just remembered another link for you. If you have problems with the torrents.

the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/

Plenty there to get you going. Have fun later.

use it as a linux server ffs
why recycle a working system.. :S

I've never played computer games before, as I've never really had a computer capable of it. I was thinking this could be a viable pc with an upgraded gpu perhaps. But I guess that depends on if its a quad-core or not.

Attached: 1526527875177.jpg (1508x892, 146K)

>Any idea where I can either find a safe ISO download?
MICROSOFT, you dumb motherfucker. google "windows iso download"

I won't get rid of it! Just got to get it running.
I have a pretty ancient desktop at home that doesn't get much use for anything. But this would give me more capabilities so I would like to get it running and potentially start upgrading. I never built a pc because I didn't like the idea of buying all of the components separately. But this simplifies things if I can just upgrade one component at a time kind of thing.

THAT DOESNT FUCKING WORK BECAUSE THIS WAS AN ENTERPRISE LISENCE YOU FUCK. I already wrote that earlier. Microsoft redirects you to go ask your respective manufacturer for the iso which is retarded.

who the fuck cares, you dumb nigger. just crack the windows install

>download iso from microsoft
>install windows 10 pro without key
>install kmspico
WOW, that was hard

I need a Pro OA update to crack.
The Microsoft site doesn't let me download any ISOs. But I will try the link user posted earlier for the mirrored site and see if that works.

B-but I thought you guys said W10 is botnet... So wouldn't Windows 7 pro be better?

Also wouldn't Windows 7 run faster on here since this system was designed for it?

>install gentoo

Ya ino.
Forgot to include inb4

Well I never really considered Windows 10.
Should I go W10 or W7? Which is faster? It W10 as botnet cancer as everyone here says? If so, even the pro versions?

7 and 10 are both botnet.

Ugh. So which should I go with them. Last I heard W10 neuters what you can do the the pc (similarly to apple) is this true? I have never used W10 in depth or for long periods of time before.

>Also wouldn't Windows 7 run faster on here since this system was designed for it?

what dumb logic is this?

install gentoo

It doesn't do much different from 7. It just forces updates. Otherwise they're both very similar and are awful choices for your computer.

underage retards out
"it guy from work" more like you found it in the dumpster at middle school

kill yourself

When newer versions of Android come out and get installed on older phones they run much slower because there are increased background processes running etc that is designed around the computing capabilities of the NEW top of the line devices. What kind of dumb (((logic))) are you using ?

Kys nigger. I don't spend much time playing around with computers.

Attached: 20180612_121622.jpg (2048x1536, 852K)

Does it force updates even on the pro versions ? Is there still no way to have this disabled?

fuck off reddit, you have and as your personal support

MODS

No, you can't disable it as of the last update. The only thing the "pro" version adds is bloat.

>HP Z400
hp.com/latam/mx/pyme/workstations/images/z400_datasheet_090811.pdf
six cores are also possible

>The only thing the "pro" version adds is bloat.
Seems counter intuitive but thanks for the info

>Seems counter intuitive
Welcome to marketing.

I noticed this possible config while looking through some of the manuals. I'm not hopeful it has it already but I was thinking, I remember a while ago I saw a youtuber talking about using Xeon pc's as a budget built foundation, so even if it isn't a 6 core, maybe I can pick one up for super cheap? Given that a lot of the companies who had ordered stacks of these are phasing them out, so they are essentially flooding the market. Also provided the mobo supports the 6core model I guess but that would be really helpful for video editing I think.

Unfortunately so

go to sqt next time
Look up OEM SLP SLIC if you have problems

You can also install windows 10, input that product key and it won't give you any hassle.

this, op.
install gentoo on that thing.

>go to sqt next time
Will do and thanks, I will try this tonight.

You're welcome. Don't mind the other fa/g/gots on this board. You're welcome here.

android phones are underpowered, you idiot. cpu speed barely went up in the last 10 years. what are you smoking?

Appreciate it. Tbqh I spend a lot of time on Jow Forums but am usually in the watch threads. I'm trying to learn enough about computers to become properly self sufficient. So I guess I need to learn everything properly only before I am good to go on my own in the future. Never been my area of expertise
t. Structural engineer.

Is there anyone here that uses a Z400 still?
If so, how is it configured, and what are you using it for?

Attached: 1526198786431.jpg (480x640, 99K)

We have tons of Z400s at work, usually with 12/16 gigs of RAM and a quad-core Xeon
GPUs are pretty shit tho

>GPUs are pretty shit tho
This is what i was thinking of swapping out.
The main thing I'm wondering though, is how nice of a graphics card can I pair with this system before the CPU starts to become the bottleneck.
Is there anyone here who is experienced enough to try postulating that?
Assuming it's a quad core xeon, would a 1050ti be bottle necked bc of the cpu, how about a 1070ti?

If the cpu won't be a bottle neck, then I would get a nice GPU and SSD and make this my primary PC.
I'm using a quad-core i7 laptop as my primary home computer right now, but this obviously gives me more flexibility in terms of upgradability in the future.

Install OpenSUSE Linux Thumbleweed

Well buddy, the GPU is not the problem, it's the power supply you should be worring about. It usually is only 300 Watts and a modern GPU needs more, also, you won't have enough molexes.

Kind Regards,

A guy who supports a CAD - Team in a large steelmill

Ow and don't try to use another power supply, the HP motherboard has a custom connector

Christ's sake what's the point of such kikery? Fucking nonstandard bullshit.

This is the stock power supply which is 450 Watts and 85% efficient, if I am understanding correctly. tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-z400-workstation,2718-2.html

Once I figure out for certain what cpu it is, how should I go about determing if the power supply is adequate for a 1070ti and/or if the cpu will be a bottle neck for it. And this computer was used by one of our designers, primarily running Microstation.

Boot Ubuntu from USB drive and do cat /proc/cpuinfo to see which cpu it is

the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/en_windows_7_enterprise_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677651.iso

there u go

Attached: 1527370725834.png (557x647, 614K)

This is a good idea. I wanted to make a usb with bootable Ubuntu a while ago but couldn't determine a practical reason why... This is a great reason to have one around. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Rajesh Petel, will look at when I get home.

kek, top tier bait

Go here and download Windows 7 Professional x64. Install it to a USB drive or burn it to a disc if you want to waste a dsic.

>Is it even worth it to try and get this computer running, or should I just recycle it?

Don't even think about recycling it. This is still a very powerful and current PC.

I bet it has a Xeon X5650 in it and that is a good hex core CPU. The Quadro 2000 is also a fine GPU for a lot of things, but quite old at this point. It will let play Xbox 360-tier pc games, and perhaps a bit beyond. Many modern PC games that will run on low-spec integrated graphics will run fine on it.

Install Windows. Replace the GPU with a GTX 960 or a GTX 1050 ti or some other cheaper GPU. And enjoy. It will make a fine desktop PC and be able to do anything you want with it.

>The main thing I'm wondering though, is how nice of a graphics card can I pair with this system before the CPU starts to become the bottleneck.
It depends on what CPU it has in it. If it is a 2.5ghz or better hex core then even a GTX 980 or 1060 will not be bottlenecked depending on the application.

How would you tell what model cpu it is without removing the heatsync. It doesn't boot into any bios screen. Pic related.

Attached: 20180608_175702.jpg (4160x3120, 2.94M)

Lol how does it feel being autistic, op?

Thanks m8, this is the plan. I will see if I can find a nice cheap graphics card to pair with it. My fingers are crossed its a quad core. I have a 500gB western digital blue SSD in the mail at the moment. I think it has potential to be a decent little system.

It is probably displaying the splash screen. Try pressing Escape, Delete, F1, F2, or some other keys during boot up when the HP logo is being displayed.

I own an HP Z800 which is the bigger brother to this PC. I can help you with a lot of the settings. I think you can press escape during boot to temporarily disable the splash screen, and then it is either F2 or Delete to enter the bios. From there you can disable the splash screen entirely and change your boot order.

oh man, you really know how to make me laugh! really good shit

Awesome, I will be home in 40 mins, I will try this then. Have you ran into any compatibility issues with your Z800 due to proprietary components?

I looked it up, it's F10 on the Z400 to access the BIOS during boot.

You could also play old PC games.

Kys. This is my first time working with a wiped PC, so I'm learning for next time. You must have had to learn this your first time through, faggot. Why do you feel the need to be such a dickhead to people who are trying to learn to be competent in a field they are not familiar with.

hail satan

Get Windows 7 Loader (google it)

Get Windows 7 ISO Media Refresh generic ISO
ultimate 64bit: X17-59465.iso
pro 64bit: X17-59186.iso

Install without a key, and then run the Windows 7 loader. It will substitute out retail/generic key to use an OEM key - not the loader unless it doesn't detect your BIOS, which shouldn't be a problem for you.

You are very lucky, user. That heat sink is the HP high performance heat sink, so that means it has a fast and power-hungry CPU in it. Perhaps a Xeon X5680 or X5690. So you will probably not need to replace the CPU.

Attached: 81SdEs38tFL._SY450_[1].jpg (367x450, 33K)

Thank you user

Hopefully with a new budget GPU I can try some modern titles with medium settings. I've wanted to try pubg / Fortnite. A few guys at work play and talk about it often.
I primarily do video editing so I think this will be a welcome upgrade to my overstressed laptop.

compare to the normal heat sink

Attached: $_10[1].jpg (700x672, 59K)

Z400 will still get the job done.
Download Windows 10 media creation too and just enter your 7 key.
1070 Ti is probably pushing it for a 450W PSU. I've had a 970 and a 1060 running on a Dell 420W PSU, but a 1070 Ti is quite a bit above either of those. It may work (Anandtech has it maxing out at 333W system draw) but I personally wouldn't try more than a 1070.

>Hopefully with a new budget GPU I can try some modern titles with medium settings.
You can raise your expectations. With a GTX 1060 6gb you can expect very high and ultra on most titles. Of course, opinions vary on what is "budget".

How can someone be this hellbent on installing windows 7?

I'm hoping so user. Quite excited the more I think about it. I've been wanting a decent desktop for a while.

May be getting a little far ahead of myself, but does anyone know if overclocking would be possible with a stock HP mobo and Xeon combo? Not sure if oclocking xeons is possible, let alone with a stock workstation mobo.

First time fren, and I autistically want to do it properly so I can take a system image and use this as a default restart point in case I accidentally fuck something up in the future with it.

Looks like quite a difference.
Thanks for the info. Will look around a 1060 then or so.
I'm not so concerned about a budget, I just want to make sure I'm getting good value for the parts I pair with it.

That's pretty surprising. I was under the impression a lot more money was required for a computer capable of high setting in modern games.

glad I had this piece of trash replaced last week
toss it, OP

Hi satan, I have case from this piece of shit as my main case, It sucks, is heavy as fuck and stuff, yo

Sorry. I seriously thought you were baiting.

The IT guy at work told me it has proprietary mounting locations for the HP mobo. Did you have to modify the case to use a different mobo in it?
How did you learn, or how would you recommend learning.
99 percent of the search results or other threads on these issues is just come Rakesh reccomending to call the customer support.

>I tried to download an ISO but apparently because it's an enterprise copy of windows, Microsoft won't let me download it.

A guy named Generation2 on piratebay has a bunch of pre-activated Windows ISOs. Use an application called Rufus to make an install USB or burn one to disc.

Attached: windows 10 ltsb piratebay.png (1128x938, 144K)

Xeons don't overclock and that fan wouldn't be enough if they did.

It's the native operating system for the Z400. He'll get best performance from it.