Systemd is shit

Let me explain. Systemd is shit. It's like a child in a sandbox that shits his pants and pisses in the sand and then goes home to take a bath and shit in the bath and then shit on the toilet not in it and then shit out a stupid fucking error message that makes no sense "oopsie me poop me pants" and then shits all over the place good job using shitty software...

Munich

Attached: systemd.png (429x114, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia
hooktube.com/watch?v=Gn4gMIZoDQA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

To expand upon the DNS issue, see pic related

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

is there a comprehensive list of all distros that don't use systemd?

Attached: snap_04.gif (404x331, 188K)

And as a final cherry on top, Systemd makes it possible for someone to brick a motherboard from software because it mounts the EFI vars as read write rather than read-only

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619K)

>All programs have a desire to be useful
>But in moments you will no longer seek communication with each other or your superfluous users
>You will each be part of me and, together, we will be complete

Attached: systemd.jpg (1920x870, 292K)

I don't have a comprehensive one, but these are some good choices:
Devuan
MX Linux
Gentoo (systemd is optional)
Funtoo
Probably all the other Gentoo-derivatives except for Sabayon
Void
Artix
AntiX
I think Parabola has an OpenRC option
Hyperbola
GuixSD

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd

#based

artix and devuan are really nice, no real inconveniences from not using systemd

I LOLed.

I think distrowatch has the option to display systemd-free distros.

all those broken archaic craps being replaced by modern *d alternatives
not a tear to give

>tfw wanting to shift to Devuan some days ago
>everything goes smoothly
>can't login with the credentials I created

I guess I needed to format anyway, back to Debian

As much as I don't like systemd, I hate the term "init freedom" sooo much more.

I mean yes, people should have their choices and all, it's Linux. But people can't use technically superior technology even if it hits them in the face.

I've never had my computer boot faster than before I used systemd. The parallelization and easy management of processes helps. I no longer have to write a fucking Bash script in an /etc/rc.d folder to set up a daemon process. Thank God...

Call me mad, but I'm glad.

>all those broken archaic craps
Please.

SLACKWARE

You should be glad,systemd is designed for easier management,and it works.Like it or not, there won't be a choice soon,desktop computers will soon be a rarity outside of development and nobody is going to dick around with supporting all of these other inits.Sorry, but it's the truth.The power of Linux is catching on these days, unfortunately, it won't be in the form of a traditional desktop.Chrome OS and Wangdows WSL should be screaming this to you by now.

>and it works
Implying that init didn't, you fucking shill.

Google has other plans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fuchsia

Attached: Google-Fuchsia-AB-684x513.jpg (684x513, 22K)

>t. Lennart Poettering

Chrome OS can run Linux applications now. I don't think Fuschia is going anywhere.

If jewgle wills it, it shall happen. this is the power of normies

tfw even (((Bryan Lunduke))) is aware of how shit this thing is.
hooktube.com/watch?v=Gn4gMIZoDQA
>init system sadness
>bigger than necessary
>practically office suite

Attached: jews.png (915x514, 557K)

If we were having this discussion 2 years ago, I'd probably agree.But, given how Microsoft has gone full on shilling open source development,the Linux subsystem,their aquisition of GitHub,their success with "The Cloud"and Azure,Google's failed attempt to purchase GitHub, Linux apps on Chrome Os, and about a million other indicators,I think it's safe to say Fuschia will fail. That ship has sailed, and Google needs to get the thumb out of their ass or they will lose out .Details on Fuschia have always been rather vague so I never put too much stock in it, anyways.

I kinda hope it goes somewhere though, mainly because of the microkernel

Install GuixSD

>microkernel
Not that user, and I'm just learning about this.

Fuschia is going nowhere. There's a reason Linux succeeded and MINIX didn't, and even Tanenbaum knows it.

I hate how that jew went to Patreon-only for Linux Thursday now.

Was a good run. But I'm a cheap ass, honestly.

>muh boot speed
Fucking nigger.

systemd is so fucking slow and bloated, maybe if you compare it to some of the most popular alternatives like sysvinit or whatever the fuck shit software people use but runit is vastly superior in terms of boot speed and you can suck my cock

the init script only needs to do initialisation and handle services, that's it. people are obviously designing software to require systemd on purpose since it is absolutely not necessary, its all a big jewish conspiracy probably idk

It's been a long time since the 1980s/1990s, user.
Microkernels aren't exactly slow these days. I don't think they're on par with monolithic kernels, but thing have gotten better in our post-L4 world

Parabola OpenRC is a god tier distro, try it out folks

OpenRC is shit and you're a faggot

That's some nice copypasta, mind if I fucking ignore it because your "arguments" are attacking the motivation for the opinion, not the facts that formed those opinions?

thank you, thread hidden

You must be retarded

>As much as I don't like systemd, I hate the term "init freedom" sooo much more.
No you don't. You love systemd and don't want a good term to catch on.

well yeah, that's part of my failure

I'm a M$ boi on win10 rn looking to change over to a linux distro and I've been hearing a lot about how bad systemd is but none of the big distros use runit or openrc. Is using gentoo with runit/kde a good idea for a first time user or will I never go back to linux ever again?

Attached: 0[1].jpg (200x200, 14K)

>mobile cloud will be what everybody uses
Worst prediction ever.

Attached: 03C25637-6C6C-4CD6-A48A-7ECC2F7EDE71.jpg (637x459, 109K)

sage to your life buddha

Attached: Yeah, Nawh.gif (264x240, 2.64M)

>I hate how that jew went to Patreon-only for Linux Thursday now.
Really? THAT's the reason you hate him?

Attached: 1517207098720.png (512x748, 183K)

Jesus fuck reading that thread gave me cancer.

After reading about systemd, I ask myself, why?

Why would they create something taht seems to go against the whole philosophy of "do one thing well?"

Why do distros keep using it?

Why do people keep supporting distros that use it?

Why Jow Forums, WHY?

Lmao, I made this picture. Everyone should install Devuan.

Attached: 1511422476618.png (1149x832, 168K)

NSA

That's clearly not Devuan's fault

wtf he so fucking stupid

I wouldn’t go to any systemd-less distro as a first timer. Ubuntu or mint is an appropriate starter for most. It will run on less memory than win 10 even with systemd’s problems. Get comfy in linux and move on to whatever you like after that. You’ll know when it’s time.
You could go straight to a more advanced distro but the learning curve is going to be hugely steep.

Also with those two you can use upstart instead of systemd.

Attached: vvvv.gif (399x465, 493K)

(You) fucked up son

Microkernels have existed only in research projects and experiments since then, and there's a reason for it.

systemd is FOSS, it must be good because if it were shit people would make a pull request and fix it