/bsd/ - BSD General

In today's news, Warner Losh of the FreeBSD Code of Conduct Committee admits to being the screeching autist at BSDCan. Pic very much related.

youtu.be/UaQpvXSa4X8?t=19m21s
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152883510311011&w=2

===

>OpenBSD
openbsd.org/faq/index.html

>NetBSD
netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/

>DragonFly BSD
dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/

Discuss.

Attached: warnerlosh.png (1940x2670, 511K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rumpkernel.org/
pay.reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/8qhm9n/disappointed_in_freebsd_coc/
docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=84526 0 archive/1996/freebsd-hackers/19961020.freebsd-hackers
mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1996/10/20/0004.html
twitter.com/bsdcan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification
openbsd.org/papers/pruning.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_E873DaCLN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>cuck license

I use freebsd please no bully

Wow, it's real.

>FreeBSD

Attached: image.jpg (1241x1123, 248K)

>Please disregard the "real talk" and substitute it with this pandering,yellow bellied,canned apology.
Grow some balls,faggot.Stand up for yourself.This type of slimy behavior is what is destroying the world,not the infrequent over the top outbursts.

I remember seeing one of NetBSD or FireflyBSD to experiment with microkernel some time ago. Im I making fake memories or anyone has info on that?

NetBSD
rumpkernel.org/

What a fucking shittery is this?
There is no way imp would have wrote it by himself, let alone acknowledge it without being forced by foundation after received bad PR.
Oh wait, he works at NetFlix.

>le cuck license meme
Fuck off, Zhang.

Attached: 1433458186920.jpg (501x585, 119K)

The 'code of conduct' is (literally) the textbook way that SJW faggots infect an organization. If you haven't already, its time to cut ties with this group.

Attached: SEX.jpg (700x498, 54K)

FreeBSD has a serious image problem.

the only reason he didn't get punished is because theo is a white male

>This type of slimy behavior is what is destroying the world
Here, here. And here's wishing n-fold more interpret it for exactly wat it is.

stop using FreeBSD

Attached: 1498338789808.png (607x488, 322K)

suck my dick white boy before I report you for a CoC violation

>cuck os
*hug*

Dragonfly BSD.
It's not a micro-kernel, but they (in fact, Matt Dillon) have entirely re-designed their kernel to do message-passing concurrency.

also if theo was in a frilly dress while doing this talk, losh would totally have been exiled

The good news is that the FreeBSD CuC committee, of which the abuser is a member, has investigated the incident and found no issue with it

pay.reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/8qhm9n/disappointed_in_freebsd_coc/

>investigated the incident and found no issue with it
>Aggressive language
>Profanity
Set of rules for us and a set of rules for you lot. Par for the course in our sjw riddled and class stratified society. Too bad there's no legal route to take. That little spergpussy will only grow bolder for his outburst going unpunished.

That one time Theo trolled the FreeBSD cucks so hard they wanted to call the US Secret Service

docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=84526 0 archive/1996/freebsd-hackers/19961020.freebsd-hackers

Kek, the UNIX Unabomber, the Unixbomber
Theo de Chad, threatening to email bomb the NetBSD and FreeBSD cucks
mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1996/10/20/0004.html

Fuck reebsd. I recently gave it a shot after abandoning it with the v5 travesty, I heard that 10 was good so I installed 11 and ran it for six months. Then some cucklord decided to purge hitler quotes from the fortune port so I abandoned it again, thankfully before the cuckCoC. Ree in peace reebsd.

xdm/xenodm's theme is such garbage out of the box

Attached: bennocuck.png (822x200, 139K)

Attached: freebsd-meeting.jpg (400x267, 40K)

You can spot Randy Harpie with her aposematic hair, and around which the other developers are gravitating

just look at the bsdcan videos dude

everyone who doesn't use freebsd uses a thinkpad

biggest gathering of macs
twitter.com/bsdcan

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and OpenBSD doesn't support anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
In the CIA triad of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability, availability seems to be the one that's lacking. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

t.

>implying i'd ever use an OS that doesn't like hugs

Works fine on all of my thinkpads.

Don't use it then, cuck. :^)

Attached: smugfish.jpg (236x214, 5K)

A Code of Conduct Committee person is exactly the type of person that would screech in such a way. Pathetic people, every last one.

Its OK, he has got a mac.

What a pussy, open source and onions, not even once.

>aposematic hair
hehe

Attached: yfw.jpg (384x384, 50K)

Attached: benno killed reebsd.jpg (256x256, 12K)

It's default X on freebsd, and cool on OpenBSD.

He violated the CoC and now he will get a CoC up the ass

>Cuck community investigates and exonerates self

>smug sjw faggot
>neckbeard
>receding ponytail
>core team
>unprofessional nickname email address
>doesn't eat dogfood
>undemocratically spends contributor funds on irrelevant CoC consultant
>undemocratically announces it to all

Literally everything wrong with freebsd. I'm in half a mind to fork it verbatim and call it reebsd, and the only differences being the fortunes mod port will have the Hitler quotes reinstated and you don't need to coc to commit.

2nd sperg is down. What about the first one?
Does that person get a pass?

After realizing they have no skills at programming, they have taken up a new hobby which requires full-time investment called social engineering and social wanking.

Attached: 1501829920187.jpg (720x694, 73K)

You have to admit, Theo knows how to trigger those sperglords. His trolling is expert tier.

Attached: MAD.jpg (227x343, 117K)

>t. fellow manchild who can't control said outbursts

Attached: 1527603245811.gif (575x420, 507K)

At this point is anyone still running freebsd? For what reason?

Everyone has moved to OpenBSD.

fpbp

Attached: 1473638775947.png (640x480, 34K)

explain how the bsd license violates any of those 4 freedoms

the various BSD licenses are even FSF-approved except for the very first one

Anybody here have made ports? Can you tell me your experience?

How about working with the init scripts? I always wondered if someone have maintained the init scripts and took notes about his experience. It would be interesting to see.

Tolerated != approved.

Only freeBSD devs abd SJWs desu, most people that use BSD for desktop use it.out of ideology to begin with, servers are all open/net/dragonflyBSD, so every sane person that believes in the UNIX way, proper engineering and keeping things simple, probably left a while ago

you didn't answer the first part

but yes thanks for agreeing that the FSF are leftist zealots

>argue like women
>don't say what you mean
>adversarial pursuit of truth is bad
The code of conduct is just anti male bullshit.

To be fair, if it wasn't for the momentum of Linux and GPL software, BSD would likely have whimpered out totally in the BSD wars. At a minimum, contrast with GPL led to the BSD clause requirements being removed.

Explain yourself.

bump

Attached: 1425428536444.gif (349x348, 1.99M)

>OpenBSD doesn't support anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
I read they are thinking about importing hammer from dragonflybsd.
>this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
Not meaningful for the average desktop user (the default install creates 9 partitions... that was the first thing that attracted me to OpenBSD)

Attached: youreacunt.jpg (1920x1080, 431K)

bump

9front.org

bump

Nvidia drivers

Ports like packages? I have. It's pretty easy on OpenBSD, once you get past the GNU autogarbage your port uses. Just have to fill out a few variables so OpenBSD knows to deal with it.

Nvidia drivers are supplied with macOS.

I prefer using Unix over proprietary garbage.

WOOOO LAD!

Attached: e8b62e6d947ec63f726fe2188becdb2e01083360b4b68a28721c8913799356ab.jpg (1024x721, 117K)

/thread

Fuck that non-free trash. It's just linux-compat wrapped anyway, and now that AMD free drivers are here that nvidiaids can go in the trash where it belongs.

Unix was proprietary you fucking retard.
BSD isn't Unix, it's BSD. Oh and on top if that, unlike BSD, MacOS has an UNIX certificate.

Stop using terms you don't understand.

Don't engage with that chap, but he's wrong. OpenBSD base has X11, CWM, build toolchain, documentation, games and a full suite of network services.

can I run linux programs on bsd

Is bsd actually a operating system? what it openbsd netbsd freebsd are these bsd distributions?

>UNIX certificate.
>Stop using terms you don't understand.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification

>can I run linux programs on bsd

Not the binaries. But many Linux apps are also available on the BSDs.

>Is bsd actually a operating system? what it openbsd netbsd freebsd are these bsd distributions?

They are not exactly distributions. They forked from the same source (the Berkeley Software Distribution) more than 20 years ago. Due to compatible license, they do share code and features on a case-by-case basis, but they are quite distinct operating systems with distinct features and philosophies.

You have OpenBSD that values security, good engineering, simplicity and works for desktop, servers and network devices

You have NetBSD that is more experimental, and focusing on being portable to many exotic architectures, but still usable

DragonFly BSD is even more experimental and aims at developing a sophisticated clustering operating system.

Finally you have FreeBSD, which is trying to be like Linux, Solaris and macOS, but completely failing at that. Use any of those directly, instead of an inferior copy.

thank you

Users massively uninstall FreeBSD.
Nobody knows why.

>chrome dumping core
yep looks like openbsd alright :^)

Attached: toaster.png (972x728, 1.27M)

why sudo instead of doas?

Why ten terminals instead of tmux

>load a huge chunk of solaris into kernel
>lol look we ported zfs mayne

With all the xterms you have open on every single virtual desktop, i'd honestly take the 2 minutes you need to learn how tmux works

LoL

openbsd.org/papers/pruning.html

>keeping the games
Based

>rest of the clip and better audio
youtube.com/watch?v=_E873DaCLN4

not sure what doas is
was just reading about tmux earlier today, was thinking it sounded useful
hmmm

Protip: I switched from Windows to Lubuntu in early 2016

you can man doas and it'll make sense. just a user changing program that follows rules in doas.conf (man that too) ie "permit persist keepenv :wheel" for every user in the wheel group to doas as whoever they want. very simple. you might consider it given the historical sudo vulnerabilities.

well, tmux saves lives
For example, here's mine having 8 different stuff open
Not using openBSD on this laptop though
Doas is just what it says, do as. its more secure than sudo

Attached: 2018-06-13-154948_2160x1440_scrot.png (2160x1440, 3.51M)

are you guys going to try trueOS when they fork freebsd?

They already did

doas is the OpenBSD equivalent of sudo, basically. But it's simpler and more secure.

tmux is a way to break your terminal into multiple "screens". It's also a way to save a session (very useful when you log into a server).

You just type: tmux

And you're in a tmux session.

Now you can do your shit, edit files, and so on. Type CTRL+B then D and your session is detached. You can actually log out of SSH, etc.

Next time you come back: just type "tmux at" and your session is attached again, and all your shit is still there the way you left it.

It's great when you have complex sessions open (debuggers, etc.)

you can easily replicate an experience you might get using a ide by using a tool like entr with find for instance in a pane. it also persists your session as long as the server is live, making it attractive if x is liable to die/connected to servers.

+1

Can I become freeBSD developer if I'm successful cis white male with two children and a loving wife?

That depends, are you prepared to:
- quit your job so your wife can become the bread winner
- dye your hair purple
- vocally support feminism on twitter and Hacker News
- put your children on HRT and switch their genders
If not, perhaps OpenBSD would be more to your taste.

Attached: freebsdfrau.gif (500x271, 982K)

Daily reminder that only GNU can effectively steal BSD code.