What OS is best? And why?

What OS is best? And why?

Let the hatred begin.

Attached: 1 o-ly1HJGekl0pGc64992Yg.png (590x340, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd
informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Autist alert; You do not need to choose from the ones in the pic. It's just an illustration.

Arch.

Because it simply is the most customisable OS ever.

The GNU operating system because it is free as in freedom.

Attached: 1528857629299.png (3000x2933, 242K)

AmigaOS because you're all faggots

customize systemd

Arch, because it is the most refined GNU/Linux distro.

Windows, that's why most people use it.

No, most people use it because they are tech illiterate.

>implying they don't just use it because it comes preinstalled

>taking the bait

KDE Neon. Latest KDE with stable base and Ubuntu's repos.

Arch is not GNU. You're thinking of Parabola.

Windows, that's why it's the most popular, that's why the entire world runs on it.

Bullshit. Name me something you can do in Arch you can't do in another distro.

Both are GNU/Linux distros.

I use Linux based OS but most people use Windows because it is easy for them and most programs work on it. Most people don't want to spend entire days compiling stuff and coding. If you had a life outside you're computer you would understand.

Solaris because of innovations to OS and systems software:
>SMF
>DTRACE
>ZFS
>Crossbow
>FMA
>comstar
>Zones
>IPMP
>DLMP
The only exciting OS before Solaris in 2005 was Windows server 2000.

every single one of them besides windows is completely irrelevant in the real world, so it's not really a question

Whatever you want.

I don't want systemd can I do that in arch?
Please point me to the documentation.

Dead OS. Enjoy the last release of 11.4. OpenIndiana and Illumos/OpenSolaris are all dead projects. SPARC is pretty much a dead architecture as well. You can thank Oracle for killing a perfectly good platform.

Attached: Sun_Oracle_logo.png (416x259, 7K)

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC

Oracle buying Sun is still the saddest tech acquisition of all time.

All FUD.
Illumos/Opensolaris just released a new release last April.
Oracle is still supporting solaris with updates and it will continue to have point releases till the end of time. The blogosphere is rull of Solaris FUD.

I'm gonna go with Redox, the OS written in Rust

>The GNU operating system
What GNU operating system fren? The userland? Because that's not an OS

It really is. And I really loved their ACL Security settings in UFS/ZFS so you don't have to fuck around with UNIX permission sets and SELinux rules.

>Oracle is still supporting solaris with updates and it will continue to have point releases till the end of time. The blogosphere is rull of Solaris FUD.

I just talked to a few Oracle engineers that came to our datacenter a few weeks ago to do firmware updates and they all confirm the same shit. Solaris is dead. SPARC is dead unless Fujitsu wants to keep supporting it.

Attached: oracle-sparc-m7.png (575x476, 249K)

The one that best suit your needs

>I just talked to a few Oracle engineers that came to our datacenter
Stop with the fud.

What are you on about, Arch and Parabola use the GNU utils. You're thinking of your autistic definition of freedom.

>been confirmed by multiple confirmed engineers within Oracle
>it's FUD

Stop being in denial.

Attached: 1516412230899.jpg (432x600, 47K)

Lets say it is (it isn't) you still have OpenIndiana/illumos.

i dont see Gentoo on there

This is about what YOU think is best. I'm not asking what I need.

Where are the sources that say it's not a dead platform? Oracle even admits that they are focusing more on the x86 market with Oracle Linux because they want to push Oracle Database. They realized how much they were fucking themselves when they built Oracle DB for Red Hat and Red Hat was reaping the benefits of support contracts through RHN/Subscriptions. Oracle Linux was the solution to Larry Ellison's Yacht addiction expenditures.

Thus, there's no reason to keep supporting SPARC and Solaris because they are DEAD platforms. Not worth the investment if no one is going to pay for it. Companies get more benefits from x86/cloud deployments anyways. On-Premise is dying.

Attached: 1493329300271.gif (600x600, 380K)

I like Win10, unironically. Great for development, best for art, the window management seems to have caught up with KDE.

the 11.4 beta.
The service contracts until 2037.
You can still get sparc Iaas from oracle.

Windows because it actually fucking works.

>durrr u can get photoshop running on ganoo linix just install this emulator oh and u have to install microsoft fonts and shit-
Yeayea, heard it all before. I'll just stick with Windows like an adult who values his free time.

Attached: timesink os.png (1660x1940, 265K)

>OpenIndiana and Illumos/OpenSolaris are all dead projects
Samsung bought joyent like a year ago. So I doubt they kill it off. Maybe they'll be able to buy the Oracle branch of solaris when it dies.

No, most people use it because M$ has a monopoly over home computing and users are too tech illiterate to install anything else or fearful because of the tech illiteracy. If an operating system running on the Linux Kernel was shipped with computers instead of Winblows people would use that Linux system instead

>t. docile consumer

macOS because it effortlessly triggers and pisses other people off. Observe.

ur gay

lmao rekt

>t. damn im so l33t i can follow instructions on a wiki page! DOWN WITH THE BOTNET!!111 wait lemme just fill in this google captcha......

Attached: you.jpg (429x245, 56K)

>I'll just stick with Windows like an adult who values his free time.

>be me
>have free time
>put it to use by learning how computers work
>use free software to automate simple tasks
>end up having more free time.

Attached: 2018-02-08-17-57-01-.png (232x218, 8K)

That's a very fair point, unlike the average Jow Forumstard who has such crippling paranoia that they check under the bed for the Google monster before going to sleep.

Why the fuck isn't Android in your image?

Windows 10.

Haiku, because I interactively use a multicore machine.

You can't make me flame, fuck you

Attached: Dumbass bait.png (624x628, 63K)

Maybe he's crazy and runs the GNU kernel (Hurd) too. I mean who really needs sound anyways.

>Arch Linux only has official support forsystemd
>Conflicts everywhere

macOS is the comfiest OS

Trsiquel: It only offer free software, not bloated, based on ubuntu, endorsed by the FSF

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd

>It only offer free software, not bloated, based on ubuntu, endorsed by the FSF
Politics has no place on a technology board.

Well you can do that on Windows too.
Autohotkey is incredibly powerful

MacOS for desktop usage, and RHEL for everything else. Dont mess me with gayntoo shit and other autistic retard unnecessary things. The adults have to work with linux, so.keep calm kids

Windows 8.1 with classic shell
As much as I love free software, I get too easily distracted by ricing and modifying config files
Windows has great free software (mpc-be, Sumatra pdf, autohotkey, irfanview...) and just werkz

All OSs suck
>use Mac or Windows
>have their support if something goes really wrong
>pray they honor their promise to release updates when their Pajeets leave a gaping security hole
>use Linux or BSD
>more or less on your own to fix things
>never have friends or get laid because your weekends are spent fixing the OS

>pacman -Syu
>system becomes a potato

Need arch for that

>2018
>not using TempleOS
The most innovative and sacred OS of our time, filthy heathens

Attached: ADD5CBFC-14FC-4ADD-A891-ECAB7783B4F0.png (640x480, 25K)

>2018
>Windows is spyware
>Linux is bloated
>freeBSD is coc'd
>macOS is still around
Why aren't you using openBSD user?

Windows 10 because it makes librefaggots mad
Get out of your parents basement and embrace the botnet

>What OS is best?
Best for what?

Windows because:
- most software support
- stable as fuck
- no need to manually config stupid settings you don't care about
- only OS with a file explorer that isn't trash
- only OS that cares about gamers
- only OS that has the most up-to-date drivers for your hardware at any given time

In short, Windows delivers a means for you to get most out of your computer. Unless you happen to be doing some niche stuff that really requires Unix, Windows is the best possible choice.

Based pajeet

gentoo

>spend entire days compiling
>"""coding"""
t. Not an actual Linux user

OS? Probably something Linux-based.

As for a distribution proper, my favorite is Fedora. Fresh packages and features + easy installation and low maintenance.

11.4 was already in the works long before the announcement. It coming to beta comes to no surprise to anyone who is in the loop.

>Service contracts until 2037
This means absolutely nothing. Oracle is still supporting old Sun UltraSparc III platforms from 2003/2004.

>You can still get sparc Iaas from oracle.
Have you ever heard of Liquidation?

Samsung is also in the game of buying companies out and shutting down projects that impede on their marketshare. They make more money in the consumer business than they ever would in an enterprise/large data setting. They would literally have to compete against the likes of HP, Dell, IBM, Oracle, etc. Not a very smart investment on Samsung's part.

Attached: 1507211845875.jpg (1520x1080, 205K)

>use Windows and Android
>learn how the majority of desktop and mobile computers work
>use gratis software to automate simple tasks
>end up having more free time without a mediocre desktop experience or buggy third party roms

>Asks for proof
>Receives evidence
>B-but it's not officially supported
Devs can't officially support everything you want, it has been shown you can run arch without systems.

Gentoo surpasses it.
>SystemD is optional on gen2

Mac OS is complete garbage.

install gentoo

Your parents are complete garbage

>it's bad because i parrot memes on Jow Forums

Attached: 1516292890189.png (1170x836, 47K)

Best post.

The one I'm building. Image related is an extremely rough mockup of what it's going to look like. Basically the underlying system will be a small microkernel OS that runs a stripped down Linux kernel as a server, which gives you binary compatibility and driver support (theoretically). The entire userland down to the graphical display server, the window manager, and even the command shell. I'm basically reinventing the wheel as a side project. The whole thing is written entirely with C, aside from a small amount of Intel specific assembly boot code which I plan on gutting out later to make the entire system portable. Hopefully within the next year I'll be able to get it looking like something close to the mockup I made in MSpaint.

Attached: projectviking.png (722x472, 84K)

/thread

emacs
informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html

Unironically, arch
>muh systemd
>muh pacman -Syu
>muh I use arch btw maymays
Its not that terrible anymore

Disgusting.

solaris died because systemd won
poettering and hugs killed zfs

>an init system was the reason a filesystem and OS died

Do you read the shit you type?

Attached: 1503639161340.jpg (262x337, 14K)

Manjaro/Antergos since it is Arch without an elitist community, i can ask questions in the Manjaro forums without being shunned down without answers a la Stack Overflow.

*fixed

Attached: 1528905412176.png (1170x836, 53K)

That rainbow skull cap looks pretty cool, would wear if bald/gay

SMF > systemd (which is a very shitty clone of SMF)

TempleOS. You Atheists need to see the light.

And you HAVE to go to manjaro forums to find out what did the last update break.
>we make arch user-friendly, you guys
>we test things, you guys

This, unironically.