Sublime vs VS Code

Been using Sublime for a while, considering a change, how does VS Code compare to it? And while we're at it, what other light weight editors are useful for programming?

>inb4 emacs
If you can convince me on it without brining up it's features that were only useful in the 90's (who even reads the news anymore) then go for it

Attached: sublime text.png (256x256, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vimuser.org/
syntax.fm/show/012/why-is-everyone-switching-to-vs-code
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

VS Code is open-source, has more features out-of-the-box, and is more easily extensible. I wouldn't consider it lightweight at all though, and Sublime is much faster.

VS Code is glitchy as shit. It literally flickers in hidpi.

Vim > Sublime > VS Code > literal feces > Atom > Emacs

If you are not on a piece of shit PC why would you even consider those? If you have the space and power to run an IDE (VS, QT, Eclipse) then you should.

Sublime is dead, it has almost no plugins compared to Atom and VS Code

Its main use for light editing was killed when they cut off the pirated serial keys

Eclipse Oxygen

Attached: Carollia_perspicillata.jpg (640x426, 86K)

they did?

vim

I switched to VS Code from sublime 3 weeks ago
VS code does everything sublime did, and has nicer git integration.
plugins are about the same.
tbqh either are fine.

Good list, desu
Why would I use a bulky-ass IDE when wiring with scripting languages?

use vim

>>inb4 emacs
>If you can convince me on it without brining up it's features that were only useful in the 90's (who even reads the news anymore) then go for it

I use Emacs for programming at work.

Org mode is pretty amazing. I think my notes and todos have improved my control over my workday significantly.

TRAMP is really nice for editing files as root or on remote machines, which you'll likely have to do sometimes if you do webdev.

Emacs has really good vim emulation, so if you're into vim's editing experience but you want a better selection of extensions and IDE-like features, Emacs is a good choice.

Emacs has this really nice feature that lets you search through all functionality and documentation for Emacs and your plugins and stuff from inside the editor. There's a lot to learn, and it can be overwhelming, but Emacs makes learning how to use it a very fluent experience once you get used to looking a few things up.

It's pretty cool. Just give Spacemacs a try to get started.

>vimuser.org/
(You)

Attached: 1515750155316.jpg (1198x1200, 108K)

Unironically try Light Table, user.

this. both have up and downs.

>VS Code compare to it?
It's shit. I have mbp and used it for general development, later I built a pc and put windows on it. Installe VSCode because MS, but it was shit. Just stick to Sublime adn if you can switch to linux

Sublime > Vim > VS Code > literal feces > Atom > Emacs
FTFY, although neovim... maybe?

>fud
It's alive and kicking, just updated a few days ago... maybe a week or so at most.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-13_01-07-59.png (384x192, 29K)

Love VS code, don't love Microshaft

Vim 8

Attached: 1475062348105.jpg (1920x1080, 85K)

Sublime is made by an Aussie who thinks a text editor is worth 80 bucks. Always use american

Nothing like competition to light a fire under the dev's ass. There was a period of a few months where he didn't update at all.

>VS Code
>lightweight
Pick one
VS code is electron garbage just like Atom.

I use Sublime to read large text files and scanning other people's source codes. I use Vi for simple editing in virtual machines. I use Emacs for everything else.

>3175

Attached: sss.png (367x202, 5K)

Atom is king

No

Because you are a lazy fuck that will type out two letters and press tab to complete the expression, love your fingers and hope to use them tomorrow again.

Both botnet. Install Vim or Emacs.

Why I like subl
>Not winblows
>Horizontal splitting
>Faster than vscode
>No telemetry as default
Why I like vscode
>Open source
>Easier to extend

I use vscode as my dev team uses vscode. I use sublime keybindings though.

I like vim, but it doesn't have multi line editing out of the box.

Emacs and Vim are not dumb, you are. It is like saying a piano is so inflexible because it can't do Prelude and Fugue in C sharp minor out of the box.

>Emacs and Vim are not dumb
Not saying that they're dumb, I love vim, it's just that it's much easier to use an IDE with vim keybindings rather than just vim itself. Also, faster - ever used vim with youcompleteme and 10 other plugins? Slow af, just to get the basic functionality you would normally get in an IDE.
> you are.
Ouch :(

I unironically listened to an hour long podcast yesterday about "everyone switching (from Sublime) to VS Code" - Wes Bos who wrote the book on Sublime has switched and he was one of the podcast hosts.
syntax.fm/show/012/why-is-everyone-switching-to-vs-code

Attached: pepe comfy.jpg (1082x695, 287K)

>Sublime
>VS Code
>other light weight editors
>running a browser to edit text and thinking its light weight

Attached: kek_001.jpg (34x45, 2K)

>he thinks Sublime uses a browser

retard frog poster

>a overly expensive editor with limited features
vs
>an editor run in a browser
use vim retard

>vim vs emacs is now sublime vs vscode
This isn't Jow Forums anymore. Nowmalfag computers, normalfag internet, normalfa text editors, what's next? Normalfag programming languages?
inb4 OK Google, make a website

So show me the code and prove me wrong
>inb4 you can't

Attached: 31924591_1684198478313005_8330918763784306688_n.png (530x532, 196K)

This, VS Code for features, Sublime for performance.

>sublime
>proprietary
>costs money
lol

Show me the code and prove that it does run in a web browser
>inb4 you can't

Attached: 1500021742275.jpg (640x586, 58K)