It's been only 10 years, but a single game I played for few hours managed to damage my HDD...

It's been only 10 years, but a single game I played for few hours managed to damage my HDD. I should have stayed with Jow Forums and not to venture to the normie land.

What should I do now? Live with it, till it'll die and save everything directly to an usb drive?

Attached: cyka.png (446x158, 8K)

>41 degree Celsius
no wonder that shit's failing just trashthe disk buy a new one and restore from backup

>software can damage hard drives

Attached: 1527590774222.jpg (239x268, 18K)

What's the problem? Just restore from backup

Sort of. The game was doing more read/writes than I was doing for years. A badly optimized game had my HDD at 100% for hours. Now compare that, with writing in word or a python script.

That's almost the ambient temperature in the cold snow covered Europe. Falls to 20 at winter, and cpu to 30 degrees.

Optimal temperature is 37 to 46 degrees, as long it stays 41 it's good, but above 50 you're screwed

what game were you playing?

And why's that?

My 10000 RPM disk tends to be at 50 degrees, should I be worried?

What the hell? Games almost don't use HD writing. What game were you playing?

I had my 10 year old WD black running at 60 degrees for years and it still hasn't given up. I do have a backup just in case though.

>game I played for few hours managed to damage my HDD
Nah. Bullshit. Shit happens, and it has nothing to do with your game.

41C is nothing. Read the specs for your drive. The operating temperature is listed there. 41C is well within safe operating temperatures for most drives.

That's pretty normal for 5x00 RPM drives. Most 7200 RPM drives will run about 10C hotter. No idea about 10k and 15k RPM drives since I have no personal experience with those. 5x00 RPM drives tend to be fine without airflow. If you have 7200 RPM, having a fan blowing at them is recommended I guess.

Hex: 7A03D8
Decimal: 7,996,376

Never trust S.M.A.R.T. to provide accurate info.

Ever.

If the manufacturer's diagnostic says the drive is clean, the drive is clean. It's the only trustworthy tool - not third party shit, just the one from the manufacturer of the drive.

Attached: Proof.png (680x775, 99K)

figured i'd check my hard drives and this popped up. does this mean i have to run chkdsk? i read online that it has something to do with out of place blocks or something.

Attached: hm.png (1031x715, 496K)

Dont forget to smash it with hammers like hillary

Streaming games do.
GTAs, Minecraft, etc.
Anything with no significant loading screens are constantly chugging your drive to bits.

Likewise, torrents. This is why you should up the cache in your torrenting client so it caches in RAM more, not only is it faster, it will save your drive from throttling.

Web browsers also throttle drives. Chrome especially sucks for this.
It's nowhere near as much as torrents or games, usually, but it's still a significant case of drive throttling. (and bottlenecking, while we are in the same avenue of concerns)

None of that makes a difference. Software does not ruin drives the way you imply. Either the drive experienced physical shock or vibrations, or it was simply your drives' turn to fail.

This whole thread reminds me of the old people that wait for the disk activity light to turn off because they think it'll damage the computer if they use it while it is "thinking".

>And why's that?
>what is thermal degradation of material

>It's been only 10 years

here is your answer faggot

No. That temp is completely normal. Well within the operating temperatures of your HDD. You can look it up in the specs for your drive.

>Yes... don't trust that filthy lying 3rd party software goy, use only the official manufacturer diagnostic (tm) for reliable results, be a good goy for your master

Attached: merchant-876x1024[1].png (736x860, 168K)

Yes, yes they do.
Drives aren't immortal.
Motors wear down. Heads fail. The disc platter itself fails because of bad sectors that cannot be recovered from.

I have a drive that runs stupidly slow because of how old it is and how long it has been on. The fact it is even alive is a miracle on its own despite being online (even now) for the past 12 years.

Mong.

>Likewise, torrents. This is why you should up the cache in your torrenting client so it caches in RAM more, not only is it faster, it will save your drive from throttling.
Im rarted
thx 4 tip

It's just a single bad sector. Make back ups and monitor that drive to see if that number goes up.

Playing a game isn't a major contributing factor. This is a process that takes a really long time. For a 10 year old drive, old age is a more likely factor. Drives fail, even when you don't use them. One shouldn't be afraid of using ones computer.

Tard.

What the fuck do you think causes the old age?
USE.
Motors in long, heavy-use devices need to get replaced as they wear down or they become inefficient or outright fail.
HDDs are no different.
Laws of physics, bitch.

How long should a nas/server drive (24/7 usage) last before it shat itself? Assuming you keep the thing properly cooled and don't subject it to sudden power cycles (aka = you use a UPS that will shut the server down properly if main power is lost). 5 yrs? 10yrs, well by then your hitting capacity limit so your gonna be replacing it anyway.

SMART is just extremely model and manufacturer-specific, which makes writing software that relies on it a huge pain in the ass. Manufacturer diagnostic tools don't do much, they just tell the drive to run its self-tests and little else. Just because they say the drive is fine doesn't mean it's not in a partial-failure situation, which is just as unacceptable.

>Reallocation Event Count: 123
You might want to check that drive a bit more closely, especially since your load/unload cycle count would put a WD Green to shame. Also, DMA CRC errors usually indicate a bad cable/controller.

Since you're running Windows I would recommend Hard Disk Sentinel for long-term monitoring and testing.

Pending sectors just means the drive's error-correction failed on a specific sector. A count of 1 is essentially harmless.
Depending on the severity of the error it could be fixed just by overwriting the sector (and possibly adjacent sectors) a few times. If the drive can't correct it, it'll be reallocated eventually instead.

Do you even know how hard drives work user?

Fuck seagate, got a few drives running in my server that are getting "questionable" smart flags. Basically the software is saying "dude your drives may be going tits up soon" One drive is a Nas model in a 2TB mirror setup, little over 2 yrs on it. Other drive is a 3TB barracuda in a parity config, little over 1 yr on it. Got my data backed up just in case. Trying to limp it along till year end Christmas newegg deals show up. Bring on the 8TB WD Reds at shockingly low prices, plz (aka $150 -200 mark), (I know, $100 is to much to hope for, god I wish)

>laws of physics, bitch
Holy fuck you're stupid