SERIOUSLY does anybody here know why is Golang very popular in DevOps and container software...

SERIOUSLY does anybody here know why is Golang very popular in DevOps and container software? I don't understand why it's preferred over Rust or even Python.

Attached: 1494937336828.jpg (680x697, 247K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)#Security_design
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>fast
>single binary
>simple

Static Go binaries run almost anywhere

Conversely it takes some effort to get truly static C or C++ programs. For starters, you can't use gethostbyname().

>Rust
>using this faggotry ever
shiggy

>even Python
binaries
types
>over Rust
easier

Rust is the first mainstream PL with linear types. You are judging it on the merits of the faggots developing it.

>this is what rust faggots actually believe

Name a prior language of comparable popularity that had linear types.

>types
Types don't matter. Data matters. All fancy type systems are a scam, Rust has no technical merits.

What langauge has better "Data"? You are just talking out of your ass. Fancy type systems are the way of the future. EG if modern OSes were written in not a shit langauge like C then the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability would have never mattered.

>All fancy type systems are a scam
>EG if modern OSes were written in not a shit langauge like C then the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability would have never mattered
Bait baiting bait?

You can write things very quickly with go and it's a compiled language

>You can write things very quickly
except you don't, it's one of the most verbose languages I've ever dealt with

thought you said gulag

Attached: Blank+_ef9eb38d58a03f75c3c66fa86487434b.jpg (325x244, 13K)

Attached: 1523621406205.png (300x250, 24K)

rust is easy as shit though; just think about your call graph for three seconds

>Bait baiting bait?
it's true, time to kick C to the curb.

C's fine as a portable assembler; the problem is with C++.

Still not untrue:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_(operating_system)#Security_design
>Singularity is a microkernel operating system. Unlike most historic microkernels, its components execute in the same address space (process), which contains software-isolated processes (SIPs). Each SIP has its own data and code layout, and is independent from other SIPs. These SIPs behave like normal processes, but avoid the cost of task-switches.

>Protection in this system is provided by a set of rules called invariants that are verified by static program analysis. For example, in the memory-invariant states there must be no cross-references (or memory pointers) between two SIPs; communication between SIPs occurs via higher-order communication channels managed by the operating system. Invariants are checked during installation of the application. (In Singularity, installation is managed by the operating system.)
Try doing that with the C type system.

The tools around it are too convenient and there's not much about the language itself that is bad, it's actually improving over time. Sane standards, not too complex. It's pretty good.

>easier
>ier
What benefit is there in thinking of something for 3 seconds when you could waste 0 seconds with the alternative?
>Rust in general
Waiting for Jai

Python is a bitch to deploy, has an horrendous standard lib and is slow slow slow. Rust is a nothing but a shitty meme obviously.

>binaries
why is this a good thing?
I WANT to know what I'm about to run across a bunch of servers.

Because people that actually work realize that Go has the necessary tools, has very good async and server capabilities.
People who don't work, like type theory autists or SJWish female attention whores, like Rust for ideological reasons.

its a meme language for sissies who are scared of C

A sound argument.
On my Jow Forums.
IN 2018.

>-Can I see it?
>-No...

Great standard library, easy concurrency, nice toolchain...

>Waiting for Jai
If only. Zig and Pony (great name, fuckers) will probably deliver first.

It is more likely than you think.

Pony is specialized for the concurrency niche and I do mean "niche"
I've never even heard of Zig it can't be too good

Download the source and compile yourself.

Develop Go on Arch, Gentoo or Ubuntu
Deploy binary on Red Hat, Alpine or Debian
It will just werk

>The gethostbyname*(), gethostbyaddr*(), herror(), and hstrerror() functions are obsolete. Applications should use getaddrinfo(3), getnameinfo(3), and gai_strerror(3) instead.

>getaddrinfo(3), getnameinfo(3)
Same problem.

I couldn't care who does it first, I care who does it best.

You can do the same with a scripting language.

>You can do the same with a scripting language.
why of course you can, and use the best scripting language ever! remember kids, it has batteries included!!!!

>python
>use shitty autism os package-manger, dependency not there
>accidentally forget to use --user when pip installing, break system
>still have to manually tweak environment to use virtualenv correctly or use tools like pipenv.
>setup.py tier bullshit for packaging and distribution.
>dependency is recorded in something that isn't a fucking setup.py and not something as completely useless as requirements.txt

Use a different scripting language.

>EG if modern OSes were written in not a shit langauge like C then the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability would have never mattered.
You're a fucking retard who has no idea what he's talking about. Get the fuck off the reddit hypewagon for once, Jesus Christ. You can exploit Spectre on any programming language with access to an accurate system timer.

because you can always provide the source and distributing binaries is better than distributing interpreters

>You can exploit Spectre on any programming language with access to an accurate system timer.
It needs to execute fast enough, too.

Which means Rust is exploitable.

Duh.

Rust's safety was always a lie. Any certified electrical engineer could have told you that.

Okey, how does javascript read memory from the cache?

Try gay_strerror(3)

>"accidentally" running pip as root

>read memory from the cache
ALL memory accesses go through the cache, you moron

That's not the answer smartass, how does javascript read the cache, after a specualtive exectuion attack, bit for bit, not some "64 byte cache line access activity"?

Nobody fucking "reads the cache bit for bit", in any language. Go read up on how spectre actually works and come back when you're done.

>Nobody fucking "reads the cache bit for bit", in any language. Go read up on how spectre actually works and come back when you're done.
I did: It pushes stuff onto the cache, so now mr. smartass, how to read the cache executing javascript in my browser?

You need to reread it then because you clearly didn't understand
Here's a question for you, Mr. Smartass: how to read the cache executing C in a standalone program?

Docker is written in Go.