Macbook air 2014

>i5 1.4GHz
>4GB RAM
>256GB SSD
Is this Macbook still worth it? I can get one used really cheap but i dont know if it will get outdated quickly.
I just want something light to have on my backpack that I can study and browse the web, and maybe watch a movie.
>Why a macbook air
I dont like tablets and this is the closest thing I found

Attached: Apple-MacBook-Air-front-screen.jpg (750x498, 152K)

i have pic related in 13 inches and 128 SSD.
I also bought 128 SD card with this chink dongle that makes it look like its nothing in the slot.
Im a happy Air user with its portability and insane battery life, although last month, i got sick of macOS and installed Xubuntu full disk.
So far, i can say it runs faster and I just love all these customability

When you say really cheap, what do you mean? Because these are usually crazily overpriced, so finding them only somewhat overpriced is not a deal.

Buy a Chromebook.

Even Windows runs better on macs than macos

Just shy of 300USD. The chromebook will cost me about the same and it just feels cheaper.

yeah but the computer is almost 5 years old and the battery might get rekt soon, is it a pain as DIY job?

damn, where are you buying them so cheap?

Im buying from a friend who wants to get a new Macbook Pro But i mean they usually go for about 400USD refurbished.
Im not buying refurbished so its worth a little less, I guess

Unironically get an X series Thinkpad

Yes everything runs better than macOS basically
Linux distros fuck the battery big time though, too bad I'd love to use it full time on my mac.
Windows is a good compromise, decent battery and drivers support and great performance. I'm okay with trading performance with privacy

It wasn't worth it then and isn't worth it now. Maybe except in comparison to newer macbooks, then it's an upgrade.

Depends on the price. I got the custom i7 version of the 13" 2015 pro for $800 not long ago.

Nah get an atom surface 3, 300x better than this constantly overheating and thermal throttling piece of dogshit

I would say get a T420 but it weights a ton, so

I have a late 2013 macbook air running the latest OS. I bought it new and I've only replaced the battery on it.

Pros:
>cheap on the secondhand market
>batteries are easy to replace
>it can handle 99% of basic computing and administrative tasks
>the screen looks decent
>easy to carry

Cons:
>Chargers are expensive to replace
>The built in audio is tinny
>unibody means certain fixes are difficult
>cooling is barely adequate

I use it for travel, word processing, and remote linux server administration. 720-1080p videos play smoothly, flash video and youtube is smooth. Since it is built on unix I can do a lot with the built in commands necessary to do my job. Video editing, gaming, data science, machine virtualization would all be chug and I would recommend a more expensive machine.

There should be a new affordable macbook coming out in the next few months I'll probably get that.

Those are way more expensive and they dont have the fanbase that Apple gets
I dont really like Apple products but that aftermarket for old devices is a great thing to have when buying used.

>study and browse the web, and maybe watch a movie
yeah, it's good enough for that. I'd say go for it if it really is cheap.

>cooling is barely adequate
I repasted my cousins and cut a hole out directly over the fan then molded a filter into it. Cut off 9 degrees at full load. Under a case it looks fine too.

just a repaste is fine.

another user here, yeah my Airs battery got fucked pretty hard(its a 2015 model), it can only charge upto 64% of its capacity but iam replacing the battery soon so hopefully i can get more hours out of it.

Install Linux on it so it doesn't become obsolete.

i5 1.4GHz still overheats? damn you Steve Jobs.
Anyway im looking to use it for really low demanding tasks, I have a MSI laptop and a desktop at home. So I guess it will work just fine?
But I just got tired of carrying my laptop because its too heavy and noisy and requires full sized backpack to carry it around.

Call Apple dude, my retina 2014 got it's battery swollen this year, and even though it was way out of warranty, they replaced it for free.

>i5 1.4GHz still overheats? damn you Steve Jobs.
base clock doesn't matter user, it probably boosts up to 3GHz.

i will man, the apple store near me has great customer service