Text editors as IDEs

anyone actually use their text editor(with plugins installed) as an IDE?
is this viable?

Attached: sublime-text-logo.png (550x275, 30K)

Emaca as a window manager with EXWM.

It's pretty viable however for everything you try to do with it there's always a specialized IDE that does it just a tad bit better than your frankenIDE.

does Notepad+ count?

It's just for fun and free software.
No viruses.

use Emacs to compile and another program to edit text.

This is the non-brainlet way to do things. Emacs is fine for some languages but for heavily nested markup it isn't great.

No it's fucking retarded.
Use a text editor as a text editor. If you want to use an IDE, use an IDE.

Using a text editor as an IDE would be like using a browser engine as a GUI toolkit.

>for everything you try to do with it there's always a specialized IDE
why use specialized ide for each language you code in, when you can use editor that you've already configured to your needs?

besides full-blown IDEs take ton of place, both on disk and in ram

I only use IDEs for C#, cause Visual Studio is so comfy and for Java, because Java projects are always bloated mess

You cannot use a text editor as an IDE anyway. Editing is only a small part of what an IDE does. Good ones include testing, code coverage/profiling, debugger, console, remote control, and so on. They're not more bloated than Photoshop or Blender, they're just powerful tools.
You can get vi bindings in most decent IDEs, that's a superior option.

Work at a software engineering company.
Everyone uses a text editor, emacs/sublime/etc.

There are only two people in the company that use an IDE, both are indians. (They also use Win+R to run everything, typing text into the start menu seems to confuse them)

Not saying you need to use a specialized IDE for Python, C#, Java and whatnot.
Just saying that those do it a bit better.

I agree mr. POO.

>Emaca
sopa de Emacaca

android, because I don't want to brick my second mobile phone.

Attached: 43427aa2-eb9b-4fc5-b1c3-e4318a17085a..jpg (900x900, 169K)

I use vim for editing text and I know some people try to turn it into a full IDE, but it really is kind of headache for that IMO. You could spend a whole month tweaking it and still have a ridiculously esoteric workflow. I use Atom as an IDE.

yes, I use VSCode as a TypeScript IDE

I think the point is that you stop using an IDE. You use a bunch of separated tools:

A text editor with proper linting (and perhaps even autocomplete).
A testing suit.
A build toolchain.
A version control system.

Depending on what you are trying to do, sometimes IDEs are not viable, perhaps you are using some obscure language or have a ultra complex testing suit that auto-deploys to a network of machines and automatically profiles them on their platforms, or have to deploy to some weird esoteric platform or devices, or use a weird VCS.

>Using a text editor as an IDE would be like using a browser engine as a GUI toolkit.
Had a loud lauther in the train. Thanks user.

>Using a text editor as an IDE would be like using a browser engine as a GUI toolkit.

Attached: 1522594411882.jpg (789x789, 182K)

Really activates my Electrons

>IDE

Attached: 42A7E6A7-A35F-41BD-BC66-4EFF128225CE.jpg (541x800, 68K)

this.
F11 doesn't compile my project. What now? I don't know the language.

I'd love to use sublime as my ide, but there's just not enough functionality available. Linting doesn't work even for popular languages like Java and intellisense is not available whatsoever. The built systems are good though

>i intentionally make my job take longer than it needs to

Attached: 9b8.png (680x747, 715K)