GABE NEWELL, "FUCKING KILL YOURSELF YOU FAGGOTS"

Gabe Newell is pulling the plug on Steam's support for XP and Vista, users of those operating systems will lose access to the software and all of their games. Gabe Newell was quoted saying "lmao these dumb fucks gave us a tonne of cash for the games and we are taking them away lmao FUCK gamers".

techradar.com/news/steam-games-will-stop-running-on-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-next-year

When will dumb gamer faggots learn that paid software was a mistake?

Attached: 1511772028134.jpg (1080x1350, 553K)

cute whore

Would you jam your cock up her shitter and pump her full of cum?

get fucked LOSER POORFAG HAHAHAHAHAH

>you can't play this game you bought unless you give another company money for different 1s and 0s

PC gaming, everyone.

you mean unless you download supported OS for free?
after 2 years in Jow Forums i still can't understand if "buying windows" is local meme or not

>you can't play this game you bought unless you break the law

PC gaming, everyone.

>seriously supporting software piracy

You are human garbage, you are lower than gutter trash, I hope you get bitten by some fag with AIDS and get HIV.

How long would you expect them to support stone age shit?

Electron is literally the worst thing that's ever happened to desktop applications.

ok now i know its just a meme, thanks

It's not illegal where I live.

No, it's not a meme.

Unlike you I have a job, that means I know to respect that people put time and effort into things. People worked hard to create software, and you're saying you should be able to steal it from them.

Regardless of your personal opinion on the matter, piracy is currently illegal. You can obviously pirate Windows, but if something illegal is part of the "normal" process then clearly there's something wrong with the process.

>paying for software
Modern Jow Forums everyone!

If we're talking about Steam the context is obviously "paying for software you use."

>developers refuse to complicate their program to deliver over 15 YEARS of compatibility
:thinking:

OH NO NO NO NO

>piracy is currently illegal
Downloading copyrighted material is not a criminal offence in most of the world.
You can be sued for downloading, it being a civil wrong/tort, but it isn't a criminal offence.

The issue is Electron of course. My Steam client on Arch is broken because of this shit.

I think making something work with 5 versions of one OS (NT) is easier than the countless hardware configurations that are possible.

Sounds like you've never actually maintained legacy software

Why is steam so shit now and what went wrong?
They can't fix scrolling in linux client for like 3 years already. And now they bring web client memes into windows version. Holy shit if gaben locks steam to win10 it will be a betrayal of millennium, considering how he shat on it on launch.

I love Pip!

hella yes i would

>So, how many gamers will this affect? In a recent Steam hardware survey, only 0.22% of Steam users run Windows XP 32-bit. Meanwhile, the number of Windows XP 64-bit, and Windows Vista users is so small, they don’t even show up on the chart.
how could they

Attached: blog_image_3822_4926_Webcomic_Name_April_Fools_Day_201703231756.jpg (1480x880, 161K)

Probably because most people with XP run in offline mode.

Why do people who play games refer to themselves as "gamers" and refer to their vice as "gaming"? Is it because they don't like admitting that what they're doing is playing? Akin to a child playing with a doll, sorry "action figure".

>supporting DRM
>using Windows
>playing games

If they don't have an internet connection they won't have any trouble with Steam updating and being unable to run either.

this tbqhwy famalamadingdong

Pajeets are not humam

Not enough users are running xp or vista. They are wasting money paying developers to maintain support, so they are dropping it

Keep crying pajeet

>People worked hard to create software, and you're saying you should be able to steal it from them.
And they were paid for their work as salaried employees. Do you really think Windows developers get a kickback from every copy of Windows you buy?

It's OK when Nintendo does it.

Attached: Logo_wiiware.jpg (492x95, 47K)

To the toilet old shit goes.

>assuming that disobeying the law is not normal
Fighting the law is a normal process in every society.

>using proprietary software
>using proprietary operating systems
>using deprecated proprietary operating systems
>demanding that proprietary software is maintained by other people for compatibility with deprecated proprietary operating systems
Fuck off back to kiddo.

>install gentoo
>install wine
>Steam on wine
>????
>profit

>her
him

You realize that entire community is running XP right?
Dropping support is one thing, actively fucking will people to stop them is another

>piracy is Illegal
Only in shitty third world countries

Why do nouns are verbed? Why can verbs be renouned? Why is agent noun exist?

"Most of the world" != "regions that Jow Forums gives a shit about"
In large parts of Europe, it's also a criminal offense, though it's not prosecuted ex officio

steam was the only thing that extended its support for xp and vista for 5 years
even ms gave up on them
suddenly gabe is bad because no one plays on xp or vista anymore

when will he kill 7 already?

I think his point was that a word for using games already exists: it's "playing". He is implying that gamers are childish and don't want to admit it, thus using a different term that implies a less childish activity than playing games.

It's copying, not stealing

Yeah they don't get a share of the sales but the company they work for has to have some kind of revenue so it can keep paying the salaries

>still using XP and Vista, outdated, unsupported OSes that are basically begging to get fucked over by malware by just opening a browser
Kids, it's time to ask mommy for a new PC, the hand-me-down early to mid 2000s Dell Mommy gave you eons ago isn't going to cut it any more.

>Europe
I'm in Europe, hans fucksticks.

>Not having in 2k18 atleast some cheap hardware that can run windows 7

Windows XP and Vista are dead operating systems and Windows 7 is on life support and is set to be completely discontinued less than 1.5 years from now. It's all about Windows 10 now.

>a system that you bought the games on can no longer be used to play the games

Attached: brad-neely-i-am-baby-cakes-diary-2.jpg (400x300, 20K)

How DARE they get rid of support for Windows 2000 and ME? Don't they care at all about gamers? :(

Did Steam ever have official support for them?

We know that Steam had official support for Windows XP because it's what 100% of people were using when Half Life 2 came out and everyone was forced to sign up to Steam to play it.

Reminder that the Windows 10 upgrade was literally free for an entire year. You didn't have to pay anything to get the latest supported Windows operating system with support for all of the latest technologies.

Microsoft doesn't even support XP.

>expecting Valve, a third party developer, to support an operating system when even Microsoft themselves don't support it

It's time to upgrade.

If they didn't want to support Windows XP they shouldn't have forced Steam on XP users when HL2 came out.

this is a good thing, i for one have wasted too much time on computers.

>too poor to upgrade to windows 10, microsofts most stable, secure, and user friendly OS to date
Sad desu

>Get with the times, gramps!!!!!!
>21st century called & said: Eat a fucking dick!!!!!!
If you're not aware by now PLAYING GAMES IS A SPORT, FAGGOT!! It enhances rapid eye movement & strenghtens your weak ass wrist thus decreasing blood flow to the hemoroids you got from sitting on your ass all day & being a fucking athlete.
How does it feel to be a fucking imbecile & not know (that comes from knowledge, nigger!!) the workings of the current year???!? Go back under the shitty rock you crawled from, you mongoloid!!! Nobody needs your useless input in modern times; we'll page you if we get stuck in progress.
I
D
I
O
T
!
!

>defending tech conglomerates
Cuck much?

If Microsoft didn't want to support Windows XP they shouldn't have released it desu.

Windows XP still works. By the nature of Steam it will no longer work.

Working is different to not working.

>Windows XP still works
In the same way Windows 3.0 "still works", doesn't mean you can fucking do anything on it. Grow up boomer it's time to drop a few dollars.

Windows XP is almost 17 years old. It's ANCIENT. I'm surprised ANY developer still supports it. I'm surprised anyone is still using it. It's heavily vulnerable to viruses and the 64-bit implementation is gimped compared to later versions.

Anyone who still uses it as a daily driver in 2018 should IMMEDIATELY upgrade to a newer version of Windows or switch to Linux or macOS.

win9x was still supported in 2004, graphics cards mostly dropped support in 2005 tho

>doesn't mean you can fucking do anything on it
What can't you do on Windows XP?

>Windows XP is almost 17 years old. It's ANCIENT.
>switch to Linux
So swap a 17 year old OS for a 26 year old OS?

0.22% for XP, Vista is so small it's not even listed. A legacy version of Steam with limited function would be nice for them.

That's a long way off going by these numbers.

Attached: survey.jpg (380x227, 52K)

Run 64 bit applications as well as I can on 7 and above. Enjoy software support from all my proprietary outlets. XP is vulnerable and its also to be honest quite filthy looking these days. Even Ubuntu has a bigger software library.

Yep, everyone know microsoft is strapped for cash and barely getting by.

>yfw Jow Forums supports vendor lock in

The latest kernel was released six days ago. Most mainstream distros were released within the last six months.

>linux babies are so entitled by their community driven spoonfeeding they think a PRIVATE company that is no way related to Microsoft has the "obligation" to support an unused and deprecated system

>the company they work for has to have some kind of revenue
Fair enough, will ~90 billion USD do?

Attached: microsoft.png (266x148, 10K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.

Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.

There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically seperate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.

But literally all they need to do is "nothing" to make it keep working.

Its not like you can go and buy supported hardware for your dos or 16 bit windows games anymore. eventually all of those floppies will become unreadable and the cds will rot.
The only way you will be able to play games from the past is if they were archived and had any drm broken.

Anyway you should all have know you were only ever paying for the right to use that software and valve always had the right to just take it away. It's in the user agreement and terms of service.

you should use services like GOG and archive drm free copies of games yourself on a backup server or something.

You do realize it costs server space to maintain? It costs more money to maintain Windows XP support than they actually get from it. Those 0.22 of XP users are probably backwater pajeets anyway.

(You)

>him
his
lrn2possessivepronoun

True. Should just be "playing games", and "game players" like football players

The server space will be mostly taken up with games, not Steam.

Think about it this way.
>have OS that works
>have game that works
>have program unrelated to both that doesn't
>game no longer works

Windows XP's only real dependency is an instruction set architecture, which don't exactly change much. Steam's dependency is an operating system, which do. The fact that Windows XP "still works" isn't because it's supported harder/built better, it's just because the things it depends on change less. (Also instruction set architectures actually have changed, ARM devices have become extremely common and XP doesn't support those, meaning in those scenarios XP does not "still work").

Steam always sucked. Dunno why people like it. Just an unnecessary layer of middleware between your OS and your games.

It has a Social aspect and Community implementation that is important to people who participate in the hobby. Makes it seamless to hook up with FRIENDS and get things with and for them. Atleast its not always-online requirement like consoles.
You keep talking in circles.

GameSpy did that also, but not having GameSpy didn't men you couldn't play your games.

bad meme

DOSBox, which runs on almost every single OS (thanks GPL!) has been a miracle for that purpose. :)

Attached: DOSBox_screenshot.png (640x400, 3K)

>KB4012598 was never released for windows xp
retard

Nice pronumbs you got there, xir! Keep checking the privlidge!

>It has a Social aspect and Community implementation that is important to people who participate in the hobby. Makes it seamless to hook up with FRIENDS and get things with and for them. Atleast its not always-online requirement like consoles.
Oh yeah communities and shit. I hate communities personally.

You don't need Steam to play games on PC. If you don't want to use the service buy a hard copy.

>If you don't want to use the service buy a hard copy.

How many of these "hard copies" are just Steam codes?

>Dunno why people like it.
It's just not any worse than the alternative. Ideally we'd have DRM free games updated through some kind of game package manager and everything would be amazing, but DRM is enormously popular with publishers so that's not gonna happen. We're then left with "DRM and updates for all games are packed into one program" or "DRM and updates are handled by a fifty different launcher applications". Steam is the more convenient of those two.

Have you literally ever left your house? Steam gift cards exist but so does a vast fucking library of standalone CDs that have nothing to do with the service.

Why can't I just download the binary directly from the company with whatever DRM they want? If I buy some other commercial software (let's say music software, Reason), I don't need a separate launcher app and it certainly has some sort of DRM or serial number going on.

Sorry, I stopped playing games when I was old enough to post on Jow Forums.