Do you play videogames on Linux? How is performance compared to Windows?

Do you play videogames on Linux? How is performance compared to Windows?

Attached: 1528746283-d6b3b6d9a9df8300e27ffd8d237790f9.jpg (750x904, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KORL144_co8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I play Cuphead on linux and performance and everythinng else is identical.
About to install Rocksmith 2014

>fucking 2d game
>performance

at least it's not first mario

I sometimes use emulators.

I use a toaster and most of my performance issues come from 8 GB of RAM not being enough and everything going into swap.

its trash

>gayman on Linux
just kys. emulators work fine tho

The only games I play at this point are Faster than light, CS: GO and nethack. All of then work fine, but I can't tell you the performance difference because I don't maintain a windows install on my gaming machine anymore

If you don't play new games performance will likely be the same. Older games that you have to run in compatibility mode on Windows will likely run better on Linux, since you have a granular level of control over it.

God i wish that were me

>the state of gaming on linux

Attached: Lac05p01P38BehindZekeOverIsland00.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

I moved to Linux and nothing changed for me. Everything I play is still available, and WINE is perfect for me.
My PC is crap so I stick to easy to run games, explains why WINE works so well, but still, I get my enjoyment from that and can still play my obscure japanese vidya and visual novels. And 200/300 games on my Steam are on Linux.

I played gamedev tycoon. Stutters and slowdowns on Linux, excellent performance on Windows.

Yes. It's aright, nethack runs just fine like in the '80s.

>shilling failed
>quotes the whole thread
>doesn't even make sense
that's minus 3 rupees, try harder next time rajeesh

FTL
Factorio
CS:GO
Hacknet
I dont think I need to worry about performance

I don't know.
I don't have a Windows installation to compare to.

I run wine for everything I can and I have a windows boot for everything I can't

Yes
Performance is the same on NVIDIA gfx cards for Steam games
Worse for wine games ( depending on directX versions etc)
Overall it is ok..!

Yes
Idk I haven't ran windows in a decade

DotA 2 ran a bit worse on Linux than Windows, since no one has responded with a real game yet. That being said, it was bloaty Ubuntu 15.10 or something when I did that test.

This is the way to do it.

I play CS:GO.

The overall performance is lower. However, my ping (the latency) is much lower, like 20% less than in windows.

I play opus magnum, dwarf fortress and factorio and they run identical to on PC

Attached: Opus Magnum - Very Dark Thread (2018-06-12-10-29-57).gif (826x647, 3.78M)

I used to in my 20s. I played world of warcraft using WINE because I could get a much higher frame rate when my OS was only using 100MB RAM of my 2GB (keep in mind, when I played WoW the minimum requirements were like 128MB graphics card, 1GB RAM, etc) so endgame raiding was ridiculous pulling 120fps on my old CRT while everyone else is screaming on teamspeak about not being able to move from graphical lag in a 40man with tons of adds.

But no, not since I finished college, got my M.D., bought a home, etc. I just don't have time for that shit plus a social life.

Full GPU passthrough using KVM/QEMU. Works like a charm. Close to native OS performance.

teach me how to play FTL, i'm too dumb to play engi vessels.

>Do you play videogames on Linux?
Yes. Still play DST, Civ V, and L4D2. There are some good picks that were ported to Linux, but do be wary of shitty wine wraps.

>How is performance compared to Windows?
I don't know. I do have a Windows drive, but I have not booted off it in years. Linux has tons of emulators and the games I generally play take hours upon hours. I'd love to setup a KVM with GPU passthrough, but I don't have another GPU. I hear it's getting better in not needing multiple monitors with LookingGlass and not sacrificing native Linux performance by switching cards whenever you boot into the VM. Still no holy grail of SR-IOV on consumers.

Attached: Windows versions and hammers.jpg (725x768, 59K)

In my qemu vbox I have basically native windows performance with non of the vulnerability.

I'm getting a Vega 56 soon and I'm going to try out looking glass with my 1060.

i've played warband, witcher 2, csgo, civ5, valve games, some others. only witcher 2 had problems, mostly because it was shitty wrapper and even configured wine worked better

I can't since I'm too bad at it, too. I really like the rock ship and the lanius one, but I never completed an engi run I think. I'm just dying all the time, same as in nethack. I've never ascended even once because every time I get far enough to reach new content I die almost instantly

nah

Attached: 20180513232501_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 877K)

Games running natively often times will run slightly better than their windows counter parts, using wine takes a considerable toll on newer games however.

Dying Light and Rust both work pretty well on GNU/Linux from what I have experienced. Other games like StarCraft 2 or Overwatch were playable through Lutris through Wine too.

Oh, ok. I only completed a run with the first vessel, I want to unlock mantis as soon as possible because boarding is fucking fun.
Also, Nethack is one of those trial-and-error roguelikes, I don't think it's possible to win without spoilers. You should play DCSS instead, it's less spoiler reliant (even if the new versions fucking suck dick).

Hotter temps.
At least when running it with wine.
Even games with low demands.

what game?

Linux is a kernel. It has no video games.

I play
>american truck simulator
>amnesia
>Arma 3
>Chivalry: MW
>euro truck simulator 2
>gmod
>l4d2
>Payday 2
>Rust
>tf2
All that runs natively and runs like the windows versions. No difference

Not native but runs in wine no problem:
>GTA SA
>GTA III
>Unreal gold
>fallout: NV

Only runs in a windows VM:
>Sim City 3000
It wants explorer so it crashes on save and load looking for explorer.exe with wine. Otherwise it runs, but you can't play much without saving.

Not tested:
>GTA V and IV
>Far cry 3 and 4
>cod MW2 and BO
>Red Orchestra 2

your mom is a kernel too

There arent many games you can play there but at least renpy games works fine with wine

sometimes

Attached: a.webm (708x569, 2.88M)

Man, Road Rash was great.
Fond memories of dodging zebras and hitting people with chains on my childhood Genesis.

Steam on linux works fine. I think like half of steams library will run on linux x64 right now. Maybe another have of the other 50% will run in Wine perfectly.

For the other 25% pass through GPU drivers to Windows VM's will be the norm in another few years.

I'd say Linux gaming is doing very well.

yea, the original PC port is great, too. that's the one i started with
i also tried RR64/3D/Jailbreak, but i don't like those nearly as much

>Sim city 3000
Cities Skylines runs native on Linux.

Energy Airforce Aim Strike!

Attached: 20180524151744_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

>run over the flag girl
you're alright

>not posting xplane

Attached: full-979-129514-x_plane_2016_11_28_12_00_05_385.jpg (1650x928, 262K)

based MU-2 pilot
i'm enjoying the pc-12

>This thread
>Wine performance is terrible for newer games
>They don't use DXVK

Niggas, I only play Overwatch on Linux and I get absolutely the same performance I get on Windows with DXVK on Linux. 300 FPS anywhere except on teamfights with ultimates everywhere and shitloads of particles everywhere it drops to around 260.

I also get better mouse movement on Linux since I can actually control how I want every single damn thing and not do Gates' bidding on Winblows.

Attached: 1528599700839.jpg (240x300, 17K)

Gaming on Linux sucks. Not only is a lot of software unavailable, but even if you have the same program the performance is worse.

I use emulators cause I like to play old games. MAME performance on Linux compared to Windows XP is awful, dips below 100%. There is no package build for Shmupmame for lower input lag either.

Other emulators like Desmume not only perform poorly, but they're missing tons of options available on Windows too. And then other emulators are only available via libretro, which guts options you'd otherwise have.

The post above me says he has better mouse movement on Linux but I have to assume that's a lie. Linux doesn't have the software to finely tune how mouse acceleration behaves, unlike Windows.

For now gaming sucks, maybe in the future it'll be good.

Why does this pic make my pee pee feel funny?

Most games I've played run just fine under Wine, but I do play a lot of older games, so the bugs have been ironed out.
Recently I tried playing Halo Online though, and it didn't work under wine. Turned out to be 3D DXT5 textures, which aren't supported by the driver. So I wrote a CPU decompression function and fixed it. Apparently it works natively under Gallium Nine, which I would've done if I had AMD. Anyways, if a game doesn't work, figure out why and fix it yourself if it isn't too difficult. You'll get smarter, and you'll help others out in the process.

Attached: t.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

You want to be a sub in a femdom relationship

>matrix without katakana

Attached: 1523408176602.png (128x128, 5K)

>The post above me says he has better mouse movement on Linux but I have to assume that's a lie. Linux doesn't have the software to finely tune how mouse acceleration behaves, unlike Windows.

Isn't the "software to finely tune how mouse acceleration behaves" just an algorithm on top of the actual input?
I remember seeing a semi-pro CS:GO player recommending to turn that off.

Attached: 1298416246.png (381x500, 277K)

1080ti owner here. I play DC:SS at a full 60fps no problem.

CS players don't know what they're talking about and flatly believe mouse acceleration is bad because they've never played a game that has implemented it well.

youtube.com/watch?v=KORL144_co8

This video explains why mouse acceleration is good better than I could. It also shows the software which allows you to better control mouse acceleration, which is only available on Windows at the moment.

When it works, its great. The games I play most happen to perform about the same, but I've run into a few that ran a bit better or worse.

Most common issue tends to be some bullshit like the steam controller not working, or being unable to alt-tab without crashing. This has happened on a few games, but its certainly the minority.

I only play native games, I don't use wine at all since I still have a windows partition, although there aren't that many games I like enough to reboot for. The last windows game I played was DOOM2016, but I'm excited for Wolfenstein 2, I just haven't bothered to install it yet.

Kind of like how heterosexual males flatly believe that having their anus penetrated is enenjoyable because they've never had someone penetrate their anus in the right way. Makes sense.

Half-Life 2
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Dota 2
Smooth like butter desu

>unenjoyable
fixed

Mouse Acceleration and Anal sex both feel great, but I wouldn't want either one 100% of the time

No, I don't play video games.

That is a very cute picture of Akari. Mind if I save it?

Performance depends on the game. If Linux was first class in development then performance is usually about the same. If it's a port it'll depend on how good the devs were with porting it. It could range from being almost unplayable to being on par with Windows.

be my guest, it's my first piece of OC