What's the goto guide for learning linux?

What's the goto guide for learning linux?

Attached: i can computer.jpg (800x600, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
oliverelliott.org/article/computing/tut_unix
docstore.mik.ua/orelly/bookshelfs.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

goto is considered harmful, my friend.

Common Sense

install gentoo

You'll learn how to set kernel settings. From there you can expand your studies and learn more about linux, the kernel, itself.

I've used a few different linux distros but never really learned the ins and outs of it. I guess I could just try to learn by messing around with it but I feel like there is probably some more structured and efficient way.

Start here:
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home
Next, the Arch and Gentoo wikis are great for learning about Linux (also install Gentoo and maybe Arch too):
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_page
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
Once you're ready, set up LFS:
linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/download.html
Depending on what you're trying to do at the time, there are countless other possible sources of knowledge - use Google to find them.

Just read The Unix Programming Environment

I currently read The Debian Administrator's Handbook

Use it, fuck it up eventually and repair it yourself

install GNU/HURD

Literally, install gentoo.

Put any old distro on a box to use, and "learn as you go", but also install gentoo on another box (or VM) following their guide, which will give you excellent insight into it's guts - which you can then apply on your "real" distro.

Install gentoo. It's a meme for a reason.

Whatever you do, don't install gentoo or arch as your first distro unless you're legitimately smart. It's just too much to handle because you don't know what you need and don't need to create an operating system. I just wanted to make a nice rice and even though I successfully got arch running perfectly fine, I bricked my laptop after fucking up the partitions when I tried to dual boot it with kali. Fuck swap partitions.

What he said.

Thomas Paine was dead long before Linux came along

Linux wikis and manpages.
Also good resources.

Whatever you do, install on a dedicated computer, and don't use any meaningful data until you REALLY know what you are doing. You'll know when that is.

Until then, you can fuck up all you want, with impunity, and learn as much or as little as you wnt to.

Protip:
Start with a retard distro (Mint, Ubuntu, etc.) - do NOT try to start with Gentoo, Arch, etc.

You're welcome.

>start with a retarded distro
>don't start with arch/gentoo
I agree with this, but there is no reason not to try and install arch/gentoo every once in a while in a VM. When I was a linux newfag I had ubuntu but every now and then I'd try to install arch in a VM, I failed a lot, but everytime I failed, I'd annotate in which step I fucked up and later on looked up that step: why is it for, how to do it, etc., so at every try I'd go further and further, until the day I managed to install it nicely. This not only taught me to install arch, but also to know what I was doing during the install instead of merely copying and pasting like a braindead

Doing it yourself, faggot.

Less ironically, the arch user wiki page is really fucking useful.

Linus Torvalds *created* Linux when he was like, 16, so as a 25 year old man I think I can handle Gentoo

>common sense
>google how to install arch
>enter the command to download all the necessary packets
>fails on the first one
Either all the guides are outdated as shit or some higher power hates my existence

Attached: 1525625420676.png (1005x576, 372K)

You either failed to:
Create the partitions correctly
Mount the partitions correctly or
Make sure to setup the network

Look at those capacitors

start with a easy and well documented distro like ubuntu or mint
just install it and try to do your usually work with it.
you will fail, kill your system, start over again and again. but its worth it and you will end up understanding and enjoying a linux system.
i started using ubuntu 3 years ago, just to test it on a cheap laptop.
nowadays i rarely boot up windows.
win10 is only used for gaming on my maschine.

Learn pipelines and abuse them in small bash scripts

using it, really just use it. if you don't know how to do some common task on Linux just look it up. If you are somehow unable to do something that you're used to on Windows, look it up.

oliverelliott.org/article/computing/tut_unix

Why the fuck would I fail and kill my system just by browsing Jow Forums and programming? Wtf? Is Linux really that frail? Everyone says "you will fuck up and then repare the damage" but I NEVER had to do this on Windows.

its not frail, however linux does not babysit you.
unlike windows if you command something, it will obey.
even if you make a typo that leads to severe datacorruption and fucks up your os, it will obey.

learning to think about what you are doing is really hard if you only used windows so far.

linux grants you access to a lot of things that can be broken easily, while windows and mac os lock that stuff up.
windows10: rightclick on c:, format. NO, i cant let you do that.
cmd->format c No thats a bad idea

linux: terminal rm -rf /
"ok sir, i am going to fuck myself up"

You see, things are such shit out of the box in Linux that you have to do a bunch a bullshit just to change how fast your mouse scrolls.

Really fucking gay

Aspie's

why is evan opening up that power supply?

Hello

$ rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

see try to find your mistake and learn from it.

>learn how to navigate in terminal
>create files/folders
>copy, move, delete them

>learn about important locations
>etc, dev, bin, sys, ...

>learn about user and group management
>add user, add to group, change pw, delete user
>change file/folder ownership/permissions

>look up basic commands/programs
>find, vim/emacs/nano, man, ...

>learn about daemons
>make stuff start on launch/chronically

as a start, after that you should look into stuff specific to what you want to do with your system.
also, there are a few things which have to be done a bit different, depending on the distribution you choose, so stick with one for some time at least.

imo a good start is to install cygwin on windows, especially when you don't want to go balls first into linux.

though if you just want a facebook machine, don't bother looking too deep into it.
grab the ubuntu iso and maybe look up how to install proprietary drivers
or, you know, stick with what you are familiar with

Lol you used the same swap?

Oreilly books from the 1990's.
Most are free.
docstore.mik.ua/orelly/bookshelfs.html

I don't know about gentoo but arch really started me up. The arch wiki is almost all you need but there are some recommendations that are literally retarded.
First I thought I was retarded because I used Ubuntu, the resources are very bad. You really don't learn anything with Ubuntu. So if you want to LEARN is not a good place to start, the only stuff I've learned from Ubuntu is the partitions a basic system has, boot, swap (even though is optional if you shit ram, but then Idk if is better to hibernate to swap)
Also just because I wanted to install Kali on a USB to check out if I could learn anything: to dd an image to an USB,
that every shit you connect is on /dev/ and you can mount and umount, basically to make an encrypted partition that boots to Kali and that is not from Ubuntu resources is arch documentation. I installed arch and I felt like I understood what every piece of garbish I were doing even though obviously I don't know every kernel module or base package I installed, and overall it looks like I installed more than I should, like there's support on the boot for hardware I don't use, the arch wiki says you can explicitly declare them so is a thin faster. Just understand what every step is and sometimes you can or have to skip them. You get to a console and all you need to use is list your partitions with parted, make them label them chroot to them and install the base shit and grub. At first probably grub won't work so you will have to figure that out, the arch wiki is all you need really and then you read the recommendations after install. The brainlet thing to do is install xorg with default settings, and then full gnome on top or whatever de you like and you're done. You just look for drivers and shit.

*I meant Kali documentation.
Also something the wiki doesn't say explicitly is that you have to use a shell text editor, just use nano since it just werks at first.

there is no single guide, though I guess "linux from scratch" could teach you a lot of stuff (that is, if you have a lot of time...). never tried it, though

anyway, install some distros in VMs, mess with stuff, break it and then fix it, find interesting and awesome stuff to do with it (sometimes the stuff linux can do will blow your mind), etc.

for example, a few tasks could be: setup a web server, a dns server (dnsmasq is easy to setup, plus also works as dhcp server), install a few webapps, shrink and extend drives, install many desktop environments in the same VM, etc., etc.

git gud

>16
that's a strange way to write 22

only since 2006 and only in GNU rm